(shouting)

COMING UP NEXT now w/ BUCKET.TXT

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: COMING UP NEXT

Post by thatguyif »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago Collabs and one-man hacks like YEAH or FreedoMN are seen as "special" because they go the extra effort to create their own graphics, music, code, etc. In collabs' case, because they actually have people who are interested and have the ability to work in those areas. Even the better vanilla hacks have people who are able to modify the original graphics to make the game look new.

Sure, level design is the meat of a game, but the "flavor" of a game matters too. Consider graphics, music, custom sprites and the like as sort of spices for the meat. Without spices, the meat's flavor can be bland and forgettable, unless its normal flavoring carries it well enough (Rise to the Challenge, Return to Dinosaur Land...). With proper spice usage (e.g. not Brutal, not just tossing resources haphazardly in an attempt to look different), it can elevate the tastes so much higher.

I know it's impossible for Everyone to just decide to pick up art, music and programming just to make a Mario hack, even if I feel picking up new creative hobbies is always good, you don't have to be good at something to have fun with a hobby. carol himself wasn't exactly good at programming! But in the end, that's why a lot of people (not everyone) just aren't into most SMW hacks anymore. They've stagnated.
Except in this geringonça we call modern society, we've been conditioned to see any sort of creative hobby that doesn't have a payoff as a waste of time, if only because we're unable to get paid our proper share. A lot of these people that were able to do this not only have the time but lack the anxiety that makes creative pursuits worthwhile. The number of those people dwindle by the day.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Except in this geringonça we call modern society, we've been conditioned to see any sort of creative hobby that doesn't have a payoff as a waste of time, if only because we're unable to get paid our proper share. A lot of these people that were able to do this not only have the time but lack the anxiety that makes creative pursuits worthwhile. The number of those people dwindle by the day.
Oh worm.

Capitalism is the biggest obstacle to art. If you don't make money you're fucked six ways from Sunday and it is heartbreaking.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
UFereSanyo
"UHH! That's Right, I Exist"
First name: Aarón
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by UFereSanyo »

raocow, I would love to see you playing A Hat In Time (PC/PS4/Xbox one/Nintendo switch) it's a 3d platformer with the likes of Super Mario Sunshine, Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie and as open world as you would like it to be. It has a lot of basic and advanced platforming elements and really adjusts to every type of player!
WERE CLOSER TO DECEMBER!!! :rao:
Uhh! That's right, I exist.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: COMING UP NEXT-soon-hopefully

Post by Awoo »

UFereSanyo wrote: 4 years ago raocow, I would love to see you playing A Hat In Time (PC/PS4/Xbox one/Nintendo switch) it's a 3d platformer with the likes of Super Mario Sunshine, Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie and as open world as you would like it to be. It has a lot of basic and advanced platforming elements and really adjusts to every type of player!
WERE CLOSER TO DECEMBER!!! :rao:
It's already on his B-side list so hopefully we don't have to wait too much longer for it :pal:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: COMING UP NEXT-soon-hopefully

Post by SAJewers »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago It's already on his B-side list so hopefully we don't have to wait too much longer for it :pal:
On that note, raocow needs to update that list.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

oh wow yeah no kidding

b-side looks so naked now
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I remember in early 2018 there were only two games left in the B-side lineup before all these great titles were added with the next voting batch (which is still ongoing as of this date) :catplanet:
ACesspoolofHatred
What vision is this? What happens to the world?!

Post by ACesspoolofHatred »

oh no

the looming spectre of december

we are all of us about to be infected with decemberitis
I have no social media presence, my only purpose here is to dismay and terrify you all, and I hope to continue to do so - Me, on one of Duvi0's Drawful streams
Y'know, Cesspool, that is, like, honestly... That was what I expected from you, and y'know what? That's my favorite thing that anyone does, specifically. Cesspool I adore you. - Duvi0 that same stream
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

aaaaaand it's gone without so much as a comment
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

AuraLancer wrote: 4 years ago aaaaaand it's gone without so much as a comment
we had plenty of comments, look at the Mosts forum
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

But not in this thread!
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Man, if pretend the b-side list is updated, it's super short now.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

obviously this means that the channel is nearing done

soo n there shall only be sonic

and then the void
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

At one point Sonic and the void will become one, and you won't be able to tell when it happens.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

fine fine done
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

raocow wrote: 4 years agofine fine done
wow

such a great update

would recommend to my doctors
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Clearly the b-side list can and should be slightly lengthened by adding the two RKS alternate character playthroughs

It's been like eight years since we had a Meegamans, clearly it's time to get back to them
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Add Celeste: Farewell plz
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I think both are on his bucket list? We'll probably see it, the question is when.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago Add Celeste: Farewell plz
Yeah it'd be fun to see raocow return to Celeste for the final chapter.

I didn't even know there was a new chapter put in Celeste until I saw it come up on AGDQ's schedule. I guess it being part of a free update made it get less news? Or I just wasn't paying attention enough.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

tirakai wrote: 4 years ago Or I just wasn't paying attention enough.
If you mean the bumped up Celeste thread or big red banner near the top of the page pointing to the Mosts where Farewell was brought up, I agree
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

tirakai wrote: 4 years agoI guess it being part of a free update made it get less news? Or I just wasn't paying attention enough.
It definitely got a fair chunk of news and even re-reviews. It's an incredible experience, but a really damn hard one - the first third is doable if you didn't finish the game, but the middle and the end are pure postgame difficulty, escalating into Speedrunner Tech levels of skill requirement. However, I managed it, and I'm definitely no speedrunner - I'm just glad it eased me back in by degrees, as it had been over a year since I'd last played it to 100% completion.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

farewell is kind of incredible and it took me about 5 hours to beat my first time through
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Now that New Super Marisa Land is one game away, I want to give raocow a heads-up:

NSML was originally released in 2010, and it had patches up to version 1.03. About a year after the game was out, Twilight Frontier released a content update (patch 1.10) that adds some extra levels. Problem is, the update patch reintroduced some of the glitches that previous patches fixed. (I'm guessing that the content update was built from an earlier version of the game, and it's possible that some new content was present much earlier, but wasn't finished and ready to be released yet, so it was held off until the update patch.)

It's up to you, but I would personally recommend that you play through the original content with patch 1.03, the latest version before the content update was out. After that you can add patch 1.10 to see the new levels. This is how it was for those of us that first played NSML before the content update was yet available.

To apply a patch, add the files in the .zip into the game directory (if files with same name exist, replace them).

Patch 1.03 - Mirror
Patch 1.10 - Mirror
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago Now that New Super Marisa Land is one game away
Shoot, this means I have to watch the next game to make sure I win the NSML thread-making race <_< >_>
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image