(shouting)

A Hat in Time Death Wish - Wishing for Peace and Tranquility

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: A Hat in Time - Beret

Post by ano0maly »

Exploring the Mafia town today felt very much like... being a tourist in another place. You have a place you're trying to go to, but there's all sorts of sightseeing along the way.

I agree with BobisOnlyBob with regards to text - that's just how it is with individual text boxes, found in visual novels and other games with those kinds of dialogues. To be more like a natural conversation, you would need to make the whole dialogue sequence a single cutscene, or at least have it progress in chunks of a cutscene. That might make it flow more smoothly, but it could be less convenient if you're the type that likes to take the time to read the lines.
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

"your search history has been submitted for federal review"

This is indeed a dystopia! GASP! What if Hat Kid is related to the angel from Cat Planet, on the run after the Crowmunist regime tried to arrest her family?
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Okage: Shadow King (2001)
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
warpio

Post by warpio »

In terms of overall presentation/aesthetics, Subcon Forest is the point for me where this game went up a whole lot on my ranking scale of that factor. (and it never really comes down from that quality for the rest of the chapters either imo).

I just love how the firey lantern-filled forest in the background has this depth of field effect on it making it look incredibly mysterious... That (and other things later on) together with the music choices for this level creates this amazing atmospheric vibe all throughout.

btw yeah I had a bit of frustrations with that big tree too my first time getting here. Although I can also attest that it's a thing that can become really easy with the more precise mastery of the engine that just comes from playing to full 100% completion.
Window Squeegee
Hog with a Blog
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Window Squeegee »

I didn't even realize you could scale the big tree until finding the achievement for it after beating the game, and rao's doing it literally first thing in the entire level. This is already shaping up to be one of the most entertaining Hat Time LPs ever :o

also I look good in hats
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

Not gonna lie, I had a laugh, very funni
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
jasper_

Post by jasper_ »

dev talk: the tree is indeed meant to be a hard challenge. originally, the thorns around the tree were stricly decoration but experienced playtesters tried to climb it, so we turned it into a challenge instead. you'll see what relics unlock later, but they're really not nothing.

fyi, the dash is your big air control button; between it and the cancel you actually have massive distance & hangtime, as it's basically a quadruple jump, and this challenge was designed for people familiar with that.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

why would someone bother telling rao there's a thing in the pillows when he literally can't even do anything about it yet because he doesn't have the ice hat

what a useless thing to say

convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago

why would someone bother telling rao there's a thing in the pillows when he literally can't even do anything about it yet because he doesn't have the ice hat

what a useless thing to say

no but what if i tell him personally that he can find the secret which he has no reason to know about yet if he starts grinding away to unlock a hat in movie world against his wishes and then use that hat on that mysterious plug so that he can unlock the ability to read two lines of dialogue a video, it's really important, i need to inform him of this

granted it's definitely something i wish i was spoiled on when i played, but historically raocow hasn't >:(

aww, we aren't adding every single hat variant raocow unlocks to the rotation? mods you are already going out of your way to do something fun but i am not pleased and demand more
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Reecer7 wrote: 4 years ago aww, we aren't adding every single hat variant raocow unlocks to the rotation? mods you are already going out of your way to do something fun but i am not pleased and demand more
what's that pink thing on your head then :slow:
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: A Hat in Time - More Hats

Post by raocow »

so ah
some of these timepieces are really involved huh
like I don't mind but tonight's gonna be a big video. I don't want to cut the footage in half because, like, everything depends on itself
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
First name: Violet

Post by 10204307 »

I'm really enjoying the atmosphere of the Subcon Forest area, especially the music... It's very reminiscent of Chapter 4 from Paper Mario TTYD, which I loved in spite of all the backtracking precisely because of how strong the atmosphere was.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago so ah
some of these timepieces are really involved huh
like I don't mind but tonight's gonna be a big video. I don't want to cut the footage in half because, like, everything depends on itself
this entire LP is gonna be like this but also it's gonna be like, back-and-forth with it too

some of them are pretty short and quick, others take a loooong long time
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow, about the crash. The game being cpu heavy and having crashes related to it is unlikely to be particularly alleviated by lowering the graphical settings. Graphics settings rely far more on your graphics card and have little to no impact on the cpu.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Roll credits.

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

raocow i'm proud of you for sequence breaking this level at the earliest opportunity you could find :lol:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc

Post by Falky »

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Window Squeegee
Hog with a Blog

Post by Window Squeegee »

There's not particularly any reason to play this level more than once, but if you'd want to for whatever reason,

you get the timepiece no matter who you pick. The dialogue for each choice is pretty great.

Ledgem
Bearer of the word Night
First name: Whimsikarren

Post by Ledgem »

Oh boy this game! When this first came out I absolutely loved it, to the point where playing mario oddyssey felt empty and souless when I played it afterwards. Without getting into too much detail and comparison, I much prefer Hat in Time's small number of "stars" to collect along with rarer collectables like tokens and presents over the million moons. HiT's collectables just feel more individually impactful.

You can see with this level that this game does some weird stuff and I love all the different things it tries to do within the engine as well. Every world has it's own flavour and is kinda like it's own game and Subcon forest is probably what pushes this over the top for me, personally. It's like it was made for me.

It was a bit disheartening to hear stuff about the devs, but it's 2020 and most every team that makes an entire videogame has at least 1 not so great person. A good way to look at it is that one person does not a dev team make; we can appreciate art without destroying the whole when it comes large multiperson projects.

But yeah, I replayed this game alongside this LP with the DLCs and. Well, I'll share my thoughts about them when we get to it,
but I did not enjoy one of the DLCs nearly as much as others here and elsewhere have expressed and in fact think it's more to the game's detriment to the game. But that's for much later.
I should draw a signature if I'm gonna actually post here...
KayhemMaus
I keep breaking my face on SMBX
First name: KM
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by KayhemMaus »

nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
jasper_

Post by jasper_ »

yeah, the helper hat has a few bugs, especially in the more nonlinear levels. it basically looks for the closest progress point, or uncollected thing, and falls back on the nearest door if it doesn't know what to do. given the way this level is laid out internally, it can sometimes find stuff not in the current room. so it's not always perfect, and isn't smart enough to know how to route paths *through* doors.

just be aware of that, that it might not always be 100% correct. most other levels it should work ok, though.

also, the voice actor for the conductor is the announcer from smash.
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

That's a pretty spiffy voice for the conductor. Makes sense now!
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

The Conductor is definitely better when he's ranting at the silent protagonist rather than having a conversation with anyone else, as per raocow's comments on dialogue and flow in games with press-to-continue dialog boxes.

TIL The Conductor is also Joker from Persona 5 (also appearing in Smash)
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

given the video's length, i watched it at 1.5x speed and the conductor was perfectly pleasant to listen to
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
mogwaimon

Post by mogwaimon »

Ledgem wrote: 4 years ago Oh boy this game! When this first came out I absolutely loved it, to the point where playing mario oddyssey felt empty and souless when I played it afterwards. Without getting into too much detail and comparison, I much prefer Hat in Time's small number of "stars" to collect along with rarer collectables like tokens and presents over the million moons. HiT's collectables just feel more individually impactful.

You can see with this level that this game does some weird stuff and I love all the different things it tries to do within the engine as well. Every world has it's own flavour and is kinda like it's own game and Subcon forest is probably what pushes this over the top for me, personally. It's like it was made for me.

It was a bit disheartening to hear stuff about the devs, but it's 2020 and most every team that makes an entire videogame has at least 1 not so great person. A good way to look at it is that one person does not a dev team make; we can appreciate art without destroying the whole when it comes large multiperson projects.

But yeah, I replayed this game alongside this LP with the DLCs and. Well, I'll share my thoughts about them when we get to it,
but I did not enjoy one of the DLCs nearly as much as others here and elsewhere have expressed and in fact think it's more to the game's detriment to the game. But that's for much later.
I don't know about Odyssey being empty and soulless, I personally thought Odyssey was the best Mario game in like ten years and was a labor of love that clearly shone bright, but to each their own. Hat In Time is great, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it quite matches Odyssey, like...at all, as a magnum opus. But there's nothing wrong with that, we're talking a kickstarted indie game from a fledgling studio compared to one built on the back of nearly 30 years of experienced devs and millions of dollars. As for the DLCs...
that DLC you're talking about is daunting, for sure...hell, I still haven't completed it, I'm only at around 70/114 of those deathwish stamps, but raocow has put up with worse, I think. He'll be able to do it, if he sets out to do so, but the question is whether he will make the attempt or not? Nyakuza Metro is totally worth it though, that one was a fine level and more in line with the rest of the game's atmosphere and difficulty.