(shouting)

Spoilers & Backseat Gaming Problem Discussion

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: Spoilers & Backseat Gaming Problem Discussion

Post by Kilgamayan »

Independent of everything else I feel like emulating the approach to spoilers of a guy that was literally banned from this forum for his approach to spoilers seems like A Bad Idea

But that's just, like, my opinion, man
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago My problem with spoilers discussions is that when those who even accidentally spoil are treated with hatred.
This wasn't an an accidental case, though. You intentionally took content out in the open when it was originally intended to be spoilered out. There's no need for that.

You may say that there was no need for them to have the tags, but so? Is it that big of a deal? People took issues because, rather than disputing whether they truly qualified as spoilers, the reason you gave for this was simply that the games weren't "going to be played anytime soon" and so it didn't matter if they were spoilers. That's a risky assumption to make on behalf of raocow, and of others that may not have played those Kirby games.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago
thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago My problem with spoilers discussions is that when those who even accidentally spoil are treated with hatred.
This wasn't an an accidental case, though. You intentionally took content out in the open when it was originally intended to be spoilered out. There's no need for that.
I'm not interested in discussing that incident. I'm making a broader point about the attitudes here regarding what happens when someone spoils, intentional or accidental.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

FWIW I recall an event during AtMM where I unthinkingly posted something spoiler-y without tagging it. Ashan got on my case about it, I apologized and went back and tagged it, and nothing else ever came of it that I am aware of. I suppose it's possible that Ashan is silently nursing an eternal grudge against me, or that a mod has carved a jagged tally mark into the stone next to my name in a hypothetical staff forum, but I don't get the feeling either of those are the case.

What I'm getting at here is that I'm not at all aware of some sort of stigma against accidental untagged spoilers, even as someone that has been guilty of it in the past. The impression I've always had around here is that people that are apologetic about accidental spoilers are forgiven, and that the general populace only forms negative opinions of people that double down. Like, it's entirely possible some (or all) of the many unmarked spoilers that Sebby posted over the years were accidents because they were not things he considered spoilers, but he didn't get banned because of that, he got banned because he dug in his heels and insisted upon his right to unilaterally decide what constitutes a spoiler for other people.

Far be it from me to speculate on mod actions on a web sight where I am not a staff member, but given the number of times mods have gone back and added spoiler tags to your posts and the fact that this discussion is happening now, it really seems to me that you might be hurtling down that same highway. It may be worth stepping back for a moment and thinking about what you really hope to accomplish here, as well as the best way to accomplish your goals, given the ethos of this community and the events that have actually factually transpired in the recent past on this forum.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago given the ethos of this community and the events that have actually factually transpired in the recent past on this forum.
Let us consider facts then: You jumped to conclusions and accused me multiple times of being Sebby in a snide passive-aggressive manner in recent posts. Disregarding the immediate implications of drawing false assumptions and parallels, you smeared my name in a childish fashion. This should be neither dismissed nor ignored, for this behavior is what's upsetting me. Being passive-aggressive is toxic, Kilgamayan. Taking a suddenly mature stance in explaining what you feel does not erase that.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Let us consider facts then: You jumped to conclusions and accused me multiple times of being Sebby in a snide passive-aggressive manner in recent posts.
these sure are some very striking Facts, considering five seconds of looking it up shows that they're completely unfactual
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago I'm not interested in discussing that incident.
Acting like a dick and responding to objections with "i am not interested in discussing the thing i just did right now, please consider something unrelated instead" doesn't come off as in good faith either
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

And really, even if we were to ignore the particulars, like, what's the harm in playing things safe with regard to spoiler tags? They take like 2 seconds to add.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

for what it's worth, if my one response in the thread came across as dickish and passive-aggressive i apologise for it

consider it my part in trying to lower the anger level of the discussion
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Leet

Post by Leet »

I don't think anybody is angry.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
rena
type 2 invested entity
First name: cat
Pronouns: spider
https://rena.talkhaus.com/

Post by rena »

i ended up banning them. if they come back then they can attempt to make amends with people and stop being toxic or i'll just ban them again
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

i'd like to request that even if you don't agree philosophically about spoilers that you don't just go in the lp threads and spoil things anyway. additionally intentionally un-spoilering something that somebody else wrote is just rude. and people generally aren't there to be engaged on the topic. in general if you really want to argue about the nature of spoilers then a certain level of respect and empathy is evidently needed. if you make a mistake, just apologise and make up for it, nobody minds.

i've updated the rules on spoilers to be a little more specific - feel free to discuss here if they're appropriate / accurate or suggest wording changes
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

I just went ahead and reworded the rules in general to be more concise, I don't know if anybody was reading them.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Do we really need the reminder above the post editor?

Also I feel like the "empathy" thing could be better emphasized for going for everyone.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago Do we really need the reminder above the post editor?

Also I feel like the "empathy" thing could be better emphasized for going for everyone.
probably not permanently and agreed
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Man, my "Clearly they're the same person" comment was painfully obviously in jest. That's, like, exactly what the strikethrough tag is for. :| (Never mind that sock puppetry was/is obviously not going on because it would have been going on for five plus years based solely on account creation dates.)

But, well, okay, I guess this is where we are now.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago Far be it from me to speculate on mod actions on a web sight where I am not a staff member
do you wanna be
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Heh, you said 'staff'. And 'member'.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Wow it really happened

:catcrime:
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

oh yeah fe.el free to speculate wildly now
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago Wow it really happened

:catcrime:
Gacha is good sometimes.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Apologies for the necro, but this week's Jimuquisition in on spoilers, and i wanted to post this somehwere here

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Leet

Post by Leet »

No
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i already saw someone go "You WILL deal with our level gimmicks! Got a problem with that? GIT GUD SKRUB!!!" regarding YUMP 2 and i had a sudden explosion from the whole thing due to just being tired of constant "hard games are bad and not fun" narratives going on amongst certain talkhausers and former smw hackers at talkhaus and also my really bad mental state right now (i did apologize to them for it at the end because im awful)

a comment someone i know left about the clown car being designed without, and i quote, "caring about playability and fun" due to being "uncaring about how it actually PLAYS, just making something that LOOKS impressive" without even having played it and i realize that's something that i did back in JUMP 1/2 but it just soured me so hard on the comments section. they go on to say "You never want to frustrate the player into wanting to quit, even if that's your goal. It's not fun for anyone. It's not good design." as if hard gameplay is not valid game design. it's frustrating as someone who wants to design bosses and hacks and ASM for smw. nothing is ever good enough for the audience. it's too carol-y, it's too quick, it's too hard, it's too easy, it's too hectic, it's too tedious, it's too simple, it's too complex.

the comments section and talkhaus (and yes, even smw central, and i'm gonna include kaizo stream chats too) is just a series of backseat gamers trying to strut their knowledge of what they think they know is game design and, in talkhaus, twitch and youtube's case, how they know all about a game by merely watching raocow/the streamer playing it and that is just the most frustratingly agonizing thing because who in their right mind would want to have their work showcased for a community that acts that way? it's embarrassing. and people then try to hide it under "constructive criticism" narratives and it's like... please stop.
I was told to push this here and I'm just hoping someone will listen. Just an acknowledgement that someone read it and didn't just sweep it under the rug. I'm not asking for another multi-page argument.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

"the comments section and talkhaus (and yes, even smw central, and i'm gonna include kaizo stream chats too)"

so this person just admits to hating all outside opinion on their work

i mean

that's valid

same here buddy, i fuckin' hate people telling me my stuff's not to their liking. yeah, as if i asked!!!!
edit: just for clarification, im not being sarcastic. that IS valid, and i DO relate
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist