(shouting)

Kirby 64 - Ribbon

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Re: Kirby 64 - Ribbon

Post by Rixithechao »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago (And I removed the spoiler because these were for games that aren't going to be played anytime soon, if at all. There was no need for that)
yet you quoted the stuff I put in a spoiler tag without the tag.

Regarding the pause screen bios:
Couldn't find a screenshot or video of the Magolor Soul bio, but the wiki mentions it.
Pretty easy to find the pause bios for Robobot and Star Allies though.
And yeah, Hyness' bio mentions "tossing the unconscious sisters around like rag dolls". But when he first does it it still looks pretty grim.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcdZ821 ... u.be&t=980
AuraLancer wrote: I can understand getting frustrated over people going overboard in their enthusiasm over it though.
Apologies for being pedantic with all of this, I'm just thoroughly tired of the whole "it's cute and stylized at first glance and therefore it's for small kids and can't have dark and nuanced stuff in it lol" attitude. Can we please leave that in the 2010s where it belongs? (along with youtube's approach to COPPA flagging while we're at it, but that's its own discussion)
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

AuraLancer wrote: 4 years ago You don't have to read deep into Kirby for the eldritch horror angle. I can understand getting frustrated over people going overboard in their enthusiasm over it though.
Yes, how dare people enjoy things :shakefist:
Rockythechao wrote: 4 years ago
thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago (And I removed the spoiler because these were for games that aren't going to be played anytime soon, if at all. There was no need for that)
yet you quoted the stuff I put in a spoiler tag without the tag.
That appears to have been the point.

I'm actually somewhat surprised - I don't think Sebby even ever did something like that.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Oh, I misread and thought he meant he was removing a spoiler from his original posts. Yeah no screw that. I wasn't the person who reported that post but a hundred thumbs up farts to whoever did.

And yes, sebby did that several times. And I was the one he did it to at least one of those times, I don't care to refresh myself on the specific stats.

In general this is just, another thing I'm really freaking tired of happening. Even if you don't think something is worth spoilertagging, if someone else does so anyway it's basic courtesy to respect their decision there.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Well dang.

Clearly they're the same person

EDIT: Looks like the entire post has been put in spoiler tags, at least. many thanks 2 mods
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Honestly I think the Spoiler thread has run its course for the time being and IMO no longer needs to be pinned on top, but that's just my personal thoughts

We had some good times there, some bad times, but those are of the year of 2019 and now we can say hello to a new year to look forward to :catplanet: :catplanet2:
churine
Pronouns: she/her

Post by churine »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago
churine wrote: 4 years agoI'm sorry but that is a pretty shallow take
That is an equally shallow take. Care to explain?
Discarding conversations about motifs of a work as "it's for children and therefore analizying too much about it is pointless" is a shallow approach that contributes little but shutting down discussion.

I am challenging your apparent notion that "something made for children is anthitetical of having deep thought put into it" as something extremely dimissive and blatantly untrue. People care about the things they make, children are not dumb, and it is worth analizying things-- especially when they are literally actual elements right in the game.

(also you are saying I'm being shallow while arguing we're digging too deep, which, look, I'm sorry if calling what you're saying "shallow" comes across as rude and personal, but in the face of the conversation it is rude, and also just in general isn't, a good approach to most media?? like, these things are made literally to be thought about)
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Also I didn't mean to imply that anyone here was being overenthusiastic about eldritch Kirby theories.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

also i feel like pointing one thing out. dark matter's original form before you beat the tar out of it?

yeah this thing could easily be a regular ol' boss enemy in a kirby game, maybe even one of the meta knights' high command - a menacing-looking good guy ( minus any potential plot of betraying meta knight and becoming the space horror of the week, 'course )

kirby final bosses tend to be pretty tame in their first form ( hell 0 doesn't even reach its full creep factor until the very final part of its fight with the whole "suicide attack with a manic red bleeding eyeball while you can see the gaping wound it launched it from while its main body falls away" thing ). even nightmare had this, starting as some weird star orb and turning into a dark wizard thing with a weirdly detailed chin and quite a few mildly unsettling mouth poses. nightmare in dreamland kinda cleaned over that aspects but in return it gave us

still mild compared to 0 and drawcia soul. still strikingly dark compared to how 100% sugary and wholesome everything before it is ( see also: the dark matter cloud's eyeballs rolling back into its ... cloud in this game's ending cutscene, which raocow even commented on )

you really don't have to dig deep for this. it's kinda baked into the visual design of these guys
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

churine wrote: 4 years ago I am challenging your apparent notion that "something made for children is anthitetical of having deep thought put into it" as something extremely dimissive and blatantly untrue. People care about the things they make, children are not dumb, and it is worth analizying things-- especially when they are literally actual elements right in the game.
That overstates my intent in calling it "for children." Yes, people care about the things they make, and children aren't stupid. But there's a limit to what media designed for a specific marketing demographic (which is what almost all media created by business is) is capable of projecting outside of its purpose.
(like, these things are made literally to be thought about)
That's patently untrue. These things are made to be consumed. Remember the TFWiki mantra: "The reason Transformers exists is to sell toys." It is no different with Kirby: It is an intellectual property that has taken the shape of a franchise. Any aspect of its existence is made to sell more items. If there is some detail that people like, then that's merely a secondary bonus at best. That people analyze these things outside of that prerogative says more about the analysts themselves than the things they analyze.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Rockythechao wrote: 4 years ago In general this is just, another thing I'm really freaking tired of happening.
Then stop gatekeeping.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
bbbrrr_it_cold
Always ambivalent, always lurking...
First name: Quagsire

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago
Rockythechao wrote: 4 years ago In general this is just, another thing I'm really freaking tired of happening.
Then stop gatekeeping.
Wait, wait wait...

This is about the spoilers thing. You do realize that, right?
How is that gatekeeping? Like, actually how?

I want to point out that I'm actually pretty annoyed at the lack of spoiler tags in some of the posts about anything that isn't THE GAME THE THREAD IS ABOUT! Like, what if (as an actual example) I haven't played Star Allies because I'm waiting for a good opportunity to buy myself a Switch and the game? And, in that case, why do I deserve to get the game spoiled for me IN A THREAD ABOUT A DIFFERENT GAME just because someone else decided "hey, this isn't the game being played, so why worry about spoilers at all?"
And how is being annoyed about that gatekeeping? How is wanting to keep something in a spoilers discussion gatekeeping?
I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
I have a youtube (currently only with stream highlights): (Don't watch it)
I have a twitter (where I say just about nothing): (Don't follow it)
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Just in case it was missed @thatguyif
Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago
thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago This all reads like "I read too deep into this." No really, it does. Kirby is a children's game, so there shouldn't be that deep of an analysis.
except for the part where almost everything in that list was directly stated by in-game bios sooooooo
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I mean they have very pointedly not been responding to good points against their original post, I'm sure it wasn't missed
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

bbbrrr_it_cold wrote: I want to point out that I'm actually pretty annoyed at the lack of spoiler tags in some of the posts about anything that isn't THE GAME THE THREAD IS ABOUT! Like, what if (as an actual example) I haven't played Star Allies because I'm waiting for a good opportunity to buy myself a Switch and the game?
Well, have you ever considered that it's just something you have to live with?

Like, what do you feel when a game's story is spoiled to you? Anger? Rage? And why do you feel that? Is it because the value you place on this media that you consume somehow declines because of that? That it somehow doesn't become something worth buying?

Think about that for a moment. By saying this then, you establish that you are likely viewing this as a one-time playthrough at best. You are thus greatly limiting the potential of the game to appeal to you because you value one thing and one thing only and hedge everything on it. Once the story is done and you are completely aware of what that story is doing, the value you possessed by going at it blind is lost completely. And what then? That says a lot of things right there, none of which I'll bring up here.

I played The Messenger recently. Some streams I happened on showed the (real) big twist of the game. Did that ultimately affect my experience with the game? Not really. I still had fun. I still would probably play it again at some point in the future. At some point I will play Bioshock Infinite this year, even though my brain right now is screaming the big plot twist which I stumbled upon accidentally one day a few years ago. I doubt it'll affect my view of the game in the broader sense.

I think it's worth self-examining why you value knowing as little as possible about a game you've already established biases and expectations unconsciously about (since you willingly acquired the game), and why you put so much contempt at even the slightest reveal in the most indirect of fashions. There's a lot to be dissected there.
Leet wrote: I mean they have very pointedly not been responding to good points against their original post, I'm sure it wasn't missed
For the most part. There's nothing to be said there. Also don't care much to respond to childish insults (not from you specifically Leet since you haven't done any, just thought to bring that up).

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
rena
type 2 invested entity
First name: cat
Pronouns: spider
https://rena.talkhaus.com/

Post by rena »

can you stop you're upsetting people
rena
type 2 invested entity
First name: cat
Pronouns: spider
https://rena.talkhaus.com/

Post by rena »

sorry i can't really ask them to stop and let other people keep replying to them, if you want a copy of your post back so you can put it somewhere else let me know

edit: either way if this spoiler discussion is going to keep going it's going to have to be less toxic
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I'll just move the post to the appropriate thread
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago
Honestly I think the Spoiler thread has run its course for the time being and IMO no longer needs to be pinned on top, but that's just my personal thoughts

We had some good times there, some bad times, but those are of the year of 2019 and now we can say hello to a new year to look forward to :catplanet: :catplanet2:

Agreed. It's mostly run its course. If anything, the rules page should be updated to include spoilers/backseating rules.

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago
ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago

Agreed. It's mostly run its course. If anything, the rules page should be updated to include spoilers/backseating rules.

I find this a bit ironic now

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago Image
just quoteposting this lovely art of two Zero Twos that went unremarked upon. I really love 02's normal design, cactus aside.