(shouting)

Kirby 64 - Ribbon

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: Kirby 64 - (Bandanna...?) Waddle Dee

Post by Kilgamayan »

For future reference, the circular saw enemies give you Needle. The first shard in the factory gives you a circular saw at the very beginning of the room and an axe at the very end of the room so that you don't need to go all the way back to the second level to form the drill.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

After getting coal for Christmas, Kirby tries to find a boxing day sale but fails. With nothing to lose and all other options expended, Kirby goes straight to the toy factory at the North Pole to murder Santa.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Oh man, it's the factory level. This level gave me a lot of trouble when I was younger, due to featuring not one, not two, but three different ways to get crushed to death. Although, despite that I really like this level; the music is great, and together with the background elements, like the creatures inside the glass containers and the robots with their big toothy grins, it's good at giving this place a creepy atmosphere.
Kilgamayan wrote: For future reference, the circular saw enemies give you Needle. The first shard in the factory gives you a circular saw at the very beginning of the room and an axe at the very end of the room so that you don't need to go all the way back to the second level to form the drill.
While that would be convenient, I'm pretty sure those saw enemies actually give you Cutter. If you want to be efficient the best you can do is get Needle (and rock too if you want) while doing the previous level, since that doesn't require a specific power for any of the shards.

moogy

Post by moogy »

I had no idea that that song was from this game...
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Modern Kirby games may have cool lore but the levels and gameplay themselves from my experience (in Triple Deluxe) are highly monotonous. It's not like in Kirby 64 where every level is its own unique area. ):
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago Yes, modern Kirby unironically has a good amount of lore for each mainline game, currently culminating in Star Allies, which probably had the biggest drop of lore ever in the series.

A lot of it is relegated to the pause screens, though.
This is possibly one of the biggest draws to doing an All the Kirbies when AtS ends in like 2027
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

I was somehow surprised to see the downwards drill as if I had never seen it, even though I've literally made a drawing of the drill powerup being used that exact way. Although now that i checked, it's been 6 years since I drew that.
Also, the japanese Mikan is a lot more like a mandarine than an orange, even though mandarines do look a lot like oranges.
ImageImage
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

I thought Mandarins looked like Chinese people.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 4 years ago While that would be convenient, I'm pretty sure those saw enemies actually give you Cutter. If you want to be efficient the best you can do is get Needle (and rock too if you want) while doing the previous level, since that doesn't require a specific power for any of the shards.
Oh shoot, you're right. Sorry about that. x(

I knew they gave SOME sort of powerup because I've been tearing my hair out every time they've been skipped over while Kirby has no abilities. I don't know why I thought they were Needle, though.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

cause needle and cutter in this game are kinda themed similar
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
warpio

Post by warpio »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago Modern Kirby games may have cool lore but the levels and gameplay themselves from my experience (in Triple Deluxe) are highly monotonous. It's not like in Kirby 64 where every level is its own unique area. ):
I think all of the environments in Triple Deluxe are extremely gorgeous, especially in the late game. I do see how you could think of it as monotonous (the Hypernova sections were certainly that), but you just gotta be in that mood where you're there to appreciate the aesthetic of Kirby eating everything in his path.

And the sequel, Planet Robobot, has some of the most inventive 2.5D environments and level design setpieces and of any modern platformer imo. Like if there's anything that could be described as "taking the weirdness of Kirby 64's environments and putting a modern spin on it", it's that game. It's too bad Star Allies is a bit of a step down in that department, since they prioritized making the levels accomodate multiple players rather than making interesting setpieces like the 3DS Kirby games.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

This boss is another boss I like, because, well it's a robot, and I like robots. Also I like the way it transforms for the second phase. One thing I've always found strange though is that the different forms have different names; the first form is HR-H, and the second form is HR-E.

Anyway, one thing I remember well regarding this boss is that one time, when I was feeling pretty bored, I found a boss guide for this game on GameFAQs and decided to read it just for fun. The author's advice for the attack where this boss tries to land on you is to just take the hit because it's too hard to dodge. I would think if you were going to write a guide specifically for the bosses you would want to know how to dodge all of their attacks, but apparently this person had other ideas. Also, that attack isn't even that hard to dodge; you just have to run to the side to misdirect it then turn around and run out of the way.

The cut-scene at the end of this world is one of my favourites. Seeing everyone encouraging Ribbon is nice, but my favourite part is seeing Ribbon lift up Kirby and carry him into the portal. There's just something about it that I find super cute.

Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

The cyclops blob with a spear and shield also gives Needle fwiw

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: Kirby 64 - King Dedede

Post by Kilgamayan »

I must confess that I had to look up where the second crystal in the final stage was when I first played this game. Got everything else on my own, but not that one. :(

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

It's great how much the happy fun time first level in the final world is such a contrast to what follows. Playing this game on wii while younger, I did not like the first level today, the music freaked me out. It's funny how aside from the giant blob of darkness at the end, there's nothing that strange about the second level, but the music conveys a certain menace.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

So it looks like we're almost at the end of this game. I kind of expected it to last a bit longer than this, though now that I think about it this game is rather short. Anyway, I don't have much else to say here except that I love the music in this last level.

Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Kirby 64 - King Dedede is actually pretty great!

Post by Awoo »

This game really makes me like King Dedede. He's a neat buddy and really seems to get along with Kirby, not to mention the Waddle-Dee that pals along with you. It's super neat to see Kirby working with friends :pal:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 4 years ago Anyway, I don't have much else to say here except that I love the music in this last level.
Same, that bass line is orgasmic

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Man, it was kind of frustrating seeing raocow vs the rock phase. Aside from that, I'd say this boss can be somewhat tough! Not as tough as the final boss from Dreamland 2 tho... That one is just actually hard and the moving background makes me dizzy.
Also, P64 1.6 doesn't render a lot of stuff in this game, but at least the credits show up properly. Is there any reason you didn't use Mupen, raocow? The game seems to work perfectly fine with little to no graphical hiccups from what i've seen.
ImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Kirby 64 - Fairy Queen

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, N64 emulation is a bit of a mess. CEN64 was supposed to be the emulator that would finally hit 100% compatibility, but development seems to have stalled on that. My (admittedly limited) understand is that RetroArch's mupen64-plus-next core is your best bet atm, but even that has some occasional issues.

*shrug*
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Oh man it's everyone's favorite.

Racow x dying at the end

Who has the most?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I think I might have tried mupen and couldn't get it to work? it's been a while, I just remember that this being the solution that worked best
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
LunarRainbowShyGuy

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this boss looks like a many sided die. The thought that those dots were eyes never even occurred to me until way later.

Anyway, watching raocow fight this boss was a bit rough (especially watching him get hit by the rock form pretty much every time). Although part of the problem might be that I've fought this thing so much that I know where all the safe spots are, while it might not be as obvious as I think it is for someone who's not familiar with the boss.

As for where those safe spots are, well it's mostly the corners. I'm pretty sure the rock form doesn't roll that far, the cutter form doesn't reach there even when it goes on the ground, the electric form can be dodged pretty easily by just standing in the corner and jumping over the three lasers, and while the bomb form is a bit random, the corner tends to be relatively safe. Now that I think about it, I want to say that I only found that the corners are safe after many attempts of being thrashed by this boss, so I don't really blame raocow for having a hard time.

It sure is a shame that the credits are so messed up. I like the pictures here, but with the weird red outlines I can't even tell what some of them are supposed to be.

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago I think I might have tried mupen and couldn't get it to work? it's been a while, I just remember that this being the solution that worked best
Maybe try the RetroArch version Mupen64Plus-Next. Regular Mupen64Plus is apprently Command line with no GUI like Mednafen.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB