(shouting)

[ANSWERS] ✪Talkcordhaus VGM G-Contest 16: Musical Snugging 2019✪

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!
Pronouns: he/him/his

[ANSWERS] ✪Talkcordhaus VGM G-Contest 16: Musical Snugging 2019✪

Post by AmeijinMayo »

THE RESULTS ARE HERE!
After some much deliberating and some close match ups, a final conclusion has been reached! I sincerely apologize for the delay with getting the results up. It's been a pleasure hosting this contest and I'm happy to share the answers/results to this VGM G-Contest -

THE ANSWERS ------------ The difficulty rating [LowMediumHigh]
  1. Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness and the Secret Hideout (Switch, PS4 and PC) - Bainan Style
    Found by: SirChasm and Nabe
    Half-Found by: Jesuiscontent and Bean

From the most recent Atelier game, Atelier Ryza knocked it out of the park with this boss theme. Probably one of my favorite games of the year and a series that I've enjoyed quite a bit. I couldn't help but put at least one track from the games into this contest.
  2. Super Buster Bros. (ARC and SNES) - Canada
    Found by: Nobody!

"Oh Canada, our home and stage with a lot of penguins for some reason~?" This is an alright SNES game, but it's also one of those games where you play to beat it once and just never end up picking it up again. Well, at least in my case anyway.
  3. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (PS4, Vita, PC and Switch) -The Anticipated New World
    Found by: SirChasm (Solo)

Haha! This was both a significant track in the game as it played during a serious scene and it doubled as a sorta fakeout with using Antonin Dvorak's 9th Symphony, 4th Movement at the start. I'm glad these games were able to make it over to NA and EU, we were hurting for a new localized Digimon game during the time.
  4. Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis, Game Gear, PS3, Xbox360, Wii and PC) - Ending (Good End)
    Found by: KobaBeach and Kshaard

Man, now this is an ending theme that just captures the feeling of success. Streets of Rage 2 is still a personal favorite beat 'em up for me. Playing it with so many different friends really helped me see how games like this can bring people together. If you haven't played this in awhile, it's definitely worth a revisiting.
  5. Guilty Gear Strive (PS4) - Smell of the Game
    Found by: Almost everyone!

This game isn't out yet, that is true. But I couldn't possibly pass up putting an amazing song like this into the contest. Guilty Gear has always been a solid series with fun games except GG2 Overture. Daisuke Ishiwatari nailed it with this main theme and has plenty of folks hyped for the next entry. Do you know the smell of the game?
  6. Kirby Super Star (SNES, DS and Wii U) - Together with Spring Breeze (Credits)

(Seasonal)A classic credits song, with credits that scroll by way too fast. Since this game had shown up on multiple consoles, one of which being a slight update with a different soundchip, I felt that as long as folks were on the general spot for this that it would earn points. If you're curious, the version used in this contest is from the DS version. Kirby songs sure are nice though~
  7. Super Robot Wars T (PS4, Switch and PC) - Tank!
    Half-Found by: Almost everyone!

Hohoh, now this was a fun one to place in the VGM contest. Not everyone watches anime, but there's a decent chance they've heard Cowboy Bebop's opening song. I'm aware of the PS1 and PS2 game, but the SRW T version is what's here. The Super Robot Wars game are starting to become a bit more accessible for folks due to the English SEA versions of the games that can get past licensing of certain series that show up in the games. They're a bit pricey to import, but they're a delight for SRPG and mecha fans alike. Ein sure is a cute dog.
  8. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (ARC) - Overture ~ Cadillacs -The 4 Heroes-

A bit of an obscure beat 'em up. The first time I had played this was with a friend on MAME. She knew that I liked dinosaurs and beat 'em ups, which caused one thing to lead to another, next thing I know is that I'm laughing while beating up on thugs, dinosaurs and Blanka clones!? To be fair, I had a blast and kinda wish Capcom would go back and make something wacky like this again.
  9. Slayers (Super Famicom/SNES) - Laberino Village
    Found by: Bean (Solo)

A fan-translated gem of an RPG. Despite being restricted to Japan in it's release, some passionate folks made a darn good translation patch for the game. You don't have to be a Slayers fan to enjoy this, as it's a standalone adventure that's still set in a familiar enough magical world setting. If you're looking for a SNES RPG that you haven't played, this isn't too bad of a pick. I certainly had a pleasant time playing it.
  10. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle (Wii) - Philistine

The first two No More Heroes games are so much fun. While I may like the story told in the first more compared to it's sequel, Suda51 made an interesting series. I orginially wanted to use an 8-Bit version of Pleather for Breakfast from NMH:TSB, however I found that the original was used in a previous VGM contest, so I held off on that. Fun fact - This is the JPN/PAL version of Philistine, the NA release had gotten a different version. I like this version over what the NA release had gotten.
  11. Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. Full Boost (ARC and PS3) - Divine Act -THE EXTREME-

Alright, so I goofed up. This song technically qualifies for fighting game points, as EXVS is a 3D arcade fighting game. But the contest was already near it's deadline before I realized and I didn't think revising the rules to include this with the 10 to make 11 would be right. I didn't want to remove this song either, as it sounds amazing and holds some significance to me. In 2014 I made some life long friends just by playing this game and I wouldn't change that for anything. This happens to be Extreme Gundam's theme and plays while fighting the boss in arcade mode. (To those who guessed this as a fighting game, I acknowledge you, I apologize that I can't give a point for this one)
  12. Rez (PS2, PS4, Xbox360, Dreamcast and PC) - Rock Is Sponge
    Found by: Validon98, Kshaard and Nabe

It's got a pretty nice beat to it. I had played my cousin's copy of the game and the lyrics to this song just seem to be forever present in our minds. "Rock is spongeeee~"
  13. Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth (3DS) - Pull the Trigger
    Half-Found by: KobaBeach and Validon98

Just like the other Persona Q2 group tracks capturing the musical style of each game, Pull the Trigger nails the sound of P3P's music. The introduction of Minako/Hamuko joining the squad with this playing for your first joint encounter is truly a delight. I'm sure the lyrics of the song gave folks an idea of where this song might be from.
  14. Waku Waku 7 (ARC, Sega Saturn, NEO-GEO and PS2) - The Excitement Never Stops
    Found by: PiesonCreation (Solo)

An obscure fighter, but has seen it rounds on a decent few consoles. It's a solid Sega Saturn fighter, that much is certain. This is an arrange of the song, yet the vocals remain the same. I'm thankful I used this version, rather than the PS2 version, that one is way too cutesy.
  15. Ape Escape 3 (PS2) - Alert

Yeah, this is an unusual pick. I've always liked the Ape Escape games and the Mesal Gear Solid minigame was really well put together. Heck, it could've passed as a standalone game if it wasn't for the fact that it was just a parody of MGS. Look up the ending if you've got the time, it's amusing to say the least.
  16. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (3DS, Wii U, Switch, PS4, Xbone and PC) - Scorching Dunes
    Found by: Cyril and El_Yosh

Mmm! A song that'll have you start dancing! Jake Kaufman has been making music for the Shantae games since it's first entry, but I really like how Scorching Dunes sounds. It just encapsulates an eastern vibe and a beat to traversing the desert~
  17. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (PC, All PS consoles ex.PS1/PSP, DS, Switch and GBA) - Fascism

This sound visual novel is probably more known for it's anime, but my first exposure to it was the VN. Playing through that first chapter is enough to get the mind racing, let alone the rest of the chapters. I'm not entirely sure how this might sound like Professor Layton, but I've yet to properly play those games so that might be why. It still weirds me out that there's an unofficial GBA port of Higurashi.
  18. Vandal Hearts (PS1, Sega Saturn and PC) - Warlock (Confrontation With Warlock Belasko)
    Found by: Sanct (Solo)

When I hear this song, I can only think back to how pissed Kane was for what Ash had done. Vandal Hearts is a fun TRPG, I would easily place it in my top 10 favorite PS1 games. This was also a great LP I watched from user Dario8676.
  19. Tekken Tag Tournament (ARC, PS2 and PS3) - Xiaoyu Theme

Now this is a song with some funk to it. I've never like Xiaoyu as a character, but I will not deny that her theme in this game is just fantastic. I can only imagine what it was like to hear this song blast in the arcades back in the day. Is Tekken hokey? Yeah, probably, still a nice fighting game I feel.
  20. Shatterhand (NES and Playchoice10/ARC) - Area 4/Final Area

Good game, kinda obscure. Not gonna lie, I definetly have had trouble playing Shatterhand. Some folks just breeze through it, but I always find myself tripping up on jumps near the spiked balls. I wonder if playing the original Tokkyū Shirei Solbrain would've been easier. Prolly not~
  21. Z.H.P: Unlosing Ranger vs. DarkDeath Evilman (PSP) - Fight! Unlosing Ranger!
    Found by: Jesuiscontent (Solo)

UWOAH! Truly a song that'll set your soul ablaze! This TRPG with mixed dungeon crawling gameplay is a blast to play. Despite it being a love letter to many forms of media, I feel that it was one of the last games made in NIS's golden run. A hot-blooded song indeed.
  22. Metroid Fusion (GBA) - Sector 4 (AQA)
    Found by: Sanct and Kshaard

Between this and Metroid Prime, I think I like Fusion just a tad bit more. This track pairs nicely with the area that you've gotta travel through. Watch out for those spikey dudes while you're rolling.
  23. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game (PS3 and Xbox360) - Another Winter
    Found by: Piesonscreation, Kshaard, SirChasm, Bean and Nabe

(Seasonal)Anamanaguchi returns! Not as an intruder song or another vgm song, but as this nice jam that plays throughout the first stage of the game. I've played this particular beat 'em up way too many times, so I've heard this song plenty of times too. Bring SPvTW game to Steam, cowards!
  24. Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1 and PSP) - Ultima, The Nice Body
    Found by: KobaBeach, Kshaard, SirChasm and Nabe
    Half-Found by: Cyril

Final Fantasy Tactics really blew me away after beating it. The story that is told in FFT is amazing and the music to accompany the moments made it all the better. Whenever I think of the name of this song, I can't help but kind of chuckle. Nice body, pfftt.
  25. River City Girls (Switch, PS4, Xbone and PC) - Dollar Signs
    Found by: Validon98 and Bean

We've got another recent game, with a bit of a mixed opinion due to the ending. My two cents on that is I'll accept it as what it was and thought it was a neat way to play with localization/regional series differences. This track is really swell, but I could've picked any song out of this OST as it's fabulous! All the composers nailed the feel of the OST, Megan McDuffee in particular with her stage songs.
  26. Atomic Runner Chelnov (ARC and Genesis) - Keep Running
    Found by: Nobody

The Soviet Atomic Runner! The Nuclear Man of Fighting! It's Chelnov! This is a weird pick, that's for sure. But I do have fond memories of being introduced to this game by a friend. I like Data East games and he had mentioned this game while we were talking about Karnov. I gave it a go and it was as silly as I thought it was going to be. Keep Running sure is a catchy tune, perfect for running a marathon.
  27. Koihime Enbu 恋姫†演武 (ARC, PS4 and PC) - Shūtai's Theme

WOO! Now this is a fighting game song that'll get the excitement rolling! I'm so glad the contest is over now though, I can finally share this amazing song in it's entirety. Koihime Enbu goes on sale frequently, both on Steam and PSN, so it's worth considering. A great FG for sure.
  28. Twinkle Star Sprites (ARC and NEO-GEO) - Love Me
    Found by: Nabe (Solo)

Never really got around to playing it until the Switch release of the NEO-GEO version. It's nice, fairly cutesy with it's art style. A solid shmup thru and thru.
  29. Jet Set Radio Future (Xbox) - Funky Dealer

Funky Dealer is truly funky. Hideki Naganuma had been making music for awhile now, but I look forward to what he'll be whippin' up in Streets of Rage 4, along with all the other composers creating tracks for the game.
  30. Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4, Xbone and PC) - Looming Dread
    Found by Nabe (Solo)

The Resident Evil 2 Remake was quite the game to kick off 2019. Being a fan of the original, I did have worries of what RE2 could be. But my hopes for it being a lot of fun easily dwarfed those worries. Once I played this version of the 4th Survivor, this song swept me off my feet. Much different to the track from the original, Looming Dread is exhilarating and cranks up the tension to 11.
  31. Dragon Quest IV (NES, PS1 and DS) - Wagon Wheel's March
    Found by: Jesuiscontent, Bean and Nabe
    Half-Found by: Sanct and El_Yosh

Playing DQ4 with my younger brother on a long weekend was great. It was just really charming and probably one of the first RPGs he had beaten. I choose this version of Wagon Wheel's March just cause I like how the trumpet doots sound on the PS1.
  32. Medabots RPG Metabee/Rokusho Version (GBA and WiiU) - Medashow

Unfortunate that this was released late in the WiiU's life when GBA games were being put on the store. It's a nice RPG, althrough it's technically a remake of one of the GB games. I always remember hearing this track play since it's always in the early game cutscenes. I kept see those scenes since the save battery in my GBA cartridge died out haha.
  33. The King of Fighters 98' (ARC, NEO-GEO, PS, PS2 and Dreamcast) - Arashi no Saxaphone
    Found by: Sir Chasm (Solo)
    Half-Found by: Bean

The KoF series has plenty of great tracks, but I always find Iori Yagami gets some great ones involving some great composition. Too bad the NEO-GEO doesn't always mesh well with outputting a song. That's exactly why I chose the arrange version of this song and why it's a little more difficult to pin down compared to it's original version.
  34. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 (DS and 3DS) - Connected Hearts
    Found by: Cyril and Nabe

Not Persona, but a pretty enjoyable SMT game nonetheless. Between this and Nocturne, I'd say I like Nocturne a bit more. This is the kind of track that could be used as a home base theme or maybe a hospital setting, as noted with some guesses being Trauma Center.
  35. Fate/Grand Order (IOS and Android) - Samba de Island ~SUMMER BATTLE~

(Seasonal)The only gacha mobile game for the VGM list! Despite being a side thing, I like playing FGO. I wouldn't dare spend any cash on it, but I'm sure the game is doing fine with the millions of whales out there keeping it going. Primarily chose this track as I remember hearing it a lot during the Summer event as I fought hermit crabs.
  36. Pokémo Sword & Shield (Switch) - Gym Leader Battle
    Found by: Sanct, Cyril, SirChasm and Nabe

I really like what SnS did with the gym leader battle theme. It matches up great with Galar region and it's plenty exciting to hear in-game. For a little background, the game wasn't out yet when I had got this song, but a leaked version was around. Problem was that leaked version split this song into 3-4 separate audio files, leading me to just use a preexisting short ver. that was around instead.
  37. Akatsuki Blitzkampf Ausf Achse (ARC and PC) - Precepts

Don't you ever mess with the gun nun. Ever.
  38. Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds Overdrive (PS4, Switch and PC) - Shinjuku Stage 4
    Found by: Jesuiscontent and Nabe

Phantom Breaker Battle Grounds is kinda interesting, considering it's a beat 'em up that spun off from the fighting game. But I vastly perfer this beat 'em up over the fighting game, as it's got a decent bit of content and Kurisu from Steins;Gate is a playable character.
  39. Mogeko Castle (PC) - Sinken (Moge-ko's Theme)
    Found by: Nobody

I can't remember how long it's been since I played Mogeko Castle, but I do remember thinking it was pretty alright. I have no idea if that side story of the game had been finished or released. But if it is out there now, I'd probably take a look at it. Also, I learned what prosciutto was after playing this game.
  40. Killer Instinct: Season 2 (Xbone and PC) - I'm Back (to Rise) (feat. Omega Sparx)
    Found by: Kshaard, SirChasm, Bean, El_Yosh and Nabe

Considering how badass of a beat this song has, I tried to keep as few of the lyrics in this snippit. It's an amazing song though, I love how all the fighters have theme personalized to them, kinda like how SF does their songs. The folks who made this Killer Instinct game was Double Helix and Iron Galaxy for the majority of post content. It has plenty of callbacks to the original games and some supervising with the Rare devs
  41. Zupapa! (NEO-GEO and ARC) - Japan Stage

A funny NEO-GEO game. A friend of mine who's a classic video game collector that's now moved onto speedrunning, liked this game. I'm a bit on the fence with it, but I thought the music was always on point.
  42. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate/G (3DS and WiiU) - Fearless Indigo (Brachydios' Theme)
    Found by: Jesuiscontent (Solo)
    Half-Found by: El_Yosh

Ahhhh, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I have a lot of fond memories of hunting in the game. This is probably the MH game that I had put most hours into, with 500+ or so. I made some great friends and hunting buddies while playing this game and it still has some of my favorite monster additions to the series. Brachydios being one of them, I knew it's theme had to making it into the contest.
  43. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (PS1 and DS) - Little Love
    Found by: Hatkid (Solo)

What!? Two NIS games had made the list!? That's correct, with Rhapsody snagging a spot here. This game was made in the early days of NIS life as a game developer, with only a few other game preceding it. It's not a favorite of mine, but I still thought of it as an enjoyable RPG on the PS1. It's not all that long, so you could probably beat it within a day if you tried. Not crazy about it's DS post, but eh, that's no biggie.
  44. [INTRUDER!] Ominashii - Sorceress of the Mind [INTRUDER!]

https://ominashii.tumblr.com/post/15920 ... u-chose-to

Mmm, what is this Intruder song? Well, it's a battle song for an OC by the user named ominashii Despite the post having a different artist listed. Omi has made a few songs for OCs and they're all pretty solid. I liked this once since it's very Touhouesque, but still different enough. It does use a few tasofro samples, so that does makes sense. Funnily enough, I think I had a harder time determining where I would place the song on the list compared to actually getting an intruder song, so there's that for ya heh.
  45. Jigoku Kisetsukan: Sense of the Seasons (PC) - H8 U 2

Ok, so this game is fairly difficult. Like, I've played my fair share of shmups and Touhou too. But dang, I got my butt handed to me in some of these fights. This is a cool game though, with a very varied OST too. It's free on Steam too, so you can pick it up with no worries~
  46. Tokyo Xanadu eX (PS4 and PC) - Autumn Sunshine
    Found by: Hatkid and Jesuiscontent

(Seasonal)Despite not being the most popular recent Falcom game, I liked what Tokyo Xanadu had delivered. Some note worthy things it brings to the table aside from it's gameplay and story, was this nice OST. Autumn Sunshine being a particular favorite of mine, since it captures such a relaxing and peppy vibe while you walk about the town. You did good by me, Tokyo Xanadu.
  47. E's laf (PC) - Alcott's Theme

I like Alcott's Theme, it's just got a fun ad goofy beat to it. E's laf is another fighting game, but with the caveat being that it was developed by one person - Free. They made a nice game, that's for sure. After dabbling with it, I can definitely see myself going back to it for a one off or two.
  48. Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: The Blue Destiny (Sega Saturn) - THUNDER CLAP

Mrm, I've got mixed feelings on this pick. On one hand, it's from a pretty notable Side Story from Gundam. But on the other hand, I originally wanted to use a track from the Bandai Namco RPG MS Saga: A New Dawn, however I could not find the OST for the life of me. I just settled for THUNDER CLAP as it's well composed, even when running on the Sega Saturn's soudchip. Not too shabby of a SS game too.
  49. Stella Glow (3DS) - Fiery Night (Sakuya's 2nd Song)
    Found by: Jesuiscontent and Nabe

Imageepoch's parting gift to video games before they left the industry! It's an outstanding RPG that's sorta stuck on the 3DS. The combat is a bit straightforward, but it offers enough to mix things up. The OST is fantastic though, I could sit down and listen to it anytime if it started playing. All in all, I'm glad the game exist and hope Imageepoch makes return, wether that be as a new company or as it's original self.
  50. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch) - Central Highway (Opening Stage for Mega Man X)

Oho, looks like we've got another Smash Ultimate song in a VGM contest. But this time around, it's for the Mega Man series! Mega Man has a plethora of great songs to pick from, but I like this remix we got in SSBU. It keeps the composition in tact, but gives it a great heavy guitar bump to it to round it all out. Watch out for that Bee Blader, X!
  51. Final Fantasy XIV (PS4 and PC) - Desert Moon Defied

This is an amazing track from FFXIV Ver. 1.0, before ARR. I believe it was a battle or boss theme used for Ul'dah areas, but that's what I've heard. I felt the FFXIV OST was pretty amazing, both before ARR and after.
  52. Touhou: The Genius of Sappherios (PC and Vita) - Boss 1
    Found by: Validon98 and Jesuiscontent

Saving best for almost last, one of the boss themes from The Genius of Sappherios! This is a superb Touhou RPG as it's reminiscent to Square's SaGa game, but giving it a Touhou spin to it. I love this take on Eastern Youkai Beauty, it's perfect to dance to or having some hectic rave.
  53. Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late [st] (ARC, PS3, PS4, Vita and PC) - End of Dawn

Besides having a title that a friend would ask "Come again?" thrice, it's a fantastic fighting game. Raito is a great composer and I'm glad I'm able to listen to the unist OST on Spotify. But something about End of Dawn sticks out in my mind compared to the other opening songs. Not that it's the only one with a short version, but something about it just resonates really nicely.
  54. Wild ARMs 5: the Vth Vanguard (PS2) - The Street Corner at Sunset

Thanks for all the memories. I had a wonderful time playing this with you, friend.
  55. Sakura Wars 3: Is Paris Burning? (Dreamcast, PC and PS2) - Paris Floral Assault Group, Debut!

Alright, so the final track of this VGM contest ended up being a song to a Sakura Wars game. Obscure? Yes. A bad game? Hell naw! Granted, I had only played Sakura Wars 3 just this year, but after 18 years from it's release, I can say in all honesty that it holds up in being a great game. It makes sense why the original trilogy of games were held in such a high light for the folks in Japan and the fans. Out of all the tracks I could've picked from SW3, the debut song that's used for the first fight get's whoever is playing fired up! You don't have the whole squad with you at the time, but with Oogami, Erica and Clycine, this track fuels their first teamwork effort to protect Paris' streets! Kohei Tanaka really outdid himself with the SW songs, but this one stands out in my mind excluding Geki! Teikoku Kagekidan which will always be #1. I'm happy that this year and the next have been the time for Sakura Wars to return in a bombastic way. Looking forward to Shin Sakura Wars release in 2020 for North America and Europe.
THE RESULTS
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Divekick Tier

Minna - 5 points
I'm glad to see your entry, thanks for giving the contest a go, Minna :blobnom:

HatKid - 7 points
Man, you know your RPGs. From old to new, you got them without any hints, very nice!

The ArcSys Fighter Tier

KobaBeach - 11 points
All your guesses match up or are super close to the tone/vibe the track gives off, I can see the resemblance.

Sanct - 15 points
Solid! A lot of these are close to what it might be, if not the same devs. In retrospect, I wish I had given guesses that were more clear. Apologies.

Cyril - 16 points
The Final Fantasy strat wasn't a bad idea, since I did pick 2 FF songs. It was close.

Kshaard - 17 points
If I could extra points for how amusing the guesses were, you'd definitely get them. Thanks for the great and unique picks!

El_Yosh - 18 points
Good ideas for fighting game guesses, those games were considered for pick before the final draft of VGM snippets.

Piesoncreation -19 points
A lot of these guesses were on point, with one of them being lucky enough to be a solo find and fighting game!

The Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S: Jougai Rantou!? Shuyaku Soudatsusen Tier

Validon98 - 22 points
You got almost all THE FIGHTING, you know the vibes for fighting game music with ease. You've got a knack for it, Validon98!

Jesuiscontent - 23 points
Plenty of guesses that varied in genre and series, heck yeah! I dug those picks, so I hope you like finding out where some of these songs came from.

All The Arcade Classics Tier

The Kombatant Instinct Trophy
Bean - 30 points!
Amazing picks throughout, with most of the hitting the nail right on the head for max points!

The Quintessential Quarter Trophy
SirChasm - 35 points!
Not only did you get series' correct, but most of the respective games too! Now you made all those guesses land note for note.

The King of Street Fighters XIX Trophy
Nabe - A whoppin' 54 points!
With a clutch move like sending your guesses in at the last moment, you hit the mark on practically all of them. You even made the last minute hints you asked for count, with full points! Stand proud, champ, you did it! 🏆
With that, this VGM G-Contest comes to an end. Again, I apologize for posting the answers/results a few weeks after the contest had ended, it was quite the task to get it all together for the first time running something like this. I had a really fun time building the snippet list and seeing everyone's guesses. Thank you all for participating in this contest. I hope that I haven't overburden everyone with recommendations, instead, just some nice jams to relax and study to. See you all in 2020~!
Last edited by AmeijinMayo 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
Bean
Yep.

Re: [ANSWERS] ✪Talkcordhaus VGM G-Contest 16: Musical Snugging 2019✪

Post by Bean »

Pretty good outside of being off on the Nintendo stuff for a change. I'll never identify the Intruder song though. Glad I asked for the hint on the Slayers one since it sounded so familiar. Had me looking up Pocky & Rocky stuff until I asked. Anyhoo, here were my answers!
1) Atelier... something. Lulua?
5) Guilty Gear Strive - Fighting
6) Kirby Super Star (Spring Breeze)
7) Cowboy Bebop (PS2)
9) Slayers
12) Tekken - Fighting?
13) Persona Q2
15) Metal Gear Solid 3
16) Shantae: Half-Genie Hero?
23) Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
25) River City Girls
29) Jet Set Radio Future
31) Dragon Quest IV
33) King of Fighters XIII - Fighting
35) Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games?
38) The Intruder!
40) Killer Instinct (XB1) - Fighting
45) Spider-Man (PS1)?
50) Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Fighting
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
Pronouns: she/her
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Post by Valentine »

Wow I missed some songs I really shouldn't have. Oh well, at least my music playlist gets to become significantly bigger now
:trans_pride:
Kshaard
Dodo/
First name: mac5565

Post by Kshaard »

Are we posting our guesses? Here are mine, regardless:
VGM contest "guesses"
A.k.a. a list of games picked off the top of my head, plus a couple I actually got somehow. Don't know why I noted these in reverse order, but I'm too lazy to change that now - and it also happens to be five in the morning.

55 illusion of time
54 the new link's awakening
53 can't seem to find these lyrics anywhere online, but it ends on a nice spicy chord, so i'm going to say touhou spin-off for some reason
52 bangai-o
50 what's that fighting game called where you lob basketballs at each other? anyway, that one
49 The world is your weapon [I distinctly heard the phrase "subete buki ni shite"; and, after looking it up, this was the only game that came up in the search results. Well-spent research time, that's for sure.]
48 mission impossible for the gbc. no, i'll say gauntlet legends
47 double dash
46 Glover
45 programmed-drum metal is way too sterile for its intended feel; that said, half-life 2
44 ooh the giana sisters 2.5d game whatever that one's called
43 baten kaitos
42 a hat in, of, and generally associated with, time
41 jackie chan's action kung fu
40 killer instinct season 2 apparently did rare make this
39 wario world
38 Cave story
37 genesis style chord progressions in sonic heroes
36 halo six and a half point two
35 donkey kong jungle beat
34 the world ends with you
33 alex kidd in shinobi world
32 what games were even on the gba ugh it uses the kirby bass synth sonic advance [Could have really done with some punctuation here, past self.]
31 pier solar
30 metal gear
29 Jet set radio future#
28 eternal champions
27 ys
26 phantasy star 2
25 bit trip runner
24 evermore no secret densetsu [Yes, I know this game was western-developed. Don't ask me to do anything at five in the morning.]
23 scott pilgrim video game
22 metroid fusion
21 suikoden is a name i've heard before without being able to place it on anything
20 it's not this, but street fighter x mega man
19 persona 4 non grata
18 final fantasy 8. no 9.
17 chrono cross even though it's obviously too low-quality for that
16 this is also shantae as it plays on ""eastern"" musical tropes
15 yooka laylee
14 can't seem to find a reference to these lyrics anywhere, so it's some old rpg. let's say the first n64 goemon game for the lulz
13 apparently there's something called persona q2 huh
12 rez sure why not
10 nier 2
9 evo search for eden
8 something street fighter 2 related
7 i don't care that it's not mario 3d world because it is
6 amazing mirror
5 guilty gear apparently
4 i actually found this one i can't believe it streets of rage 2
3 probably shantae of some description
2 pff idk harvest moon
1 generic anime intro, like all of these seem to be, therefore intruder
I'm honestly surprised how a couple of my totally unchecked guesses (12, 16, 22, 23) turned out to be correct, but there we go. Anyway, these are always good fun. Looking up lyrics definitely helped in a few places, but I guess my Japanese still isn't good enough for that to be a reliable method. That, or no-one's bothered transcribing the ones I couldn't find.

Anyway anyway, thanks for keeping this going, AmeijinMayo!
This is someone's signature.

"I don't like that universe I just created by accident . . ."
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

#7 is kinda cheating, tbh :lol:

guesses tho
1. Street Fighter (FIGHTIHG GAME)
2. Pokemon
3. Final Fantasy
4. Fire Emblem
5. Guilty Gear Strive (FIGHTING GAME)
6. Kirby Super Star
7. Cowboy Bebop Opening - Tank! (INTRUDER)
8. Street Fighter (FIGHTING GAME)
9. Final Fantasy
10. Street Fighter(FIGHTING GAME)
11. Fire Emblem
12. Crash 2 but the remake
13. Street Fighter
14. Street Fighter
15. Final Fantasy
16. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
17. Final Fantasy
18. Fire Emblem
19. Persona 4
20. Mega Man
21. Final Fantasy
22. Mega Man Zero
23. Street Fighter
24. Final Fantasy
25. Street Fighter
26. Mega Man
27. Street Fighter (FIGHTING GAME)
28. Mega Man Zero
29. Jet Set Radio Future
30. Fire Emblem
31. Final Fantasy
32. Mega Man
33. Persona 4
34. SMT Devil Survivor 2
35. Street Fighter
36. Pokemon Sword & Shield
37. Street Fighter (FIGHTING GAME)
38. Mega Man
39. Final Fantasy
40. Geometry Dash
41. Mortal Kombat (FIGHTING GAME)
42. Final Fantasy
43. Final Fantasy (the hints! they do nothing!)
44. Fire Emblem
45. Street Fighter (FIGHTING GAME)
46. Final Fantasy
47. Street Fighter
48. Final Fantasy
49. Street Fighter
50. Street Fighter (FIGHTING GAME)
51. Street Fighter
52. Street Fighter (FIGHTING GAME)
53. Street Fighter
54. Final Fantasy
55. Final Fantasy
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
SirChasm
Just here for the music guessing contests.

Post by SirChasm »

I ended up putting the Japan-exclusive Cowboy Bebop: Tsuioku no Serenade for #7, knowing that it has a variant on the opening (no smoking allowed!). And the Ape Escape one is rude; from what I can tell, it's the exact same song as was used in Metal Gear Solid 3! I put 'em back to back just to make sure because I recognized that Flight of the Bumblebee excerpt.

Even if I had included a few guesses I wasn't positive about like Shantae, I wouldn't have come close to matching our first-place competitor, but I'm satisfied with a (strong?) second-place showing. GGs!

EDIT: I'm also, like, 99% sure I should have gotten full credit for New Cinema Labyrinth, even though it once again would not have made a difference.
Last edited by SirChasm 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Oh man, I knew the Tank one wasn't from the PS2 game because it sounds different, but there was no way in hell I would've found that it was from a Super Robot Wars game. Also, for the Waku Waku 7 one, the thing having lyrics helped.

And since we're doing this, here are my (few) guesses:
5. The Smell of the Game - Guilty Gear (2020) [Fighting Game]
6. Together with the Spring Breeze (Spring Breeze Credits) - Kirby Super Star
7. Tank - Cowboy Bebop: Tsuioku no Serenade
8. Megaman X?
13. Pull the Trigger - Persona Q2
14. The Excitement Never Stops (Arina Stage) - Waku Waku 7 [Fighting Game]
16. Shantae Half Genie Hero [or some track by Jake Kaufman]
17. Prof. Layton and the Unwound Future
19. Katamari
20. Megaman
22. Ace Attorney?
23. Another Winter - Scott Pilgrim VS. The World
29. Funky Dealer - Jet Set Radio Future
33. Yakuza
40. Just Shapes & Beats
41. Goemon
ImageImage
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

Kshaard wrote: Are we posting our guesses? Here are mine, regardless:
VGM contest "guesses"
A.k.a. a list of games picked off the top of my head, plus a couple I actually got somehow. Don't know why I noted these in reverse order, but I'm too lazy to change that now - and it also happens to be five in the morning.

55 illusion of time
54 the new link's awakening
53 can't seem to find these lyrics anywhere online, but it ends on a nice spicy chord, so i'm going to say touhou spin-off for some reason
52 bangai-o
50 what's that fighting game called where you lob basketballs at each other? anyway, that one
49 The world is your weapon [I distinctly heard the phrase "subete buki ni shite"; and, after looking it up, this was the only game that came up in the search results. Well-spent research time, that's for sure.]
48 mission impossible for the gbc. no, i'll say gauntlet legends
47 double dash
46 Glover
45 programmed-drum metal is way too sterile for its intended feel; that said, half-life 2
44 ooh the giana sisters 2.5d game whatever that one's called
43 baten kaitos
42 a hat in, of, and generally associated with, time
41 jackie chan's action kung fu
40 killer instinct season 2 apparently did rare make this
39 wario world
38 Cave story
37 genesis style chord progressions in sonic heroes
36 halo six and a half point two
35 donkey kong jungle beat
34 the world ends with you
33 alex kidd in shinobi world
32 what games were even on the gba ugh it uses the kirby bass synth sonic advance [Could have really done with some punctuation here, past self.]
31 pier solar
30 metal gear
29 Jet set radio future#
28 eternal champions
27 ys
26 phantasy star 2
25 bit trip runner
24 evermore no secret densetsu [Yes, I know this game was western-developed. Don't ask me to do anything at five in the morning.]
23 scott pilgrim video game
22 metroid fusion
21 suikoden is a name i've heard before without being able to place it on anything
20 it's not this, but street fighter x mega man
19 persona 4 non grata
18 final fantasy 8. no 9.
17 chrono cross even though it's obviously too low-quality for that
16 this is also shantae as it plays on ""eastern"" musical tropes
15 yooka laylee
14 can't seem to find a reference to these lyrics anywhere, so it's some old rpg. let's say the first n64 goemon game for the lulz
13 apparently there's something called persona q2 huh
12 rez sure why not
10 nier 2
9 evo search for eden
8 something street fighter 2 related
7 i don't care that it's not mario 3d world because it is
6 amazing mirror
5 guilty gear apparently
4 i actually found this one i can't believe it streets of rage 2
3 probably shantae of some description
2 pff idk harvest moon
1 generic anime intro, like all of these seem to be, therefore intruder
I'm honestly surprised how a couple of my totally unchecked guesses (12, 16, 22, 23) turned out to be correct, but there we go. Anyway, these are always good fun. Looking up lyrics definitely helped in a few places, but I guess my Japanese still isn't good enough for that to be a reliable method. That, or no-one's bothered transcribing the ones I couldn't find.

Anyway anyway, thanks for keeping this going, AmeijinMayo!
Ah jeez, I am so sorry Kshaard. I have all your guesses on my spreadsheet and Track 12 is correct, Track 16 is half points for nailing the series, Track 22 is correct for full points (Not sure why I put KobaBeach there when Koba didn't leave a guess on that one) and Track 24 is also full points. I totally just flubbed up when writing up this final post. I'll be sure to edit the post to make sure to give credit where credit is due, but I'm sorry I didn't catch that while I was proofreading.
SirChasm wrote: I ended up putting the Japan-exclusive Cowboy Bebop: Tsuioku no Serenade for #7, knowing that it has a variant on the opening (no smoking allowed!). And the Ape Escape one is rude; from what I can tell, it's the exact same song as was used in Metal Gear Solid 3! I put 'em back to back just to make sure because I recognized that Flight of the Bumblebee excerpt.

Even if I had included a few guesses I wasn't positive about like Shantae, I wouldn't have come close to matching our first-place competitor, but I'm satisfied with a (strong?) second-place showing. GGs!

EDIT: I'm also, like, 99% sure I should have gotten full credit for New Cinema Labyrinth, even though it once again would not have made a difference.
You are full in the right to get the max points for Track 13, SirChasm. I'm not sure when it had occurred, but I had left a 1 on the list when it meant to be a 2. I'll be sure to correct the score and take you off from half-found. Apologies, this was something I missed during totaling and proofreading. Regarding the Ape Excape track, I actually had thought about using another track which is a genuine recomposition the Main Theme to MGS done by the Ape Escape composer. Wish I had picked that one in hindsight.

Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Just to let you guys know that the hosting queue is currently empty! So if any of you are interested in hosting a VGM contest of your own, feel free to PM me here or DM me in the Discordhaus!

If no interest is given, I'll be hosting the next VGM contest myself once again in June!

EDIT: Interest has been shown! So the next host will have the option of hosting on the month of April instead!

Who has the most?
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Apparently hanging around people who play fighting games and all that means knowing their vibes, or something like that? Too bad I don't actually know which fighting game songs belong to which fighting game. :V

Also, I'm still amused at the Genius of Sappheiros song showing up. Hurray for being one of the two people who recognize that at first brush, and sorry jesuitcontent for denying a solo guess. :'D
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

holy moly i am stupid @ a few of these
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Very good writeup, selection and everything, thanks a lot for hosting !!
Validon98 wrote: 4 years ago
Also, I'm still amused at the Genius of Sappheiros song showing up. Hurray for being one of the two people who recognize that at first brush, and sorry jesuitcontent for denying a solo guess. :'D
Lmao, called it!!!

HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Did about as well as I thought I would lol. Congrats to the winners!!
I should have recognized a few more of these than I did though...