(shouting)

Super Mario World Returns - No Tools!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
chrishy

Re: Super Mario World Returns - No Tools!

Post by chrishy »

I'd also like to add something: raocow noticed there was something going on up top at the end of the P-balloon part of Crystal Mountain 1. Just FYI, if you go straight up at the end in the vertical tunnel thing, you hit a screen transition to a coin room. No biggie.
ChrisIsCornflake on YouTube.
First Founder of the talkhaus IRC, [url=irc://irc.badnik.net/talkhaus]irc://irc.badnik.net/talkhaus[/url]. (Info)
Michael

Post by Michael »

Elnendil wrote:Finally, some ROMhack goodness, although the savestates are gone. Am I like...the only person who thinks that raocow playing with savestates is more amusing than him not doing so? I know it's cheating or whatever but some of these hacks you just kind of have to.
It's think it's more amusing when he plays with saves or rewinds just because it keeps him in a good mood. And raocow's good mood is pretty unique on a different topic, but yeah. It's totally his decision, so yeah...but no, you are not the only person.

Also, am I the one feeling like a empty-head when everybody write like a 20-row novel around here. I'm not good with words...
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

Oh man! We are all horrible without exceptions! But seriously raocow, did you not expect something like that to be done?
Fawriel

Post by Fawriel »

How can we ever redeem ourselves?! D=

...That was a pretty level, though.

PS: tee hee "thread"
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

Daarkbuu wrote:Oh man! We are all horrible without exceptions! But seriously raocow, did you not expect something like that to be done?
Yeah, seriously.

Man, I really like levels where you fall like that, though, when it's like that, with no tools, it's a tad frustrating. I don't think it'd be THAT bad though, since it's fun.

Once again I disagree with rao using rewinds, but whatever.
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
Daze

Post by Daze »

Daarkbuu wrote:Oh man! We are all horrible without exceptions! But seriously raocow, did you not expect something like that to be done?
To be honest, the half-minute-or-so silence kind of unnerved me at the start of the video. But then he started off with that line, and all was humorous again. I'm glad to see the levels are getting more aesthetically pleasing, and more interesting. Plus, I think KT likes transposing Charlie physics onto non-Charlies. Not that I mind, since it makes for additional amusing banter.
Formerly "dazedouji" ~ Image
-----
It's been 6 years since I was here last! The more things change, the more they stay the same.
-----
Lastest check-in: July 29, 2019. :slow: :demo:
Patashu

Post by Patashu »

dazedouji wrote:Plus, I think KT likes transposing Charlie physics onto non-Charlies. Not that I mind, since it makes for additional amusing banter.
Given the age of the hack, I presume this was the best thing he could figure out.
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

What KT did back then with all of the sprites and such must have been very innovative for the time. At least raocow will now have a new controller and will hopefully play a little better...
Belfry

Post by Belfry »

Congratulations to raocow with the NEW controller! That was quite fast for a delivery by dogsled.
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

Yeah, well, we're back to square one. raocow has a new controller, but we're farther in the game.

No one should trash this game. This game was amazing back in 2004, since there wasn't any EASY way to input sprites in the game.
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
GauRocks

Post by GauRocks »

Kristian wrote:No one should trash this game. This game was amazing back in 2004, since there wasn't any EASY way to input sprites in the game.
Impressive from a technical standpoint, maybe, but I'm really not feeling the level design. It's hard to feel repetitive and too short at the same time, but a lot of levels in this hack manage it.

I'm not singling this particular hack/author out as awful or anything, though. This is the reason why game companies use a decent number of people to produce a single game, and why I'd rather watch LPs of romhacks than play them. You might have someone who's a genius in one department, like programming or making sprites, but you're not going to find anyone who is capable of churning out an entire masterpiece.
CardsOfTheHeart

Post by CardsOfTheHeart »

KT was clearly capable of making a variety of levels. Some people, including myself, are just looking for a little more variety within each world, that's all. I can understand each world having a particular theme, but the levels tend to play too similarly. The original had more level variety than this. KT was capable of doing better in that regard, but he just... didn't.
raocow on December 5, 2008 wrote:You want your plumbing to be rather solid, even if you are using plumbing as a euphemism for something else.
My YouTube Channel
Kei1ro

Post by Kei1ro »

Is it just me, or does the platform jumping of "Super Mario World Returns - 17 - bullets of the mountain king" remind you of Super Marisa World's platform placement?
ImageImage
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

See! You are already playing better with your new controller! (at least in my opinion). Wonder what the next world in this hack is going to be like.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Somehow I'd forgotten about those blizzard levels (probably because they were so horrible I purged them from my mind x_x) and geez what was KT thinking...
TheChrisD

Post by TheChrisD »

Wind is evil.
Fawriel

Post by Fawriel »

Sir raocow, as your self-proclaimed doctor and life-management-coach (and hair stylist for some reason), I tell you that you really need to start using some savestates when it comes to stuff like this. AT LEAST in order to save yourself some farming for lives. Seriously now.
SpikyRat

Post by SpikyRat »

Gosh darn it, those blizzard levels look like hell. :shock:

I hate you all.
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

Oy, that could of gone a bit better....but as we all know (especially raocow) wind can be very,very spiteful at times. *cough* vip 4 ...*cough*thorn thorn labyrinth. Mix that in with ice physics and you've got death central.
Dealth0072

Post by Dealth0072 »

This is why I quit Blizzard Entertainment...

HIYO
StarkMaximum

Post by StarkMaximum »

Fawriel wrote:Sir raocow, as your self-proclaimed doctor and life-management-coach (and hair stylist for some reason)
It's always a delight to see you post, Fawriel.
raocow wrote:I'M SO GOD DAMN WACKY
Fawriel

Post by Fawriel »

Thanks! =D
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

Pretty uneventful levels today, at least there wasn't a lot of failure on raocow's part. That's a good thing....right?
CardsOfTheHeart

Post by CardsOfTheHeart »

He might make up for it in the next video, though. :cry: The next level gave me fits even WITH savestates. It's not hard; it's just really easy to screw up. It has shades of Kouhai 3's "Whom can you protect?" level, just nowhere near as long.
raocow on December 5, 2008 wrote:You want your plumbing to be rather solid, even if you are using plumbing as a euphemism for something else.
My YouTube Channel
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Hey raocow, where'd you get your lives this time? I'm just curious because the bonus number didn't change.