(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by raekuul »

Playing Persona 4.

It's December 6th.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

All the Sonics has gotten me to dig out my copy of Sonic Chronicles; a game I haven't played in at least a decade, and never beat as a kid. Now that I am older, wiser, and good-at-video-games-er, I can see that this game has a lot working against it.

The game has half a trillion things going on, but doesn't explain them well. The worst offender of this is "armor". Characters have a defense stat, which lowers damage they take as you would expect. Characters also have an armor stat which probably also reduces damage. But you're not told what makes armor different from defense. There's equipment that increases armor but the armor stat is totally invisible. There are attacks that ignore armor, doing more damage to some entities, but they also ignore defend commands; so whats the difference between defending and armor?

There's no real reason to engage in most enemy encounters, because most of them only give you 10 experience in game where it takes several thousand to level up. Enemies don't give you money either. The only reason to fight enemies is for restorative item drops; but rest stops are so few and far in between you'll just end up using your new items.

The music isn't as bad as most people say it is, only a few tracks make my ears bleed.

I really can't wait to see the game as part of All the Sonics, but it's completely touch screen controlled and requires a lot of precision, so I have no idea how one would play it on an emulator.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I remember seeing people on the Internet saying Sonic Chronicles was amazing and then all of a sudden I only heard about how bad it was.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Nast

Post by Nast »

Kleetus wrote: 4 years ago The game has half a trillion things going on, but doesn't explain them well. The worst offender of this is "armor". Characters have a defense stat, which lowers damage they take as you would expect. Characters also have an armor stat which probably also reduces damage. But you're not told what makes armor different from defense. There's equipment that increases armor but the armor stat is totally invisible. There are attacks that ignore armor, doing more damage to some entities, but they also ignore defend commands; so whats the difference between defending and armor?
According to this FAQ (03d), "armor" refers to your damage resistance, while "defense" is actually evasion. Don't know if it's true, doesn't make much sense either way...

Kleetus wrote: 4 years ago The music isn't as bad as most people say it is, only a few tracks make my ears bleed.
I remember the battle music being kinda neat, but the map music... like, I wouldn't go as far to call it ear-bleeding, but it's kinda pathetic for a DS game. It doesn't help either that a lot of those songs already have superior renditions dating back like 12 years.

Kleetus wrote: 4 years ago I really can't wait to see the game as part of All the Sonics, but it's completely touch screen controlled and requires a lot of precision, so I have no idea how one would play it on an emulator.
If raocow owns a pen tablet I figure that'd be his best bet
The Hero Hartmut
First name: Garreth

Post by The Hero Hartmut »

I bashed up my right thumb in an accident at work over the weekend, so I decided to start a new Digimon World run since it doesn't require much in terms of real-time stress on that side of the controller. I was able to get a legitimate Ultimate-level Digivolution on my first partner: Agumon -> Centarumon -> Andromon. Wasn't expecting to actually do it. I even got Angemon to the city much earlier than usual as a result.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

The Hero Hartmut wrote: 4 years ago I was able to get a legitimate Ultimate-level Digivolution on my first partner: Agumon -> Centarumon -> Andromon. Wasn't expecting to actually do it. I even got Angemon to the city much earlier than usual as a result.
That's awesome, good job!!!!!!!!!

I once got Andromon (second partner, Punimon -> Tsunomon -> Elecmon -> Leomon -> Andromon) through battling a lot iirc, maybe that's what you did. There's only so much you can do to pass the time in this game.

Condolences on the right thumb though.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
The Hero Hartmut
First name: Garreth

Post by The Hero Hartmut »

It happened after I fed him, so I believe I'd just gotten close enough to the target weight and stat requirements, as well as having fewer than five care mistakes, to satisfy the Digivolution parameters. I don't recall having gotten into that many battles. A shame I'm not in a position for him to learn some of the machine techniques (which are mostly based in Factorial Town fights), though getting Megaton Punch is certainly a nice boon.

You really do need to know what you're doing to make any kind of progress with this game.
Arrietty
Smol like a frend.
First name: Arrietty
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arrietty »

Bean wrote: 4 years ago I beat Let's Go Pikachu! the other night, so there's the first ever game in that series taken care of after twenty years of it being around.
Congrats! I remember you telling me yeaaars ago that you've never played much of a Pokemon game before. What did you think of LGPE? :D
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Arrietty wrote: 4 years agoCongrats! I remember you telling me yeaaars ago that you've never played much of a Pokemon game before. What did you think of LGPE? :D
It was fine. I know it's not the traditional deal of whittling a wild one down to then catch it, but maybe it was for the best that it was faster for a first attempt since 1-on-1 RPGs are usually not my thing. The only thing I didn't like about it was how it felt like catches were just pure luck. I could get three Excellent ratings in a row only to catch it on a halfhearted Nice attempt.

It was fun, unlike Mega Man X5 which I am now replaying on the MMX Legacy Collection 2 to finally finish that game off. Way too much text and forced gameplay breaks in that one for me to ever like it. Even X6 knew not to do that.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

I recently beat Pokemon Sword, and I think this may be one of my favourites (Nothing'll beat Gen 5 though, hehehe). Everything about it is so strong, from the story, to the atmosphere, to the lore, I love it all. Also raids are so fun, I've been doing them quite frequently! (Thanks FusionWarrior for finding so many raids, your mew has carried them many times!)
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I have now officially done a full month of Ring Fit Adventure. My weight isn’t much lower, but I do feel better overall and my sleep has improved tremendously. I have also been able to increase my exercise time from 10 minutes to nearly 25 minutes. The original 10 minutes feels like barely anything now.
Nast

Post by Nast »

Finished Hyper Light Drifter. Pretty sure I got everything there is to get in a normal game. I might try New Game+ and New Game Alt at some point.

What a neat little game. Fantastic presentation and ambience, with some seriously memorable visual setpieces. Generally more linear than I expected, but with a pretty appealing approach to exploration, where you are encouraged to look for secrets through observation rather than obsessively running into walls or jumping down random holes. The combat's fast-paced and becomes more dynamic the more abilities you unlock, while remaining very simple at its core. The level design is pretty consistent, sometimes to a fault, but certain nuances give each region its own unique feel, along with enemy selection and unique mechanics. Not many super memorable or creative gameplay setups, but by no means unfun or badly designed. The lack of information and dialogue is fascinating as I've said before, managing to make me feel alienated and immersed at the same time - that said, the entirety of the story went completely over my head. Overall it ticks all the right boxes for a super solid Metroidvania, imo.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Finally went through and finished off the Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1+2. X5 was the last game on the list, and it's still the worst of the main eight to me just for being such a poor follow-up to MMX4. X6 is worse when comparing the two, but at least that one knows it's a bad game. I will say that they did fix one of my biggest gripes in the game though by making it easier to jump out of the Ride Armor in the lava level to get that one capsule, so that and the better translation makes it the definitive version of a mediocre Mega Man.

4 > 2 > 1 > 8 > 3 > 7 > 6 > 5
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: You played a video game? Do those even exist?

Post by Awoo »

Bean wrote: 4 years ago Finally went through and finished off the Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1+2. X5 was the last game on the list, and it's still the worst of the main eight to me just for being such a poor follow-up to MMX4. X6 is worse when comparing the two, but at least that one knows it's a bad game. I will say that they did fix one of my biggest gripes in the game though by making it easier to jump out of the Ride Armor in the lava level to get that one capsule, so that and the better translation makes it the definitive version of a mediocre Mega Man.

4 > 2 > 1 > 8 > 3 > 7 > 6 > 5
5 and 6 just needed more

energy vinegar

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

I've been trying to hatch myself a shiny Mimiyku in Pokemon Sword, I'm currently around 450 eggs in and no sign of the shiny yet. Hopefully Masuda will be in my favour though!
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Nast

Post by Nast »

I had a go at Sonic Robo Blast 2 which I haven't played in years. It recently had a massive update and I've heard a lot of praise for it.

Admittedly first impressions weren't very good. Setting up gamepad controls was a huge hassle, and even then actually controlling Sonic felt very awkward at the start. I did get accostumed to it eventually though and I started appreciating the game a lot more. The level design's open enough without lacking a sense of direction, it has that spirit of the 2D games where you could go multiple runs through a stage and have a totally different experience due to all the different paths you can take. There's some pretty neat level mechanics too. Unfortunately I had to stop due to a sudden bout of motion sickness :ehh: But I'm curious to see the rest of the game.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

NastCF wrote: 4 years ago I had a go at Sonic Robo Blast 2 which I haven't played in years. It recently had a massive update and I've heard a lot of praise for it.
I actually tried it out and played to Techno Hill 2. The way the thok, camera and characters all control now are mad jank but I'm still getting used to it. Changed the jump and spin buttons from keyboard keys to mouse clicks so it's less awkward on my hands. Got two emeralds, probably won't get all of them.

Started Wild ARMs again last night just to check out the Japanese version. Thinking of going through the game like this and studying the dialogue for vocab. Not expecting Yasunari Kawabata out of this (btw i should read like Snow Country or smth to start getting into books, JRPGs are ruining my sense of taste) but anything's better than Pokémon text.
Image Image
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I have been playing the Bloodstained games.

I ended up liking Curse of the Moon a lot more than I expected to. The levels are designed with the stiff controls in mind and reward resourceful, careful play. I also liked how different the game plays out depending on if you go for the good or bad ending. The boss fights have too much trial and error, though, and thus a weak point of the game for me.

I am still fairly early into Ritual of the Night. The game is a pretty solid metroidvania with a focus on combat and RPG elements such as loot, equipment, and stats. But something about the game feels... off to me. Animations feel stiff and unpolished, there is no coyote time for jumping off ledges, not enough feedback for dealing or receiving damage. And one time the game crashed on me when I tried looking at a bookshelf. Also, I hate the color palette. The screen feels way too visually busy and I have trouble seeing my player character and enemies. The game feels kind of cheap because of all of these minor issues. But despite all of this, I am having a lot of fun and the game is pretty addicting.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, Ritual of the Night needs a patch since it did crash on me once and my bro twice in our playthroughs on the PS4. Very good game though in spite of some technical flaws. Curse of the Moon was just flat-out great. Helps that it plays like 3 and Rondo, my two favorites.

I'm tyring Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair. First game was basically a calling card to Banjo in some ways, apparently. Wouldn't know. This one totally has DKC Returns & Tropical Freeze vibes. Control feels a little heavy on some jumps, and I wish platformers would just let you hold down the button to jump higher off enemies and springs than pressing it at the exact moment, but whatever. The Retro DKC games were exactly like that themselves.

About a quarter of the way through the game now and having a good time with it.
Nast

Post by Nast »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago Changed the jump and spin buttons from keyboard keys to mouse clicks so it's less awkward on my hands.
Is it actually more comfortable to play with mouse and keyboard? The idea of playing a platformer like that just doesn't sit well with me, but maybe I should give it a try?
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

still sick so im playing a bit of sonic heroes tonight. got to bullet station with like 27 lives and 2 emeralds (got the green one just now)

NastCF wrote: 4 years ago Is it actually more comfortable to play with mouse and keyboard? The idea of playing a platformer like that just doesn't sit well with me, but maybe I should give it a try?
i dunno this is jsut what iv'e been doign
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair was a good game. Since it's been five years since Tropical Freeze already, this one hit the platforming spot. Nice to see Playtonic (old Rare devs) make the kind of games they were making back in the SNES/N64 days here. Could've done without the overworld stuff though. It felt way too stiff compared to the great 2D action the main stages offered up.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I'm still on Death Stranding. I don't want it to end.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I picked up Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon for my first the first time in a few weeks. I did the first mission of the winter cabin place, and on what appeared to be the last screen before you warp back and end the mission, I encountered these purple puff ball guys. Couldn't figure out what to do with them, couldn't leave the room, screwed around in that room with nothing to do for 10 minutes before finally looking it up. Apparently Toad is supposed to go to the teleporter and end the mission but for some reason with me he got stuck running up against the elevator and I couldn't interact with him and I was softlocked. I had to quit out of the mission and it put me in such a foul mood I didn't want to play any more cause I have to do the entire mission over again.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Started playing Shovel Knight: King of Cards. Never would have guessed that the final Shovel Knight campaign would be a Yu-Gi-Oh arc.