(shouting)

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - U R Not Red E

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - U R Not Red E

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Lots of Crash bosses feel like Mario Party minigames to me.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Caught up on the last two videos and wow, I did not remember that in Sewer or Later the crystal was in the branching path. Normally crystals are simply badges demonstrating that you beat a level; they're not things you have to search for to obtain. (Getting a crystal and using pause menu to exit a level doesn't count.

Collecting a crystal and then using an alternate exit does, though.

)
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

ohohohoho man i've been waiting for this. secret world here we goooooo

btw, raocow, you are missing something about the multi-bounce boxes. here's an explanation of what's going on with them, spoilered in case you want to figure it out yourself:

there's 10 wumpa fruits in each, but when you bounce the first time it starts a timer. when the timer runs out, the box breaks no matter what. that's why, every time you've "played it safe" by holding jump for as long as possible, you've only gotten 7 or 8 fruits out of it and a relatively unpredictable break. so that's actually a less safe way to go about it.

ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I mean he literally says almost that in the video
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Whimsical Calamari wrote: 4 years ago btw, raocow, you are missing something about the multi-bounce boxes. here's an explanation of what's going on with them, spoilered in case you want to figure it out yourself:

there's 10 wumpa fruits in each, but when you bounce the first time it starts a timer. when the timer runs out, the box breaks no matter what. that's why, every time you've "played it safe" by holding jump for as long as possible, you've only gotten 7 or 8 fruits out of it and a relatively unpredictable break. so that's actually a less safe way to go about it.

So, basically, like multi-coins in mario edit: multi-coin blocks, rather

Last edited by SAJewers 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Whimsical Calamari

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago

So, basically, like multi-coins in mario

...well when you put it that way
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Yikes Hangin' Out was hard, and also yeah how is Crash spinning while holding onto the wire meshes? (In the remake he rotates the arm positions while spinning.)

This may sound obvious, but I think with those jumps that you were having trouble with, instead of looking only at the obstacles in front, observe the floor and how close you are to the edge. It seemed that there were times you weren't close enough when you jumped.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

silly raocow, time travel is the next one
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

this is supposedly the best game of the trilogy? at least from what i've heard?

'cause uuuHHHHH this looks way worse than crash 1 so far. today part of it was raocow's fault for sure but the design at its core is just..... not good
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago this is supposedly the best game of the trilogy? at least from what i've heard?

'cause uuuHHHHH this looks way worse than crash 1 so far. today part of it was raocow's fault for sure but the design at its core is just..... not good
Crash 2 has a lot more weird stuff required for 100% than Crash 1 (I think as a countermeasure to no longer needing to get all boxes without dying for a gem), but a regular playthrough is a lot more manageable. They tone it down a lot in Crash 3 (which I honestly think is the best in the series), but there's still a couple of bits of very obtuse design.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Yeah, I'm also finding Crash 2 a bit less fun (at least to watch) than Crash 1. Also, I don't like the hub being so tiny and busy. Makes me feel claustrophobic.
I think it mainly comes down to the box collecting tho.
ImageImage
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

That was certainly one of the more creative ways I've seen someone get the box gem in Diggin' It.

You do have to do a bit of backtracking to get it, but you definitely don't have to backtrack through the entire death route like that, let alone climb along the side geometry like that to go across the gap at the end like that.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Whimsical Calamari

MonkeyShrapnel wrote: 4 years ago That was certainly one of the more creative ways I've seen someone get the box gem in Diggin' It.
i'm pretty sure that's the main way i got both gems in that level. i don't know if i ever realized that the skull platform was a "get here without dying" challenge. i either saw it or i didn't, and chalked it up to "i guess i dont have enough clear gems"
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The beehive levels are IMO the most bland type of setting relative to how far you are in the game. The music isn't that notable, and nothing really stood out so it felt like I just played through the levels without paying attention to what's there and felt "Ok that happened" and just moved on. Ironically the level type I forgot about until this LP wasn't this, it was Road to Ruin.

This wasn't the first level that involved split paths and backtracking to explore both paths - the intent may have been to go through one path and then backtrack through the same path to return to the fork, and after that proceed in the other path. After you clear stuff in the given path it would be easier to go back through it, although in this case the presence of beehives meant there's a limit to how much you can clear out. But honestly, it felt like the skull path was easier to go back than forward, because the plants weren't attacking as you approached them. (

You can bounce on those crouching red plants and defeat them with the body slam, or with spinning while burrowed.

) Or maybe that's because the nitro crates were gone? I guess this level was designed so that you can go back and forth through either path even though one is a challenge path, seeing as how you can ride the first skull platform back to the fork. I was also surprised that the second skull platform at the end of the death route remained even after the first platform became unavailable. I wonder how exploiting the side terrain affects the trigger for whether or not you're in this side area.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

This beehive setting is actually very interesting to me because it's just past where I ever played to as a kid, so it's like this weird bizarro version of the forest levels I'm used to, with all these strange new enemies.

Also there are good reasons for this to be considered the best in the series, but ymmv on the actual level design. I think it's fine? But those three mostly similar sewer levels in close proximity are pretty hmmm
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

The death animations in the beehive levels are all really good. rao has seen two of the three I'm thinking of
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

this thraed is fuckign cursed

every time im incapacitated from updating the op for some reason

first it was depression now it's acute stomach aches what's next

op updated btw
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I hope you'll be okay Koba
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

They should've given this level Stormy Ascent treatment :demo:

The comments on Youtube said this too, but just for the record within this thread: the missing box in Cold Hard Crash is

in the bonus level, above the two bounce crates; it's just above screen visibility

The death route exit really should've brought you where you left off in the main path, instead of past a point of no return. And initially I was thinking that maybe it would be easier to finish the sidescrolling portion of the main path and then backtrack to the skull platform, so that then you can just go through the death route once and be done with it. But you can't, since there's a point of no return within the sidescrolling too, right after where the platform is found.

The next time you play this level, I would recommend saving that checkpoint right next to the skull platform until after you're done with the skull path.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years agothe missing box in Cold Hard Crash is

in the bonus level, above the two bounce crates; it's just above screen visibility

For anyone who needs an image, credit Beta_Squared in the Spotzone

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Window Squeegee
Hog with a Blog

Post by Window Squeegee »

It really doesn't get much worse than Cold Hard Crash. Getting the box gem in it is basically a culmination of every terrible design choice for a Crash game rolled up into one. On the bright side, it really doesn't get much worse than Cold Hard Crash. Except maybe a few outliers.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Cold Hard Crash is as hard as the game gets with all boxes, although there are some other contenders later on. Still, it's not the end of the world. You're there. It's just a frustrating level. Pretty sure that was one of my last gems both times I played the game, too!
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Oh, man, when I saw that 144/145 I laughed so hard. raocow's reaction was perfect.

I had a horrible time with the level too, but I did enjoy the challenge of it despite the level leaning heavily on some BS design choices. But yeah, playing on your own time without worrying about a schedule or entertaining your viewers does reduce a lot of the frustrations.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

I find Cold Hard Crash pretty fun just playing through it normally but yeah, getting all the boxes is a pretty horrendous experience. You can definitely feel the classic 'gotta make it hard in annoying ways so the game takes longer to complete' design standard here.

Weirdly, watching raocow play through this makes me want to replay the Spyro games rather than replay Crash. I wish I had my PS4 with me here.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Having recently gone through all 3 Crash games playing the remakes...

Cold Hard Crash is the worst.