(shouting)

An Untitled Story-Rebelling by exploring like a penguin

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: An Untitled Story-Rebelling by exploring like a penguin

Post by raocow »

Just understand my position. In a game where exploring the goal, it's kinda silly to remove the exploration aspect.

At some point I'll have done what I can and I might look for hints - we're not there yet though!

Have faith in me, is all I can ask!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Madacaek

Post by Madacaek »

There's actually a full guide (minus the stuff added in the 1.10 patch which is like five hearts and one upgrade) out there if you look for it, but I think vague hints as to the location and nature of the item will be enough once raocow runs out of exploration juice.
Crimson

Post by Crimson »

Something I just learned the hard way: Stay the hell away from the "BGs" folder

It's not the backgrounds there, it has the entire level layout and the ending.
Madacaek

Post by Madacaek »

Well it's hidden for a reason you know.
AirPump

Post by AirPump »

I'm playing this game myself and spent most of yesterday playing it. I'm much further than raocow now.

raocow, just wait until you get to the lava and water zones. You are probably not gonna like them too much.
cousinted

Post by cousinted »

I must say that I'm really enjoying this one so far. Your narrative style is very well suited to the Metroidvania genre.

It's too bad all those people on Youtube were being spoiling spoilers. I'm glad you found the hatching power-up so easily, that thing took me forever to figure out.
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

Fawriel wrote:I... do think you're probably reading a little too much into that comment.
<_< Thank goodness someone else said it for me.

As someone who's not playing along and wasn't reading more than the front page of comments on the video, it really was a surprise when the chicken butterfly thing happened. I mean, when we first saw the dudes, I was thinking, "Maybe you can't talk to them because you're an egg, and they're hatched eggs or something," and then when raocow got to the wall, I was like, "Okay, so maybe the statue gives you a triple-jump or something."

Yeah, I guess it gave you the "or something."
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
GauRocks

Post by GauRocks »

Madacaek wrote:There's actually a full guide (minus the stuff added in the 1.10 patch which is like five hearts and one upgrade) out there if you look for it, but I think vague hints as to the location and nature of the item will be enough once raocow runs out of exploration juice.
Well crap, now I have to change versions. Fortunately, none of the new content is available to raocow yet, and MountSide is the only difference I've seen. I just played it, and the first room is defninitely "safer". but I preferred the old one. The perfect timing required in this one breaks my flow.

Speaking of version differences, raocow, you're on 1.1.4.0/1.14, right?

For the curious, here's the old first room: http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7853 ... ntside.png
Madacaek

Post by Madacaek »

Fun fact, on my current Masterful run of AUS, I started playing on 1.01, did my business in MountSide, then later found out about and installed 1.14, so that room was kind of a surprise to me as well. For all I know, there's an entire new area connected to MountSide now.
GauRocks

Post by GauRocks »

Madacaek wrote:Fun fact, on my current Masterful run of AUS, I started playing on 1.01, did my business in MountSide, then later found out about and installed 1.14, so that room was kind of a surprise to me as well. For all I know, there's an entire new area connected to MountSide now.
Nope, every other room is at least the same general layout. Things may rotate at a different speed than they used to, but the rest is identical. Otherwise, I would have posted more screenshots.
StarkMaximum

Post by StarkMaximum »

EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED BY GAUROCKS
Last edited by StarkMaximum 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow wrote:I'M SO GOD DAMN WACKY
GauRocks

Post by GauRocks »

Yeah, you need to grab the new version. That's a bug that he listed as fixed. The newest version is at http://www.mattmakesgames.com and is freeware and completely compatible with your old save files, so you might as well.
StarkMaximum

Post by StarkMaximum »

GauRocks wrote:Yeah, you need to grab the new version. That's a bug that he listed as fixed. The newest version is at http://www.mattmakesgames.com and is freeware and completely compatible with your old save files, so you might as well.
Rock on, GauRocks. I'll get on that. Many thanks.

EDIT: Apparently Matt himself noticed raocow's LP!

"I've been alerted to the fact that a man known as raocow is doing a Let's Play of An Untitled Story. What interests me most is that he has decided to do the playthrough blind. Because so much of An Untitled Story was designed to confuse/intrigue the player (hopefully in a good way), it'll be very interesting for me to watch and gauge his reactions to the game as he goes. He's also playing on Difficult first which... well, we'll see how that goes."

He also mentions hateworkboy's and CeilingNinja's.
chrishy

Post by chrishy »

Eurgh. It may be me, but I do believe a difficulty spike approaches. The water/lava worlds that were mentioned are...formidable to say the least. Though, now that the egg is hatched, a LOT of doors are opened for exploration. One led to a boss that I found hilarious for no real reason. I suspect raocow will be working his way back to said boss in a few days. (Not that it is hidden really, just out of the way from where he is currently.)

And that secret passage in the Grotto was not fun. -_- Nor was the Mountslide room with the perfect jump required. Someone mentioned waiting until another doublejump upgrade was acquired, but I didn't know there was one, so I went through it all with only one doublejump height upgrade. D:
ChrisIsCornflake on YouTube.
First Founder of the talkhaus IRC, [url=irc://irc.badnik.net/talkhaus]irc://irc.badnik.net/talkhaus[/url]. (Info)
Madacaek

Post by Madacaek »

So I just remembered the most hilarious bug from way back when the game was merely a demo that went up to only slightly further than where raocow is now.

If you managed to make your way back to the starting room, with the nest, a second bird would spawn. You would be controlling two birds at the same time, it was great. Sadly, I believe it crashed once the two birds got superimposed and tried to save.

EDIT FOR VIDEO COMMENT:

Wow, FarBall gave you a lot more trouble than I would've expected. You got your first gold orb though, so hooray. In the future, you might want to postpone bosses that feel too hard until you have a few more hearts to tank hits with. I'm sure nobody will mind.
Fawriel

Post by Fawriel »

You know, I'm actually kinda glad that the egg hatched. I couldn't help feeling uneasy watching an innocent little egg go on such a dangerous journey... Especially when it fell from great heights.

... I get a little too involved in some things.

In fact, I hope there'll be another appearance upgrade. Because. Uh. That "chicken" looks like some sort of jellyfish to me. ._.
LordAlexander

Post by LordAlexander »

Finally completed that stupid Mountside trial. A little hint, to get some extra height from the "cannons", hit them from the top. Don't jump from under them, or you won't get launched as far. Good luck in there...
StarkMaximum

Post by StarkMaximum »

Wow, an hour? I didn't have nearly as much trouble on this boss...but of course, I'm playing on Normal AND I found him WAY later in the game (I think I had close to but not quite at 300 HP at that point), so I guess those both combine to make this guy way harder on raocow's run. Still, stuff like this is why watching LPs of games you've played are so much fun!
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

I have beaten this Giant hopping splitting Thwomp Boss in my first try.

raocow, really, you need to concentrate! :P
cousinoer5

Post by cousinoer5 »

Madacaek wrote:Wow, FarBall gave you a lot more trouble than I would've expected. You got your first gold orb though, so hooray. In the future, you might want to postpone bosses that feel too hard until you have a few more hearts to tank hits with. I'm sure nobody will mind.
This, very much so. Soon, bosses (and even stuff in the space between those bosses!) will start doing over 100 damage per hit, which basically leaves you 2 or 3 hits while the boss has 4 hits and only reveals the weak point after trying to kill you for 2 hours. I suggust actually buying those heart upgrades from the shop first, the blue orb is useful, but not required at all, so it could wait (though seeing as you have 600 something crystals now, I'm sure you could buy the upgrade and several hearts, don't worry about buying the gold orb for now, by time you need it, you should have beaten several bosses which will most likely give you over 500 crystals to buy it).

I wouldn't mind if you dedicated a video to heart hunting, sometimes expanding your life meter is the best type of progress (It'll also save you a lot of headaches when dealing with the later stages of this game).

Also, I had no idea these guys had names, I just called that guy "Blue Rocky Version of Marching Milde", FarBall seems like a much better name though.
Crimson

Post by Crimson »

HarmfulGravemind wrote:I have beaten this Giant hopping splitting Thwomp Boss in my first try.

But were you on difficult?

Another thing that might be helpful: Down in the air is a great way to dodge something coming at your face (Unless something else is planning on greeting you on the way down)
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Seems like difficult adds a smaller split for that boss because when I fought him I didn't have anywhere near that many small dudes hopping around. Probably would have been better to fight him later but man raocow you are stubborn like an ox but I gotta admire that persistence.
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

Crimson wrote:
HarmfulGravemind wrote:I have beaten this Giant hopping splitting Thwomp Boss in my first try.

But were you on difficult?
Oh yeah, I forgot that he plays on an higher difficulty, I play on Normal, it could be that ^^
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

Yup, Stonemaku Mild. Another member of the nefarious stonemaku mafia family.
atruong18

Post by atruong18 »

interesting glitch i got myself stuck in the other day.
in the room when you get the powerup for the yellow jump upgrade thingy, i went back in that room and the path to exit was removed and was trapped. -at least i saved before i went in that room thankfully.-