(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Who Knows How Much of Who in the Omni-Catcher - Chaotix - Two Rings to Rule Them All

Post by Bean »

Yeah, the idea is to throw your partner up between hits as the machine is making its way over to you unless there's a robot that needs to be dealt with first. Amazing Arena would get props from me for having the most going on inside of it with enemies and the goal of hitting a switch to turn the place on, and that is required to beat each act, but it's got the same problem as all the other areas of finding that goal being whatever. There's no real flow to any of the levels, and it's a bummer!
Grounder

Re: Who Knows How Much of Who in the Omni-Catcher - Chaotix - Two Rings to Rule Them All

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

this isn't necessarily the worst platformy sonic game out there but this has probably been just, the least interesting to watch

all the levels are just Disaster Mazes and the game Doesn't Work Right

every episode is 3 to 10 minutes of raocow fighting with the controls and getting hopelessly lost
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

This game could've been made by a bot and I wouldn't even question it.
ImageImage
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Five is X because Roman Numerals are cool.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Some soundtrack dissonance to at least make the bad ending funny.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

Everything's on fire! Thank you for playing!
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

I can't believe it took me until a couple days ago to realize what made the levels feel weird. There's no layer swapping. No loops, no "two paths cross over here but you only have collision with one of them", nothing. Maybe it's a limitation they gave themselves thanks to the weird two player mechanic? But it limits Sonic level design beyond belief.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

...And that's the story of how Dr. Robotnik destroyed Newtrogic High Zone, a deed for which he would be renowned as a hero for generations to come.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I can't believe Robotnik was the good guy all along
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

RIP Newtrogic High Zone

"We Don't Know What Newtrogic Means Either"
– Newtrogic High Zone
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Crow

Post by Crow »

COOOOL
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

so yeah this game is straight-up not canon last time i checked

let us never speak of this again :partygator:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

I really like the Special Stages in this game, it's just the hardware holding them back. This would be great with a smoother frame rate, farther draw-distance, and either a drop-shadow for Knuckles and obstacles, or going Sonic Mania and using simple 3D models.

I'd bet anything that this would have been much better if they had held out for the Saturn instead of trying to do it on the 32x. Given the lack of games for the system, I'll bet anything that the mind-set was to push the system as absolutely hard as they could for the flashiest part of the game, and then try and push it that little tiny bit more where the system isn't quite good enough to run it as well as it should, but all of the bells-and-whistles would hopefully make up for it.

Kind of like with Star Fox, the game runs at an unbelievably slow framerate, but the developers compensated by adjusting everything's speed so it was still playable. They pushed the system farther than it *should* have gone, but were able to make up for it. This game looks like it tried to do the same, but couldn't quite hit the "make up for it". Probably because it's the Special Stages, where it takes a lot of work to get back to another try, so you don't get as much opportunity to learn how best to work around the jankiness of it. Things seemed to work a lot better once raocow had save-states to immediately jump right back into it.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

why is every single sonic special stage predicated on the idea that sonic and friends physically cannot stop moving forward, why can't they just pause for a second or maybe turn around, why must knuckles bash into a wall to move sideways
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
VGjoe

Post by VGjoe »

Might as well bring in my ring count data for Knuckles Chaotix here:
Isolated Island - 143
Special 1 - 46
Speed Slider 1 - 43
Techno Tower 1 - 42
Amazing Arena 1 - 68
Special 2 - 1
Techno Tower 2 - 71
Special 2: polygon grill edition - 62
Marina Madness 1 - 73
Special 3 - 72
Marina Madness 2 - 131
Special 3: HALP edition - 8
Marina Madness 3 - 111
Special 3: SAVE ME edition - 31
Techno Tower 3 - 51
Special 3: WAKE ME UP INSIDE edition - 24
Botanic Base 1 - 63
Special 3: CAN'T WAKE UP edition - 63
Botanic Base 2 - 130
Special 3: HELLO DARKNESS edition - 77
Marina Madness 4 - 160
Special 3: MY OLD FRIEND edition - 55
Amazing Arena 2 - 48
Botanic Base 3 - 34
Botanic Base 4 - 159
Special 3: SCARED edition - 86
Amazing Arena 3 - 6
Botanic Base 5 - 2
Marina Madness 5 - 0
Techno Tower 4 - 30
Speed Slider 2 - 91
Special 4: EVERLASTING DARKNESS edition - 68
Techno Tower 5 - 5
Amazing Arena 4 - 132
Special 4: DARKNESS WITHIN DARKNESS edition - 21
Amazing Arena 5 - 0
Speed Slider 3 - 43
Speed Slider 4 - 0
Speed Slider 5 - 3
World Entrance 1 - 0
World Entrance 2 - 1
Special 4: WELCOME TO HELL edition - 30
Special 4: DOOM edition - 66
Special 5: DARKNESS edition - 20
Special 5: THE HEART'S TRUE ESSENCE edition - 0*
Special 5: I CAN SMELL DARKNESS NOW edition - 58*
Special 5: IT SMELLS LIKE DARKNESS edition - 44*
Special 6: FRESH NEW HELL edition - 116
Special 6: DESPAIR edition- 8*
Special 6: AND BEAR edition - 2*
Special 6: DESPAIR IS LOVE edition - 3*
Special 6: DESPAIR IS LIFE edition - 0*
Special 6: NO HOPE edition - 0*
Special 6: NO FUTURE edition - 0*
Special 6: WHAT IS REAL edition - 0*
Special 6: SWEET RELEASE edition - 42*
Special 1: WIREFRAME HELL edition - 34
Special 1: WAIT raocow WHAT ARE YOU DOING edition - 6*
Special 1: raocow STAHP edition - 32*
World Entrance 1 round 2 - 0
World Entrance 2 round 2 - 0
Isolated Island 1: training mode edition - 144
Isolated Island 2 - 150
Isolated Island 3 - 71
Isolated Island 4 - 89

Total Rings collected in Knuckles Chaotix: 3170
Last edited by VGjoe 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun 32X facts!

SEGA of America's marketing pitched the 32X as being 40 times more powerful than the Super NES and 6 times more powerful than the 3DO. This was a little misleading, as it was only referring to CPU performance, as the 32X's dual Hitachi SH-2 are capable of processing over 59 MIPS, compared to the Super NES's Ricoh 5A22 which processes up to 1.5 MIPS and the 3DO's ARM60 which processes about 9 MIPS.

In terms of 3D polygon performance, the 32X is theoretically capable of rendering up to 160,000 flat-shaded polygons/sec and 50,000 textured polygons/sec, if its CPUs are dedicated exclusively to processing and rendering 3D graphics. In comparison, the 3DO renders up to 20,000 textured polygons/sec, while the Super Nintendo's Super FX 2 cartridge enhancement chip renders up to 4,000 flat-shaded polygons/sec and 2,000 textured polygons/sec.

This means the 32X can theoretically render up to 40 times as many polygons as the Super FX 2 chip and more than twice as many textured polygons as the 3DO. However, the 3DO has Panasonic video coprocessors which handle 3D polygons and take the load off the CPU, whereas the 32X can only rely on its twim CPUs to render the 3D graphics. If one of its CPUs is used for gameplay and the other for graphics (like in an actual videogame and not a tech demo), the 32X's practical performance would be sliced clean in half. Contrary to Sega of America's claims, the 32X is not much more powerful than the 3DO, and in fact might not be at all since not much is known about the details of the 3DO's Panasonic video coprocessors.

The 32X is able to output up to 32,768 colours on-screen at once, but since it still has to use the Mega Drive pipeline it is quite a bit slower at rendering a full 320x224 image in this mode than the Mega Drive in its 64 on-screen colour mode. Because of this, most 32X games rely on the Mega Drive hardware to draw large, detailed backgrounds or foregrounds (something very evident in Chaotix). With the 32X side able to pick up some slack in terms of graphics processing, more colours can be reserved by the Mega Drive for this purpose than in the average Mega Drive-specific game.

The 32X also adds a two channel PWM sound chip, intended to complement the existing Mega Drive audio capabilities rather than replace them outright, but due to a hilarious failure of communication on SEGA's part, most games for the 32X sound exactly like stock Genesis games, with some developers failing to realize the chip even existed.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Wasn't this supposed to be one of the "good" games for the 32X?
ImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago Wasn't this supposed to be one of the "good" games for the 32X?
It is. :demo:

of course, not everyone agrees. But the higher rated titles tend to have a very narrow scope like sports titles, or are ports of existing titles (Space Harrier, Doom).
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago Wasn't this supposed to be one of the "good" games for the 32X?
Not "good", "notable"
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

Knuckles Chaotix is a true masterpiece, especially in level design. All mazes with no sense of direction? True genius.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Reecer7 wrote: 4 years ago why is every single sonic special stage predicated on the idea that sonic and friends physically cannot stop moving forward, why can't they just pause for a second or maybe turn around, why must knuckles bash into a wall to move sideways
It's practice for Sonic and the Secret Rings.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Any sonic game where sonic isn't constantly moving forward is noncanon according to Yuji Naka.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 4 years ago Fun 32X facts!
oh g*d yeah this is my shit <3 <3 <3

VGjoe wrote: 4 years ago NO FUTURE
doot-doot, doot doot doot, doot-doot doot doot

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago
It is. :demo:

of course, not everyone agrees. But the higher rated titles tend to have a very narrow scope like sports titles, or are ports of existing titles (Space Harrier, Doom).
i'm gonna make a hot take and say that the best games on the 32x are probably virtua fighter, virtua racing and space harrier (im very bad at after burner (but also space harrier so lol), feel free to include complete tho)

virtua fighter is just a rock-solid port especially compared to the jank-ass saturn release. it's a childhood game of mine, played on emulator
even as a kid i could tell the megadrive "port" of 2 sucked massive amounts of ass

the 32x is like what if the saturn but Actually Bad instead of just Handled Like Hot Garbage (i will defend the saturn until i die)

i can kind of appreciate it as an oddity but it's not a good console. almost all of its games are ports, all the non ports tend to be rough around the edges outside of like kolibri and tempo, likely due to rushed development schedules. there's less games than the goddamn jaguar (more than jaguar cd tho)

Here's a good video on it if anyone wants the full story

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago Any sonic game where sonic isn't constantly moving forward is noncanon according to Yuji Naka.
the new iga timeline discourse
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Who Knows How Much of Who in the Omni-Catcher - Segata - Sega Saturn, Shiro!!

Post by Awoo »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago (i will defend the saturn until i die)
Are you actually Segata Sanshiro?

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image