(shouting)

A Rose in the Twilight - Hope for Humanity

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: A Rose in the Twilight - Tamingo Folly

Post by Alice »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years agoa grim little aesthetic
A grim but cute aesthetic*
Bluster Kerfuffle
Master of Windy Import
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: A Rose in the Twilight - Mr. Lincoln

Post by Bluster Kerfuffle »

I am wondering how the game is going to mix the usual blood transfusion mechanic with the new blooding can thing, since both seem to require your rose to be red but use of the former depletes it entirely while use of the latter does not.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: A Rose in the Twilight - Amalia

Post by ano0maly »

All this time I thought those small semicircular vine pieces were wheels with spikes, until I saw the thorn-covered castle gate
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: A Demo in the Twilight - Amélie

Post by Awoo »

So, Rose has a headache every time she regenerates after "death". Does that mean that you're secretly playing as Agent Black,with a giant/blob buddy, raocow?

(quite a neat game, hard to believe it's made by the same people who made Disgaea, one of my favorite franchises)
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: A Rose in the Twilight - Amalia

Post by Alice »

raocow, you should work on your wording. Rather than stating your last act for the video was going to be climbing in an iron maiden, you didn't specify it was the last act for the video which implies it'll be your last act ever. So now I'm fully expecting your final lp to be an lp of being put into an iron maiden irl.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: A Battle in the Twilight - Easy Mode is (not) an option

Post by Awoo »

Am I weird for thinking that the music in the Library part here kinda sounds like this:

It's almost like a "happier" version? It just strikes me as similar for some reason.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: A Rose in the Twilight - Double Knock Out

Post by ano0maly »

Interesting detail: the "other Rose" has her dress torn a bit in a couple of spots (although only in the scenes at the Auditorium floor for some reason). And I wonder if you can unhook both chains (rather than just one on the right) but not pick her up and just leave alone?

And I think this is how I decipher the four shapes puzzle:
These are what the diaries tell us:
  • Heart - lost to Diamond, isn't last place.
  • Spade - almost won but lost to one shape, and calls another shape a liar.
  • Clover - claims to have won.
  • Diamond - claims to have defeated Clover.
So from this we can infer:
  • Clover allegedly beat everyone, and Diamond allegedly beat Clover. Since these two claims contradict, one of them must be the liar.
  • Heart is therefore telling the truth.
  • Heart isn't last but isn't first either, with Diamond somewhere in front of it.
  • We know that there can be only one winner, and Heart and Spade are already ruled out. So if Diamond is telling the truth, then Clover is defeated and also ruled out, so it's automatic that Diamond is the winner. (Conversely, if Clover is correct, then by the stated claim Clover is the winner.)
  • Spade mentioning losing at the very end sounds like Spade should be second place.
  • Since Heart has to be somewhere in the middle, this makes Heart third place.
  • Diamond beat Heart, so the only available spot for Diamond at this point is first place, and Clover gets the remaining fourth place.
This bookshelf was actually in left-to-right order; you can see the crown shape on the leftmost space to indicate the winner.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Re: A Rose in the Twilight - Double Knock Out

Post by Kleetus »

Rose has thorn powers, and the the Giant is covered in thorns as well. I've been thinking, what if Rose (perhaps unknowingly) is an agent of Thorns and the Giant has been sent to aid her in her nefarious mission. Things have been complicated by Rose's look a like; I'm going to call her Violet until further notice. One of these girls has to be an imposter sent to sow discord. Brilliant plan if you're an all consuming force of darkness; corrupt the princess, dispose the princess, replace the princess, watch the profits roll in. As a bonus, little girls are usually beneath suspicion.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: A Rose in the Twilight - Eternity

Post by ano0maly »

This clock tower level is cool. I wonder why you're still missing thorn research diary 8 though.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Re: A Rose in the Twilight - Loving memory

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

For a bit of perspective, while I certainly wouldn't dispute that Rose II got a decidedly crap deal in life as a result of events completely beyond her control, she also did kind of kill large numbers of people, and showed no remorse for this action, only the desire to kill yet another person whose only crime was, by chance, not suffering the same fate as she did. I would also be hesitant to use the "lashing out" explanation, for while that might explain the initial crumbling of the dungeon (whether the victims further up are linked to this same incident or later acts on her part is unclear), it certainly does not account for the multiple, deliberate and decidedly planned attempts to murder Rose, which apparently stop not out of coming to her senses or anything of that sort, but simply out of fear that her attempted murder victim is not only more murder resistant than she had initially counted on, but also able to turn some of her murder tricks against her. Now, she is a child, and it's further suggested that the thorn curse may ultimately rob you of your senses (if that's how we are to understand the comments about the librarian and other "variants"), which is important to take in to account here, but when making moral evaluations of the characters in our narrative, I would also advise against falling in to the trap of "Well, shucks, murder doesn't really count if you're cute and have a tragic backstory!"
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

oh

*puts the saw back away*
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

I like to imagine that raiding the castle kitchen was the sole reason Rose returned to the castle. Poor girl hasn't eaten for the entire game.
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

the boss battle reminds me a lot of《a boy and his blob》...really neato; though at the same times you can kinda feel that the mechanics werent tailored for like insta·death combat encounter—nevertheless i still just really love the design of this game🎔₊˚*
ImageImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: A Rose in the Twilight - Morden Fireglow

Post by ano0maly »

For that last puzzle in Path to Abyss 1, I don't know if the spiral golem can throw the caterpillar midair while being flung by the catapult, but if that doesn't work, maybe you could pick up that block you crossed over and place it somewhere to make it easier for the caterpillar to get up there.

I wonder if there was something to the left of the mushrooms.

This game has a very nice soundtrack. Two of the tracks include vocals:

"blood of blanc"

that's the name of the other girl with the rose

"ruin of rose"

thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: A Rose in the Twilight - Blaze

Post by thatguyif »

Any chance you'll get the remainder of the Viola notes? I get the impression getting them all is critical to a good ending or something

Also I'm assuming what we saw at the end of today's vid is Viola

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

Without knowing where they are exactly, man.
Wymar *did* post them in the comments and I pinned them on yesterday's video if you want to read them
raocow

Post by raocow »

also bob the opening post is *amazing*
I don't thank people enough for the work they put in threads
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago also bob the opening post is *amazing*
pfffft thank you but it's really basic stuff! I wanted to do more, but phpBB is fairly limited and I also didn't want to completely destroy the usability of the list :lol:
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: A Rose in the Twilight - Hope for Humanity

Post by ano0maly »

One problem is that this game is obscure enough that it's somewhat difficult to look up information about it - at least, it would take some dedicated effort to find info, like a list of collection items or a set of organized explanations for the characters. I've been following the whole LP and I still wasn't sure about how the characters and the story piece together. I'm glad someone in the comments of the final video posted an apparent summary:
Evil vampire threatens kingdom. Stone giant defeats it, and both are locked up in a basement. The vampire didn't die though, and spread thorns that would collect blood for it and cursed a princess, Viola, making it so she'd automatically drain blood from her surroundings meant to feed the vampire (this is what Rose realized in the first ending). The "religious organization" deem her a monster for this, and after her father dies of illness, they torture her lover or brother (only really referred to as "him") to death. Then, during her execution, they decide to display his mutilated body to her to further rub salt in the wounds.
Obviously things go to crap here, as Viola proceeds to kill everyone with the thorns, and locks herself in with the vampire. Although, it seems she ended up draining it instead. The coffin is again sealed under the castle. And many years later, she spreads the thorns in much the same way, similarly cursing Rose's sister, who gets locked up and same as Viola, decides to take revenge on everyone (with the subtle manipulation of a vampiric bat...) when seeing Rose roaming free from within her jail cell some years later.
I did feel that the game had a bit more potential to its mechanics than were utilized (although some made a return in the Abyss rooms), but what we got in the game was a really worthwhile experience. I'm glad I watched it.