(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
11clock

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by 11clock »

Approaching the end of DKC2 and am on world 6. Nitpick time! Some of it is retreading and elaborating on previous thoughts.

There were two levels that I thought were just... bad. There was this level with an angler fish that was this confusing mess of an underwater maze where you couldn't see anything and the angler fish tries to blind you every time he turns. I heard that the VC version patched out the flash, but I didn't like the locked 4:3 aspect ratio and muddier looking colors (I tried the Wii U VC version). There was also this minecart level with switches that would have been a pretty cool level if it wasn't for the jumping from minecart to minecart bits that completely kill your momentum when you jump out of the vehicle, which led to some very cheap deaths. The racing version of that level was pretty rad though. Rest of the levels have been very good (except an issue with the swamp levels where I find it hard to tell what is ground and what is a bottomless pit and commit a lot of accidental suicides).

Kreeper Krow is my current favorite boss in the game. I loved that we switched between battling him and chasing him while getting shot at by eggs. But it and the King Zing Sting boss have made it clear to me what my biggest issue with DKC2 is. The game is a bit rough around the edges, and when I say that I mean the literal edges of the camera.

The camera is too zoomed in. I know it is the same zoom as DKC1, but the levels being more elaborate is making the issue more apparent. I tend to get killed by stuff I couldn't see. I have even had a point where enemies respawned on top of me because I looked right, which made the camera pan right, then looked back left which made it pan left and oops the enemies behind me respawned yay.

My previous critiques on the animal buddies and kremcoins have been alleviated. The levels that are specifically designed around the animal buddies have shown me that they are actually pretty interesting characters, highlight being the spider level Web Woods; it made me lose like almost all of my lives but I would be lying if I said that the level wasn't cool, and I liked that it subtlety trained you for the boss fight with Kreeper Krow right afterwards. As for the kremcoins, I discovered that you keep them when you die or exit the level, so it shouldn't be as painful to collect them as I originally figured.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Mastered Squire as Ramza and Knox (one of my generics). Gonna aim to get all my generics + Ramza mastering Squire and Chemist for now.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I've been tempted to buy Luigi's Mansion 3 but I'm like "I've never even played the first 2 games so why would I buy this" so today I downloaded I mean bought Luigi's Mansion and I'm playing through that. I got as far as the multi boo boss thing before dying and I figured I'd take a break there.
11clock

Post by 11clock »

Oh boy, guess what I am going to start playing tomorrow.

Nast

Post by Nast »

ImageImage

HGHAAAHHHhhhh
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Picked up Superdimension Neptune vs. Sega Hard Girls from the Humble Bundle, though I haven't been playing it half as much as I'd like due to sleep issues. Seems pretty interesting though and the setting of this alternate continuity is a nice change of pace even if they're reusing maps from the other games. (Virtua Forest is identical to the Virtua Forest used in multiple other franchise entries.)
11clock wrote: 4 years agoOh boy, guess what I am going to start playing tomorrow.

Seems like a strange choice in controller for SMW.
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I beat Chain Link Chamber in DKC2. This level... it's honestly "This is why the camera in DKC2 kind of sucks: The Level." It's filled to the brim with stuff you get hit by simply because you couldn't see them coming. Chain Link Chamber is a level of pure trial and error, and it would actually be a really cool level if the sprites in the game didn't take up 20% of the screen.

The elevator level before this one also frustrated me, but it was because I thought that the porcupines were nigh indestructible like the hornets. I didn't know that you could roll into them until I googled it. After learning that, it was a good level.

I think that World 6 in general honestly suffers the most from the really large sprites and zoomed in camera. So many levels that I really want to like but can't because they are hard not because of the actual platforming but because I can't see 2 feet around me. DKC1 was never like this in even its hardest levels, because the levels are actually designed with the camera in mind. DKC2 is mostly designed around the camera as well, but I feel that it sometimes slips up here and there.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Windy Well is a pretty cool level and very creative uses of the wind mechanic. Probably the only level I haven't had any issues with in World 6 (although the elevator level was actually my fault).
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I ended up finishing Luigi's Mansion last night. I didn't have anything to do yesterday so I got through the game in 2 sittings.
I caught 47/50 boos and don't know where the hell the 3 I missed are because I did a final walkthrough of every room in the mansion before going to fight the final boss and the gameboy never went off in any rooms. I did apparently find all the optional ghost portraits though. There was also a door I never found a key to that was just a shortcut on the first floor leading to the stairs to floor 2, so I had to go through the backyard every time I wanted to go upstairs.

I think this game has one of the biggest gaps between how fun it is to play versus how fun it is to watch. Cause I had definitely seen people playing this game quite a bit over the years, but it never really made me want to play it myself. But once I got into it I understood why people like it. Catching ghosts is satisfying, there's some fun puzzles to solve, and the game doesn't hold your hand too much, sometimes just kicking you out to explore the whole mansion to try and find what to do next without any hints. It's also a pretty nice looking game even by today's standards, it's pretty crazy that it's nearly 20 years old at this point. The whole game is really unique feeling, it feels much more like a passion project from someone who wanted to try something different than factory produced Mario Game #284. I might go through the NG+ at some point, or I might just hop straight into Dark Moon.
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I beat DKC2. Overall, great game, just has an occasional "Mega Man" moment here and there due to not keeping the camera in mind in certain sections. The bosses were definitely the main highlight for me. All of them but King Zing Sting were enjoyable. The level design was really solid other than the 3 levels I complained about earlier. Diddy and Dixie were overall a fun duo to control, just kind of wished that roll and run didn't share the same button like how it was in DKC1, but also like in DKC1 it was never a major issue. I didn't like the animal buddies at first, but they grew on me over time.

Game was pretty short so I think that I will go for the post game content.
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I beat World 1 in Ring Fit Adventure.

So far my thoughts are that I hate myself.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Decided to hop into Dark Moon last night. It's been decently fun so far, though (so far) it's missing some of the stuff I really liked from the first game. For one thing it seems to have almost completely dropped any aspects of actual horror. Yes, the first Luigi's Mansion was an E-rated game for kids, but it's also a legitimately creepy game! The short little cutscene of Luigi hesitantly reaching for the doorknob and slowly opening it is straight out of horror cinema. You're in darkness through a lot of the game. The ghosts seem to be actual dead people who have a past and are trying to live out their lives as they were before despite being dead. I'm not sure if Dark Moon will get into any of that as the game goes on, but in the couple hours I've played so far it hasn't. And I know for a fact that they dropped the ball on the door opening cutscenes. They even made the keys disappear once Luigi unlocks a door with them, like we needed an explanation for keys being 1-time use. It was those little touches that I enjoyed in the first LM and they're a bit absent here.

I also can't say I'm a huge fan of the mission structure. There isn't a real reason I need to be pulled out of the mansion every time I accomplish the current task, just so I can hear more dialogue and then get kicked back to the entrance again. It unnecessarily grinds the game flow to a halt every once in a while, and I'd just like to stay where I was.

But with those negatives out of the way, there are things I like about it. It's a nice looking game for one thing, though the framerate does seem to struggle. I was playing with 3D for the first bit just to see what it looked like, and once I went back to 2D I realized it's higher with that off so now I'm keeping it in 2D mode. Wrangling ghosts is still fun, and the flashlight burst thing you do to stun ghosts in this game is satisfying to use.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Jesus christ apparently when you die in this game you have to redo the entire mission which is really annoying when you've been doing a bunch of exploring and sucking up every bit of money you can find. And when the levels require you to slowly carry buckets of water across rooms. That's... very annoying

Just lost probably 30 minutes of progress because I died to a boss at what I assume was the very end of the mission
11clock

Post by 11clock »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Jesus christ apparently when you die in this game you have to redo the entire mission which is really annoying when you've been doing a bunch of exploring and sucking up every bit of money you can find. And when the levels require you to slowly carry buckets of water across rooms. That's... very annoying

Just lost probably 30 minutes of progress because I died to a boss at what I assume was the very end of the mission
I have only ever died like... once in this game. I think it was to a miniboss in the graveyard of the second mansion, which is honestly a bit of a difficulty spike.

Oh there is also the boss of the fourth mansion which kind of sucks.

To be fair it isn't that hard to get back to where you were. Most of the game is puzzle solving which you can do quickly when you know the solution.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

11clock wrote: 4 years agoI have only ever died like... once in this game. I think it was to a miniboss in the graveyard of the second mansion, which is honestly a bit of a difficulty spike.
Yup that's the exact one that killed me haha

As soon as you start reeling one of the ghosts in, one of the others will fly at you from 10 feet away and knock a whopping 20HP off per hit! Not to mention they throw a crow in there to deal chip damage every once in a while. I believe it was the crow that dealt the final blow to me.
11clock

Post by 11clock »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago
11clock wrote: 4 years agoI have only ever died like... once in this game. I think it was to a miniboss in the graveyard of the second mansion, which is honestly a bit of a difficulty spike.
Yup that's the exact one that killed me haha

As soon as you start reeling one of the ghosts in, one of the others will fly at you from 10 feet away and knock a whopping 20HP off per hit! Not to mention they throw a crow in there to deal chip damage every once in a while. I believe it was the crow that dealt the final blow to me.
To deal with this boss, you can push B to do a dodge maneuver. Time this to avoid damage. This is easily the hardest miniboss in the game, but manageable when you get the dodge timing right.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Thanks, I'll give that a shot next time!

For all the text this game makes you read, it'd be nice if dodging was something they mentioned.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I got the newest Humble Monthly so I've been playing SoulCalibur VI and Yakuza Kiwami lately.
SC6: it's better than SC5. That's not really saying much though because 5 (other than its character creator) was real meh. I really wish Bamco would remove the equipment conflict thing. It is seriously very annoying and extremely restrictive. I was glad to see actual single player modes again though I wish for something like Chronicles of the Sword. It'd be great if they brought back the SC3 Create a Soul voices because they're hilarious and I love em. I know that would never happen.
Yakuza: I have wanted to try this series for a long time but I never knew which one to start with. Looks like Humble decided for me. I haven't really played a ton of it yet but there sure are a lot of cutscenes. The graphics are really pretty though. I imagine the PS2 original doesn't even begin to compare visually but I would still be interested in playing it someday.
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Finished Luigi's Mansion 3. Excellent game; I like it just as much as the first one, which I like a lot. Pretty much combines the best of LM1 and LM:DM, and adds even more personality on top of that. Had a blast!
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I finished my first week with Ring Fit. I am already feeling a little better and my sleep appears to be improving.

The game is surprisingly good. It is genuinely fun while distracting me from my sore muscles (for better or for worse, I ended up pulling something in my left arm) with a bunch of loud satisfying sound effects and motivational quotes. The combat system is essentially Mario RPG styled combat but action commands and defending are done via exercises. The actual gameplay depth starts extremely shallow but it gets deeper as you progress. I just finished World 2 of 23 and it just introduced type weaknesses and consumable items. I heard that a skill tree comes up later.

Motion controls are extremely accurate and impressive, but there is only so much of your body that Ring Fit can detect with only one pair of Joy Cons, so your body posture is largely assumed. Only a personal trainer would be able to correct your posture tbh. The leg strap is a little finnicky as well. Ring Fit expects you to make gradual motions when jogging in place, so suddenly stopping or breaking into a sprint will confuse the game and take a second to register your change of pace. For the main game this is perfectly fine, but it makes one of the mini games (Dreadmill) nigh unplayable,

If you like Mario RPG styled combat and want to get into exercise, this is an easy recommendation. Just have some self control when playing and don't try to exploit the lack of full body sensors.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

got & started New Super Lucky's Tale, 3D platformer type ordeal. so far it's solid but not especially impressive - plays & controls fine enough but the levels feel small and shallow a lot of them time & the game overall is looking like it's gonna be fairly short. it's fun but it's not $40 worth of fun, i don't think
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I started the post-game of DKC2. It's nice to have some new levels to play, but the actual process of unlocking them I am not having much fun with. The kremcoins are in some ways even worse than star coins in NSMB when it comes to finding them, but at least the bonus challenges are kind of fun and you don't have to beat the entire level in order to cache the kremcoins in. It would be nice if the game told me how many kremcoins are in each level, or if I already found all of them while playing the level, rather than just in the map screen only. Also, exclamation point is the only means to tell you that you collected all of the kremcoins? That is unnecessarily cryptic, unless the game tells you in the manual or something (which I don't have).

So far the post-game in DKC2 is just reminding me why I never complete platformers. I love them to death, but when it comes to 100% completion it's almost never worth it. I would say just stick with the main game and don't bother with the post-game stuff. For just $8 on VC the game provides a nice 3-4 hours of gameplay, and it's a really fun A tier platformer better than most Mario games I have played (although my least favorite DKC game I have played so far overall, should say something about the quality of the series that my least favorite one is still really good).
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Man, this mission in Superdimension Neptune vs. Sega Hard Girls was obnoxious as hell. One of the game's mechanics is that each map has a baseball and a bunch of medallions to collect. This map was rather chaotic and fairly large but the real issue was finding all the medallions. There were two places where like 20-30 of them were on a random climbable wall that you had no reason to suspect were climbable. After carefully searching the entire map multiple times, which was tedious in itself because enemies respawn very quickly after you kill them, I finally found one of them on a random wall in the middle of the map where it led nowhere. And for whatever reason it was a large climbable wall with a grid of 20-30 medallions which took far longer to collect than they should have. And then the next one was behind the mission end event which can be difficult to avoid and was similar to the previous one. A random wall that led nowhere with a grid of 20-30 medallions. Entire map took me like 45-50 minutes because of that. (That and the fact the medallions blended in really well with the floor and walls so they were hard to even see.)
rena
type 2 invested entity
First name: cat
Pronouns: spider
https://rena.talkhaus.com/

Post by rena »

i just got pistol whip and its fun as shit

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1079800/Pistol_Whip/

otherwise ive been playing 6 million hours of beat saber
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I started to play Legend of Bum-Bo. Gameplay-wise the game is pretty fun, but it also follows the trend with games from Edmund being released in half-finished states. Wait for patches before getting the game.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

Entered Hard mode on my Terraria Expert world, I'm being whooped and I don't like it ;-;
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!