(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
11clock

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by 11clock »

I am still not sure why I have not played Donkey Kong Country 2 yet. It is widely considered the best 2D platformer ever made. I loved Returns, I loved Tropical Freeze, I loved DKC1, I loved Impossible Lair to the point of it becoming my favorite game of all time. Why do I still not feel liking playing DKC2!?

Please convince me!
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Just play it
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

11clock wrote: 4 years ago I am still not sure why I have not played Donkey Kong Country 2 yet. It is widely considered the best 2D platformer ever made. I loved Returns, I loved Tropical Freeze, I loved DKC1, I loved Impossible Lair to the point of it becoming my favorite game of all time. Why do I still not feel liking playing DKC2!?

Please convince me!
It's probably the best platformer on the SNES. Shout outs to Yoshi's Island and the Goemon quadrilogy (less so Yukihime/LotMN)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I've been into the Persona series of late - I'm currently playing Persona 4 (in-game date 6/23). I've also picked up FFTA again on my 3ds, for bathroom breaks (I forgot how slow grinding can get in it, especially when you're balancing 16 characters).
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Play it now!

Post by Awoo »

11clock wrote: 4 years ago I am still not sure why I have not played Donkey Kong Country 2 yet. It is widely considered the best 2D platformer ever made. I loved Returns, I loved Tropical Freeze, I loved DKC1, I loved Impossible Lair to the point of it becoming my favorite game of all time. Why do I still not feel liking playing DKC2!?

Please convince me!
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

It's a very good game. I think it's a little blah in the marsh and haunted levels, but it's the best mix of platforming and gimmick levels the series probably has. Go play it.

I haven't played much of anything that isn't mobile since beating River City, but I do have a few games on the computer that I should get to.
Nast

Post by Nast »

Finally completed Mario 3D World after an entire month. I could've gotten through it much quicker but I appreciated it more this way.

Just started Rhythm Heaven on DS, up to Remix 1. I love this series, I've played Fever and Megamix and love them both. Problem is after playing Megamix, which mostly reuses older content, I'm worried about how much new stuff I'll experience going back. I'm four minigames in and only one was new to me so yeah.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Been playing MO: Astray. Really neat puzzle-platformer with excellent pixel art and atmosphere and a pretty nifty story so far too. Up to the end of chapter 2, it looks like there are 5 in total so it's not super long, but.

Kinda heavy on gore and horror elements though but the gore is at least all pixelated as heck.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I have been playing Wandersong. It’s a pretty chill game and unlike anything I played before. If you are looking for something to just unwind to and want something that seamlessly integrates interactive gameplay with a deep narrative, it’s an easy recommendation.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat Sonic Mania Plus, normal ending. Might try to go for all the emeralds later on.

Overall a really strong game, and the amount of callbacks are impressive. This is gonna be a really good way to cap All The Sonics (without counting Forces and TSR). Later stages were a bit too long, but the original games were guilty of this too. A side effect of having S3&K quality level design.

My one issue is that I wish it had a few more original stages instead of just being Generations 2 + a few extras. I also felt that the special stages were a bit too hard too, rationing rings whilst increasing speed just felt more annoying than anything. I'd say they're up there with the Advance 1&2 stuff in terms of being more of a pain than they should, even if I'm good at those.

Nothing will surpass racing Johnny though in terms of crap special stages.
I love the lo-fi PS1/Saturn presentation, but the special stages are kind of a blemish on an otherwise 10/10 game.

Even then, this is pure gold. rao is gonna love this one.
Image Image
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Returned to Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure after my sudden and apparent inability to do action commands in TTYD (which was extremely frustrating. I'd love to believe it's just Dolphin/my controller acting up but I don't think that's the case). Just about to go get the Earthstone and after that, I think I don't have a ton of game left unless the dungeons actually become actually a thing to navigate. Seems like a short game. According to the in-game timer I've only been playing for about 7 hours. Also, the game is extremely easy. With zero effort, my level became double the enemies' so I just one-shot them. The music is nice though and the English singing actually is pretty okay.
11clock

Post by 11clock »

Started to play DKC2 and beat the first world. Game is pretty fun so far, but is it just me or are some of these jumps impossible without Dixie's helicopter glide thing? There was this one particular part in the last level before the boss fight where there were two bees blocking a horizontal rope, and the bee on top was high enough to where you either need to damage boost it or helicopter over it as Dixie.

Not sure if I am missing something.

EDIT: Also wasn't a big fan of the rope nets in world 1. You feel so slow and clunky when moving on them and barely have enough time to react to some things.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Made it to Chapter 8 (last one hype) in Shining Force. Will continue later, kind of tuckered out rn

Zylo's my highest leveled unit. My furry is showing again. Five battles left.

11clock wrote: 4 years ago Started to play DKC2 and beat the first world. Game is pretty fun so far, but is it just me or are some of these jumps impossible without Dixie's helicopter glide thing? There was this one particular part in the last level before the boss fight where there were two bees blocking a horizontal rope, and the bee on top was high enough to where you either need to damage boost it or helicopter over it as Dixie.

You can just barely make it if you go real close

Pardon the death, I'm a clumsy bitch and I wanted to show off by jumping back and forth.
This game's tough, you'll get used to the physics as you go along.
Image Image
11clock

Post by 11clock »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago Made it to Chapter 8 (last one hype) in Shining Force. Will continue later, kind of tuckered out rn

Zylo's my highest leveled unit. My furry is showing again. Five battles left.

11clock wrote: 4 years ago Started to play DKC2 and beat the first world. Game is pretty fun so far, but is it just me or are some of these jumps impossible without Dixie's helicopter glide thing? There was this one particular part in the last level before the boss fight where there were two bees blocking a horizontal rope, and the bee on top was high enough to where you either need to damage boost it or helicopter over it as Dixie.

You can just barely make it if you go real close

Pardon the death, I'm a clumsy bitch and I wanted to show off by jumping back and forth.
This game's tough, you'll get used to the physics as you go along.
You appear to be moving much faster and able to jump further than I was. I was literally right next to the bee and still couldn’t make the jump. And the bees right under the ropes are already just barely possible and really tight jumps.

I also watched raocow’s video of him playing the level and he seems to be climbing the ropes at like twice the speed as I was able to.

...Does this game have a run button?
Nast

Post by Nast »

I'm almost done with Rhythm Heaven, just gotta get Perfect on three more games - but I almost want to give up because Rhythm Rally 2 is just the worst thing ever. It's bad enough that it's repetitive, it's also way too long and repeats after the first half with no changes, so you're playing the same game twice essentially. Couple that with finnicky flick controls and it's a chore, at least if you're trying for Perfect like me.

That aside, overall I'm into it. Maybe not my favorite installment, but the touch controls give it a distinct feel. Also Love Lizards <3
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

11clock wrote: 4 years ago...Does this game have a run button?
Roll is also run.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I finished Rhapsody the other day. I had like an hour left of navigating boring dungeons. I actually sort of had to try with the final boss but still was really easy. I am interested in playing the sequels but considering they are Japanese only, probably would be a while if ever before I even started.
Back to TTYD, flying through the game. I'm on Chapter 3 but will soon be on Chapter 4. I decided that when I finish I will finally start Trails in the Sky SC because I now have The 3rd so I can just cruise through the remaining parts of Sky then I can figure out how I'm going to obtain and play Zero and Ao.
11clock

Post by 11clock »

Started DKC2 over now that I was reminded of about the run ability (haven't played DKC1 since January this year, and Impossible lair didn't have a run button in favor of a "Mode 2" roll).

I am having a lot of fun with the game. I stopped after Glimmer's Galleon, which honestly sucked and gave me a huge headache. it was hard to see anything yet it hurt my eyes at the same time because of the flash when the angler fish rotates. My eyes are pretty sensitive to that kind of thing.

Rest of the game has been pretty great though. Hard to say if I am liking it more than DKC1. There was this simplicity to DKC1 that I really liked that I feel is kind of missing in DKC2. Are the plethora of animal buddies in DKC2 really necessary? So far they have all felt gimmicky and not very fun. Also, even though I see the same amount of screen space as DKC1, the small screen space bothers me in DKC2 and makes me wish that I could see more around me. Maybe it's because of the more vertical level design. I feel myself often getting hit by something I couldn't see coming. That said, there are some surprisingly creative levels that are overall fun to play through (with the one noted exception), and the bosses are very good. I like how each one has two phases to change things up, and are FAR better from DKC1's bosses to the point where it's not even funny.

I absolutely hate that DKC2 now has a collectible that you need to grab every single one of in order to access all of the final levels. I am usually fine with a collectible if I only need to collect "enough" of them (Rayman Legends, Impossible Lair), but having to search for literally all of them aggravates me. I probably won't bother with the extra levels as a result and stick with the normal ending.

ATM I would rank DKC2 slightly below DKC1 in terms of my personal enjoyment (maybe same level as Super Mario World, which would be in my A tier), and DKC1 (S tier) I rank below Impossible Lair (which I also classify as S tier and is my claimed "favorite game of all time").

(Oh noes, I have an unpopular opinion! I said DKC2 is worse than DKC1! Time to pack my bags!)

EDIT: Another note. I like the characters in DKC2, they feel more balanced than DKC1.

Diddy - Very acrobatic, has a good cartwheel attack that can also make for really impressive jumps off cliffs.
Dixie - The "I'm not dealing with that s--- lol" character. Great for beating certain sections of levels in ways that the developers clearly didn't intend.

EDIT 2: I am aware that DKC1 also had animal buddies, but they didn't feel as prevalent as in DKC2.
Last edited by 11clock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat Shining Force 1!

Overall, I still prefer Arc the Lad 2, but for its time it's a really fuckin good SRPG. Not having dynamic party sizes - keeping it always as 12 when you have a full party with no choice of choosing fewer units just to speed grinding up - is a bit of a pain.

Story is a bit too simple, but the localization wasn't very good so I don't blame the story all that much. Challenge level is rather balanced. I leveled everyone to Promoted!Lv10 (promoted around level 10 though, not 20) and up and even with all those stat ups it still felt hard at the end, but it's nothing proper strategizing couldn't fix.

I didn't get everyone to join my party (e.g. Kokichi, Jogurt, Musashi, Hanzou) but I seem to have gotten most of them?
Image Image
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I reached the level where you turn into a rattlesnake in DKC2. I may withdraw my earlier critique on the animal buddies because this level showed me that they may have more potential than I originally anticipated.

I really like that the boss fights are pretty challenging. The sword and gray klubba gave me some trouble.

EDIT: Entering world 4 with I believe around 30 lives. This is way more than what I had in DKC1. The game practically barfs lives on you. I am using savestates but only to properly save my lives and banana coins after saving in kong kollege (as if I am leaving the game on and returning later). Still playing the game legit otherwise.

EDIT 2: I may have sounded too harsh in terms of my earlier criticisms. I do think that DKC2 is a great game. It's just that when you compare a great game to another great game, you kind of have to exaggerate the small issues in order to properly rank one above the other. Literally none of my points of critique are major game-breaking issues, just small things that I would have preferred if they were done in a different manner.
11clock

Post by 11clock »

Bramble Scramble was a really cool level. I was expecting it to be a brutal difficulty spike given all that I have heard about it, surprised I only died once during it. But yeah, favorite level in the game now.

EDIT: I noticed that you keep kremcoins even when you die. So maybe they won't be so bad to collect now.
Crow

Post by Crow »

NastCF wrote: 4 years ago I'm almost done with Rhythm Heaven, just gotta get Perfect on three more games - but I almost want to give up because Rhythm Rally 2 is just the worst thing ever. It's bad enough that it's repetitive, it's also way too long and repeats after the first half with no changes, so you're playing the same game twice essentially. Couple that with finnicky flick controls and it's a chore, at least if you're trying for Perfect like me.

That aside, overall I'm into it. Maybe not my favorite installment, but the touch controls give it a distinct feel. Also Love Lizards <3
this is the only one i've played extensively and rhythm rally is in general the worst thing about this game. it's just completely screwed up in a way i don't understand. when i replayed this a while back i got perfects in every game except rhythm rally 2 and remix 8 (which is, for all intents and purposes, just rhythm rally 2.5) and i know rhythm rally 2 was my last perfect when i did 100% the game the first time

i should get back to playing the wii one or check out the 3DS one sometime, i think
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Been playing FF Tactics. It's pretty good but I'm mostly focusing on grinding JP for now.

NastCF wrote: 4 years ago Rhythm Heaven
https://twitter.com/David_Mismo/status/ ... 2068641792
Image Image
Nast

Post by Nast »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago this is the only one i've played extensively and rhythm rally is in general the worst thing about this game. it's just completely screwed up in a way i don't understand. when i replayed this a while back i got perfects in every game except rhythm rally 2 and remix 8 (which is, for all intents and purposes, just rhythm rally 2.5) and i know rhythm rally 2 was my last perfect when i did 100% the game the first time

i should get back to playing the wii one or check out the 3DS one sometime, i think
No kidding? Those two are the exact same games I'm stuck on right now. I'm actually kinda relieved to know someone shares my pain, haha. Much respect to you for having 100%'d it before
What freaky amalgam is this
Crow

Post by Crow »

it sucks because remix 8 has one of the coolest songs & the intensity towards the end is incredibly but of course it's built around the worst minigame in the series (i refuse to believe there's a worse one on any of the games i haven't played) so that ruins the whole thing