(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: All The S@nics & Knockles - 3&K - Angel Island Zone

Post by Awoo »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago honestly going per zone has been pretty fun so I'm kinda wondering about making that regular going forward
like with the 3D games that doesn't change anything but there are a lot of 2D games left with multiple acts per zones and stuff, right
Yes! Quite a few, though, specifically I couldn't really tell you how many.

Glad to hear you're having fun :rao:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Re: All The S@nics & Knockles - 3&K - Angel

Post by Bean »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago honestly going per zone has been pretty fun so I'm kinda wondering about making that regular going forward
like with the 3D games that doesn't change anything but there are a lot of 2D games left with multiple acts per zones and stuff, right
I guess it depends on how long a stage takes for you. The Game Gear stuff and 3D Blast could go either way, though Chaotix should 100% be split up since that game works odd.

With Sonic's side of 3 & Knuckles, it made sense because it felt like every act was taking you close to the time limit since you were exploring for the big rings.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

The biggest outliers I can think of off the top of my head are Sonic Advance 2 & 3 because of the way they handle special stages (almost definitely multiple cleanup episodes, Advance 2 in particular has the worst Special Stage method in the franchise history) Tails' Adventure and the Boom 3DS games because they're closer to metroidvanias, TA in particular, and maaaaaaaaybe Rush Adventure.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

So basically, it looks like post-Mushroom Hill Act 1, if you have Chaos Emeralds left to get, you have to return to Mushroom Hill Act 1 after you get them all. Then, it triggers the ceremony for the remaining Emeralds to become Super Emeralds. This requires a reset. However, the game auto-saves everything at the beginning of each Zone, including life and continue counters, so it's not a painful reset. What they mean by "Knuckles Can Go To Hidden Palace" is that.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Also, there is a point to getting all the Super Emeralds...and not just a different ending.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

I wonder if anyone will provide savefiles or savestates for raocow so he can see the 0-6 emerald endings.

I always kinda liked how Knuckles' 0-6 ending, as it seems to be a lead-in to what could've been

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I think familiarity and the snappier pace is helping you here. When we enter the third dimension for real, things are gonna get trickier. Something like Generations with its 9 levels and 2 acts per level can run fairly high, especially with the Missions as well. For games structured like that (when the missions are required), I'd probably recommend doing the Act 1 and Act 2 separately, given the size of the levels and your collecting habits

(gotta get those Red Star Rings!)

, then the missions for that level the next day, and so on.
TehRealSalt
ring racers programmer
First name: sally
Pronouns: she/her

Post by TehRealSalt »

Going to Mushroom Hill's forced Hidden Palace entrance basically makes you "deposit" all of your collected Chaos Emeralds. They're literally converted into Super Emeralds there, so that's why you can't turn Super Knuckles -- you technically don't have 7 Chaos Emeralds anymore, you have 6 unfinished Super Emeralds and 1 Chaos Emerald, and next time you go to Hidden Palace you'll have 7 unfinished Super Emeralds.

It's a bit weird, but it's to make it so that you don't have any kind of Super form in the second half right away, as if you were playing Sonic & Knuckles alone.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

I like that touch, because it adds to the challenge of the game. For such a long game (of the time) when combined, it's not hard to get all the emeralds before the end of the first "half" of the story, and it would otherwise make the rest of the game a gentle breeze.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'm surprised how well this works
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
TehRealSalt
ring racers programmer
First name: sally

Post by TehRealSalt »

Fun fact, Knuckles' playthrough was originally meant to skip Flying Battery Zone, until the game was split in half and it was moved to the S&K half. Lots of things point to this, such as FBZ having the least Knuckles routes, the little Eggman identity mix-up, and the rest of Knuckles story generally being devoid of the "bigger" Eggman influences like it.

The weird portal stringing Carnival Night & Ice Cap was meant to be an explanation for skipping it, since Flying Battery was originally between them.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

robotnik was just passing by until you jumped on his battery, knuckles you're officially being a jerk to innocents
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Damn Eggman, back at it again with the spinning robot.
ImageImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago Damn Eggman, back at it again with the spinning robot.
It still looks incredibly phallic, too.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

TehRealSalt wrote: 4 years ago Fun fact, Knuckles' playthrough was originally meant to skip Flying Battery Zone, until the game was split in half and it was moved to the S&K half. Lots of things point to this, such as FBZ having the least Knuckles routes, the little Eggman identity mix-up, and the rest of Knuckles story generally being devoid of the "bigger" Eggman influences like it.

The weird portal stringing Carnival Night & Ice Cap was meant to be an explanation for skipping it, since Flying Battery was originally between them.
That's fascinating. I had no idea!
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

after faving that Touhou soundfont remix, I was recommended a few Touhou soundfont remixes of other classic Sonic stages, alongside this gem, which I found works well on several levels:

yea, Flying Battery goes well with pretty much everything
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

that sounds
surprisingly OK
video games
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

if we're posting remixes

and for the hell of it, the from the official soundtrack
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

flying battery is a boring zone. this is the most negative sonic opinion i have i think
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

"Take off your hat. It's the law"- raocow

I'm so tempted to say this at work...
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Six eyes? I always saw the golem as having a gorilla face.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

Seeing the Mega Man X soundfont version of Flying Battery reminded me of this hack in particular.

[yt][/yt]
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

I like how one of the comments was asking if people will ever find the limits to romhacking
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Okay my headcanon for Flying Battery is that basically while Eggrobo is carrying out the E3 Plan (also my headcanon), Eggman just happens to be flying the Flying Battery next to the island for completely incidental reasons, and Knuckles jumped onto it and ran through the whole ship and beat Eggman up even though it had nothing to do with his story. And Eggman's baffled by the whole thing but they both just move on from it.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.