(shouting)

Iconoclasts - I can't believe it. Humans are so flaky. I knew I should have asked the tengu about this instead.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
strongbadman

Re: Iconoclasts - Well, hello, I didn't think we'd stumble across someone like you...

Post by strongbadman »

As you've noticed, interactions can go a little differently depending on what you say to people. If you do let Royal come with you after he dispatches the Silver Watchman, he does indeed splorch out of you to talk about the machine. And obviously, since he's already with you he doesn't ask to accompany you a second time.

Another one is when Mina leaves to rescue samba, you can actually catch up to her before she reaches blockrock and offer to go with her. It's a neat little detail!
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Iconoclasts - Well, hello, I didn't think we'd stumble across someone like you...

Post by Crow »

is it time to start keeping track of named characters who've died?
yes.

~ RIP ~
Agent Grey (???)
Polro (Pre-Game) (???)
Henetta (Penance)
Ella (Penance)
Agent White (Seeds)
Gerrie (Fell to his death)
The Silver Watchman (Drowned? Implied death at least)

did i miss anyone, i don't think so but with this game who knows
Last edited by Crow 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Iconoclasts - All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

Post by Awoo »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago is it time to start keeping track of named characters who've died?
yes.

~ RIP ~
Polro (Pre-Game) (???)
Henetta (Penance)
Ella (Penance)
Agent White (Seeds)

So say we all.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago is it time to start keeping track of named characters who've died?
yes.

~ RIP ~
Polro (Pre-Game) (???)
Henetta (Penance)
Ella (Penance)
Agent White (Seeds)

Grey died before the game started.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

robin died a few times but I guess it wasn't canon
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: Iconoclasts - I don't think she knows what troublesome company she's taking up...

Post by Kilgamayan »

Death list added to OP because I find it tremendously amusing. I also added Grey and Mrs. Anders to it (EDIT: And Robin too because it *has* happened a number of times).
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: Iconoclasts - I don't think she knows what troublesome company she's taking up...

Post by thatguyif »

So we never really go into the differences between Harder Mode and Normal mode. This video kind of showcases it a bit.

Harder Mode adds a few things here and there to make things more annoying for you, and hits are far more painful. In the Dark Cave, we see this in the flashing blue squishy things. They're bullet sponges, and hurt, despite being stationary. In the boss fight, the shockwave attack has the added feature of those bouncing bullet things, which are more annoying to dodge. The lights in the final stage of the fight also go out much faster than they do in Normal mode.

And here, Royal truly shows how he's the worst! From what I interpreted, the samurai dude was basically showing respect for saving his life just before he got ceiling dropped. Royal throughout this episode shows how out of touch he is with anyone but himself, the way he speaks to you, the way he sort of discusses the Transcender, etc. These scenes are kind of what pushed me away from him, since the gilded life he's lived makes him incapable of connecting in a meaningful manner to anyone, even when he wants to. Like, we know what's trying to do in terms of trying to join Robin's adventure, but the way he says it unintentional sounds like he's just trying to use her.

And it gets worse from here.

Interesting to note: While the game doesn't quite say it, the Statues are likely of what the note (and, implicitly, Royal) referred to as Father. Given the Triangle symbol on the statues, it seems likely.

Something that the game never really notes that you should keep in mind while exploring (and since you asked): When you find treasure chests that are locked, the key for them will always be in the same screen/room as the chest. You cannot carry the key from another screen. Same goes for any treasure chest with a light bulb lock, the power generator will be in the same screen/room.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

WRT the spongy things: a missile will kill them in one hit, but a lot of them are set up to be difficult to do that. I never knew harder mode actually added stuff, I jut thought it was flat damage increases.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago
yes.

~ RIP ~
Polro (Pre-Game) (???)
Henetta (Penance)
Ella (Penance)
Agent White (Seeds)

Grey died before the game started.

yeah true i was just saving that one for when it happened on-screen, but i mean valid

raocow wrote: 4 years ago robin died a few times but I guess it wasn't canon
Mina has as well, in at least one of the instances she was playable
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Scientists baffled at man's ability to fuck up every single time.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

God I love love LOVE this boss and this boss music. The harsh mechanical percussipn just makes it, amd it ends up bwing one of my favprite bosses purely because of that.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Ah, this fight. Quite a thing. And yeah, those sponges are definitely not in Normal Mode. Harder Mode also added a couple enemies to that fight on the ascent phase.

And yeah, Myron sounds like he's onto something when the talks about the machine.

Like this planet isn't actually Earth (like raocow said) but an artificial planet. It's also interesting that the Controllers that formed the Penance were basically designed from this machine to some degree.

Also, Royal is still being Royal.

A quick reminder: I would suggest that the next time you encounter a warp, you take the opportunity to explore and cover some sidequests, as well as try out your new abilities in areas you've already been in. It would be a good break from linear play.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Man, every character in this game is so good. I fucking love Royal and his dipshittery so much.

Also, I'm particularly glad to be watching this in this moment because Myron's dialogue makes a lot more sense when there's no gameplay pressure on me and I can read and parse it properly.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Iconoclasts - ... I know you can hear me, it's me.

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I just love the frenetic energy of the boat fight. It conveys in gameplay alone that pure "FROM HELL'S HEART, I STAB AT THEE" energy of a mad captain finally getting within range of his whale, while also fitting together into the narrative with the Spines and the giant terraformer and the characters talking. Fortunately for Myron, despite being a clear Ahab here, he had a Robin to hand instead of a harpoon.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

I'd like to know why that bit was spoiler'd. That bit is not actually revealed in the game, merely implied. There's no reveal saying that statement.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow

Post by Crow »

that's not what it means for something to be a spoiler. it works the other way around. knowledge that isn't or hasn't yet been presented to the player is a spoiler.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: Iconoclasts - Let me tell you straight up...You'd better leave.

Post by Kilgamayan »

Yeah, anything about the game that hasn't happened on camera should be put behind spoiler tags.

Anyway, the Side Quest list has been updated in the OP.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Re: Iconoclasts - Let me tell you straight up...You'd better leave.

Post by Grounder »

samuel tangauy IS joker
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: Iconoclasts - Awww, my optical camouflage suit broke!

Post by Kilgamayan »

Ash is a mega fun encounter once you figure out what's going on, and the game is even fair about it by specifically highlighting "strength" and "stealth" in his explanation speech. Kudos to you on quickly figuring out that Mina has to hide in water - the game spends hours making jokes about how bad she smells for a reason. 8-)

I admit I had been waffling back and forth about providing a (spoilered) Missed Items list once you were deep enough into the end game. However, given the map keeps track of the completion percentage for each individual section of the world, I have since concluded that I don't really think one is necessary, because you can always tell if there's at least one thing left undiscovered in any given area, and the map system highlights screens with items with those square icons. I feel like any advice beyond that is simply telling how to solve the puzzles, and that's no fun at all. At that point we might as well just shove a prewritten online guide in your e-face and call it a day.

I suppose I cannot stop anyone else from doing it, though.

Finally, as always, the OP has been updated with the side quest list.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

I really didn't like this fight when playing, it's way too slow and the playstyle expected goes against everything else you do in the game. Plus it's not very well indicated what to do at first, and even once you do understand you just sit around in the same corner the whole fight until he decides to come your way. It's definitely my least favourite boss.
Crow

Post by Crow »

about time to update the death list, innit?

Polro (Pre-Game) (???)
Agent Grey (Pre-Game) (Juice)
Mrs. Anders (Pre-Game) (Penance)
Henetta (Penance)
Ella (Penance)
Agent White (Seeds)
The Silver Watchman (Drowned)

Grey's death is particularly graphic and I love it.
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

On today's episode of Iconoclasts, Elro reminds us that he is the worst.

I actually love Elro as a character specifically because of how much I HATE Elro. He's genuinely well used in that he's an insufferable asshole who selfishly endangers everyone around him while trying to take a moral highground and insisting that he's "just trying to protect his family" but he repeatedly pays the consequences for that shitty behavior. Literally the only thing Mina and Agent Black agree on in the entire game is maiming Elro, which should tell you all you need to know about Elro.

strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Yeah I just wanna echo all of that. I love Elro, he sucks so much.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Let's give it everything we've got! IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT'S PUNISHMENT TIME!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Iconoclasts - de-minimis

Post by Awoo »

Binary liquids are certainly a thing, most epoxies and several drain cleaners are like that. Heck, even one of the refrigerants that I use at my job is technically a "blended refrigerant", so it's kind of a binary liquid.
Refrigerants are frickin' weird, man.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image