(shouting)

Iconoclasts - I can't believe it. Humans are so flaky. I knew I should have asked the tengu about this instead.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Iconoclasts - If you start saying that, then everyone's a believer in *something*.

Post by Crow »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago There is a little bit more to my thread gimmick than that, to be fair!

My favorite part of the today's video was the half-progression through the wall tunnel at 16:15, followed by immediately turning around and leaving for no reason and never going back there again, not even during the search for where to go next near the end of the video. Splendifferous.
that's the way he got into the right half in the first place. they remove the laser cannon in the room for the miniboss fight. he does go back through it later
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: Iconoclasts - If you start saying that, then everyone's a believer in *something*.

Post by Kilgamayan »

Oh whoops you're right I got my locations mixed up

(Easy to do in the Tower)
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
bbbrrr_it_cold
Always ambivalent, always lurking...
First name: Quagsire

Re: Iconoclasts - Yah, an earth spider! We'll tear you to pieces!

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago (And at this point I'm ready to say "Screw leet" and just post it unspoiled.)
Hey, so, can we please not super rudely call out singular specific people about this? Especially considering there's a world of difference between posting the text of a conversation that raocow missed and unsubtly hinting at/implying things that the game will show you at its own pace...
I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
I have a youtube (currently only with stream highlights): (Don't watch it)
I have a twitter (where I say just about nothing): (Don't follow it)
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Iconoclasts - "Hey, it's that dog!" - Leon S. Kennedy

Post by Awoo »

FINALLY caught up on these videos. Super worth it, though, dang it, it took a while.

5 10+hour manual labor work days will do that to you

wyldstrykr wrote: 4 years ago i found the original:

i can see why the author replace it since it can offend someone with that. also black reaction makes sense in the original since shes a girl which i only know because talkhaus and raocow video comment... i beat the game without even realiZing that black is a girl... kek
To play devil's advocate, the original text *does* make them much more villainous, and, they *are* the villains. What they're saying is horrible, but, keep in mind, they are horrible people, so it's fitting.
I can totally see why it was changed, though. No need to be *too* rude, especially in a video game.

Anyone else remember that weird post-apocalyptic anime from like 15 years ago, Wolf's Rain? This game has some similar vibes to it, if nothing else than the Mother character kind of reminding me of

Lady Jaguara

and I can only imagine that the

one city where Penance isn't a thing is like Lady Jaguara's big city from the penultimate episodes of Wolf's Rain

Could just be a coincidence, but it's still neat to think about.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: Iconoclasts - "Hey, it's that dog!" - Leon S. Kennedy

Post by Kilgamayan »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago To play devil's advocate, the original text *does* make them much more villainous, and, they *are* the villains. What they're saying is horrible, but, keep in mind, they are horrible people, so it's fitting.
I can totally see why it was changed, though. No need to be *too* rude, especially in a video game.

They're definitely antagonists, but I would be harder pressed to call them "villains". (I would be rather hard-pressed to call anyone in this game a "villain" outside of perhaps Mother - honestly, Elro fits the description better than a good number of the antagonists.) I think they're more stupid misguided kids that got swept up in a religious wave by the most charismatic leader people have seen in quite a long time.

Having the super nasty dialogue also doesn't quite gel with the various silly main- and side-conversations you see these grunts having throughout the course of the game. It's much easier to find their zany antics amusing when they're laughing uproariously at dad jokes than the objectification of women.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Yep, that sure was a public execution. I don't think it was necessarily supposed to be that, judging from the mild surprise of the showmen, but I suppose it works out for them. Considering it ultimately keeps Gerrie from talking, and instills fear in the other denizens of the tower from ever leaving.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: Iconoclasts - You stink like some beast worse than a tanuki!

Post by Kilgamayan »

Kilgamayan in the AtMM thread wrote: 5 years ago RIP Gerry (2007-2007)
Update: RIP Gerrie (2018-2018)

I like the new wrench color.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Iconoclasts is a cute indie metroidvania game released in the year 2018 :)
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Leet wrote:Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha
Says the person who derailed a thread because they were so bothered with spoilers

Anyway, I wouldn't call it a public execution so much as repentance by suicide. The kid was so broken by the "interrogation" (read: being shot by that thing) that he lost the will to live. It's a pretty cruel way to die (going headfirst to snap your own neck, eugh), but it's probably the best way to do that in the context of the institution in question (since that note on the Silver Watchman indicated they were not keen on using direct violence to instill discipline and order).

In any case, you got the electric hamburger! That has many uses, as you have kindly demonstrated. Some places have already shown a potential use! I like how the symbol for it is the wrench holding the bomb like a hamburger :D

Now, regarding the re-written dialogue: I'm ambivalent. I get Konjak's intent in using this dialogue, intentionally making them as chauvinistic as possible to push the heel angle hard. At the same time, what replaced it wasn't bad, and Black's reaction makes sense in either case, if you know anything about

her condition

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

ahhgosh⁛. that was dark 🕱 like theres a sad visceral reaction to gerries resolve there—it makes me feel so uncomfortable and i think that is the right response‿and the grim part is there were and are actual crowds out there that will roar with entertainment at self-abnegations like this... it hurts.
ImageImage
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Peliptia wrote: 4 years ago ahhgosh⁛. that was dark 🕱 like theres a sad visceral reaction to gerries resolve there—it makes me feel so uncomfortable and i think that is the right response‿and the grim part is there were and are actual crowds out there that will roar with entertainment at self-abnegations like this... it hurts.
Well it's important to remember the way it's framed is not as entertainment but as a means to instill fear. The crowd is filled with shock and revulsion at the situation, which is precisely the point. There is not meant to be joy felt in this.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago
Leet wrote:Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha
Says the person who derailed a thread because they were so bothered with spoilers
I have no fucking clue what you're talking about or what I did to you. Like, nice job calling me out on saying "hahaha", it's such an incredibly provocative and insulting statement. I'm clearly a huge hypocrite for saying that

Fuck this site my dudes
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Well it's important to remember the way it's framed is not as entertainment but as a means to instill fear. The crowd is filled with shock and revulsion at the situation, which is precisely the point. There is not meant to be joy felt in this.
ahh thats⁓ thats true ⃨ i definitely got that wrong. thats very very true (*´ -`*)
ImageImage
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

It's fine. The writing gets weird and confusing sometimes. I still don't get what Black meant just before White's fight about the "big secret" in the room they were in. And I've played through it twice!
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Iconoclasts - You stink worse than my cat's litter box!

Post by Awoo »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago It's fine. The writing gets weird and confusing sometimes. I still don't get what Black meant just before White's fight about the "big secret" in the room they were in. And I've played through it twice!
Abandoned plot thread? It happens, i dounno nyoro~n

Shame my crescent wrenches aren't anywhere near as impressive or useful as Robin's. Truth be told I only use two for my work, and they're both probably galvanized but they don't spark when I spin them :ehh:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Advent Azure
Cursed Background Character
First name: Dr. Borg

Post by Advent Azure »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago
thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago It's fine. The writing gets weird and confusing sometimes. I still don't get what Black meant just before White's fight about the "big secret" in the room they were in. And I've played through it twice!
Abandoned plot thread? It happens, i dounno nyoro~n

Shame my crescent wrenches aren't anywhere near as impressive or useful as Robin's. Truth be told I only use two for my work, and they're both probably galvanized but they don't spark when I spin them :ehh:
There is an actual secret that Black is fully in the know about for reasons that make complete sense. It's never given attention though, beyond a simple note. There's a lot of tidbits about this game that are brought up in some way, but it's on you the player to piece it all together.

That secret black is referring to about that one room is exactly that. I can bring this up after we advance the game further to further clarify what that is all about after we get past that point.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: Iconoclasts - Well, hello, I didn't think we'd stumble across someone like you...

Post by Kilgamayan »

Poor Agent Black. All she wants to do is shoot people. :(

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Advent Azure wrote: 4 years ago That secret black is referring to about that one room is exactly that. I can bring this up after we advance the game further to further clarify what that is all about after we get past that point.
Well...if it's about the fact that

it's a colony ship

, I don't really count that as "big." Mina basically implied as much when the room was introduced. Unless you mean

there's more than one

, in which case I'm not sure that's "big" either. This might be another case of Konjak's writing not emphasizing key points when necessary. Like, honestly, much as I yelled at the screen for raocow skipping the recent scene, it seems really odd that Polro's cause of death lacks the gravitas it should have. It's almost a throwaway line in a completely skippable cutscene, even though that line is so damn important to the foundation of the story.

Anyway...today was fun. This is where the game takes a BIG turn, plot-wise. We start see the foundation of the whole story truly develop at this point: The planet dying, Black having a big vendetta with Elro, Black having problems in general, Mina and Samba, the tensions between the Bastion and the One Concern...oh boy, the fun we'll have.

That said, I didn't realize the significance of

that soldier Black was talking to

until now. I just connected the dots.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Iconoclasts - Secret of Evermore

Post by Awoo »

So, that's the Ivory Tower.

Where's the Ebon Keep?

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
strongbadman

Re: Iconoclasts - Well, hello, I didn't think we'd stumble across someone like you...

Post by strongbadman »

Oh god damnit it really was an ivory tower
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Agent Black and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day

also some other guy gets shot and dismembered that probably sucks too
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote:Sorry if I'm buttoning through this too fast, I'm just going through at the speed I read.
You know there's a really good solution for that. Since people all read at different speeds you could just read it out loud. Then everyone, including those who are just listening to the video, will actually know what's being said without having to constantly rewind because they were halfway through a dialogue box when you decided to go forward.

This is honestly one of the most infuriating parts of watching dialogue-heavy games like this and the Distorted Travesty series. You're either forced to speed read everything, not giving enough time to parse what's happening, pause/rewind constantly to do it yourself which is tedious as hell, or just not give a shit about the story which is dumb in a story-heavy game.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

I've taken to simply pausing the video and reading it myself before resuming it if I really want to read any particular text box. :V

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years agoSays the person who derailed a thread because they were so bothered with spoilers
Leet's not the one reporting you. Quit being so openly hostile, or you can take a time out.