(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Re: All The SOUPER S@nics - 3&K - Invincible

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Someone needs to make a fan comic of the universe where Sonic eats bees all day long but isn't immune to their stings.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Man, those electric coil things aren't very fun to look at on a big screen

Death Egg is definitely a rough zone in this game! That part where you have to hit the buttons in the weird gravity chamber was another segment that stumped me as a child. Didn't even realize the things on that middle object were buttons, or that it wasn't just an obstacle. Or that, uh, it would have anything to do with getting out of the room. Children are clever, but they also often aren't smart.

The boss is way easier when you take your time and you aren't jumping at it as fast as possible like I do and spreading needles everywhere. Standing on a platform while it spins crazy is fun.

By the way: hilariously, Sonic 2 is not the only time when Death Egg is basically just a few rooms. There's one game where it's even smaller!
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

n~yoron Spinball Never Ends nyoro~n

raocow, i'm not watching tomorrow's video if you can't promise me one more gambling session for old times' sake
Last edited by Crow 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I feel like "boss surrounded by circling orbs" is an archetype that should be being counted too
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago I feel like "boss surrounded by circling orbs" is an archetype that should be being counted too
Alright, I believe we're up to 6 now then! Metropolis Robotnik, Hydrocity midboss, Icecap midboss, Launch Base midboss, Metal Sonic, and Death Egg midboss. 7 if you count launch base robotnik, but that's only a singular orb
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 4 years ago Despite several requests that the name be changed, as it is rather unkind to refer to something linked to the condition known as Holoprosencephaly, which can result in severe brain, skull and facial defects as 'Sonic Hedgehog', the name persists to this day.
gotta speed keed
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Crow

Post by Crow »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 4 years ago Sonic Team put out an internal poll for Death Egg Zone's gravity control, asking whether or not Sonic should still press down to crouch while on the ceiling.
woan spoilers i didn't know there was a gravity gimmick in death egg
Nast

Post by Nast »

That weird gravity shaft with the buttons always gives me anxiety to this day, because too often after hitting the last button Sonic's bounced back so fast that he clips through the walls and dies.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Level Facts!

It is possible, if the Master Laser fires during the rising portion of the Great Eggman Robo's step forward, for Sonic to duck and avoid it.

Any other time results in Sonic eating a Master Laser for his last meal.
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

and with a weird whistling noise, sonic disproves something i was 100% sure of
Crow

Post by Crow »

My reaction to today's video:

"Wait, I didn't know you could dodge the laser just by standing around."

"Oh, no, it's just inconsistent because Reasons."

also wow that super aggro kill of the big robo haha, speedrunners would be proud
Nast

Post by Nast »

Regarding the first boss, as well as what raocow was doing you can also spin dash into those spikey things when they're flipped to fling them at the robot. Not that that makes it a good boss or anything.

Good to know that raocow destroyed the fingers the correct way
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

I'm gonna consider the Super Sonic ending as the canon ending, as both Sonic R and Mania have that egg-robo dude, and of course, Sonic is known for being a series that takes canon very seriously.

I think the "pit" the series went into in the 2000s is a bit overstated- There was no more Sonic mania for sure (until Sonic Mania came out, anyway), and many games were pretty shoddy, but as we have seen in this thread, many people have expressed love for many titles during this time. I'm personally really looking forward to the Riders games, which begs the question, will raocow be playing Free Riders?
ImageImage
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Ah, Doomsday Zone. A stage that would set the standard for mainline Sonic game final bosses for decades to come. An improvement over Sonic 2/Sonic 3 Standalone's final boss fights, at least.
Nast

Post by Nast »

I love the concept of this boss, especially as it was actually novel for the series at the time, but the execution is pretty jank.

Though I think the reason raocow struggled so much in the last phase, is that he was always focusing on moving forward towards Eggman, even as he was about to run out of rings. It would've been safer to lay low in the back, focus on getting rings until he had enough, then continue. Also worth noting that you can dash continuously to catch up with Eggman much quicker, and I'm pretty sure you can also dash backwards which would have helped with getting rings.

I definitely agree this is the peak of the series, but yeah there's plenty of games down the line that I have lots of appreciation for, even if just for nostalgia. Then again I'm one of those weirdos that actually likes Sonic Heroes so I wouldn't call myself an authority on this lol

...I just thought about this, is Blue Spheres on the list??
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

Sonic 3 and Knuckles was a huge success for SEGA, selling over four million copies between both releases. While a little disheartening after the bonkers success of Sonic 2, it was still enough to keep the Sonic train rolling, and more importantly, Sega wanted to create the next "big" Sonic game, but this time it would be supported by a whole host of spinoffs to back it up. While games like Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island, and G Sonic were being done in other areas of Sega, Sega Technical Institute's American team received the big assignment - to create the true successor to Sonic & Knuckles.

This assignment, ordered to surpass the heights achieved by Sonic & Knuckles, would span three systems, multiple engine changes, and lead directly to STIs complete and total destruction.
moogy

Post by moogy »

The peak of the series is SA2 and I won't hear otherwise.

tbh I think all of the Genesis/Megadrive Sonic games are pretty bad, and the Sonic Advance series is a lot better on the whole, so raocow hasn't even reached the peak of the 2D games, if you ask me. No need to worry about it being "all downhill from here" or whatever.
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

So here's a sonic fact!

I have a lanyard I saw for sale at a county fair a few years ago. I bought it for the sheer absurdity of it's existence. I need to know how the board meeting went, where President Lanyard said "Everyone, we've got the rights to use Sonic the Hedgehog characters on a lanyard, and I need design ideas. What 3 iconic characters can we put on this lanyard to increase sales?"

I imagine an intern saying "Um, how about Sonic, Tails, Kunckles?" and getting shot down. Then, a senior member of Lanyard Co. speaking up with his amazing suggestion...."Look, we all know there's only one iconic trio in the sonic series. We need Sonic himself, his close ally Blaze the Cat, and of course, his young, always loyal sidekick....Charmy Bee. His thing is dishing out first sting, after all. These three characters are always appearing together, it's really the only option"

"Perfect!", I imagine President Lanyard saying, resulting in this existing. I love it.
Crow

Post by Crow »

moogy wrote: 4 years ago The peak of the series is SA2 and I won't hear otherwise.

tbh I think all of the Genesis/Megadrive Sonic games are pretty bad, and the Sonic Advance series is a lot better on the whole, so raocow hasn't even reached the peak of the 2D games, if you ask me. No need to worry about it being "all downhill from here" or whatever.
agreed, advance 2 is the best sonic game :rao:

now that this piece of crap is out of the way it's all uphill from here
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

raocow: oh hey you can press jump to boost forward!
me: oh, good! now that he knows that, he won't get stuck on the last phase! tonight will be an easy video! :partygator:

anyway sonic 3 is my favorite game of all time, bless its soul. i never liked the "downhill from here" mentality because it implies a game's "goodness" is its only virtue. plenty of fun to come!
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

it boggles my mind that there are four years between sonic 3 and sonic adventure, and yet also, there's an entire console that they skip over. i'm sure that makes more sense to people who were actually alive at the time, and who aren't like me, remembering SA as a mid-aughts game on the gamecube, but to me it's like hearing the fax machine was invented in the 1840s.

there definitely are enjoyable games, and even actually good games beyond this point, but for about 25 years of game development, with the ludicrous quantity of games being developed per year even at this point, you'd really expect more. and so many of the better ones come with caveats! as a comparison, keep in mind how few bad mario games there are.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

i feel like you're gonna take the effort do get all the super emeralds anyway, you should show off the good ending as well. there's more differences that just the stinger i believe.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

"I know some people think this is the peak of the series, and it's all downhill from here. But I don't agree! [a couple minutes later] Anyway sega kept trying to reach this height again and never did"

huaaahhh
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

there can be good games even if things trend downwards!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

the big thing to keep in mind is that:
while it's true that the quality is going to be a rollercoaster, the Sonic series from this point onwards is going to become divisive, simply due to how many things it will try to do
some games are gonna be really good at what they're going for, but the shift in appeal will drive away fans of older games
video games