(shouting)

COMING UP NEXT now w/ BUCKET.TXT

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: COMING UP NEXT

Post by raocow »

I've done contests in the past when I was offered a zip file with all the games pre-patched and ready to go, so I'm not opposed to keep doing contests that way if someone is willing to put in the work
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

"[big scale mario collaboration project] will come out in [year]"

Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: COMING UP NEXT...maybe

Post by Awoo »

Almost seems like traditional romhacking is dead, and Mario Maker 2 is the box they're going to bury it in :ehh:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Ah, Crash 1 next? Good, that might give me some time to replay at least part of Iconoclasts to remember where stuff is <_<
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Re: COMING UP NEXT...maybe

Post by Gardenolva »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago Almost seems like traditional romhacking is dead, and Mario Maker 2 is the box they're going to bury it in :ehh:
Meh. There were some parts of SMM2 that were intetesting to make and it's not as complex to make as romhacks. But something beyond the border of creativity that romhacks have cannot be beaten or comprehended by SMM2.
This is my personal opinion but I feel that romhacks would impress me more than a level in Super Mario Maker 2.

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

In my humble, not-very-notable opinion, there's a place for both ROMhacking and Mario Maker and anyone who thinks one invalidates the other (in either direction) is being rather closed-minded about the matter.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

So, out of curiosity, has "Mario 64 hack to be determined" been...determined yet? I don't know anything about Super "Mario" World 2, but SM63 seems nearly done, and based on how the first two DKCs went I can't imagine DKC3 taking more than around 2 weeks so it seems like raocow might want to make a decision if he hasn't yet.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 4 years agoI don't know anything about Super "Mario" World 2,
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a ... s&id=10252

It's an old hack circa 2012 that got second place in in an informal talkhaus poll about six years ago.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago I've done contests in the past when I was offered a zip file with all the games pre-patched and ready to go, so I'm not opposed to keep doing contests that way if someone is willing to put in the work
If you're still interested in this, I have all of VLDC11 pre-patched and in a randomized order excluding the top 10 that I've been using for my own LP purposes. If you'd rather have them in placement order, all I'd have to do is change some filenames to organize them that way. Let me know if you're interested in playing VLDC11 like this and I can supply what you need.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

sure yeah send it over. I think I'd be okay with having the proper order this time if it's not too much work.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Is VLDC11 getting played before 10 o_O
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
raocow

Post by raocow »

wouldn't be the first time contest playing order got weird

I don't think anybody ever sent me the whole vldc10 pack which is why it just kinda skated by
Leet

Post by Leet »

do we really need TWO more LPs of 100 boring vanilla levels aldjfjdf

ignore me raocow play whatever you want i will watch it all either way
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i was trying not to say anything but i agree

at least keep it to the top 25 or smth
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I'm gonna be honest those repeated vldcs are some of the most boring lps for me and I stopped keeping up with them a long ago

I think I lost interest since vanilla 2010
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

I barely watch any SMW LPs anymore if I'm gonna be honest. And never the vanilla ones :P
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i would watch repeated playthroughs of vip1-6 + aspe + yeah + jumphalf など until the end of time personally (hyperbole)

echoing the doubts @ smwcp2. i dont see that thing taking off ever. falconpunch is apparently better at yelling at people to get things done but i feel it's gonna come out rather eh either way
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

I did watch jumphalf yeah, which was very entertaining
The ones that are just "one-man vaguely chocolate SMW hack #682" or "middling contest level pack" got old for me a looong time ago though
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
raocow

Post by raocow »

I mean, I respect that but I do want to play them and see what is going on. I've made peace with the fact that nothing I do will make everyone happy a long long time ago.
Leet

Post by Leet »

The last time i said that one person hacks tended to be boring people thought i was crazy but honestly. they can be super samey (mostly western smwc ones, mind, but that's most of the ones we would end up seeing in the past). the kind of hacks lion listed are classics of lp/game though. even "bad" collabs like SMWCP1 are pretty fun to watch imo. but contests do not feel the same to me at all. i guess collabs give the illusion of structure and cohesion enough that the incohesiveness becomes interesting, while contests lack that invisible context... (takes a drag)

i can believe that smwcp2 could be finished, but dates have always been so meaningless that it's wack that people would even try to give one at this point. these things will NEVER come out on time, why would you even want to make a promise like that

and yeah raocow it's fine, i don't dislike watching it. i just don't really understand the rationale of like "is 11 getting played before 10?" as if this giant pack of vanilla levels is gonna be that much different than the other giant pack, maybe there's something i'm not seeing
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I tend to really love watching the vanilla contests, personally. A lot of entries tend to use vanilla stuff in pretty creative ways I never would've thought of, and most of the levels end up being lightweight fun which is nice to have every now and then. I always like hearing raocow's thoughts on contest levels in general, too.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

If its the full thing I'll just not watch it. Not out of boycott, but just out of disinterest. Play it if you want @rao
I'm not following a lot of AtS (joined back for 3&K) and Iconoclasts (indie games don't grab me as much in LPs, i'd prefer to play them myself).

I'll catch fire for this like I did on SMWC but, the thing about SMW being "uninteresting", is that a lot of hacks are made by people that are only interested in the level design aspect and not any other bit, usually children and young teens, which is why they're all samey and do nothing but use the same 20 resources in slightly different ways. The accessibility of Lunar Magic and SMWCentral opened the floodgates, resulting in Sturgeon's Law, essencially.

Compare it to something like RPGMaker. If you remove all the unfun bits of gamedev and make it just adding bits and pieces together, a lot of things will start to look alike and just blend together. Once you add original assets, your own custom assets, music, graphics, your own enemies and so on, it starts to become fresh and interesting. Sure it can still be lackluster despite all of that, see Brutal Mario, but it'll still be memorable. Would Yume Nikki, Off, Toilet in Wonderland, Space Funeral... Would they be memorable if they used nothing but stock graphics and music?

LM also stifles a bit of ASM-related creativity as well as missing out on a lot of knowledge we could obtain from studying SMW's jank code by focusing on hacking with binaries and being a black box of which "no code shall be disassembled/open source", rather than using disassemblies and level editing tools to read .mwls for editing and such, but that is a subject for a place like SNESLab, or SMWC, if they feel like ever prodding that subject again (had a bad time last time I tried).

Collabs and one-man hacks like YEAH or FreedoMN are seen as "special" because they go the extra effort to create their own graphics, music, code, etc. In collabs' case, because they actually have people who are interested and have the ability to work in those areas. Even the better vanilla hacks have people who are able to modify the original graphics to make the game look new.

Sure, level design is the meat of a game, but the "flavor" of a game matters too. Consider graphics, music, custom sprites and the like as sort of spices for the meat. Without spices, the meat's flavor can be bland and forgettable, unless its normal flavoring carries it well enough (Rise to the Challenge, Return to Dinosaur Land...). With proper spice usage (e.g. not Brutal, not just tossing resources haphazardly in an attempt to look different), it can elevate the tastes so much higher.

I know it's impossible for Everyone to just decide to pick up art, music and programming just to make a Mario hack, even if I feel picking up new creative hobbies is always good, you don't have to be good at something to have fun with a hobby. carol himself wasn't exactly good at programming! But in the end, that's why a lot of people (not everyone) just aren't into most SMW hacks anymore. They've stagnated.

also extra gay bullshit down here:
Leet wrote: 4 years ago the kind of hacks lion listed
Leet wrote: 4 years ago lion

i,M am....,,,,,,, liom???!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!❤️
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: COMING UP NEXT-

Post by Awoo »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago I mean, I respect that but I do want to play them and see what is going on. I've made peace with the fact that nothing I do will make everyone happy a long long time ago.
We (or at least me) will support you either way. Keep being the best, raoman! :rao:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I love contests because to me it's super interesting to see a ton of different people take a prompt and make something. You get to see a huge variety of level design ideas and methodologies in quick succession. I can't remember the last time I played a full SMW hack but they rarely appeal to me like bite-sized contest content.

It should go without saying since I was the one who offered the levels (and hosted and judged VLDC11) but I'm also looking forward to the playthrough. It will be neat to see how raocow's own thoughts compare and contrast to my own.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Well I'll watch the bottom 10 and the top 10, and maybe a smattering of levels in the middle. Average and mediocre levels just aren't that interesting to watch.