(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: All The SOUPER S@nics - 3&K - Invincible

Post by thatguyif »

Whimsical Calamari wrote: 4 years ago
Matt is me wrote: 4 years ago
Cyril wrote: 4 years ago rip doomsday zone unless raocow wants to dedicate an episode to grinding special stages or using level select
I'm kinda hoping he grinds it out. At the very least, I wanna see him experience all of them, and I'm fairly confident he hasn't yet. I haven't been keeping careful track, but I think there's at least 2 he never got to attempt.
Also feeling this. Like, Sonic 2's special stages were a Thing, as was getting to them. But here,

he's literally given a level select once he gets the Bad End.

So like, why not showcase that?
Ummm, guys, this was pointed out in the YouTube comments, but there's no need to grind it out. If you got the Chaos Emeralds in the Sonic 3 segment, you get access to the final level in the Knuckles segment. Getting the Super Emeralds only does two things that raocow doesn't need.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Fun fact: In the game's level select, Hidden Palace Zone is technically considered Lava Reef Zone Act 4 ("Act 3" being the auto-scroll section leading up to the boss fight against Robotnik's...lava submarine...thing).
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

oh hey on the topic of special stages i just remembered. assuming rao's going to play the genesis version of Sonic 3D Whichever, would it be possible to show off the first special stage from each of the other versions as a bonus video? All three major releases (Genesis, Saturn, Windows) have completely different Special Stages both design-wise and mechanically, so it's totally original content.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I'd love for him to get the Super Emeralds just to show

Hyper Sonic Hyper

but I'd be content without it.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Nast

Post by Nast »

There's a weird little easter egg in tomorrow's level, in case raocow wants to try it. Right near the start of the level,

after crossing the bridge tap down somewhere inbetween Knuckles and the purple pillars.

There's nothing too interesting in Hidden Palace gameplay-wise but it's such a neat little place. The Knuckles fight's kinda lame too. :c
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Ummm, guys, this was pointed out in the YouTube comments, but there's no need to grind it out. If you got the Chaos Emeralds in the Sonic 3 segment, you get access to the final level in the Knuckles segment. Getting the Super Emeralds only does two things that raocow doesn't need.
Again, I believe this isn't quite true. You only need the Chaos Emeralds to play the final level, but Sonic currently does not have those because they're in the HPZ.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Went and checked:

according to this, you can access Doomsday zone as Super Sonic if you don't have all the Super Emeralds.

HOWEVER
According to this, There is a different ending if you complete the game with all the Super Emeralds vs just having all the Chaos Emeralds.

So he can play Doomsday Zone this run, but he's locked himself out of the true good ending.

Worse case, there's a save editor for S&KC that I know works that can use to show off the true good ending (as as the no emeralds bad ending) if he wants when he gets to it.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Nast

Post by Nast »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago according to this, you can access Doomsday zone as Super Sonic if you don't have all the Super Emeralds.
I played through the whole game just now and I can confirm this. He'll be able to go to Doomsday Zone just fine.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago Went and checked:

according to this, you can access Doomsday zone as Super Sonic if you don't have all the Super Emeralds.

HOWEVER
According to this, There is a different ending if you complete the game with all the Super Emeralds vs just having all the Chaos Emeralds.

So he can play Doomsday Zone this run, but he's locked himself out of the true good ending.

Worse case, there's a save editor for S&KC that I know works that can use to show off the true good ending (as as the no emeralds bad ending) if he wants when he gets to it.
If I'm reading that right,

the "true" good ending is the same as the good ending, but without the additional scene of Egg-Robo waking up

- which, if raocow's past sensibilities have been anything to go by, he would actually prefer, because

it narratively dovetails into Knuckles' run through the game, which he'll be doing anyway.

thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago oh hey on the topic of special stages i just remembered. assuming rao's going to play the genesis version of Sonic 3D Whichever, would it be possible to show off the first special stage from each of the other versions as a bonus video? All three major releases (Genesis, Saturn, Windows) have completely different Special Stages both design-wise and mechanically, so it's totally original content.
While I would support showing one stage of the Saturn version and one special stage...is there even a way to get the Windows version? That's a super-obscure version you're referring to. The Windows 95 version is a port of the Saturn version, and that has never been re-released (the Steam version is a port of the Genesis version).
Leet wrote:
thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Ummm, guys, this was pointed out in the YouTube comments, but there's no need to grind it out. If you got the Chaos Emeralds in the Sonic 3 segment, you get access to the final level in the Knuckles segment. Getting the Super Emeralds only does two things that raocow doesn't need.
Again, I believe this isn't quite true. You only need the Chaos Emeralds to play the final level, but Sonic currently does not have those because they're in the HPZ.
No no no, I mean if you collected them all in Sonic 3, that counts. When you get to the transition area in Mushroom Hill Act 1, the game always takes away what Chaos Emeralds you got. That's not relevant to the end game situation.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago
Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago oh hey on the topic of special stages i just remembered. assuming rao's going to play the genesis version of Sonic 3D Whichever, would it be possible to show off the first special stage from each of the other versions as a bonus video? All three major releases (Genesis, Saturn, Windows) have completely different Special Stages both design-wise and mechanically, so it's totally original content.
While I would support showing one stage of the Saturn version and one special stage...is there even a way to get the Windows version? That's a super-obscure version you're referring to. The Windows 95 version is a port of the Saturn version, and that has never been re-released (the Steam version is a port of the Genesis version).
It's been uploaded to archive.org (even pre-patched with SEGAPC Reloaded). Just tested it and it works.

I'd link it but i dunno if that's piracy or not

edit: even though the fact that it's on archive.org should mean it's abandonware, i don't wanna risk things
Last edited by SAJewers 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago
thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago While I would support showing one stage of the Saturn version and one special stage...is there even a way to get the Windows version? That's a super-obscure version you're referring to. The Windows 95 version is a port of the Saturn version, and that has never been re-released (the Steam version is a port of the Genesis version).
It's been uploaded to archive.org (even pre-patched with SEGAPC Reloaded). Just tested it and it works.

Yeah I was gonna reply with "the same way rao is getting all the other games he's played so far" but this works too. Hope my old copy still works for playing along.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago
thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago

edit: even though the fact that it's on archive.org should mean it's abandonware, i don't wanna risk things
Honestly, if Sega was gonna pick a fight about it, they would've done so already.

Though that does beg the question: Why do a new PC port based on what was likely an inferior version of the game?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago edit: even though the fact that it's on archive.org should mean it's abandonware, i don't wanna risk things
I mean, the game's director even released a Directors' Cut version of the genesis game, so Sega seems to be pretty lax when it comes to non-intended Sonic 3D releases

That being said, I think having the Saturn/PC version played instead of the Genesis' one would be better. I know technically the game was made for the genesis and was released first, but they were both developed in tandem, and more Richard Jaques is always better in my opinion.
ImageImage
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Level Facts!

If the player finishes the stage with a shield power-up, they will notice that when Sonic leaps off the corkscrew, his sprite is just left suspended barely off screen, and half of his shield will remain visible in midair.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i'm wondering now, how are we gonna handle the games where the emeralds are required for the super bonus level? the advance games and rush games in particular all are Kind Of A Thing

and then god knows how sonic heroes and shadow are gonna even exist, lol
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 4 years ago Fun Level Facts!

If the player finishes the stage with a shield power-up, they will notice that when Sonic leaps off the corkscrew, his sprite is just left suspended barely off screen, and half of his shield will remain visible in midair.
what corkscrew STOP GAZING INTO THE FUTURE HERETIC
DinnerSonic
All the DinnerSonics
First name: Matthew
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by DinnerSonic »

All the Eggman's Wreckingball/Hammer things tally:
  • 2 Egg Mobile-H's
I really like the bouncy clouds in Sky Sanctuary, there's a satisfying mix of sound, sprite, and movement bounciness to them. Sky Sanctuary in general is pretty rad, kinda like the cooler younger brother to Launch Base Zone, and it too would probably make for a good final zone to a campaign with a few tweaks.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I always liked Mecha Sonic because he seemed so bulky and unlike the standard character designs of the series. It's actually only just now that I realize he's more humanoid than I always saw him as.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago I always liked Mecha Sonic because he seemed so bulky and unlike the standard character designs of the series. It's actually only just now that I realize he's more humanoid than I always saw him as.
Sonic movie design based on freaky humanoid Mecha Sonic proportions, actually the twist is that Sonic was a robot all along #whoa
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago
SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago edit: even though the fact that it's on archive.org should mean it's abandonware, i don't wanna risk things
I mean, the game's director even released a Directors' Cut version of the genesis game, so Sega seems to be pretty lax when it comes to non-intended Sonic 3D releases

That being said, I think having the Saturn/PC version played instead of the Genesis' one would be better. I know technically the game was made for the genesis and was released first, but they were both developed in tandem, and more Richard Jaques is always better in my opinion.
i'd agree with you on that except i recently discovered the entirety of redump is up there so i have no idea. i assume pretty much everything on archive.org is legal, but don't want to chance it since it is a rule here.

as for the saturn/pc version, you'd have to argue that with raocow
Cyril wrote: 4 years ago i'm wondering now, how are we gonna handle the games where the emeralds are required for the super bonus level? the advance games and rush games in particular all are Kind Of A Thing

and then god knows how sonic heroes and shadow are gonna even exist, lol
hopefully other people are playing along/ahead and can easily send save files over if/when he needs it
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

I mean archive.org has DS rom No-Intro sets in it as well so.

It's just a preservation effort, legality be damned.
Remember, legality won't bother with preserving anything as long as it doesn't give companies money.

Do you think Konami care about archiving Lagrange Point or Suikoden II for future generations? MGS HD and (blech) Silent Hill HD were both mostly commissioned by Konami as a quick way to get money.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

The way Sonic and the results screen lined up at the end, made me think that his eyes where bulging out of his head for a second.
Ats134.PNG
Ats134.PNG (14.7 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

Oh yeah, almost forgot: [insert reference to popular crossover flash animation here]
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

Sonic has been immortalized in genetic science, with a gene and the protein it codes for named after him, the 'Sonic Hedgehog' gene. But, this was not the result of some mad marketing stunt by SEGA, but because of a little girl's comic book.

The sonic hedgehog gene was one of a set of three genes all called hedgehog genes, due to their somewhat spiky appearance, discovered at a Harvard lab. Harvard's Cliff Tabin, professor of genetics and chair of their genetics department, whose lab was responsible for first cloning the sonic hedgehog gene, recounted that one of the lab's British post-docs, Robert Riddle, pulled the name out of a comic book that his daughter brought over from the U.K, this being just before Sonic the Hedgehog 1 was released in the USA. By serendipity alone, both the genetics paper and the game its name was from were published around the same time.

Despite several requests that the name be changed, as it is rather unkind to refer to something linked to the condition known as Holoprosencephaly, which can result in severe brain, skull and facial defects as 'Sonic Hedgehog', the name persists to this day.

Fun Level Facts!

Sonic Team put out an internal poll for Death Egg Zone's gravity control, asking whether or not Sonic should still press down to crouch while on the ceiling.

Over a hundred respondents later, pressing down to crouch barely won out.