(shouting)

Donkey Kong Country 3 - Unbelievable type of a situation

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
strongbadman

Re: Donkey Kong Country 3 - Welcome to Kanada!

Post by strongbadman »

I'm glad raocow says Parallel Parry's full name every time he comes up in gameplay
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I asked you to return to Blue because he deserves to be happy. :( Seeing him be happy was not to improve your game state, but to enrich your soul.

(Also I thought I remembered him having something slightly more meaningful to say than that)
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

¿When was the last time you played this game raocow? I play this game almost yearly & I don’t remember half o’ this bear stuff like the flower thing ( granted, I always procrastinate all the bear stuff till the end & oft don’t bother making it to the end… ).

“Ropey Rumpus”, despite having a stupid name ( nothing is particularly noisy in this level ), is a solid level that feels mo’ like a DKC2 level: it’s not a wild gimmick, but it has ’nough clever arrangements to keep it interesting through the level. Also, the focus on dodging bees makes Parallel Parry not feel thrown-in, & they actually make bringing Parry to the end meaningful this time.

Despite raocow’s frustration, I’ll defend the end bonus as fair & a perfect mesh o’ this level’s gimmick & the banana challenge. The tricky thing is just psychological: whenever there’s a timer, you always have the urge to rush, e’en though if you look @ the timer, you see you have plenty o’ time. The trick is to ignore the clock & be careful & wait to see where bananas will spawn & how to manoeuvrer round the bees ’stead o’ rushing through.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I haven't played this game for years and years man, I just have a weirdly accurate memory for extremely specific things
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

Oh hey I didn't know Spore Spawn visited the Northern Kremisphere from Planet Zebes.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Barbos is the best boss design in the game
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

strongbadman wrote: 4 years ago I'm glad raocow says Parallel Parry's full name every time he comes up in gameplay
The full name would be Parry the Parallel Bird.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

No it's Parallel Perry now
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I think the deal with Enguarde's name is that you're not actually saying the French phrase itself, "en garde" (used in fencing), but a name that was derived from it as a pun. So although this matter might not be a big deal, if you really want to get it correct, I still think that with pronunciation of Enguarde's name there can be more leniency (notice it's not even spelled quite the same). Whereas, if you were literally saying a French phrase found in a work of art, then perhaps it would be more appreciated to say it correctly.

Anyway Ropey Rompus. I thought a level full of bees would be really annoying, so when I played it I was pleasantly surprised at how fun it was. It just feels exciting to go over, around and between the buzzes.

And Kiddy just feels uncomfortable to play. The way he's so large and how he dips down so low when he's on ropes gives me the impression that he's more unwieldy, whether or not that's actually case. So either he has a large hitbox, or he doesn't but it's hard to gauge what his hitbox is. And his sprite looks as if he would have a longer delay getting on and off ropes. This is why I largely stick to Dixie unless I'm in a Kiddy-specific situation. What DKC2 did well was balancing the two characters - Dixie has the helicopter, but Diddy is more agile, so you don't want to be overly dependent on Dixie. DKC3 makes you want to depend on Dixie. (Kiddy does seem to throw barrels better, though.)
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

I really think the "Enguarde" thing is getting weird and kinda nitpicky towards raocow, personally. It's getting into making fun of people's accents territory.

Ropey Rumpus is cool level, I think. It just demands a lot of precision from the player that the game hasn't really asked for yet.
Leet

Post by Leet »

The thing about 'en garde' is that english speakers generally are aware of the phrase, and how to pronounce it. What raocow's saying about eng context makes sense, but this particular phrase exists in an english context as well.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Donkey Kong Country E3 - Welcome to Kwabek!

Post by Awoo »

I'd love to hear raocow speak more French in general, it's a pretty language and I don't hear it very much at all
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Xenesis
Syogun Changer

Post by Xenesis »

Fun fact, as an Australian kid I'd never seen the word en guarde, so I originally pronounced Enguarde as "Ohn-guhr-ade". It wasn't until I encountered french in High School that I realised I'd made a mockery of it :D
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

My young brain was like "it's spelled differently from en garde so it's not the same even though it's a play on that" and thus me and my brother used (and still use) [ɛŋgɑɹd] most of the time but occasionally [ɑŋgɑɹd] or [əŋgɑɹd]. We're pretty inconsistent about it.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Honestly, I just say it as the plain English "on guard" because "en garde" means exactly the same thing and in my accent (Estuary English) is practically identical.
Xenesis
Syogun Changer

Post by Xenesis »

For the record, the reason why there's such weirdness with the barrel switcher and bees is that in 1.0 there's too much space between the despawn distance and the switch so they disappear. In later revisions additional buzzes have been added that force you to trip the switch to progress.

Also for some reason, in 1.0 there's no bazuka at the bottom.

A post on DKC atlas shows this: http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopi ... t=35#p3595

(The second video in that post is a bit spoilery for those playing along at home though!)
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Huh, that's really weird how Criss Kross Cliffs breaks itself. Did they have a special SNES with different despawn distance specs when playtesting it?

I think the special world is extremely bad in this game, but CKC is a great level. It does so many fun things with a gimmick you've technically seen before, and doesn't overstay its welcome.
Leet

Post by Leet »

In my memory you absolutely had to circle within the rocks. So now I don't know anything
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Can't say I was expecting raocow to make a One Piece reference today (I say, despite raocow having acknowledged its existence in a video at least once in the past).
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago In my memory you absolutely had to circle within the rocks. So now I don't know anything
I think that when you do stuff as a kid, it always seems so tough, and then as you get older,
you forget what you had to do, but still remember it being tough.

And then you do some circles around a rock and call it a day.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I love Stampede Sprint, and CKC is also very charming. Good levels all around today!
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Well, since raocow managed to accidentally find one of them,
I'll post a link to a post that shows where all 24 underground caches are in this game.
(Two of them are impossible to get in normal gameplay though.)

This does show levels he hasn't played though, so the curious click at your own discretion.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

raocow made a comment on yesterday’s video ’bout the “Enguard Kongtroversy” that he wanted to adapt it to sound mo’ like English, like how it seems French speakers do when they take foreign words ( & I know that Spanish does with foreign words ). This is interesting, as this concept doesn’t actually exist in English: English is just a mishmash o’ pronunciations from different languages with no consistent rules. For example, “jalapeño” is still spelled & pronounced with the “ñ”, e’en though that’s probably the only word in English that has that letter. Then ’gain, English takes a lot o’ inspiration from Spanish. For instance, it’s the only other language to do those weird upside-down exclamation & question marks @ the beginning o’ exclamatory or inquisitive statements.

Honestly, I found raocow constantly saying “cerious” ’stead o’ “curious” mo’ noticeable — though I think we can all agree that it’s the superior pronunciation.

“Stampede Sprint” is just a super fast mine cart level. It seems like it has a bit o’ trial-&-error gameplay, but I’m not certain. A’least it’s short & fast. & I like the extra challenge o’ keeping Parallel Perry ’live.

For some reason the gimmicks in “Krematoa” are particularly wonky, & “Criss Kross Cliffs” is a good example, where they apparently didn’t e’en bother to test the gimmick before the next printing.

I’ve generally tried to be fair to DKC3, as it’s oft looked down ’pon compared to DKC2, e’en though I think it has some strong levels o’ its own that are a’least better than some o' the weaker levels o’ DKC2; but “Krematoa” really doesn’t compare to DKC2’s “Lost World”. It only really has 3 memorable levels for me, & probably just 2 for everyone else ( & 1 o’ them is ’cause it sucks so hard ), whereas I find all o’ DKC2’s bonus levels to be memorable. This is where DKC3’s mo’ traditional level themes hurts it, as “Krematoa’s” similar-looking & repetitive cliffs & caves don’t compare to the way the “The Lost World” bringing together such a variety o’ level themes ( it helps that “Animal Antics” itself had a variety o’ level themes just within that 1 level ).
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Paragraph wrote: 4 years agoHuh, that's really weird how Criss Kross Cliffs breaks itself. Did they have a special SNES with different despawn distance specs when playtesting it?
It's probably a matter of changing the spawn distances after having finished creating the level when they were trying to tweak performance. It's easy to not have something like this level in mind when doing that.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

"Why can't I jump on Kuff 'n' Klout?"

Did you see the big muscles on their bodies? They're so strong that

a steel keg gets knocked out after defeating one

"Aren't the cliff slopes supposed to be slippery?"

They were in Kong-Fused Cliffs. Most of the rocky surfaces in that level were sloped and you automatically slide down on them. I guess to convey the idea that you can't stay there on the rocks and you need to keep going up (even though you can hop across the surface to not fall off).

"What if I want to express that I want this option but I don't have money?"

Well, at least you can walk out of a bear house anytime by pressing the direction.