(shouting)

Iconoclasts - I can't believe it. Humans are so flaky. I knew I should have asked the tengu about this instead.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Re: Iconoclasts - Hey, it's that human from before.

Post by Blivsey »

the writing's pretty good

convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Some more fun facts to bring up...

As noted, it took Konjak 10 years to create Iconoclasts. It got so hard on him, the week of release he had to be hospitalized :(

Mother, in many ways, is this planet's version of the Pope of Roman Catholicism in terms of function...only with other things which were hinted at today. We'll learn more later.

A thing I should reiterate: Iconoclasts is like Metroid Fusion. That means it is fairly linear, but that doesn't mean you can't explore. It's just mostly restrained in that exploration up until the end game, when the game opens up completely. Don't be afraid to explore and backtrack occasionally, especially after events in the game occur. There are also things you can get with a little moxie ahead of time. For example: The trick you pulled in the first video (Stun Gun/Recoil Jump) can be used to get items such as keys in a couple situations that would otherwise require...something you get later on.

Hedonism isn't specifically about "pleasure," per se. It's as much about pursuing things that have value to you that are outside what is given to you. There are some forms of religious jurisprudence - most of Islam, Calvinism, more traditionally aligned elements of Catholicism - that are deeply critical of such pursuits, seeing that as deviating from God's great plan. Black's accusation is that Robin is straying from His plan. She wants Robin punished for doing so. As the game anviliciously puts down, people are generally assigned to specific roles for their entire lives, and are expected not to deviate from it, at all.

Mina's very interesting to the development of Iconoclasts. I'll bring up why later on.

(Personal fun fact: Had I hosted the thread, my name theme would be religious heresies)
Kleetus wrote: At least in Canada, Engineering has so many traditions and rituals it's practically a cult. I'm bracing for when the Corporation of the Seven Wardens disposes the Canadian government and establishes the technotheocracy; we'll worship Lady Godiva and revere the prophet Rudyard Kipling.
That sounds terrible.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Re: Iconoclasts - Ack, a human!?

Post by Zummorr »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago How did such a backwards society manage to stay alive, let alone reach the tech level shown in the game? It seems as though it should have collapsed in on itself centuries ago...
I dunno. We come from ancestors who drank liters of alcohol every day and denied basic rights to groups of people.

And we still have people who believe in false ideas despite having more access to expert information than ever before.

Future generations would probably call our treatment of the natural environment backwards and barbaric.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

AuraLancer wrote: 4 years ago I'd love to watch this, but
I'm still upset about Royal to the point that
I'll probably never watch an LP of this or play it ever again.
But...why?
Royal's story is tragic, but it fits in line with a tragic hero. The fatal flaw being his inability to grow, his inability to recognize his own coddled/spoiled life and breaking free from that. There's nothing to be upset about.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

probably it's the

bit where the game has you carry royal only to force you to leave him behind which is like, ridiculously cruel and stuff

spoilers:
this naughty lad

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago the writing's pretty good

I fuckin' love Agent Black

Best character in the game
thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago (Personal fun fact: Had I hosted the thread, my name theme would be religious heresies)
How do you know that's not what mine is ;D
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Grounder wrote: 4 years agoHow did such a backwards society manage to stay alive, let alone reach the tech level shown in the game? It seems as though it should have collapsed in on itself centuries ago...
This is just a guess since I've never played this game myself but it's completely possible that the game's society is already a post-collapse society that's slowly trying to recover.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago stuff
It's a fitting end really. Let us not forget that what triggered this moment in the first place was Royal, lacking much maturity and fueled with the childish pompous arrogance that has surrounded him his entire life (and that Black's initial slaying of him failed to change), attacked the creature he knew as God. Of all the stupid moves you can pull...
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
wyldstrykr

Post by wyldstrykr »

i found the original:

i can see why the author replace it since it can offend someone with that. also black reaction makes sense in the original since shes a girl which i only know because talkhaus and raocow video comment... i beat the game without even realiZing that black is a girl... kek
LaularuKyrumo

Post by LaularuKyrumo »

yeesh. Yeah, that's pretty non-good. Glad that got edited out.

The reaction from Black still makes sense imo, though, because of some information hinted at later on. She's pretty much ALWAYS got a headache, and the reason is HELLA spoilers.

"Excuse me, I should be allowed to play Kaizo of my own volition and then spend every episode complaining and asking "why did I play this???" while savescumming."
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago
Cyril wrote: 4 years ago stuff
More stuff
It's pretty much what Cyril said. My other problem is with the level design. I can't quite place why, but the exploration in this game feels more like a chore instead of being fun.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Yeah I have the same problem with the level design but I'll call stuff out when it comes up
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

hehh⚊its like a whole page here of hidden stuffs to scroll past.. to keep myself out of the loop 。^‿^。∗ ͙ ⃰

also its kinda charming how rao will just randomly hammer the switch weapon button…as the solution to all new game objects〜
ImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: Iconoclasts - Every one of you religious guys just spouts nothing but nonsense.

Post by Kilgamayan »

The entire soundtrack for this game is great, but Machines, the song that played while you and Mina were fighting that boss battle, is one of my absolute favorites. Glad we got to hear it today. <3

Non-spoiler notes of varying levels of importance:

* As you discovered today, drill-kicking on a slope causes you to slide all the way to the bottom of the slope.
* The missile (charged bomb gun) must travel a certain distance before it will actually explode upon impact with something. If it collides with an object early, as you saw, it will *tink* harmless off of that object. Note that the missile will decelerate to a complete stop after being fired; it is once it starts accelerating again that it will actually explode.
* It didn't come up, but Tolo is male.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

So, fun times in this video:

Tweaks break every time you get hurt. They break in order from right to left. When they break, whatever buff you had on that Tweak Slot stops working (including longer wrench spin). Killing enemies, breaking statues and opening gates give you the means to restore Tweaks. Ideally, you put stuff like Iron Hearts to the right to maximize their use.

You got your first Schematic! These add tweaks for you to craft at a Crafting Table. You will get more over the course of the game.

That blue key in the Shard Wasteland you cannot get with the verbs you have at the moment.

Behold, General Chrome! We'll be seeing him a lot. Yes, those are books on his back. Also, I seriously imagine him sounding like Andrei Ulmeyda from killer7. He gives off that vibe right from the get go.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Blivsey

Re: Iconoclasts - Every one of you religious guys just spouts nothing but nonsense.

Post by Blivsey »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago The entire soundtrack for this game is great, but Machines, the song that played while you and Mina were fighting that boss battle, is one of my absolute favorites. Glad we got to hear it today. <3
Was... was there a way to not hear it? Skippable boss??
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

....why?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago
Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago The entire soundtrack for this game is great, but Machines, the song that played while you and Mina were fighting that boss battle, is one of my absolute favorites. Glad we got to hear it today. <3
Was... was there a way to not hear it? Skippable boss??
thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago....why?
I'm thinking there's been a confusion here. If I'm right, Kilgamayan was just happy that they got to hear the track today, not that it was skippable or avoidable somehow, and Blivsey is confused as to whether there are alternate paths or not, not that they didn't want to hear the music or specifically skip the boss.
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

Yeah, like... the boss was literally the next thing in the game, so it's not like it could somehow be pushed to tomorrow :partygator:
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

I don't know if the boss is skippable or not, I just like hearing Machines whenever I get the opportunity.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LaularuKyrumo

Re: Iconoclasts - Ah, I've said too much, don't worry about it.

Post by LaularuKyrumo »

oh man

So. Interesting detail to note! The plants all over the world have been super blocky and pixely, and I mean above and beyond the game's pixel artstyle. The plants in the "Underwater Restaurant" are not. You can even see this detail by observing the difference between the interior ivy and stuff, and the corals just outside to the left of the wall.

Hmm. I wonder what that means......

"Excuse me, I should be allowed to play Kaizo of my own volition and then spend every episode complaining and asking "why did I play this???" while savescumming."
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Could we please not intentionally draw attention to things and then act all vague about them? It's happened a few times in this thread already and really should stop. Let raoguy notice things and draw conclusions on his own.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

This seems especially stupid because it's like

hey look at this thing you would never guess isn't just part of the artstyle unless you're paying close attention, notice it! notice it now instead of in hindsight like you're supposed to! this innocuous thing is important!

i've never played this game (and am not even watching the videos) but now i feel spoiled. it's like pointing out foreshadowing. i reported the post in question
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Samba is a real word. The first A is long, like saying aah.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago i reported the post in question
Thank you. I wasn't sure if I should or not so it's nice to have a second opinion that agrees.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image