(shouting)

Iconoclasts - I can't believe it. Humans are so flaky. I knew I should have asked the tengu about this instead.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Iconoclasts - I can't believe it. Humans are so flaky. I knew I should have asked the tengu about this instead.

Post by Kilgamayan »

Whoops life came at me fast here and I didn't have the chance to become a Patreon and discuss how to handle guidance for this game with the peeps that have probably been discussing it for weeks! (Probably for the best given money has been substantially harder to come by in the past couple of months, but still.)

Iconoclasts! This game rocks the face six ways from Wednesday and you all owe it to yourselves to play it if you haven't already. If you don't own it but do own a Switch, I highly recommend popping on over to the Nintendo eShop and grabbing it that way. Otherwise, Steam is a perfectly viable, if not quite as portable, option. It's a very reasonable $20 USD for some of the crazier anime hair this side of Japan!

WARNING: This game is both exploration-heavy and story-heavy (heads-up on this one, raoguy, you may not want to mash your way through dialogue boxes with the usual reckless abandon). As such, I can promise that I, at the very least, fully intend to report unmarked spoilers. I don't think exploration is so key to the game as to designate a specific person as the Sole Hintgiver like with La Mulana, so please be mindful about what you say. If you aren't sure if your post contains a spoiler, err on the side of caution and either use the spoiler tags or simply don't post at all. I promise that the world will keep on turning either way.

1 - windy gun (Ack, a human!?)
2 - scaffolders (Hey, it's that human from before.)
3 - adjustable (Every one of you religious guys just spouts nothing but nonsense.)
4 - wing nut (Ah, I've said too much, don't worry about it.)
5 - pipe (Please, tell her to just stay there and not come back above ground.)
6 - church key (It was an accident.)
7 - flare-nut (You're an energetic human.)
8 - line (But, they're always dirtying up our rivers...)
9 - striking face box (I can't believe my weapons couldn't beat you...)
10 - wheel brace (It looks like there's a hole somewhere where we can go down.)
11 - tappet (Yah, an earth spider! We'll tear you to pieces!)
12 - loose (If you start saying that, then everyone's a believer in *something*.)
13 - spark plug (You stink like some beast worse than a tanuki!)
14 - ratchet (Well, hello, I didn't think we'd stumble across someone like you...)
15 - shower valve socket (I don't think she knows what troublesome company she's taking up...)
16 - 4-way lug (... I know you can hear me, it's me.)
17 - open-end (Let me tell you straight up...You'd better leave.)
18 - hex (Awww, my optical camouflage suit broke!)
19 - chain (Kappa and humans have been sworn friends since ancient times, so let me tell you something.)
20 - saltus (Are you saying there's some connection between strength and popularity?)
21 - breaker (Stop fighting and preaching and getting people riled up just to get what you want.)
22 - shifting (I really am neck-deep in this whole contest after all, huh.)
23 - box-end (If that's the best your religion can do, you should probably just give up.)
24 - t-handle (It's not like I'm fighting because I want to be popular.)
25 - brake (She's heeeeereー It's her, it's her!)
26 - die caster (You're such an idiot. How can a magician be so ignorant?)
27 - crow's feet (Okay. If you can get your hands on my target, I'll share some of it with you.)
28 - flex head nut spinner (They say it's the ultimate, final energy.)
29 - c (I didn't think humans were that strong.)
30 - graduated (I can't believe it. Humans are so flaky. I knew I should have asked the tengu about this instead.)

---

Side Quests

Laurie's Letter

* To be delivered to house 10 in Settlement 17

Joel's Letter

* ???

Laurie's Letter

* To be given to Joel (again)

Joel's Letter

* To be given to Laurie (again)

Zinaida Specialty

* Find a grumpy person and give them the Stroke of Delight

Cream Horn

* Try again!

Soldier's RSVP

* To be delivered for an important event

---

~ RIP In Peace ~
Polro (Pre-Game) (???)
Agent Grey (Pre-Game) (Exploded from Ivory ejection)
Mrs. Anders (Pre-Game) (Penance)
Henetta (Penance)
Ella (Penance)
Agent White (Seeds)
Gerrie (Fell to his death)
The Silver Watchman (Drowned)
Mother (Seeds)
Father (Neck snapped)
Chrome (Exploded from Ivory ejection)
Lawrence (Master Sword Pedestal'd)
Agent Black (Everything but the kitchen sink)
Royal (Moon Asphyxisplosion)
Fitzroy (Leticia Homicide)
Leticia (Suicide)
Last edited by Kilgamayan 4 years ago, edited 44 times in total.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: Iconoclasts - Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Post by thatguyif »

Son of a...! I had a thread on draft to post this morning. I wanted to host :( :( :(
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i dont know anything about this game other than i watched it once on sgdq
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Son of a...! I had a thread on draft to post this morning. I wanted to host :( :( :(
Sorry! I'd asked a few times many months ago if I'd be stepping on any toes if I hosted this game and no one ever spoke up so I figured I'd be good to go without worry.
KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago i dont know anything about this game other than i watched it once on sgdq
I watched the exact same run and it was actually what inspired me to get the game! I was vaguely aware of it at the time but the parts of it that weren't completely shattered by speed run antics looked really fun, so I bought in and was very pleased with the result.

Anyway, all you need to know is that there will be

100% less swimming through the air in this playthrough

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago i dont know anything about this game other than i watched it once on sgdq
All you need to know is that there will be

100% less swimming through the air in this playthrough

But seriously, it did look super good and I hope Sam likes it??? I'd like to get it someday too
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago Whoops life came at me fast here and I didn't have the chance to become a Patreon and discuss how to handle guidance for this game with the peeps that have probably been discussing it for weeks! (Probably for the best given money has been substantially harder to come by in the past couple of months, but still.)
actually, we surprisingly haven't, outside of someone saying that raocow should play on hard difficulty. only real discussion on it was someone in the spoiler/no raocow zone discussing their playthrough, and some predictions for how long the rest of the b-side games are gonna be.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago
thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Son of a...! I had a thread on draft to post this morning. I wanted to host :( :( :(
Sorry! I'd asked a few times many months ago if I'd be stepping on any toes if I hosted this game and no one ever spoke up so I figured I'd be good to go without worry.
I PM'd raocow last night to see if anyone claimed it and he said no, recommended I post early. Didn't know it would be that early :(
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

that's my fault, I remembered kilga poking about it too late :( I'm sorry for this mess I'm a little responsible for

for what it's worth though, man, this game plays really nice
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

It's okay, it happens :pal:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Re: Iconoclasts - Ack, a human!?

Post by Blivsey »

Wrenches and guns! We better have a whole arsenal by endgame, including one gun that turns enemies into sheep
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i can't believe they "just standing here" meme its own game
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

To raocow or anyone else that feels that they'll be interested in the story and are currently blind to the game - DO NOT click the spoiler

I'd love to watch this, but
I'm still upset about Royal to the point that
I'll probably never watch an LP of this or play it ever again.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

This is probably the most story-heavy

and heaviest-story

game rao has ever played unless there's some VN LP I missed out on somewhere

Like it's marketed as a metroidvania type ordeal but that genuinely takes the backseat to the story most of the time so yeah...

I honestly wasn't a huge fan of the gameplay in this one (the game controls good but the level design is... questionable) but the story is good and of course the game looks stunningly good too so
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

This game's visuals are excellent without a doubt! I've never heard of it before seeing it in the Coming Up Next thread and I can say it has left a positive first impression.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Iconoclasts - Ack, an human!?

Post by Awoo »

So, mechanics are like super powerful or useful or whatever in this universe? I wonder how my job would fare in such a place. Probably not too different than it is in this universe :ehh:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

A couple of minor notes:

* Agent Black is female.
* You can't access the "Save Craft Item Exit Warp" stuff at the top of the map because it's a legend rather than a list of selectable options. Notice that the big S on the map that denotes Save points is red, the squares of various sizes that denote item locations are yellow, and so on.

Glad you're enjoying yourself so far!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

So, I will provide some additional fun facts from time to time!

As noted by a commenter on the video, Iconoclasts was completely made by one Joakim "Konjak" Sandberg. He was previously known for creating the Noitu Love series, action games which center on the concept of "evolution." It took Konjak 10 years to make the game, including art, music, writing, and more.

This game, while considered one of the better games last year (and my favorite, hands down), had the misfortune of being released around the same time as the BIG indie game last year, Celeste. So it gets kind of overlooked.

You've sort of made some notes at this, but I'll just point it out directly: This game takes a lot of inspiration from Metroid Fusion specifically. I won't say how, but you'll get the picture eventually.

By the way, good on you to figure out the Stun Gun/Recoil Jump at the first video. It is not a necessary mechanic, but it's a highly useful one. It's also one of the few things the game never tells you about.

One last thing: Those feathers sure are something...
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

.⁛woah the world here is so vibrant⚊like so lively and pretty, its lovely#♡ ♡ i remember seeing artwork, like the concept arts of the pixel·cinematics and stuff online somewhere❣ is it true that was done by a team of only one‽‽ if sooo that is crazy!

getting the littlest smallest taste of the bolt mechanic thingies༛ and like i can already tell its going places⁖ and those are places i look forward to*☆
ImageImage
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago So, I will provide some additional fun facts from time to time!

As noted by a commenter on the video, Iconoclasts was completely made by one Joakim "Konjak" Sandberg. He was previously known for creating the Noitu Love series, action games which center on the concept of "evolution." It took Konjak 10 years to make the game, including art, music, writing, and more.

This game, while considered one of the better games last year (and my favorite, hands down), had the misfortune of being released around the same time as the BIG indie game last year, Celeste. So it gets kind of overlooked.

You've sort of made some notes at this, but I'll just point it out directly: This game takes a lot of inspiration from Metroid Fusion specifically. I won't say how, but you'll get the picture eventually.

By the way, good on you to figure out the Stun Gun/Recoil Jump at the first video. It is not a necessary mechanic, but it's a highly useful one. It's also one of the few things the game never tells you about.

One last thing: Those feathers sure are something...
Oh man Noitu Love 2 is extremely up raocow's alley
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

What was the text that was replaced? I can't remember anything too odious from my playthrough.
Nothing to see here
DinnerSonic
All the DinnerSonics
First name: Matthew
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by DinnerSonic »

repairmanman wrote: 4 years ago What was the text that was replaced? I can't remember anything too odious from my playthrough.
Don't quote me on this as I might be remembering what I read wrong, but from what I had heard...
There's some soldiers that made some really gross/sexist jokes about the protagonist, and in the end the creator felt that it was too much from characters who are meant to be more like sympathetic or misguided villains instead of just irredeemable assholes. Those jokes got replaced with things like dad jokes in a later patch.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

How did such a backwards society manage to stay alive, let alone reach the tech level shown in the game? It seems as though it should have collapsed in on itself centuries ago...
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

DinnerSonic wrote: 4 years ago
repairmanman wrote: 4 years ago What was the text that was replaced? I can't remember anything too odious from my playthrough.
Don't quote me on this as I might be remembering what I read wrong, but from what I had heard...
There's some soldiers that made some really gross/sexist jokes about the protagonist, and in the end the creator felt that it was too much from characters who are meant to be more like sympathetic or misguided villains instead of just irredeemable assholes. Those jokes got replaced with things like dad jokes in a later patch.
Wow, they really did change it.

Not sure I like that.
Nothing to see here
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: Iconoclasts - Hey, it's that human from before.

Post by Kilgamayan »

Non-spoiler notes of varying levels of importance:

* You seemed to have mostly figured it out by the end there, but being a mechanic is only permissible if authorized. Robin is unauthorized, hence the fuzz's problems with her.
* Beds restore your health to full. Both times you took a nap, you were already at full health, so it didn't look like it did anything.
* Agent Black is still female. <_<

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Re: Iconoclasts - Hey, it's that human from before.

Post by Kleetus »

I'm just watching the first few episodes of this because sometime I want to play the game, (mostly) spoiler free. This is actually the reason I've sat out on a lot of recent LPs.
Grounder wrote: How did such a backwards society manage to stay alive, let alone reach the tech level shown in the game? It seems as though it should have collapsed in on itself centuries ago...
Calling it now, the major plot twist will be that society has only been like this since last February.

The general society in the game has caused something I was told once by a physics professor to echo in my head, it went something like this:
"I have a friend, he's an engineer, he's also a practicing Catholic. I keep meaning to ask him how his profession affects his faith, because to my knowledge, the Church does not approve of members of her flock joining secret societies."

At least in Canada, Engineering has so many traditions and rituals it's practically a cult. I'm bracing for when the Corporation of the Seven Wardens disposes the Canadian government and establishes the technotheocracy; we'll worship Lady Godiva and revere the prophet Rudyard Kipling.