(shouting)

Donkey Kong Country 3 - Unbelievable type of a situation

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Re: Donkey Kong Country 3 - Welcome to Kanada!

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

By the by, KAOS is totally the new leader of the Kremlings this time around; the instruction manual said it, so it must be true, right?
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

I think Ripsaw Rage, Blazing Bazukas and Low-G Labyrinth are definitely among the highs of the game. Those levels really stick to what they set out to do, gameplay wise; and they all neatly represent what it's about. They're slower paced gimmick levels, and DKC3 is a slower paced, gimmicky game. Gameplay-wise, I think this game is pretty phenomenal at what it tries to accomplish. It's just that, if you make a Venn Diagram of what people love about DKC2 and/or DKC3's gameplay, there's a lot of things exclusive to one or the other. It's no wonder DKC3 is so divisive.
video games
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

I think if I’ve learned anything from these videos it’s that raocow cared a lot mo’ ’bout the canon & worldbuilding o’ these games as a kid than I e’er did.

I really want to love “Ripsaw Rampage”, as it’s so cool, conceptually. The 1 major flaw is that the stupid camera is locked ( & e’en if you are good ’nough to play ’head o’ the camera, the rest o’ the level doesn’t spawn till on-camera, so you need to stay on-camera ), forcing you to slow down, which makes this level feel somewhat cheap, as you’re sandwiched ’tween 2 tight barriers thanks to your characters being rather large. In Rare’s defense, it may have been a technical limitation that forced them to do this — maybe the layer they used the saw had to be locked into place on-screen, so you couldn’t have it partially or fully off-screen below.

The invincibility bonus is, indeed, 1 o’ the better bonuses in this game, though the other bonus is ’nother “just play a normal part o’ the level without getting hit”, which feels redundant. A “Destroy Them All” bonus would’ve been interesting to see in this level.

“Blazing Bazukas” is a perfectly competent level, & probably the best in “Mekanos”. I just wish they didn’t bring Squitter back in this level ’cause they already used him in “Fire-Ball Frenzy” ( ¿& why does Rare spell “fireball” with a hyphen, anyway? ), ’cept here he’s just used to reach a higher place & kill mo’ bees in a bonus ’gain.

“Low-G Labyrinth” would be less weak if it weren’t so long. Low gravity is so slow, so making this level long just makes everything feel like molasses. There’s a lot o’ repeated filler. Then there’s that stupid bee section right after the midway point. ’Twas good that Rare made hitboxes lenient so that you can go partway inside enemies & not get hurt, specially for a game with arguably imprecise graphics like these without sharp outlines ( contrast that with the Returns games, where Goomba-like enemies can outright reach back & slap you e’en if you don’t touch them ); but you should still design manoeuvring round the greater graphical box o’ sprites, ’cause that’s all players can see, & not expect them to go through enemies & guess what the hitbox inside is. Not only is that cheap, ’cause it’s a guessing game, it hurts the lenient hitbox by revealing the magic ’hind it: it emphasizes that the hitboxes don't fit the graphics & make the programmers look like idiots. The whole point o' this hitbox leniency is that it should be an inconspicuous help ( though conspicuous when it’s not there ), not a new unintuitive challenge.

A’least Kaos is a much better boss than “Cotton-Top Cove”; but world 5 has the best boss. Actually, though many o’ DKC3’s bosses still fall under the stench o’ the dreaded “Rareware Boss” syndrome, these bosses seem o’erall much better than DKC2’s, which were oft very generic ( specially Kudgel & Kreepy Krow ).
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 4 years ago world 5 has the best boss
trufax
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

Hooray, the most troublesome koin in the game has been defeated today!
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Donkey Kong Kountry 3 - Welcome to Koinville!

Post by Awoo »

"I'm not great at Simon"

I'd argue otherwise, raocow! Remember when you played Earthworm Jim 2 and totally mastered the "Simon Says" part of Villi People on your first try and got every bonus in the level because of it? That was pretty incredible, better than I could have done!
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc

Post by Falky »

What happened with the bear coins? You had six after buying the cave clue, got the first one in Krevice Kreepers and that put you back up to twenty. Also, on Tearaway Toboggan, the buildings you could go in front of had a path in front.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

apparently this also works for that koin

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Hello yes it's me Krevice Kreepers, the level with one setup repeated 30 times, but get this: now the timing is slightly tighter
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I know a lot of people have different complaints about this game, but I've worked out one that's bothering me: the bonus games always use the same mechanic/gimmick/tileset as the level it's in. This means that what should be a pace-breaker and a "bonus" is actually just More Of What You Were Already Doing, But With A Timer. They don't feel like challenges with meaningful rewards, they feel like More Level But Hidden.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

The music not restarting from the beginning every time is one of my favourite little features the game has.

Whenever you exit from a bonus or reenter a level from the midpoint,
the music typically start playing from around halfway through or about three quarters through.

Really helps avoid the typical "hear the start of the song 30 times" syndrome you get from some games.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow, there's a very important reason to use the toboggan over normal platforming in levels like Tearaway Toboggans: It's far more fun.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

fair
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Did raocow use some time and space shenanigans to swindle Bazaar out of 13 coins?

Or is DKC3 just a well made game?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I swear no savestates or whatever where used, I don't understand what happened either.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Donkey Kong Snatcher 3 - Welcome to Neo-Kobe City!

Post by Awoo »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago I swear no savestates or whatever where used, I don't understand what happened either.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Zummorr wrote: 4 years ago Did raocow use some time and space shenanigans to swindle Bazaar out of 13 coins?

If you buy the mirror, and then on the same visit, ask about the secret caves,
the game doesn't actually charge you the 13 coins, even if it looks like it does.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

MonkeyShrapnel wrote: 4 years ago
Zummorr wrote: 4 years ago Did raocow use some time and space shenanigans to swindle Bazaar out of 13 coins?

If you buy the mirror, and then on the same visit, ask about the secret caves,
the game doesn't actually charge you the 13 coins, even if it looks like it does.
Ahh. Well made game!
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

That narrow gap in Krevice Kreepers did indeed have a balloon when you were below it, but it flew away. Also the first bonus you're meant to bring the Klasp more to the right and then jump over.

A really neat touch with Northern Kremisphere is that the screen limits its scrolling to hide certain parts that aren't accessible yet, depending on your progress and your boat type. Like if you only have the hover craft, you don't see anything beyond the waterfalls, whereas the screen would move up as you get close to the waterfalls if you have the turbo ski boat.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

The Koin in the waterfall level is made easier by bouncing the rolling barrel off a wall (of which you were provided two!) and then just running in front of it.

The second Krack-Shot Kroc bonus level is my favorite part of any DKC game. <3
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Barrel Drop Bounce is one of my least favorite levels in the game. Most of the level is just mediocre but that waterfall where raocow did all the jumpcutting is absolutely infuriating to pull off without Dixie. And for whatever reason the midpoint is before this waterfall while the DK barrel is after so if you don't have Dixie you're screwed unless you go get her from another level.

There's other levels that are more difficult for various reasons (one in the next world and one in the one after that in particular come to mind) but none are nearly as infuriating as that one jump.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago The Koin in the waterfall level is made easier by bouncing the rolling barrel off a wall (of which you were provided two!) and then just running in front of it.
Or riding it and jumping off over Koin at the end so the shield is raised as the keg bashes in.
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

I like how zigzaggy “Krevice Kreepers”’s map is & the Koin puzzle, but its main gimmick is too 1-note. If ’twere much shorter & cut out all the repetitions it’d be a much better level.

The indication Rare gives for which houses you can drive through in “Tearaway Toboggan” is not much o’ an indication @ all. Better would’ve been to just let you drive through them all, since not letting you do so adds nothing. Hell, they could’ve just put a bee right @ the front & gotten the same thing, just mo’ honest.

While many backgrounds in this game look gorgeous, this 1 always looked awkward to me, & I’ve just realized why: its elements are so sharp & stand out that the fact that they repeat every screen, Hanna-Barbera-style, stands out. It looks really stupid passing that same arrangement o’ 3 huts mo’ than 40 times throughout the level.

“Barrel Drop Bounce” is similar to “Krevice Keepers” in that I like how open the level is for exploration ( this is something 2 & 3 did well that none o’ the other games accomplished ), but the gimmick is too simple & stretched too thin. ’Cept I feel like they could’ve done mo’ with this gimmick. They could’ve a’least put enemies round the falling barrels near the end to add some semblance o’ evolving the challenge — as raocow joked, by the end it’s doing the same thing it did @ the beginning.

Also, “Barrel Drop Bounce” might be the worst level name Rare’s e’er made. ¡They don’t e’en bounce!

Most people agree that “Krack-Shot Kroc” is a great level with the best bonus in the game. I would add that e’en the palette is great: ¿who wants to avoid scalding green acid when you could avoid scalding Pepto-Bismol ’stead? E’en though this is the 3rd factory level to use Squitter, here he actually works well.

Interestingly, it took years for me to realize those metal walls block Krack-Shot’s shots & are not just decoration.

The Koin puzzle is dumb, ’course, ’cause you’re Squitter for most o’ the level, so ’course Koin is just @ the end. They could’ve made a quick cameo back to Bazuka shooting barrels & the switch that changes barrel types & maybe added a new twist to make this Koin different from the last level to have that puzzle — make it mo’ challenging — but for some reason Rare liked sticking slavishly to their gimmicks in many o’ this game’s levels.

“Lemguin Lunge” being short makes it that much stronger. Its gimmick is simple, but ’cause this level is short, it doesn’t drag like “Krevice Kreepers” & “Barrel Drop Bounce”, but makes the level feel like a fun burst.

But, ’gain, the Koin puzzle could’ve been far better — mix Koin & the lemguins. Challenge the player to carry the metal keg while avoiding Lemguins.

Also, this palette looks great: gray & purple are a rare, but great color combination, & you don’t see snowy areas depicted in purple so much as blue or e’en green, & you rarely see gray skies in video games.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

And thus we encounter the game's only crate. It doesn't do anything special, or really even seem to be intended to be used for any concrete task in particular; it is just a crate. But I think that in terms of fulfilling that function, we can all agree it did a pretty crate job.