(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: All The SOUPER S@nics - 3&K - Invincible

Post by Grounder »

80 gigs?

yeah no
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

thing to keep in mind is probably a lot of the sonic ones on there (outside of the cafe) are bootleg/fangame, so whoever looks into it should verify which ones are real
Grounder wrote: 4 years ago 80 gigs?

yeah no
why don't you actually look at it before posting, it's obviously not just one 80g download :rolling_eyes:
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago
Grounder wrote: 4 years ago 80 gigs?

yeah no
why don't you actually look at it before posting, it's obviously not just one 80g download :rolling_eyes:
40 2 gig files is still 80 if you want to make absolutely sure nothing's in the wrong place or misnamed, decompression notwithstanding. don't be a smartass.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
DinnerSonic
All the DinnerSonics
First name: Matthew
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by DinnerSonic »

Did somebody say "80 gigs(or two sets of 40 gigs? Some Kinda Big Number, anyway) of old weird Java cellphone games"?! ... if nobody else gets around to it, I think I could reserve that space on my hard drive and look into it before the AtS advent of mobile technology comes, if there's enough spinoffs to buy me that time.

(Also Mushroom Hill Zone is different enough from the Green Hill Zone tropes or zones that are literally part of Green Hill, that I'm counting it separate from the "something Hill Zone" trope since people thought of Hill Top Zone like that)
Last edited by DinnerSonic 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

to be frank no one's saying there can't be an all the sonics gaiden.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Another oddity for the pile:
http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic%27s_Edusoft an unreleased 1991 title only revealed in 2008
It could either be played after

Sonic Rivals 2

or as a Gaiden title at the end of this madness.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

A little-known fact: there are alternate versions of the Mushroom Hill theme, too!

Awoo wrote: Too bad they retconned that to Egg-Robo when you hook up Sonic 3 to Sonic & Knuckles :ehh:
what do you mean by this? I've been trying to parse it for a while now
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago Well then what the hell happened in the boss fight we all remember then
an utter joke getting utterly demolished after completely missing sonic several times, or at least that's me
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The Sound Tests - 3&4 - Invariable

Post by Awoo »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago
Awoo wrote: Too bad they retconned that to Egg-Robo when you hook up Sonic 3 to Sonic & Knuckles :ehh:
When you play Sonic 3 & Knuckles as Knuckles, the bosses in the Sonic 3 section are Egg-Robo and not Robotnik, so I though I'd make a silly thing about you actually being Egg-Robo instead.

Eh I tried :ehh:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago
Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago
When you play Sonic 3 & Knuckles as Knuckles, the bosses in the Sonic 3 section are Egg-Robo and not Robotnik, so I though I'd make a silly thing about you actually being Egg-Robo instead.

As opposed to Sonic 3 alone, where Knuckles is a goofy prankster, and also unplayable
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

so for what it's worth, someone has approached me to take a look at that crazy archive and take a stab at organising things for me.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago
Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago what do you mean by this? I've been trying to parse it for a while now

it was a good attempt but Knuckles's run canonically takes place long after Sonic and Tails are done with their own S3K adventure (despite some sources claiming they happen at the same time for some reason) so ah well;;

Sonic the Hedgehog was the midboss of, like, part 1 of Knuckles's story, and then his writers didnt know what to do so they made his Big Bad a random egg robot

and then Cooler comes back for some reason and dies without really doing anything. Knuckles never even met him the first time around so he shouldn't know who he is!

Anyway it's cold tonight so I'm warming up while I wait for tonight's episode
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

hell yeah, we getting the phone games babey.

Now, i really do hope we do get the mcdonalds handhelds down the line.
ImageImage
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

STI's preferred solution to the music issue was to hire Howard Drossin to compose new tracks to replace the Jackson ones, but they had little time to do so, as six months before release was essentially the final hour for the game's release (as mastering and producing cartridges required a large lead time to release, especially for producing the massive amounts Sonic 3 was expected to sell).

Of the songs in the game, seven tracks (Carnival Night, IceCap, Launch Base, Sonic 3, the miniboss theme, Knuckles' theme in Sonic 3 and the Competition menu) could be directly traced to Jackson's involvement, and thus needed to be changed so as to hide his involvement. This was a little easier than it sounded, as the credits theme held no parallels to Jackson's current body of work. (though it would turn out later he had used the credits theme as a prototype for Stranger In Moscow). Howard Drossin was to edit these songs into themes safely distanced from Jackson, and ended up working around the clock with little over a week to do it. But with so little time, most changes were small, like different keys and instrumentation changes, leaving anyone with ears able to identify Jackson's signature styles with a little careful listening.

However, STI did have a lifeline to fix this in the Lock-on Technology. By having Drossin write new tracks and inserting them into Sonic&Knuckles, they could replace the old tracks once the games were combined, assuming that most players would prefer to play both games together rather than separately.

However, to this day the full story is not known. And with Jackson's death in 2009, it never will be.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

should we keep a "failed super emerald special stage" counter in this super-sonic less space-time? yes

it's 3 right now
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

This particular Robotnik fight is probably the one I associate the most with the S3&K boss theme. Partially because it just moves along well with the rythmn of the song, partially because it's just a very dynamic sequence in general. The bit with Robotnik hiding underground with a satellite transmitter atop his craft (which appears to be responsible for the weather control system seen elsewhere in the stage); the fact that you apparently take him by surprise here and the boss fight takes the form of a chase scene, kind of like what Labyrinth's Zone's boss was presumably conceived of as (if we're generous enough to presume it had any concept at all); and his slamming in to the tree at the end all add a nice bit of flavour, and make the boss fight feel more like a proper event rather than just a punctuation mark that doesn't really have much to do with the stage itself (I'm looking at you, Carnival Night). All in all, Mushroom Hill serves mostly as a post-Launch-Base breather in the linked game, but it's a very fun and memorable one, and the boss is in tune with this.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

So, a quick thing: Those times where you see blue spheres sandwiched between red spheres in a 3x3 square? The essential trick with those is to jump over the one in the middle. Technically, you do the same with the 4x3 rectangle you saw with the same sandwich setup, though it's easier to just grab the pair of blue spheres on the outer edge, go around, and get the other pair (unless the tempo is super fast).

It's also worth noting that there is a point where the Big Rings stop appearing completely. You'll know it when you see it.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

hey there raocow.

regarding your question about supercharging the emeralds: no, having the first 7 unlocks the true final zone. their supercharged status holds no weight regarding that, so you're good
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

Kincyr wrote: 4 years ago hey there raocow.

regarding your question about supercharging the emeralds: no, having the first 7 unlocks the true final zone. their supercharged status holds no weight regarding that, so you're good
Really? I was prepared to confidently answer the opposite, but I guess I've never tried, so I could be wrong. Huh. I just always kinda assumed you needed everything.

Regardless, even if he did need all of 'em, raocow wouldn't need a savestate anyway unless he really wanted one....even if gets to the end without all 7 super emeralds, he can just replay mushroom hill a few times on the same save file to finish 'em up, I'm pretty sure.

But I guess that's also a thing I've never tried.
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

the full answer to the "supercharge" question is thus:

if you have seven Chaos Emeralds, or seven Super Emeralds, you can access the true final zone.

if you deposit the emeralds at the shrine by entering a big ring in any of the s&k levels, you no longer have seven Chaos Emeralds. They are now at the shrine and no longer in your imaginary pocket.

also can i just bring attention to the 3d effect on the gates/hurdles during that boss fight? graphical wizardry!!!
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

I can't be the only one wondering why there is a switch in the forest that turns on a giant fan. Most of the machines and contraptions are probably just stuff that Robotnick has laying around, but why a giant fan?
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago Anyway it's cold tonight so I'm warming up while I wait for tonight's episode
Nast

Post by Nast »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 4 years ago Fun Sonic Facts!

STI's preferred solution to the music issue was to hire Howard Drossin to compose new tracks to replace the Jackson ones, but they had little time to do so, as six months before release was essentially the final hour for the game's release (as mastering and producing cartridges required a large lead time to release, especially for producing the massive amounts Sonic 3 was expected to sell).

It's not really known which music Drossin actually composed, but he's at least responsible for the Title, Invincibility and Knuckles themes in S&K. They're derived from these two tracks from the album Virtual Sonic, written by Howard Drossin in 1993 (before Sonic 3) and released three years later.

There were a ton of composers involved with Sonic 3's music and the facts of who did what is something I'm super interested in and I wish we had closure for it. Some users on Sonic Retro have supposedly taken a lot of steps in investigating it, some even have claimed to have spoken with some of the composers (in this old thread), but unfortunately they never source their claims so *shrug*
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

....you can totally go to the left when jumping off of those spinning propeller things. That's how you get up at that point--snake back and forth on 'em.