(shouting)

Donkey Kong Country 3 - Unbelievable type of a situation

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Donkey Kong Country 3 - Welcome to Kanada!

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

FISH FOOD FRENZY is the one level where if the player panics due to the gimmick, they might have a hard time figuring it out.

Otherwise, a solid set of 3 levels. KREEPING KLASPS is one of my favorite levels in the game. There's something just magical about seeing the Stilt Village aesthetic used for a tougher level. And I mean, actually, this world in general is probably my favorite in the game.
video games
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

"The menacing water music doesn't fit the contents of the levels" -someone; wrong, Nibbla is a big stresser!! when you're a child anyway
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

Because you didn't seem to figure it out while you were playing raocow, the way Nibbla works is that

it will try and sit 3-4 tiles behind you at all times. If you turn around on the spot it'll swim past you to sit on the other side.

strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Gonna echo that fish food frenzy is a stressful level as a child. Especially if you don't know how nibbla moves, and think he'll eat every bad fish no matter what. Then it becomes this high tension race to get more food before he attacks you.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Kreeping Klasps, if I am not mistaken, marks the third and final appearance of Kobble, the basic Kremling enemy. A curious thing about this game is that, in contrast to the first two installments, a lot of enemies seem to be bound to particular environmental tilesets--Kobble only appears in lakeside levels (of which there are just three), Krumple (ugly bootleg Krusha) only appears in waterfall levels, etc. I'm not sure exactly what the reasoning for this is; it doesn't appear to be a technological limitation, and if anything just serves to reduce the amount of variation in the levels, and makes certain sprites seem underused. We will see a particularly strange example of this in a much later waterfall level.
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

I think “Fish Food Frenzy” might be my favorite level in this game. It’s such a clever gimmick you’d ne’er see in any other platformer.

There’s only 2 problems with the level:
1. That banana bonus. Laziest bonus in the game.
2. I forgot to mention this in the last water level, but maybe this is a better time to: the problem with Koin is that ’cause they’re a land-based enemy who appears on every level, it’s a guarantee that they’ll always be in the short land area @ the end o’ water levels. Interestingly, DKC2 did this better in 2 ways: it didn’t have every hero coin be the same puzzle, but it also generally eschewed full-on water levels for levels that balance ’tween being on land or in water. Either this or not having Koin hold the hero coin on some levels would’ve fixed this problem.

“Kreeping Klasps” & “Tracker Barrel Trek” are less amazing gimmicks, but still don’t feel like retreads o’ things the previous 2 games did. I feel it’s good to balance big gimmicks like Nibbler with simpler gimmicks; otherwise, the game wouldn’t have any normal gainst which to contrast the weird gimmicks.

“Tracker Barrel Trek” is good @ balancing the tracker barrels, which probably couldn’t hold a level on their own, with Ellie’s squirt mechanic mixed with waterfalls. These 2 gimmicks also go well together, as it challenges you to aim shots while being blasted up & down ’stead o’ just in a stationary position.

“Kreeping Klasps” stays mostly to its gimmick, with only a few small hops on Re-coils as a break, but it’s a short level, so it works here. I’m glad this level is short, ’cause Rare has sometimes taken a gimmick too long & made it repetitive & tedious, such as with “Barrel Shield Bust-Up” in this game or “Windy Well” in DKC2. My only problems with this level are that some o’ the jumps feel like blind jumps, ’cause you can’t see the Klasp coming till you’re already committed to a jump, & the bonuses are lame. They should’ve put Klasps in the banana collecting bonus to make it had the slightest semblance o’ challenge. Meanwhile, the other bonus is just, “do the same thing you’ve done through the entire level, just ’gain”. They could’ve a’least put stars ( should be ornaments — c’mon, raocow ) ’bove the ropes that you collect as you jump o’er the Klasps to give the illusion o’ doing something different.

Worlds 3 – 5 seem to be this game’s high point, with world 1 being competent, but not amazing, world 2 being mixed, & the rest… We’ll get to the rest when we get to them. It’s unfortunate, as the middle is probably the worst place to have your strongest material in a work: you most want it @ the start to minimize the chances o’ people leaving before the reach the rest, & if not, the end, so they’re a’least left with a good memory. Unluckily, I think these happy memories will be replaced by unhappy memories by the end o’ the game.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Are you holding the run button while bouncing on enemies? That affects the distance, and I think there were instances yesterday and today where you weren't getting the extra distance.

Even though Ellie in Tracker Barrel Trek is a transformation barrel and not an animal crate, you can skip her. You don't actually need her at all to beat the level, although it's quite a bit more challenging without her, whereas with her water shots it's almost trivial. And the animal barrel comes back if you enter a bonus and return (if you're kongs), so you could have regained the steel keg that way.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Really feel like they thought up the concept for Koin and then realized they had no ideas for any actual puzzles.

They loved the model, though, so in he goes, anyway.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

I wanted to write a big post about how DKC3 fails in comparison to DKC2 and why I dislike it so much especially in retrospect, and how realizing that I played it a LOT as a kid but without ever really having much fun was extremely important to how I approach games now, but eh

It's just too boring really

Two things, though
a) the waterfall levels fucking suck and are so tedious and janky and you keep falling down them and they've got nothing going for them, ugh
a-1) actually that's all of Cotton-Top Cove, what a waste of a world
b) Mekanos is way better but what a first showing with "wait for owls to shoot". I would call it a flow killer, but DKC3 doesn't have a flow to kill. It's so slow. Wait for everything. Suck up some water. Roll through two hedgehogs in a row, I guess. woo
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Waiting for DKC4 Kong Eater that tells the story of the Kremean War
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

we at factory world

I like the music in factory levels a lot. Again though, it carries almost all of the tone all by itself. While the music is oppressive and somewhat hostile, the visuals are kinda just... a factory with nothing really particular about it. It certainly looks nice, though. And employs a pleasantly surprising amount of tones if you look at it. And I like the contrast between the claustro parts (parts with walls or a ceiling) and open-air parts of the level. Seeing the stormy sky background through the tiny windows is pretty cool.

I think DKC did a god job at conveying a "scary" factory. The factory levels in DKC1 made me think I were on very thin catwalks in a giant room, so big that it hits your sense of direction, and constantly hanging over the abyss. No guard rails, no safety measure whatsoever. The background scrolls so slowly compared to the foreground, making it seem like it's so much further away than it looks. -That's- a way to *actually* make use of the background, rather than it just existing to complement the locale and nothing else. DKC3 obviously could have went in another direction as well, but I just find it kinda... sits there.

The music in 3 still does a better job than the music in 1, though, even though both tracks are great.
Last edited by Mandew 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
video games
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago Really feel like they thought up the concept for Koin and then realized they had no ideas for any actual puzzles.

They loved the model, though, so in he goes, anyway.
The thing is, there are a couple of interesting uses of Koin. They could have just used Koin occasionally, when they had an appropriate use for him, and just had the DK coin sitting around otherwise like in DKC2, and that would have been fine (better, in fact, for things like the water and toboggan levels which don't have the normal style of gameplay). The mistake was doggedly insisting on including Koin in every single level, even when there's no logical place for him to be, let alone a unique puzzle for him. I can only assume someone on the dev team was really obsessed with Konsistency at the expense of all else, yielding the bizarre approach to DK coins we see in the final product.
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

The Great Koinstistancy of 1997 is one of the more obvious questionable decisions that was made. I think it still works, just... in a very different way than the DK coin. And it doesn't work -as- well as the DK coin. As far as that goes, I think that's very low on my critique list for this game.

Man I love this game, but man is there a lot of thinks to take apart.
video games
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Is Koin the actual name of the guy?
ImageImage
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago Is Koin the actual name of the guy?
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Donkey Kong Country 3 - Welcome to Kat Planet!

Post by Awoo »

Factory world?

yeah I'd do a cat planet joke here normally but that'd be too obvious

cat planet

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Mandew
d'yo

Re: Donkey Kong Country 3 - Welcome to Kat Planet!

Post by Mandew »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago

yeah I'd do a cat planet joke here normally but that'd be too obvious

that is indeed a fact .................................................................................................................... ory
video games
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

MonkeyShrapnel wrote: 4 years ago
Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago Is Koin the actual name of the guy?
I am glad to learn this.
ImageImage
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

The janky cliff hit detection was mo’ the boss than Squirt himself.

You know, I remember it considered popular consensus that “Mekanos” is better than “Cotton-Top Cove” ( ¿who wouldn’t prefer factory levels to water levels? ), but looking @ the levels we’ve seen now & looking ’head @ tomorrow’s levels, it seems much weaker. I e’en found out that the 1 level I thought was really good is actually in world 5. ( I think it says something bad ’bout this game’s level theming that I keep forgetting which world levels are in, since themes from 1 world break out into worlds with different themes for some reason.

To be fair, “Mekanos” is an exception, as its levels all stick to the mechanical / factory theme, more or less.

Already we start with yet ’nother level where you stop & go while timing movement ’tween moving projectiles, only now its from above going down ’stead o’ from side to side like in “Barrel-Shield Bust-Up”.

I’m sure many will say “Demolition Drain-Pipe” feels worse than DKC1 & 2’s mine cart levels ( & not just ’cause o’ the absurdity o’ the Kongs not just jumping out as raocow mentions in the video description ), & I think the reason is ’cause this level has unfair level design. The mine cart levels in the previous 2 were almost entirely fair ( I think “Rickety Race" might’ve had some instances where you could accidentally jump into a hole before you see the hole coming, but that seemed accidental on Rare’s part ) — they were just jump just before each obstacle, just testing your timing. Here the level throws things you have to anticipate, like the pipe just before a hole. You’re conditioned to jump just before a pipe, but now if you do that, you get hit by the hole’s wall. It’s mo’ like the Returns games’ style o’ level design ( ’cept they go e’en further & just change the level right under you all the time ).

I think raocow was unfair to the game, making fun o’ the floating “theater”, since you can clearly see that it’s hanging by rope. A better question is how rope can hold up a huge plot o’ land or why said huge plot o’ land doesn’t leave any noticeable shadow on the ground below it.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Been catching up with the videos due to mental health related issues and yeah I had no idea you could honk the horn this makes the game like 110% better in my eyes

I lowkey expected this game to be more like carol levels of not trying, but it actually tries with the gimmicks? It's just that the gimmicks take up the entire level instead of mixing in with platforming, and I guess that's the deal breaker for people. Doorstop Dash for instance feels super slow for a level 2.

Unripe bananas are the worst though. Bonus levels really took a hit from the past game, this is barely above DKC1 tier.

As for levels, being the SMW ASM liker guy, I'm somewhat fond of Riverside Race and Bobbing Barrel Brawl. Adding one level only mechanics just feels kinda nice for me even if it's sorta breaking the rules of game design. Fish Food Frenzy is really nice too, the Brutal Mario adaptation was one of the nicer levels in Demo 7.

Sad that you aren't beating every level as Dixie to establish that Dinky is bad and wrong and a mistake. Koin is pointless lol

Also "strategy guides that tell you to go online"????????????????? do you mean ff9

WHAT
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 4 years agoI think raocow was unfair to the game, making fun o’ the floating “theater”, since you can clearly see that it’s hanging by rope. A better question is how rope can hold up a huge plot o’ land or why said huge plot o’ land doesn’t leave any noticeable shadow on the ground below it.
If you actually look even closer, the rope is attached to a crane and you can see a cave-sized divot on the ground below it.

So someone took the time to dig out an entire cave and hoist it up with a huge-ass crane and now it's just swinging around on the map screen.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Koin will have his revenge for all these insults. Just you wait.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

These are some of the best levels in DKC3, it's why Mekanos is the best world, and it shows how much most of the other levels squander the potential the game had.

Ripsaw Rage is an ideal autoscroller, in that it is pretty fast, always gives you something to do, has a tangible reason for why you gotta follow the scroll, and the invincibility bonus is nothing short of genius.

Blazing Bazukas does everything it can with the enemy type (well, not QUITE...), and expertly blends gimmick-that-hurts-you with gimmick-that-helps-you, sometimes within the same Bazuka. It could have easily fallen into the trap of just making you dodge the regular shots with varying timing, but instead you need to weave between them, follow them along, use them to kill enemies for you, and - most importantly - jump ON them to progress, recontextualizing the projectile as something that helps you. DKC2 did that a lot too with Kannon, and, well, DKC3 is best when it takes from DKC2 (Ripsaw Rage is pretty similar to Slime Climb after all).

Low-G Labyrinth is very slow, but in a way that actually makes you feel more powerful than less. You have a lot of control in the air, and there's a reason people activate slowdown for tough romhacks. It's still the weakest of the three today, because there's a few annoying bees-out-of-nowhere situations (DKC3 is TERRIBLE for that, as later worlds will show), but I think it does a great job with a level-spanning gimmick, milking it mostly for its advantages to the player instead of having it be a constant obstacle (like, say, a bad wind level that just keeps pushing you back).
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I think this game just hits the right notes for me since it's a gimmick platformer where it gets most of the gimmicks right, kind of like how Mega Man 8 did for me. It's a matter of if you can handle that stuff or not or would rather just play a pure platformer. Like, I prefer a lot of this stuff over the hot air balloon stuff in the second game, and they were always going to do the "mine cart" thing with the toboggans since that's DKC's deal anyway.

Need to catch up with today's vid, but yeah, this game just works. Always used to do the factory area before water world since it's closer, but it does feel like it should be the other way around.