(shouting)

Donkey Kong Country 3 - Unbelievable type of a situation

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
RobinLSL

Re: Donkey Kong Country 3 - Welcome to Kanada!

Post by RobinLSL »

xfix wrote: 4 years ago
Paragraph wrote: 4 years ago It's literally the only time the water bounce is required
Interestingly, while you are clearly intended to use the water bounce, it is possible to use Dixie to obtain get to this bonus room. That said, water bounce is easier.
This method doesn't even seem that hard, it seems they're not even using the "air jump" optimally here.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

raocow should run and jump behind goals more often because I think that's where bear coins tend to be

also the DK coin can still totally be a hidden bonus like in the first level today. it just... isn't always, like in the second level today.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

New Recored
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Donkey Kong Country 3 - Welcome to Neo-Tokyo!

Post by Awoo »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years agoNew Recored

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Mill Fever music always reminds me of "Can't Buy Me Love" by the Beatles.

I doubt anyone else hears it.
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

“Barrel Shield Bust-Up” is a good example o’ a level that makes you stop & go, stop & go, just dodging moving projectiles, as opposed to DKC2, which usually avoided that kind o’ thing & was usually carefully constructed to allow you to keep constant pace.

1 advantage I think DKC3 has that I know many will dispute is that its bonuses are actually challenges. DKC2’s were just free & forgettable, but DKC3 makes you work for your bonus coins. I dispute the claim that RNG can make the green banana challenge impossible: I’ve seen speedrunners able to get bananas from opposite ends easily & still have plenty o’ time afterward. raocow was o'ershooting bananas & not jumping @ the right angles ( which, to be fair, is ’cause he probably hasn’t played this game in years ). & that bonus was nice ’nough to make it easy to get ’nother chance. I don't think it's right to judge a bonus bad if one has to actually try it multiple times before getting it like a legitimate challenge.

Now bonuses that do deserve to be derided are the “Squeals on Wheels” ones for being lazy & stupid. “Collect bananas ’gain but on wheel platforms”. The rats don’t e’en do anything, so they’re just platforms with awkward hitboxes ( ¡loved seeing raocow just fly through the platform as if ’twere a ghost there! ). This is a perfect example o’ where Rare should’ve given the rats in wheels gimmick a breather; but they’re like, <Nope, this level needs to be full rats in wheels. & whene’er rats in wheels are not on screen, all the Kongs should be asking, ‘¿Where’s the rats in wheels?’>.

I agree that the bonuses don’t have as much variety as they should have in this game; but then, DKC2’s were repetitive, too.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Donkey Kong Country 3 - Welcome to Kimerica, home of Video Game Accessories

Post by Awoo »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 4 years ago I agree that the bonuses don’t have as much variety as they should have in this game; but then, DKC2’s were repetitive, too.
I still miss "Destroy Them All", it's really not the same even if raocow isn't (necessarily) able to say "destroy them all" in that neat tone he used in his DKC2 playthrough.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

WestonSmith wrote: 4 years ago Mill Fever music always reminds me of "Can't Buy Me Love" by the Beatles.

I doubt anyone else hears it.
I don't think Can't Buy Me Love in particular but growing up the music there reminded me of the Beatles on some level for some reason. I'm kinda curious why, I should look into that.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Look there are 80-something bonuses in this game, they can't all be winners
Leet

Post by Leet »

Only the second level had redundant bonuses really, the ones in the first (quickly maneuver around the center as squawks, do jumps off a "diving board") had identities even if they were simple.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

I dunno what it is about this game but I'm having a real hard time staying interested in it while I'm watching. The whole atmosphere just feels kinda bland and the level designs aren't impressing me much either.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Dinkiddy Kong crying is really funny for some reason
ImageImage
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

So like, Arich has a unique-ish boss theme in the GBA version (creatively titled "Arich Boss" in the sound test). It's reused for a later boss, too, but the rest of the game all uses the same boss track. Even the final boss doesn't have a unique theme. Because of that and the fact that this is the second boss it always made me feel like they intended at some point to give each boss a unique theme in the redone soundtrack but ran out of time and just used the first for everything.

The GBA version feels like they ran out of time pretty often in general compared to the other two remakes imo. Like, DKC1 and 2 both (for better or worse) added new collectables into levels, had a scrapbook of enemy art and stuff you had to do little things to collect photos of, and so on. But like, DKC3 GBA has none of that, it feels like they spent most of their "new stuff" resources on Pacifica, like, it feels a bit off compared to the other remakes.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Playing it while young, I initially didn't realize that Ellie can drink water while on a floating barrel, although I think I did know how to shoot water (water meter fills up if you jump into the lake) first before I found out about drinking it. Obviously this made the level quite a bit harder. I somehow didn't catch the clue from the banana letters, but then again, this level introduces two distinct mechanics - water cannon and floating barrels - and reviews another, vacuuming barrels with the trunk. When you're young, it might have been a bit much to take in all at once.
FourteenthOrder wrote: 4 years ago The GBA version feels like they ran out of time pretty often in general compared to the other two remakes imo. Like, DKC1 and 2 both (for better or worse) added new collectables into levels, had a scrapbook of enemy art and stuff you had to do little things to collect photos of, and so on. But like, DKC3 GBA has none of that, it feels like they spent most of their "new stuff" resources on Pacifica, like, it feels a bit off compared to the other remakes.
It might also be as I've said earlier because of cartridge space, maybe? Adding

an entire world of levels

is not nothing, and this could explain why neat touches from the original game like

music on life loss, world-exit animation after a boss fight, the scrapbook,

etc. are missing. And I agree that after appreciating the extra collectibles and things to do in the first two ports, as well as extra modes, having nothing in the third is disappointing.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Man, I'm getting excited for

the third bonus room in the first Lost World level

Also wth you went back in and talked to Blunder twice but didn't go back in to see why Brash stopped throwing his fit?

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

World 1 and 2 I think are pretty fun for the most part. The "Mill" set still gives me the dread to this day, but it's had its three levels now.

post-watching-today's-video-edit:
I have mixed feelings on the "underwater" set in this game. On one hand, the graphics are rather pretty, and the music is pretty excellent. On the other hand, the music is the only thing carrying the "dreadful menace" aspect, and

the gimmicks for the other two water levels are among my least favorites.

The waterfall set levels I feel has their share of problems, though. It doesn't really "look", in my opinion. The music is pretty calm and relax, and I appreciate that in that moment in the game.

And then you have moments where you're gonna just fall and fall and fall, and the levels can overstay their welcome due to that; especially when it comes to the last of the waterfall levels in a later world, where the music fails to give a proper change of scenery.

Last edited by Mandew 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
video games
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

The level geometry behind the waterfalls is some of the most jank in the entire DKC series. It behaves really, really strangely.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Untitled Hovercraft Game

Today's video is revenge for all the times you've made fun of Koin so far.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

I always thought the DKC3 underwater theme was reminiscent of Carol of the Bells, honestly, which is not even the most Christmas-y thing about this game! (the aforementioned MERRY code)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Okay, we're just under a third of the way to 100% and I'm not seeing any point to these collectibles at all yet.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet

Post by Leet »

HE'S NAMED BLUE BECAUSE HE IS LITERALLY BLUE
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

I love how you beat the 1st 2 worlds just so you can get a patch Funky could easily just buy @ a store.

Ellie’s weird, how complicated she is. She has the spit & suck mechanic, the ability to vacuum in barrels from far ’way, but she also runs from rats & can't dive underwater. Squitter is the only other buddy that comes close. I guess it’s kind o’ nice as it makes the different times you use Ellie feel different. I only wish “Bobbing Barrel Brawl” came before “Murky Mill”, as it feels easier, emphasizing Ellie’s strengths rather than her weaknesses.

“Springin’ Spiders” is rather mediocre, but much better than “Barrel Shield Bust-Up” & its “dodge monkeys throwing coconuts / acorns / rocks 20 times”. Though I would say it goes too far in the other direction & that the springing spiders aren’t much o’ a gimmick @ all & that this level just feels like a generic forest level. Squawks adds variety, but I don’t feel like he fits forest levels well, & it doesn’t seem like you need him for much, other than flying in an extraneous tunnel with bananas & killing a bee you could easily kill with a barrel if there were 1 round. I love the forest levels’ visuals & music; I just wish they’d made funner levels for them.

I agree with everyone else on the 1st water level: the visuals & music are amazing, but the actual gameplay is just the most generic “dodge moving obstacles”. The next water level will be much mo’ interesting.

Other than the janky cliff end hitboxes & layer confusion, I think “Rocket Barrel Ride” is a solid level. Unlike other DKC3 levels, it doesn’t make the whole level all ’bout the rocket barrels ( which is good, ’cause it’s not an amazing gimmick ), but breaks it up with the Perry section & some general platforming. Also, the bonuses actually use the rocket barrels in a way that isn’t pointless. It actually feels like a DKC2 level to me, but maybe with a bit mo’ exploration, which is an improvement.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The Koin in Rocket Barrel Ride can be defeated without the barrel cannon - you toss the steel keg upwards from about where the barrel cannon is, so it rolls slowly, and then you take the upper path to get across to Koin in time without interfering with the keg.

BTW I wonder if raocow is aware that in this game,

you can use the put down barrel command at the edge of a platform to drop it below, and it will start rolling even more slowly.

Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

I wonder if the botanist considers the banana bird a plant or animal...

Fun facts about Coral!

It doesn't grow in freshwater.
It's closer related to jellyfish and anemones than to other organisms.
coral reefs cover 0.1% of the earth's ocean and support 25% of the marine species.

Oh, and over 50% of the World's coral reefs have destroyed because of human efforts.
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago Okay, we're just under a third of the way to 100% and I'm not seeing any point to these collectibles at all yet.

raocow is past the point where there is a point to the bonus coins, but he hasn't done the required thing to use them yet. I'm guessing he won't twig on the required thing for quite a while TBH.