(shouting)

Donkey Kong Country 3 - Unbelievable type of a situation

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Donkey Kong Country 3 - Welcome to Kanada!

Post by Leet »

I would wildly guess that Skidda might be the enemy that is constantly skidding
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

This bonus is fully idiotic and a big part of why I hate DKC3 more than I probably should. It's literally the only time the water bounce is required*, it's way too precise (you need to start at full speed, not obvious at all that the momentum is necessary), and retries take forever. This was the very last thing I ever got in DKC3, after having mastered all the other levels and found all the bonuses, just because the execution is so much more demanding and different than anything else in the game.

*so there really is no "get better at it over the course of the game" thing, even knowing about it and having practiced it it's just not useful at all in almost all cases
Leet

Post by Leet »

I'm gonna be honest I don't think I've ever done the water bounce. Which suggests I've just never gotten to that bonus, which seems unlikely. I don't know.

If you know about it at all though (is it mentioned in the manual?) needing momentum seems pretty obvious because that's. how skipping stones works
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

"kiddy kong doesnt spell dk"

well in japan his name was dinky kong so
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago I'm gonna be honest I don't think I've ever done the water bounce. Which suggests I've just never gotten to that bonus, which seems unlikely. I don't know.

If you know about it at all though (is it mentioned in the manual?) needing momentum seems pretty obvious because that's. how skipping stones works
It is mentioned in the manual, but that didn't help me much. I played DKC3 at a friend's, and we both were frustrated for literal months with that one last illusive bonus taunting us from plain sight.

I mean, things seem extremely obvious for one person and absolutely "how would you ever figure this out" to others. I suspect there's going to be this exact discussion in the Sonic thread within 24 hours about a certain barrel. Spoilers: I didn't get that one either, but fortunately only got stuck there for one evening on a friend's couch at the ripe age of 21ish (playing the DS port, my first time with Sonic 3), and I could just look it up on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

it's canon that in DKC3 all the DK coins are actually just trash can lids and you hallucinate that they're shiny coins until you collect them and realize "wait this is a trash can lid"
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

DKC3 was the first one I played, at someone else's, but I did so when I was like 3 and thought I'd hallucinated it for a while until I ended up getting DKC1 in elementary school. So I actually finished each game in the trilogy in order.

DKC2 is my favorite of the trilogy and I find it significantly more fun than 3, but 3 is still a fantastic game. DKC3 goes all-out with level gimmicks and gets some pretty creative ones, it's definitely served as an inspiration to lots of games since. As a kid I found the environments less creative than in 2, though. I grew up in Michigan and was like "this is basically exactly like home, I see this every day in real life, it's so unimaginative" though nowadays I'm kinda like "well, I guess these environments aren't actually seen all that often in games."
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I am glad Rare chose to use DKC3 and its banana bird Simon Says caves to add a tribute to that great Swedish musical group, ABBXA.

I didn't know you could do that water skip with Kiddy and I most definitely fully completed the game many times as a kid. I would have to play the game again to determine exactly what I did, though I imagine it involved helicopter shenanigans, possibly coming from the right.

EDIT: No, after looking at it again, I think I helicoptered from the left after clearing out the barrel and the bird.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Just wait till those Banana bird pokemon evolve when they hit level 26.
They turn into Banana beards.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Paragraph wrote: 4 years ago It's literally the only time the water bounce is required
Interestingly, while you are clearly intended to use the water bounce, it is possible to use Dixie to obtain get to this bonus room. That said, water bounce is easier.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

xfix wrote: 4 years ago
Paragraph wrote: 4 years ago It's literally the only time the water bounce is required
Interestingly, while you are clearly intended to use the water bounce, it is possible to use Dixie to obtain get to this bonus room. That said, water bounce is easier.
I tried to pull this off very hard as a kid, but never managed...

But then again, I didn't know about roll/twirl-jumping at all, which is absolutely necessary for Dixie to reach the bonus.

Everyone who didn't remember using Kiddie probably knew about that technique then, or figured it out better than I did!
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Donkey Kong Akira 3 - Welcome to KANEDAAAAA!!!! TETSUOOOOO!!!!!

Post by Awoo »

Man this game's bright and colorful. I can see why people prefer 2, and so far I'd have to agree with them. Technically, it's amazing, but there's something to be said about the combo of Diddy and Dixie Kong that 3 doesn't quite match.

DKC3 should be a lot better than it is. I really can't put my finger on why, but it's just not as good.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

I'm happy raocow appreciates Skidda's Row in world 1. I really love the mix of level themes in this game, and having a snow level so early in the game always felt cool to me.

Also, reading the comments here, I'm surprised so many people love DKC2 but are "meh" on 3. I wonder how much of the DKC2 love is because of the music. I replayed the series in April this year, and DKC2 is pretty rough around the edges, but there's no denying how good the soundtrack is.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

A nice quality of life effect in stilt levels is that if you swim up from the water, you first hit the surface of the water instead of jumping out of it immediately, unless you were already at surface level. It allows you to swim above the submerged wooden walls by gliding on the surface, whereas if you jumped out you would risk hitting the bee above. I don't think this was retained in the GBA port though?

My experience with the GBA port was that there were a bunch of things that the port missed - small things, but those that helped or gave the original SNES version its appeal. Like the fact that

the worlds can propel you to the exit from the end level/boss through a shortcut

. I think the level design of DKC2 is more fun and the vibe more exciting, but DKC3 has its own cozy and scenic landscape, and I find these attention to detail (such as being able to move more freely in the overworld) very appealing. But the port was just a letdown on that very appeal in places. The levels are mostly the same, but those details just didn't translate that well.

It's why I think that for the GBA ports DKC2 is the clear winner of the two. The only major boon to the DKC3 port is that it added

a whole new playable world, Pacifica

. They must have spent all their effort (and cartridge space) on that one thing because it really shows that they cut a lot of corners in other places.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

I just

Really hate babies
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

WestonSmith wrote: 4 years agoAlso, reading the comments here, I'm surprised so many people love DKC2 but are "meh" on 3.
One thing I always found about 2 (which is probably why I always enjoyed 3 better) was that the difficulty curve of 2 is really inconsistent. The easiest and hardest levels are pretty appropriately placed, but there's a bunch of stupidly easy levels surrounded by quite taxing levels in the mid-game.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago I'm gonna be honest I don't think I've ever done the water bounce. Which suggests I've just never gotten to that bonus, which seems unlikely. I don't know.

it is possible to get to that bonus with a coyote jump and Dixie's glide; it's super precise but it's possible.
video games
warpio

Post by warpio »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years agoIt's why I think that for the GBA ports DKC2 is the clear winner of the two. The only major boon to the DKC3 port is that it added

a whole new playable world, Pacifica

. They must have spent all their effort (and cartridge space) on that one thing because it really shows that they cut a lot of corners in other places.
For me the GBA port of DKC3 is valuable not only because of that but also because it has its own completely unique soundtrack composed by David Wise. It's not as dark/atmospheric as the SNES version's soundtrack but it has its own unique vibe that I love just as much.

Like these in particular are among my favorite songs in the entire DKC series. (spoilers in the thumbnails I guess)

David Wise must be some kinda genius musical magician to be able to make such incredible beats on the GBA's primitive soundchip.
Last edited by warpio 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago I just

Really hate babies
While I don't hate babies, everything about Kiddie is kind of infuriating. I can't explain why but every animation, motion, and movement of his just looks and feels annoying. Even though I know he functionally doesn't move that different, mechanically, to make a difference.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

I remember when I would play this game a lot with a friend of mine. there was a time when he would call Koin "Steve" for no reason other than because it was funny. recurring quotes were "Steve is Steve" (often when asked who Steve is or why he's calling him Steve), "Steve likes pizza" (at random. this made me think of Pizza Hut's "Pizza Head Show" commercials), and "Steve is stupid" (I can't remember if this was said when an attempt to kill him succeeds or fails)
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I always took the warp barrel in Barrel Shield Bust-Up when I was playing it while young. It's easy to find, and I found the later parts of the level too intimidating. There were several things I didn't grasp back then about the game and one of them was that you're supposed to climb alongside the barrel as it moves.
warpio wrote: 4 years ago For me the GBA port of DKC3 is valuable not only because of that but also because it has its own completely unique soundtrack composed by David Wise. It's not as dark/atmospheric as the SNES version's soundtrack but it has its own unique vibe that I love just as much.
The GBA soundtrack isn't bad, but if you expected the handheld port to allow you to relive the nostalgia, the OST is a major disappoint because every track is different.

It also replaces the nice scrapbook in the ending with a generic and sloppy scroll of characters in a makeshift DK house.

Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years agoThe GBA soundtrack isn't bad, but if you expected the handheld port to allow you to relive the nostalgia, the OST is a major disappoint because every track is different.
Having done a bunch of GBA hacking, it was a really sensible decision - the GBA's basically incapable of good sounding low tones and the DKC3 SNES soundtrack uses them heavily and the original score would have sounded worse than some of the trashiest SNES to GBA music conversions.

It's still not the same though.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Classtoise wrote: 4 years ago While I don't hate babies, everything about Kiddie is kind of infuriating. I can't explain why but every animation, motion, and movement of his just looks and feels annoying. Even though I know he functionally doesn't move that different, mechanically, to make a difference.
Leet

Post by Leet »

I'd take that over returns bro
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago A nice quality of life effect in stilt levels is that if you swim up from the water, you first hit the surface of the water instead of jumping out of it immediately, unless you were already at surface level.
I wonder if this was tripping up raocow at the first bonus level of Riverside Race.

Also the green bananas are my least favorite type of bonus levels. It's based on RNG and sometimes there can be a large variance on the time it takes to get the next banana. And they only appear one at a time, so if your remaining banana-to-time ratio goes over a certain limit the bonus can become impossible to beat and you may as well restart it.

Also also the way to get the second bonus is

with an invincibility barrel at the bottom-left corner of the pond below the buzzes. Red buzzes can be defeated with invincibility or with a TNT barrel in this game.