(shouting)

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - U R Not Red E

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Re: Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - U R Not Red E

Post by Super Llama »

In case you need it, here's the list of levels that need colored gems to super-clear
Blue:

Rolling Stones, Cortex Power, Jaws of Darkness

Red:

Native Fortress, Road to Nowhere

Green:

Jungle Rollers, Castle Machinery

Yellow:

Lights Out, The Great Gate

Purple:

Boulder Dash

Orange: Doesn't really matter because you super-cleared the only level that uses it.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Watching the gem run of Upstream I just noticed that there were two checkpoint boxes that are only three jumps apart, wow.

They were really being experimental with the 3D platforming thing on early PS1. Was this a time when multiple checkpoints weren't a common thing and they didn't know what to do with them?
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Between this game being generally kind of mean, and raocow's depth perception issues, it really is commendable that he's doing this well. I suspect that his lack of gake overs is in part due to lpadijg states while tryijg for the gems, but that's 100 percent acceptable.

Cortex Power is a nightmare to get all the boxes in. One of the hardest level in the game to superclear. in the remake you can at least keep your checkpoints and you have a box counter. It's still rough, but it's way more manageable
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I'm not even watching this series but this was fun to get a notification for
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

hey raocow here's a fun thing

imagine Slippery Climb, but far worse

That's basically Stormy Ascent, a level that was complete, but dummied out late in development. It was re-added to the remake as free DLC, so it wouldn't actually be too out-there of an idea to play it through gameshark shenanigans at the end of the LP if you're interested.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

"it's not like a I wanna be the Kaizo made by a 12 year old"

He says on the same video as the invisible bridge pieces.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Who could even think that an invisible bridge would be a good idea. again.
ImageImage
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago "it's not like a I wanna be the Kaizo made by a 12 year old"

He says on the same video as the invisible bridge pieces.
pointedly, however, they're invisible bridge pieces with no trick to them. the idea of having to do a long sequence of jumps onto platforms you can't see is scary, but like he said, the game isn't expecting you to trial-and-error through them, just have confidence. the jumps are exactly the type of jumps the player's been doing throughout the game already, with setups that also look pretty friggin' scary, and the whole sequence is really basic when you get past the niggle of doubt the uncertainty gives

it'd be a lot sillier if this game wasn't "don't have any idea how to get past this obstacle? run straight ahead and jump as late as possible!" the game, but, well, it kinda is
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

I TRIED SO HARD AND GOT SO FAR
snapshot.jpg
snapshot.jpg (82.5 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
BUT IN THE END, IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I've never even played this game and I feel like I'm getting traumatized by 100%ing it
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

These levels are the perfect example of making a gimmick and then designing a level specifically to make the player hate it
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

any combination of cycles with timed elements is instantly objectively bad, tbh

don't put cycles in your autoscrollers or advancing wall levels or timed levels or whatever else. they are two incompatible elements. they do not work together and they never will.

anyways yeah you hit enemies into boxes like a half dozen times here woops

there were barely any boxes in the entire level besides at the start and the checkpoints & mask boxes, tho

i assume there's some achievement for beating this entire level maskless in the remake
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago any combination of cycles with timed elements is instantly objectively bad, tbh

don't put cycles in your autoscrollers or advancing wall levels or timed levels or whatever else. they are two incompatible elements. they do not work together and they never will.
this seems just about the same thing as saying "don't put jumping and elevator platforms the same game" considering autoscrollers and cyclical level elements are both methods of controlling the flow of movement in a level

hell in a lot of mario games with user-created content, autoscrollers are the only way to make sure cycles line up exactly as the creator wants them to, as otherwise the timing of when the cyclical elements spawn is determined by the player and not exactly consciously, which can very easily lead to setups getting desynced in ways that break them entirely
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I may have abused landing on sideground spots whenever possible while playing these dark levels.

Unfortunate that these dark levels return in each game of the trilogy. At least they stopped using ghost masks in boxes.

Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

literally everything you just said is wrong so i'm not even gonna bother responding tbh
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

corn cob wrote: 4 years ago literally everything you just said is wrong so i'm not even gonna bother responding tbh
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

ha ha good one arctangent, i love the internet
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

gonna criticize arctangent but not corn cob responding by saying they're not going to respond

Anyway I never like to make posts solely to go on the attack, so here's some elaboration on why this level sucks. Dark levels can be done well, but this isn't it. The number one problem I have is how you're inclined to spin enemies out of the way (it's safer to spin rather than jump when you can't reliably discern where the enemy is relative to you), but if you do that you run the risk of kicking an enemy into the distance and hitting a box with a light mask in it. Thus, you activated it way too early, and it will then run out early as well, leaving you blind. I... don't think the remake fixes this, either.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years agoDark levels can be done well, but this isn't it. The number one problem I have is how you're inclined to spin enemies out of the way (it's safer to spin rather than jump when you can't reliably discern where the enemy is relative to you), but if you do that you run the risk of kicking an enemy into the distance and hitting a box with a light mask in it. Thus, you activated it way too early, and it will then run out early as well, leaving you blind. I... don't think the remake fixes this, either.
On tangent to that, it looks like some of the Crash 1 levels like this level are very two-dimensional. It's mostly about moving forward and occasionally back; there's only trivial amounts of left and right unless you take advantage of spaces in the sideground. So although it's a fully 3D layout it feels like a 2D level, but as a frontscroller instead of a sidescroller. I think the sequels improved the 3D nature a bit on these forward path levels.

I don't know about spinning safer than jumping, though. I find spinning to have the same amount of awkwardness, although it's not too much of an amount, as jumping on things. It's a melee attack and it doesn't last too long, so if you don't get close enough the attack won't connect and you might just run into something and get hurt. The distance is less clear in the frontward perspective.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago gonna criticize arctangent but not corn cob responding by saying they're not going to respond
i dunno if it really count as criticism when it's something that everyone was, at minimum, 99.99% aware of anyway

i mean, strictly speaking, i guess? but it doesn't really feel like it
Leet wrote: 4 years ago ha ha good one arctangent, i love the internet
what's your favorite part of the internet mine is all the nazis and terfs and pedophiles and all the wonderful parts of humanity on public display
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago I don't know about spinning safer than jumping, though. I find spinning to have the same amount of awkwardness, although it's not too much of an amount, as jumping on things. It's a melee attack and it doesn't last too long, so if you don't get close enough the attack won't connect and you might just run into something and get hurt. The distance is less clear in the frontward perspective.
I meant more along the lines of the "it's dark as shit and I can't see what we're standing on" difficulty in jumping on things in front of you

Spinning can be awkward from the behind angle too but I feel more comfy walking forward and spinning when I think I'm close enough than trying to aim a jump in the void.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

"Fumbling in the Dark" is especially mean in that the last checkpoint only gives you a new rutabaga if you die and re-spawn, so if you are going for the gem you basically have to to fumble around in the dark for a bit.

Depth perception in 3D platformers always gives me issues, and one thing with this game that I'm not a fan of is that you rely on Crash's shadow to navigate the whole depth issue, but then they use so many dark or even pitch black elements in the levels to obscure where Crash's shadow is. Still a pretty fun series, though, especially the next couple games.