(shouting)

Have you ever beaten Super Mario Bros. all the way through "legit"?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Have you ever beaten Super Mario Bros. all the way through "legit"?

Post by Ashan »

I've recently been thinking about how difficult Super Mario Bros really is. There's 32 levels in the game, and a single game over sends you all the way back to the beginning. I've obviously beaten it using the warp zone path that only requires beating 8 levels, and if you DO game over you can press A+start on the title screen to only be kicked back to the beginning of the world you were last in.

But I'm pretty sure I've never actually gone through all the levels without a game over before. I've beaten some pretty difficult SMW romhacks, but never gone back and actually completed the original Super Mario Bros without either warp zones or the A+start trick.

Honestly I think for me the biggest thing keeping me from doing it is the level design just doesn't really hold up compared to later games in the series, and also hammer bros are a terrible enemy that I don't like dealing with.

What about all yall?
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Re: Have you ever beaten Super Mario Bros. all the way through "legit"?

Post by Blivsey »

My experience is literally exactly the same as yours: "have beaten hard romhacks, never beat smb1 without warps or a+start because level design and hammer bros suck", so I feel like I have nothing to add apart from a big ol' non-constructive "Same Hat"
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Never beaten SMB. The thing that screws me over is percision platforming required in the later stages. In SMB Mario is the inertia man its hard to get him up to speed, and its hard to get him to stop. In all the later games Mario gains and loses speed much faster. Since spinning became standard in NSMBW, the player has a ridiculous amount of control over Mario's momentum. Platforming is a lot easier these days.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I find SMB handles really uncomfortably compared to all the later games.
Kapus
Master of Hiccup
First name: boogity boo
Pronouns: Vegetable

Post by Kapus »

I've beaten it warpless but not without a+start. The game is actually pretty damn hard.

I now feel challenged though, gonna try it now brb
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i dont think it was designed to be beat in one credit. furthest i can make it is like world 7ish? i choke at the later levels

also only warpless and multiple times. i like smb1 lol
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I wasn't around during the 80s so I don't really know how common the A+start trick was known in the circles of kids playing the game. Like, did it spread around by magazines and word of mouth to the point where it was just common knowledge? I'd just be surprised if all these little kids were able to beat the game normally without knowing it, especially since it was their first time holding a controller for a lot of them.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Have you ever beaten Super Mario Bros. all the way through "legit"? No.

Post by Awoo »

Place down the street from where I work still has an original Super Mario Bros. arcade cabinet. It's laid out a lot differently than the regular game for some reason. I'm kinda tempted to go there again at some point to see if I can even get past 1-4 on one credit since work's been stupid slow this month.

Never did beat SMB on our old NES back in the day. Played it with my sister all the time and the furthest we'd get without the Game Genie was like 7-2 or 7-3.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

I don't think I've ever beaten Super Mario Bros, nevermind beating the whole thing with just a handful of lives. That's one of the things that I probably will have to do at some point just to say "I'm a real Super Mario player".

Though, it's funny because I've beaten a few harder romhacks (JDCGames Collab and K-16 Story of Steel) and survived until world 3 on "Hammer Brother Orange Version" without save states so it's not like I suck. I just suck at SMB in general :mrgreen:.

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
Kapus
Master of Hiccup
First name: boogity boo
Pronouns: Vegetable

Re: Have you ever beaten Super Mario Bros. all the way through "legit"? No.

Post by Kapus »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago Place down the street from where I work still has an original Super Mario Bros. arcade cabinet. It's laid out a lot differently than the regular game for some reason. I'm kinda tempted to go there again at some point to see if I can even get past 1-4 on one credit since work's been stupid slow this month.

Never did beat SMB on our old NES back in the day. Played it with my sister all the time and the furthest we'd get without the Game Genie was like 7-2 or 7-3.
Yeah the arcade SMB is way different from the console game. It's very romhack-esque and has a lot of bullshit "gotcha" traps. I imagine it was designed that way to eat up quarters =P
RudeGuy

Post by RudeGuy »

I don't think it's fair to compare the difficulty of some ROM hacks with SMB1's difficulty. Super Mario World has great physics and most difficult hacks end up being difficult more because of certain obstacles and gimmicks which you need to master. In SMB1, what you need to master are the physics themselves, and due to how rudimentary those are compared to later games, SMB1's physics can take more time to master.

That said, I don't think I've ever beaten SMB1 legit. I might have done it once in the past and forgot it, but I dunno.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Have you ever beaten Super Mario Bros. all the way through "legit"? Not me!

Post by Awoo »

So apparently a local pizza place has an arcade machine of Super Mario Bros. Is there a way to actually get it as an NES rom? It's so familiar and yet has so many "gotcha" traps and I wanna practice with it so I can go there and impress a person by getting at least a little far in it
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah. I did that on the Wii version a decade ago or so. Agreed on the Hammer Bros., especially the ones in 8-3 if you lost your Fire Flower at any point. That was my stumbling block for way too long.
Awoo wrote: 4 years ago So apparently a local pizza place has an arcade machine of Super Mario Bros. Is there a way to actually get it as an NES rom? It's so familiar and yet has so many "gotcha" traps and I wanna practice with it so I can go there and impress a person by getting at least a little far in it.
That might be Vs. Super Mario Bros., and that was released on the Switch!
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: Have you ever beaten Super Mario Bros. all the way through "legit"? Not me!

Post by YelseyKing »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago So apparently a local pizza place has an arcade machine of Super Mario Bros. Is there a way to actually get it as an NES rom? It's so familiar and yet has so many "gotcha" traps and I wanna practice with it so I can go there and impress a person by getting at least a little far in it
If it's Vs. Super Mario Bros, a ROM does exist, and there's even a hack to make it work properly on real hardware: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1014/

And... On topic, I've never beaten SMB1 legit except via Super Mario All-Stars.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Arrietty
Smol like a frend.
First name: Arrietty
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arrietty »

I've only ever beaten it with A+Start. Maybe one day I'll beat it without a Game Over, but... World 7 exists.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I was born in '86, beating games legitimately was the only fun we had aside from going outside
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

me wrote:I've actually beaten it like that with a single death.
That single death was to the very first goomba in the game.
Technically not deathless.
video games
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

Nope, only through use of warps. Didn't know A+Start was even a thing, had to google it before posting to find out what it did.
raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

smb's learning curve is built entirely on how Mario controls. Once you got that down, I feel going through the entire game is actually pretty easy. The levels aren't devilishly tough or anything (unlike 2J's)
video games
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Every once in a while I get the idea that I should go back and try doing it but then I remember that a bunch of the end game levels are just hammer bro after hammer bro and I don't want to deal with that

But i don't know, maybe I will sometime
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

the hammer bros is why the game could be "deathless or bust" around World 8. Keeping your Fire Flower makes everything a ton easier.
video games
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I haven't done it yet but I know of this certain Youtube video games player that did it

(Really though I do have Super Mario All-Stars lying around so maybe I should try it myself)
warpio

Post by warpio »

Am I the only one who thinks the difficulty in world 8 is way over-exaggerated? It's not like hammer bros are a crazy insurmountable obstacle. I've dealt with way worse in various Mario Maker levels.

In 8-3 where they're the biggest nuisance, even if you don't have a fire flower going into it, there are 2 powerup blocks among the first 2 sets of hammer bros, and those are just the regular setup where they're placed on 2 rows of bricks so it's very easy to wait for a safe opportunity and go in and kill them without any trouble... so if you're playing smartly you should be able to get back to fire flower within the level even if you start out with nothing, and then the rest of the hammer bros setups are easy. There's also the hidden 1up at the start which you should be able to get every time. I really don't see how any seasoned Mario veteran could still consider SMB1 too hard.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I did it for my first time today

Although it was the SMAS version and I'm not sure if that's easier

I went from 7 lives to 2 in 8-3 so it was getting pretty tense by the end
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

To my knowledge, the only change made from SMAS is you have world-saves so it shouldn't be any easier to 1CC if you're restarting from W1 on game over anyway
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

There are a couple of small differences like how Mario goes up a bit higher when hitting bricks in All-Stars instead of bouncing off and dropping on the NES, but nah, that's a fair and square finish.