(shouting)

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - U R Not Red E

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - U R Not Red E

Post by KobaBeach »

So begins a new journey. Our bovine friend finds himself at the shores of N. Sanity Island, ready to partake in the wonderful misadventures of circa 1996 marsupial madness. Will he survive the nonsense completionist requirements? Probably not : )

Crash Bandicoot One year later and the gem requirements are toned down. New gimmicks and moves are introduced. Will our bovine friend collect all crystals? Who knows.

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back here he come. the bandicot

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped dragon

Spyro the Dragon (demo)
Last edited by KobaBeach 4 years ago, edited 29 times in total.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
strongbadman

Re: Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - U R Not Red E

Post by strongbadman »

All The Sonic's Ass Games
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Yep, going into the worst version of Crash 1 wacky waving inflatable tube arm man style is gonna backfire something fierce.

The input delay just kills the game, even with emulator cheating , which is what I assume rao will be doing.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

so when the Fuck is klonoa
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

My entire LIFE i've thought it was just this weird face on a wooden card, it was only in this video that I realized it's her hair. I didn't even associate the face on the card with Candy Kong Bandicoot, I think I thought it was like. N. Gin or something
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

They didn't "mess up" the hitboxes in the remake, they just did them differently. The physics are slightly different, too, but a Crash newbie won't even notice anything is wrong, because nothing is wrong! Just another instance of people being picky about their childhood games. I sure didn't feel anything wrong, and I only played Crash like once at my uncle's place when I was a kid.

Also this is definitely a first episode of Crash 1. You'll figure this game out eventually, rao, no worries. I will say this game is definitely built for a d-pad, so if you're playing with analog you might want to consider switching over.

...Woah.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Good timing for this. I never played or seen any Crash until I started with the remake last week, so it will be interesting to see another newbie to the series give it a try.

My experience so far: the game has been somewhere between really really average to frustratingly bad. The game is at it's best when it's being short and punchy with its levels, and you just ignore the 100% goals.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

WestonSmith wrote: 4 years ago My experience so far: the game has been somewhere between really really average to frustratingly bad. The game is at it's best when it's being short and punchy with its levels, and you just ignore the 100% goals.
The sequels are far superior and less demanding with 100%ing.

Crash 1 has the issue of 100%ing being shit? Like I remember Eevee from SMWC literally recommending me not to go for 100% on Crash 1, that it wasn't worth it.

All you get is the canon ending, I think?

Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - WOAH

Post by Awoo »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago Image

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, you had the right idea near the end. Just play through the levels for now and keep on keeping on.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago Crash 1 has the issue of 100%ing being shit? Like I remember Eevee from SMWC literally recommending me not to go for 100% on Crash 1, that it wasn't worth it.

I don't understand why they would choose to lock you out of 100% on levels until you 100% future levels. It's one of the dumbest things I've seen, made worse by the decision to lock you out of coloured gems if you die during the level.

Window Squeegee
Hog with a Blog

Post by Window Squeegee »

100%ing the first game in particular, especially as a newcomer, and especially when it isn't the remake, is definitely one hell of a thing. The remake made things much easier by making it so that you aren't expected to

beat every level getting all the boxes AND without dying to keep the gems, and also lets you save from the map at all times.

Overall, playing the PS1 game in comparison to its N.Sane Trilogy remake is like night and day. And honestly, it fixes a lot of the first-entry-syndrome the game had.

Those later levels will still be very interesting to watch, no matter what. Square shaped hitboxes save no man from Road to Nowhere. The remake also adresses "weren't you captured?" during the bonus round.

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I remember the first patapon vote video where raocow saw footage of Crash Bandicoot Warped and he said he wasn't feeling it, so I'm glad he warmed up to the games over time.

My memory of the series and particularly the first game is quite fuzzy, so this will be refreshing to watch for me despite having played the trilogy.

One thing I really like is the interactions among objects and characters in the levels.

The comical and creative deaths animation

is one of the selling points of the series, and it's interesting that

enemies and objects sent flying with your spin move actually hit other objects

, although it can also mess you up when you try to collect things.
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

I’m confused by raocow knowing bouncing ’tween the blocks from GDQ, but not the fact that masks are hitpoints. ¿Did you just happen to drop into the stream as a player bounced ’tween blocks & then decide to leave to avoid spoilers before masks came up?

The 1st Crash Bandicoot’s an interesting awkward transition point in video gaming. It’s like an arcade-like collectathon, which ’splains its odd strictness when it comes to collecting everything. Obviously, a lot o’ people don’t like this, — & I doubt I’ll e’er 100% this e’en on the Switch version — but it’s an interesting challenge, a’least.

This game probably doesn’t look amazing now, but @ the time these graphics were. Just compare it to Super Mario 64, which came out right round the same time. This is thanks to some brilliant programming &that took advantage o’ the PlayStation’s particular quirks & very careful level & camera design to keep graphical load manageable, which 1 o’ the devs writes ’bout in this blog article.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Crash Bandicoot was also the home of the Quantum Bug, a unique problem in the PS1's hardware that was fixed extremely shortly before launch:
The symptom was that you'd go to save your progress and it would access the memory card, and almost all the time, it worked normally... But every once in a while the write or read would time out... for no obvious reason. A short write would often corrupt the memory card. The player would go to save, and not only would we not save, we'd wipe their memory card.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

he mentioned here he saw the dishban lp of it, so it's possible he remembers some things about crash.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I don't remember anything from that lp so any memories are gonna be la-mulana style
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

how do you people still remember things from like 2013

BobisOnlyBob wrote: Crash Bandicoot was also the home of the Quantum Bug, a unique problem in the PS1's hardware that was fixed extremely shortly before launch:
The symptom was that you'd go to save your progress and it would access the memory card, and almost all the time, it worked normally... But every once in a while the write or read would time out... for no obvious reason. A short write would often corrupt the memory card. The player would go to save, and not only would we not save, we'd wipe their memory card.
What if something in our setup code was messing up the timing somehow? I looked again at the code in the test program for timing-related stuff, and noticed that we set the programmable timer on the PS1 to 1kHz (1000 ticks/second). This is relatively fast; it was running at something like 100Hz in its default state when the PS1 started up. Most games, therefore, would have this timer running at 100Hz.

Andy, the lead (and only other) developer on the game, set the timer to 1kHz so that the motion calculations in Crash would be more accurate. Andy likes overkill, and if we were going to simulate gravity, we ought to do it as high-precision as possible!
Eventually, I noticed that the errors happened when someone was playing with the PS1 controller.
He called me and, in his broken English and my (extremely) broken Japanese, we argued. I finally said, "just let me send you a 30-line test program that makes it happen when you wiggle the controller." He relented. This would be a waste of time, he assured me, and he was extremely busy with a new project, but he would oblige because we were a very important developer for Sony. I cleaned up my little test program and sent it over.

The next evening (we were in LA and he was in Tokyo, so it was evening for me when he came in the next day) he called me and sheepishly apologized. It was a hardware problem.
im crying this is so funny i need to send this to my boyfriend
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

He did it, he said the thing (timestamp)

Glad to finally see the B side to All the Sonics, Sonic's Ass Game 1.
I find it so interesting how everything in this game seems very foreign to raocow, and how he always makes comparisons with Mario stuff (Like calling the bouncy boxes "springboards")
ImageImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I do suspect that there's some influence from games of Mario and DKC genre, as if this was PlayStation's answer to those games.
Although, generally even when you're in a sidescrolling segment, you're still using 3D controls, which means pressing up or down still responds.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

The game will taunt you regardless of level.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Game only taunts you if you clear a level without dying or getting all the boxes. Makes sense.

...Man, all these Naughty Dog vibes are making me want to play Jak & Daxter, and also maybe want to see rao play Jak & Daxter (?)

Also we've seen Crash's victory face so I am obligated to post this
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I usually try to 100% games but I think this would be one of those games I pass on trying to do that. Sort of like the original Assassins Creed and its million different flags hidden throughout the vary expansive game world.
A rao lp of Jak and Daxter would be pretty awesome.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i'm totally up for raocow playing jak and daxter, but only the first one, don't really think 2 or 3 would be much his jam
i've honestly never played a video game in my life