(shouting)

Donkey Kong Country 2 -- A New Wind Blows

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- I Passed

Post by Leet »

Fun squawks facts! There's a bug you can do by going over Screech and taking a hit at exactly the right time to skip activated the race and then you can just play the level normally. This is how I beat the level as a kid
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

At least Stronghold Showdown serves as a free exit out of K. Rool's Keep if you return to the world.

About the GBA port. I played it in full, and it's a decent attempt at being faithful to the original game in the handheld platform, while also having some neat additions, chiefly the minigames. But the port ended up making some bad decisions through these minigames:
Funky's Flights now hosts a minigame, whereas his flight service to leave the current world is in the Start button menu. Before you can use Funky's service you need to win in his minigame in Gangplank Galleon. If you go to another world without having done this, you don't have access to his service until you go back to world 1 and do this. This can actually get you stuck in a later world.

You can't leave through the boss stage either if the boss is already defeated. Instead Swanky has a boss refight challenge where you try to speedrun beating the boss. The refight is a nice idea, with Swanky giving you a bunch of lives for beating the target time, but then the next time you need to beat your own record to get lives again.
Leet wrote: 4 years ago I think panic over not being able to take one's time
I can kind of see that.

Toxic Tower is a challenging late game level, sure, but I don't think it's exceptionally hard like I've heard some say. But when I was really young playing DKC games there were times I was at the same spot for several minutes to try to get the timing perfect for the obstacle ahead. I felt like I had to get through the level in this attempt, like I couldn't afford to make a mistake and lose a life at all when that wasn't actually the case (I also was more afraid of taking a hit than falling down pits, due to the psychological effect of seeing a kong get hurt). Given such tendencies, being forced to move fast would put a lot of stress on you when you're young.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago Fun squawks facts! There's a bug you can do by going over Screech and taking a hit at exactly the right time to skip activated the race and then you can just play the level normally. This is how I beat the level as a kid
You don't even need to take a hit if you're precise enough,
the reason why you can skip the race is simply because the trigger doesn't extend above Screech.
ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago
Funky's Flights now hosts a minigame, whereas his flight service to leave the current world is in the Start button menu. Before you can use Funky's service you need to win in his minigame in Gangplank Galleon. If you go to another world without having done this, you don't have access to his service until you go back to world 1 and do this. This can actually get you stuck in a later world.
I originally thought this was the case, but when gathering footage for the review I did of the GBA port recently,
I learned that if you visit Funky in any world other than World 1, you get access to the Gyro-copter for free.

Good thing they thought of this too!
If you were to complete the game without ever getting it, you'd be permanently stuck in any world that you entered.
Imagine beating K. Rool and then entering a world to get secrets you missed, only to realize you're softlocked!
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc

Post by Falky »

Technical Programmer
Also I noticed the SNES controller in the background of K. Rool Duel was the American one whereas the PAL version had the PAL controller, quite surprised they'd bother changing that.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Falky wrote: 4 years ago Also I noticed the SNES controller in the background of K. Rool Duel was the American one whereas the PAL version had the PAL controller, quite surprised they'd bother changing that.
Not the only change actually
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc

Post by Falky »

Thanks, didn't notice the others. The hole in the door seems a strange change to make.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- Sparring

Post by Leet »

This boss is so bizarre. I remember the brutal mario version feeling bizarre but attributing it to just being jank but no it's pretty much the same
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
warpio

Post by warpio »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 4 years agoSo, now that I think ’bout it, maybe it’s just that the 6th world is always lackluster in DKC games — ’cause, it’s definitely the worst in DKC3, e’en if the 7th world has the world level.
I guess Tropical Freeze breaks this curse because the 6th world in that is by far the best part of the game, with amazing music that rivals the best parts of DKC2 and phenomenal atmosphere all throughout.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

warpio wrote: 4 years ago
J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 4 years agoSo, now that I think ’bout it, maybe it’s just that the 6th world is always lackluster in DKC games — ’cause, it’s definitely the worst in DKC3, e’en if the 7th world has the world level.
I guess Tropical Freeze breaks this curse because the 6th world in that is by far the best part of the game, with amazing music that rivals the best parts of DKC2 and phenomenal atmosphere all throughout.
hells yes tropical freeze

for DKCR I can't decide which is worse between World 6 or 8
video games
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Whenever I hear people talk about this game's OST, like raocow said,
they usually mention stuff like Stickerbush Symphony or Forest Interlude.

But for me, the best track of the game is the Credits track, Donkey Kong Rescued.
I don't know what it is about it, but it sounds so unreal to me.
It doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard in any other game.

By the way, off-topic here but am I the only one who always saw those sacks in the background of K. Rool Duel as really big peanuts?

Like, as a kid, because of the Rareware Bananas being in the back,
I just thought K. Rool really liked giant food for some reason.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

MonkeyShrapnel wrote: 4 years ago am I the only one who always saw those sacks in the background of K. Rool Duel as really big peanuts?
Me too.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Poor Candy Kong died between games 1 and 2 apparently
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

B. Gunn did the programming for a pirate game. Sounds about right.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago Poor Candy Kong died between games 1 and 2 apparently
She was sent to the upstate retirement home for awkardly sexualised platform game mascot girlfriends, along with Tawna Bandicoot and Madonna
Leet

Post by Leet »

Cranky's dialogue in the ending gave me a sudden flashback to BOTVGH and i hope to god i'm not the only one here who read that as a kid
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Who knew DK was part of the racist Ku Kong Klan?
I think world 6 in DKC3 is decent but it has one really bad level due to sheer length. Other than length that level is still decent in my opinion. It's ridiculous to expect players to play a reasonably difficult level where each half of it is still longer than most entire levels.

Also the boss is ridiculously difficult in my opinion. It was one of two wall levels for me as a kid along with the lightning level in the final world. (Though I've come to realize that while I still don't think it's a great level, the lightning level isn't actually half as difficult as I used to think.)
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

world 6 in dkc3 gives me dread because of its overall lack of tones and all the aesthetics there are kind of depressing to exist within

Barbos was kinda boring

I like the ow map though with the chairlifts and being kinda just hidden in the shades of the cliffs

most of what I remember is levels being absurdly long and on top of that wanting you to take your time and it's like bleh
video games
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- I Passed with flying Kolorz

Post by Awoo »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago Who knew DK was part of the racist Ku Kong Klan?
I think world 6 in DKC3 is decent but it has one really bad level due to sheer length. Other than length that level is still decent in my opinion. It's ridiculous to expect players to play a reasonably difficult level where each half of it is still longer than most entire levels.

Also the boss is ridiculously difficult in my opinion. It was one of two wall levels for me as a kid along with the lightning level in the final world. (Though I've come to realize that while I still don't think it's a great level, the lightning level isn't actually half as difficult as I used to think.)
The "Kredits" segment from the first game didn't tip you off? nyoro~n
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

Mandew wrote: 4 years ago for DKCR I can't decide which is worse between World 6 or 8
I thought ’bout mentioning Tropical Freeze as an exception, since I think the vast majority agrees that world 4 is the worst; but I was mainly thinking o' the original trilogy.

For Returns, I would consider world 8 worse, since a’least world 6 has the kinda interesting dinosaur & oil motif, while world 8 is a pointlessly cliché lava world all for a pointlessly cliché final villain. World 6 has the world temple level, though — with an autoscroller where stuff falls from offscreen followed by an elevator section where you just bounce round dodging bees, it's like Retro was trying to make a boring & irritating level on purpose.
Alice wrote: 4 years ago I think world 6 in DKC3 is decent but it has one really bad level due to sheer length. Other than length that level is still decent in my opinion. It's ridiculous to expect players to play a reasonably difficult level where each half of it is still longer than most entire levels.
I was going to say that I didn't think world 6 had any good levels in it, but then I looked it up & found out that world has “Ropey Rumpus”, which I thought was in world 5. World 6 still has autoscroller with li’l room to dodge enemies before they suddenly jump onto screen, “Kong-fused Cliffs”; “Buzzer Barrage”, where those same stupid enemies just fly into you from offscreen out o’ nowhere ( ¡E’en if they just left from the other side! ); & “Floodlit Fish”, which is basically just an e’en worse version o’ “Glimmer’s Galleon”.

I don't consider a level the worst just ’cause it's super hard, nor do I give a level a pass for being not the hardest. These levels may be easier than “Lightning Lookout”, but e'en that had something memorable ’bout it. These levels are not only irritating, but just dull. As Mandew said, they're almost nothing but brown, ’cept for a water level that looks just like all the other water levels. A’least world 7 had some interesting-looking jungle & riverside levels.
Alice wrote: 4 years ago Also the boss is ridiculously difficult in my opinion. It was one of two wall levels for me as a kid along with the lightning level in the final world. (Though I've come to realize that while I still don't think it's a great level, the lightning level isn't actually half as difficult as I used to think.)
For those who remember I mentioned world 7 having the worst level — believe it or not, I wasn't referring to “Lightning Lookout”.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 4 years ago I was going to say that I didn't think world 6 had any good levels in it, but then I looked it up & found out that world has “Ropey Rumpus”, which I thought was in world 5. World 6 still has autoscroller with li’l room to dodge enemies before they suddenly jump onto screen, “Kong-fused Cliffs”; “Buzzer Barrage”, where those same stupid enemies just fly into you from offscreen out o’ nowhere ( ¡E’en if they just left from the other side! ); & “Floodlit Fish”, which is basically just an e’en worse version o’ “Glimmer’s Galleon”.

I don't consider a level the worst just ’cause it's super hard, nor do I give a level a pass for being not the hardest. These levels may be easier than “Lightning Lookout”, but e'en that had something memorable ’bout it. These levels are not only irritating, but just dull. As Mandew said, they're almost nothing but brown, ’cept for a water level that looks just like all the other water levels. A’least world 7 had some interesting-looking jungle & riverside levels.
Personally I actually enjoy Kong-fused Cliffs and Buzzer Barrage, though I do agree that it's a bit annoying in some spots. I'd completely forgot Floodlit Fish was even a thing. I wouldn't say that one is bad, just not as good as it could be. Also agreed on Ropey Rumpus. I always mix that one up with another similar level but I'm pretty sure it's Ropey Rumpus that I like more. (And is one of my favorite levels in the game.)
For those who remember I mentioned world 7 having the worst level — believe it or not, I wasn't referring to “Lightning Lookout”.
I'm gonna guess that it's Poisonous Pipeline ? If so then I agree that that one isn't terribly great either. It'd be a lot more tolerable if jumping out of the water wasn't such an issue.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

I got an ever-mounting itch to play DKC2 again as raocow's LP progressed, and yesterday I finally dusted off the SNES Classic and started the one "extra" ROM I had put on it so far.

After another session this morning, I'm at the end of World 5 and yeah this game is still insanely good. I did a few things I've never managed to pull off before - find some bonuses, for example, and just CRUSH the Lost World levels sans the final one (well, let's see...), and I'm super happy that I could obliterate some of my childhood walls, and even "last time I replayed it in my early 20s" walls.

Even managed to get both goal DK coins first try (I did savestate but I didn't need it).

Random impressions:
- many of those "impossible gauntlet" levels aren't actually long at all when you can, just, DO jumps and don't have to struggle with each and every enemy
- somehow didn't find the last bonus of Glimmer's Galleon and spent ages trying to find an Enguarde in the first section I could have sworn was there but wasn't; I thought that was because there's a banana in front of a wall that looks destructible, but the banana's only there to signal an extra life that's invisible under it, BUT its hitbox seems to be a little fucky, so I didn't get it the first time and then, when I deliberately went for it a third time, not again
- Bramble Scramble is still tough as heck
- I really hate the jump to the last secret in Haunted Halls
- Kudgel is still the worst fucking boss God it's so boring
- when you're at an appropriate skill level, Jungle Jinx and Klobber Karnage turn from utter nightmares to extremely fun levels

Now on to the final world!
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

Alice wrote: 4 years agoI'm gonna guess that it's Poisonous Pipeline ? If so then I agree that that one isn't terribly great either. It'd be a lot more tolerable if jumping out of the water wasn't such an issue.
Fun fact, I didn't get the level gimmick as a kid and couldn't figure out how to progress until I accidentally pressed a direction when I put the controller down, being about to give up.

It's such a dumb level.
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

Watching raocow absolutely dumpster both K. Rool fights was cathartic, to be honest.

They're all pattern memorisation but hahahaha, it feels good to watch.
Mandew
d'yo

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- Pounding the Pavement

Post by Mandew »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 4 years ago
for me it's actually Koindozer Karnage
video games
Paragraph

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- Pounding the Pavement

Post by Paragraph »

Congrats on trouncing those final challenges. Hope it goes even half as well for me.

I loathe DKC3 because I played it more than DKC2, due to it being way more readily available (I borrowed 2 from a few friends who always wanted it back too early, but I played the shit out of 3 with a buddy I saw like every day for two years). It's way inferior in almost every aspect, but I especially hate the big downgrade the level design got: there's almost no flow in any of its levels, instead they opt for timing challenge after timing challenge with the gimmick of the day, and it gets tedious, samey and boring very quickly.

IMO

Also there's some secrets that still haunt me to this day, like the single one in the first world where you have to be able to pull off Kiddie's water roll jump perfectly, and yes I too didn't get for months that Poisonous Pipeline reverses your controls and was stuck there.

But anyway that's in the future but don't expect me not to bitch about it again!!!