(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: One Or Two Silvanas - Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - I Feel Like Some Apple Pie!

Post by raocow »

of course I have to play the whole game. there's like two to three unique lines of text per opponent !!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: One Or Two Silvanas - Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - I Feel Like Some Apple Pie!

Post by Leet »

this is actually a weird reverse effect from harry hatswin. in that game i see things i want you to do that you don't do, but in this game i can't get nearly as clear a sight of what's going on than when i'm actually playing
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I was seriously super looking forward to this and I still am, so at the very least one person is going to be enjoying watching!

also "accidentally letting things pile up too much while focusing on combos" is totally the true puyo puyo experience

also also I love these games so much

also also also I had a dream once where I was at an academic conference and the speaker gave a presentation on why this game has objectively the best story in video game history and I was so upset I was like "this game has a total excuse plot, this guy has probably only played like two games if he thinks this is good writing why is his research being published" and why am I rambling about this
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

this is belated as it's about pinball, but, a query for the pinball knowledgeable here:

how is Pinbot for the NES?

I ask because (I) it's a conversion of an actual physical pinball game (with added elements), (ii) it's by Rare, and (III) I vaguely recall renting it back in ye olde halcyon days of renting NES carts from the video store and having an absolute *blast*
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I tried playing puyo puyo like one time at a video game barcarde where they had puyo puyo tetris for Switch and I had no idea how to do anything. And once again watching this now I still have no idea what a good strategy would be. It's a weird game.

I'm not good at tetris either though, so what do I know
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: One Or Two Silvanas - Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Mean Mean Mean

Post by Awoo »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago
pingas
PINESS

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet

Post by Leet »

i'll turn dr. von schlemmer's dream machine into a PINGAS machine
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

even though i own kirby's avalanche and have fond memories playing it as a kid, i will forever argue the pc engine version is best console post of puyo puyo (though i kinda wish it got a fan translation)
Last edited by SAJewers 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

SAJewers wrote: even though i own kirby's avalanche and have fond memories playing it as a kid, i will forever argue the pc engine version is best console post of puyo puyo (though i kinda it got a fan translation)
Here's my attempt at a translation of stages 1-12, some stuff may be off like Witch's cutscene, feel free to retranslate it if you want!
Draco:
D: You there! If you want to go through here, you'll have to get through me!
A: Get through you?! Do you mean, a beauty contest!?
D: Heheh~ To think that you can even begin to rival my good looks... No way in heck!
A: Good looks, eh? Not counting your horns and tail, you mean?
D: GRRAHHH!!! Shameless for you to think I'd be blind to my own faults!
A: Ho~hohoho!
D: Come, I'll take you down to Puyo Puyo hell!

Suketoudara:
A: Er... Excuse me...? Pardon? Acting like you're not listening, you dancing fishface?
S: Who is it?! Who is the one getting in the way of my dancing?!

Sukiya Podes:
S: Heheh~ I've been waiting for you!
A: Gah! What is that huge foot!
S: Gasp! Gasp! Gasp! You shouldn't have said that! Take this! My special attack, The Special Great Wonderful Thirty Mon Kick!
A: Hold it right there! If you're gonna attack me, do it in a Puyo battle!

Harpy:
A&H: (singing incoherently)
A: Uh, this isn't the time to be singing! You there, I'll defeat you in battle!

Sasori Man:
S: G'd aftahnoon, s' nice ta meet ya!
A: Huh? Ah, noon.
S: Ah'll be yer opponent fer t'day, ma'am. Name's Sasori Man.
A: Just call me Arle.
S: S... So ya say, eh? Let's git stahted!
(comment: i have no idea how to translate a kansai accent)

Panotty:
A: ?
P: Why aren't you dancing!
A: I have no idea what you're talking about!
P: C'mon now, didn't you hear me? You were just listening to my song!
A: Okay, fine, excuse me!
P: Refusing to dance to the tune of my flute is UN-FOR-GIVABLE!
A: Let's battle then!

Zombie:
A: It reeks! The stink of raw garbage is all over the place!
Z: GRAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
A: GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Z: I CAN'T LET YOU GO PAST THIS POINT!!!!!!!!!!!

Witch:
W: Ho~hohohoho! What a fool you are to come here, an absolute mormon- moron I mean!
A: It's been going pretty well for me so far!
W: In that case it's better I turn 360 degrees, make like a tree, and vamoose! Ho~hohohoho!

Zoh:
A: Pardon, I'd like to come through here, if you don't mind...
Z: Grrr... My grounds are off limits, phant!
A: What's with you, ya cheapskate!
Z: Oh, calling me a cheapskate are you?! You will regret this, phant!!! Feel the power of my rage that makes even Indians dance, phant!!!!!!

Schezo Wegey:
A: What are you doing here?
S: I am here for your body!
A: Excuse me!!!! Is- Is that so??? It's just that I'm still so young, and my heart isn't really ready for that sort of thing yet, but... If you're really set on it, I guess we could...
S: You- you sure you're not misunderstanding this?
A: Pardon?
S: What I am here for, is the magical power your body holds!
A: ...How careless of me! You there, so that's your goal?!
S: Once I get a hold of your powers, I the great dark magician, Schezo Wegey, shall become the ruler of Puyo Puyo hell!
A: What?!
S: Let's go!

Minotaur:
M: Mooooooo!!!!
A: Hold it right there, cowboy! Cows like you shouldn't be wielding sharp objects like that! Use it properly!
M: I am here under miss Rulue's command! Also, I am not a cow! I am the great Minotaur! You'll regret calling me a cow! I'll slice you to shreds!
A: Wh- Stop it right there! Let's battle in Puyo Puyo hell, how's that sound?
M: Like a cow of a time! Uh...

Rulue:
R: My lord Satan is mine, and only mine. Turn back if you don't want to lose!
A: Rulue?
R: I'll never allow you to go past me! Satan is my love, and his hand will be mine in marriage!
A: Satan?
R: Don't play dumb with me! I'll never forgive you!
A: Uh, pardon?
R: Don't bother asking any further questions! If you wish to meet my darling Satan, you'll have to defeat me!

Satan:
S: Oh? So you have endured my trap all the way through and made it here, have you?
A: Th- Those lines!
S: Hmm... As espected of someone who made it out of Puyo Puyo hell!
A: It's you! Santa!
S: THAT'S NOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A: Santa, so you were the one behind all of this!
S: Yes, but my name's not Santa!
A: Eh, I- Is that right?
S: Yes it is!
A: Nevermind that, why have you done this?
S: Hmmhmmhmm... Simply, so I had something to do!
A: Really?!
S: Now for you to be buried in the depths of Puyo hell and to spend the rest of your days rotting in it!

Ending:
A: I- I won!
N: And so... FOR NO REAL REASON, PUYO PUYO HELL!!!!!! IS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I was a fan of Puyo Puyo Tetris on the Switch. That's about the only experience I have with these games outside of one other quick instance. Fun stuff. Look at what's coming, quickly figure out what you want to do with it, and get your moves in before the computer blocks you.
Count Mohawk

Post by Count Mohawk »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago S.S.S.S.S. SQUAD
ARRES.S.S.S.ST HIM
(it might even work)
You bet your ass my gizmo works!
(Maybe)
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Count Mohawk wrote: 4 years ago
Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago S.S.S.S.S. SQUAD
ARRES.S.S.S.ST HIM
(it might even work)
You bet your ass my gizmo works!
(Maybe)
IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO

I'M GONNA CATCH THAT BLUE BABOON
The Hero Hartmut
First name: Garreth

Post by The Hero Hartmut »

I push this button...

I said, I push this button...
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc

Post by Falky »

Voltgloss wrote: 4 years ago this is belated as it's about pinball, but, a query for the pinball knowledgeable here:

how is Pinbot for the NES?

I ask because (I) it's a conversion of an actual physical pinball game (with added elements), (ii) it's by Rare, and (III) I vaguely recall renting it back in ye olde halcyon days of renting NES carts from the video store and having an absolute *blast*
It's pretty good. I find the way it scrolls somewhat jarring, but it makes sense in that they wanted to keep the flippers visible at all times. Rare also made a NES version of High Speed with the same engine. Both feel nice enough to play and while they obviously added stuff that they couldn't do on the real machine, all of the rules from the real thing seem to still be there. I've played both of those tables a fair bit on The Pinball Arcade but if you don't have them on there already it's too late now with them losing the Williams licence. Pinball FX 3 has The Getaway: High Speed II, which is basically the same playfield as High Speed apart from the addition of the Supercharger. None of the Pinbot series yet though. I'd imagine somebody's probably made a version of them for likes of Visual Pinball or something.

But yeah, NES Pinbot is a fun little game.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

liking that this is the second LP this year to feature the inexplicable introduction of a bean-themed locale where the inhabitants are also beans
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago Here's my attempt at a translation of stages 1-12, some stuff may be off like Witch's cutscene, feel free to retranslate it if you want!
I mean, the original Puyo Puyo was finally localized to the west in the Switch's SEGA AGES series, though of course they'd probably change some things up.

Like called Harpy 'Dark Elf'.

But anyways, mister the cow, here's something you can do to maybe make your life easier in this game. Try to focus grouping the puyo in sets of 3, and then whenever you get the 4th one, put it on top of the set of 3 right above it. That's probably the easiest way to look at chaining. Granted in this game, you don't really have to go anywhere above 5 chains to screw the CPU, so if you consistently at least do 3 chains, you could probably pressure them enough to win.

JUST GET OUT THERE AND WIN THE RACE.

Who has the most?
Count Mohawk

Post by Count Mohawk »

The best way to learn how to do chains is to learn how to build them up one tier at a time.
Start with learning the 2-chain: it's the base-level attack and the easiest to visualize (put a single row in between what would otherwise be a match and then pop the intervening ones).
You may need to bust out some 3-chains to beat the later stages, though, as the higher AIs are better at digging themselves out of garbage.
Anything higher than a 3-chain is basically guaranteed to kill the opponent, since there's no "countering" in Mean Bean Machine the way there is for later titles in the Puyo franchise.
Good luck remembering how to play! (And find a way to MAKE ME HAPPY~~~)
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

Mean Bean Msachine retains a bug from the arcade Puyo Puyo (and its nearly pitch-perfect Mega Drive port) that prevents AI opponents from manually dropping blocks if the D-Pad is held down on a second controller.
Leet

Post by Leet »

As a kid I could only ever get to level 3 of this. As an adult I had a lot more luck with PuyoPuyo 2 but I haven't actually went back to this game in particular to try again.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

I'm kinda worried about this one. Since Arms and Sparky handed it to raocow....and knowing how brutal puzzle games can get...
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Katazuki wrote: 4 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago Here's my attempt at a translation of stages 1-12, some stuff may be off like Witch's cutscene, feel free to retranslate it if you want!
I mean, the original Puyo Puyo was finally localized to the west in the Switch's SEGA AGES series, though of course they'd probably change some things up.
Thing is is that the PC Engine version includes a special "Super Trashtalk mode" with an entirely new script for the cutscenes that's only in the PC Engine version and not the Arcade original (or any of the original console ports). The regular script has almost certainly been translated, but not the PC Engine-only script that was added for some reason.

You can see a difference in the cutscenes between the video posted above (the super trashtalk version) and this one (the regular game)

Last edited by SAJewers 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

also also,
lp makes me wanna try out puyo-puyo type games
video games
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

I once told my 9 year old nephew, in all sincerity, that I was really bad at this game and he would probably crush me. I genuinely thought he would.

He was not happy when I beat him because I accidentally got a big combo. He didn't wanna play again.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Mandew wrote: 4 years ago

also also,
lp makes me wanna try out puyo-puyo type games
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/games/fra ... monogatari
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.