(shouting)

Donkey Kong Country 2 -- A New Wind Blows

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- This Guy?

Post by YelseyKing »

Hmm. Stickerbush Symphony... I *like* the song, but it's not my *favorite* track in the game... I think I like "Lockjaw's Saga" (the flooded ship hold music) the best. It's just so frantic.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 4 years ago Actually, many dictionaries list “kwā” as a valid pronunciation, though it’s not the main 1 & isn't the original pronunciation, & I think that may be dictionaries accommodating common mispronunciations.

It should be no surprise by now that English pronunciation has no logical connection to spelling & that every new word you see can have any arbitrary pronunciation, which is why I’d learn I’ve been pronouncing words like “paradigm” wrong for years e’en into my 20s.
Although I'm not sure that anyone actually understands US dictionary transcription (including users of US dictionaries hence their tendency to provide pronunciation quays on every page, in contrast to dictionaries which use IPA), I assume ā is meant to represent /eɪ/. In that event, it is indeed common to represent common non-standard pronunciations in dictionaries (Merriam-Webster, for instance, offering "purdy" as a alternative pronunciation of "pretty", though I'm not sure I've ever encountered this particular pronunciation outside of Looney Toons).

Nevertheless, I imagine the pronunciation of "quay" as /kweɪ/ would be most common in places where "quay" is a word mostly read and not spoken, which, I believe, would include the majority of North America, which almost universally prefers "wharf" in modern parlance. For my own part, I grew up in a place where "Circular Quay" was a well-known city landmark, as well as the final stop in one direction on the bus line I rode most often, in addition to the place you would go to to catch ferries destined for all parts of the harbour, so I was well-acquainted with the pronunciation of the word as "key" long before I had ever seen the name written. This is the typical case with most living words, though it does not entirely account for "forhead"'s zany and madcap journey to /fɒɹɪd/ and back again. Sometimes people do indeed trust what they read over what they hear.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

that reminds me, someone made an interesting genesis take of stickerbush symphony

i'm always interested in hearing how music would sound if it were on another platform
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

It's amazing how much better the "minecart" levels are in DKC2 than in pretty much any other game. They pretty much succeed for the same reason any other fun autoscroller does: you always have something to do, and it varies constantly. Also, everything is super well telegraphed.

Next time: the level kid me was stuck on for years (because I never owned a cart myself, borrowed different ones, played up to there, and got stuck).
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- 200 Yen

Post by Piesonscreations »

Watching today's video made me think that it'd be cool to see raocow play Diddy Kong Racing, but then I also thought, has raocow ever played a racing game? Haven't really seen many racing games LPs (or any, for that matter.)
ImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

the giant kremling statues make me Feel Things
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Wikipedia wrote:Hornets (insects in the genus Vespa) are the largest of the eusocial wasps
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

bridge on the river quay

Hot take no one asked for: I think both Stickerbrush Symphony and Disco Train are unimpressive and overrated (though the SSB Brawl version of Stickerbrush Symphony is a masterpiece). I also didn't realize people liked Miming Melancholy so much - for me that song has always been just sort of there. None of them are BAD, certainly, but they're just...not really noteworthy, I think.

Snakey Chanty and Flight of the Zinger slap super hard though
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago Watching today's video made me think that it'd be cool to see raocow play Diddy Kong Racing, but then I also thought, has raocow ever played a racing game? Haven't really seen many racing games LPs (or any, for that matter.)
I've heard people claim that modern 3D Sonic plays practically like a racing game, and it's not at all wrong, so he may inadvertedly end up playing a racing game anyway, and thus could do DKR!!!

As for the soundtrack, I couldn't tell you my favorite piece, they're all amazing and have completely different moods. I'm personally lukewarm on Hot-Head Bop and don't like Disco Train much (not my style, it's a great piece tho and fits perfectly), but it doesn't really matter. For highs, I sometimes like Lockjaw's Saga more, sometimes I remember playing a certain loooong later stage just because it has Krook's March.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- 500 Yen Coin

Post by Awoo »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago bridge on the river quay
Bridge on the river kawaii
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

Paragraph wrote: 4 years ago
Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago Watching today's video made me think that it'd be cool to see raocow play Diddy Kong Racing, but then I also thought, has raocow ever played a racing game? Haven't really seen many racing games LPs (or any, for that matter.)
I've heard people claim that modern 3D Sonic plays practically like a racing game, and it's not at all wrong, so he may inadvertedly end up playing a racing game anyway, and thus could do DKR!!!
I mean, there are actual Sonic racing games with Sonic in the title, so he's going to end up playing a racing game at some point.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- ¥1

Post by Awoo »

10204307 wrote: 4 years ago
I mean, there are actual Sonic racing games with Sonic in the title, so he's going to end up playing a racing game at some point.
Wasn't

Sonic R

on the tentative list? I'd be surprised if raocow doesn't end up playing it considering what he's already played so far. Waku Waku Patrol Car was kind of a racing game except it lacked the whole arcade cabinet experience.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

It's ALL the sonics. He will play all of them [at least once]
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- ¥1

Post by SAJewers »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago
10204307 wrote: 4 years ago
Wasn't

Sonic R

on the tentative list? I'd be surprised if raocow doesn't end up playing it considering what he's already played so far. Waku Waku Patrol Car was kind of a racing game except it lacked the whole arcade cabinet experience.

yes, he confirmed Sonic R in the patapon spotzone. no idea on sonic drift or sonic and sega allstars racing

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

soon all threads will merge into all the sonics.

and then sonichaus shall rise
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
moogy

Post by moogy »

the answer to the music debate is simply that every song in DKC2 is a masterpiece
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I agree with the above, though I must admit Stickerbrush Symphony never stuck out to me until they remixed it in SSBB as well.

Edit: raocow, were you holding forward and run while making those track jumps? I don't remember if those make a difference, but maybe try next time.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I think he was holding forward because I tried without it and the kongs just stop moving at all once the coaster disconnects.

I always found the jumping off cart mechanic to be kind of odd; when you jump, even if you're not trying to, you move in parallel with the vehicle - until it despawns. The cart jumping with you feels more intuitive.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago I think he was holding forward because I tried without it and the kongs just stop moving at all once the coaster disconnects.

I always found the jumping off cart mechanic to be kind of odd; when you jump, even if you're not trying to, you move in parallel with the vehicle - until it despawns. The cart jumping with you feels more intuitive.
This is probably why all the "cart" sections in DKC 3 are always jumping with the cart instead of off of it.

Also, can I just say that the kart levels in this game just ooze personality?
Between the excellent music, the weird looking skull karts with ruby eyes,
the rickety looking wood frame with splinters and damage,
the fireworks going off in the background, it's honestly one of a kind.

Last edited by MonkeyShrapnel 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago soon all threads will merge into all the sonics.

Demo and Sonic are both blue for the most part and both have a single eye. It won't be that big a change.
ImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- ¥5

Post by Awoo »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago soon all threads will merge into all the sonics.

Demo and Sonic are both blue for the most part and both have a single eye. It won't be that big a change.

Soon, the ritual will be complete :demo:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- House of Evolution

Post by Xenesis »

This was a most excellent session of rao missing the obvious.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

That's not quite what I meant with Bramble Scramble being a huge difficulty spike (heh), but raocow died enough "normally" to the Squawks section to validate me as well so all's good.

(the DK coin is also bullshit tho)
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Paragraph wrote: 4 years ago That's not quite what I meant with Bramble Scramble being a huge difficulty spike (heh), but raocow died enough "normally" to the Squawks section to validate me as well so all's good.

(the DK coin is also bullshit tho)
How so?
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Pass-through walls that look like damage walls are atrocious design, even if you include a hint system... even that lovely music can't offset how bad that it is to me.