(shouting)

Donkey Kong Country 2 -- A New Wind Blows

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- Subterraneans of Darkness

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Honestly, pretty much everything involving speed, agility, reflex-based dodging, and climbing is significantly easier with Diddy. As is the final boss, to a lot of people's surprise. Dixie's helicopter spin is a super-useful tool, but it's a bit of a beginner trap to become too reliant on it, as it's simply not a cure-all--it's quite slow for one, and not really a precision tool in a lot of circumstances. Dixie is good if you need extra distance to your jump or a slow descent; when more mobility is required, Diddy is your man. In fact, it looked to me as though raocow did a lot better in Jungle Jinx when he had Diddy in the lead--this is not surprising, as a lot of the obstacles there seem more Diddy's field of expertise.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Diddy also swims faster afaik, and is generally the character of choice for speedrunners due to his other movement advantages, but for a casual player, it's mostly noticable in the water (and Dixie doesn't have any advantages there).
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- Subterranean Animism

Post by Awoo »

What the hell is this and why is it in my recommended feed from this video

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

I always loved how hilariously artificial that “lava” water is.

On the other hand, “Lava Lagoon” has the kind o’ out-there clever gimmick that most platformers ne’er think o’ ( & sadly, the Returns games ne’er get close to this kind o’ creativity ).

I'm surprised raocow finds “Jungle Jinx” to be so much harder than the other bonus levels, as I think most people would consider it easier than all the others by a wide margin.
I can’t wait for the law o’ irony to cause raocow to breeze through “Animal Antics”, “Fiery Furnace”, & “Black Ice Battle”.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

"hot water is basically lava" is one of those few abstract liberties this game takes. I would lie if I said that this, in particular, didn't make me raise an eyebrow for a bit P:
video games
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- Unidentified Fantastic Object

Post by Awoo »

lavalavalavalava!
:catplanet:
Oh, man, someone speaks my language! :rao:

Lava, why must you be such a harmful creature?

It's dangerous to be exposed to hotness when mining for oooorrrral...A mixture of ore and oil
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Grounder wrote: 4 years agosame will go for kiddy in dkc3

kiddy was so superfluous, cranky and funky were playable in freeze and not him
Personally I preferred Kiddy to Dixie. She's useful for her floating thing but Kiddy just feels more mobile in general otherwise. Same with Diddy in DKC2, though in DKC2 I prefer to play as her over Diddy in most situations.
J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 4 years agoI'm surprised raocow finds “Jungle Jinx” to be so much harder than the other bonus levels, as I think most people would consider it easier than all the others by a wide margin.
It's pretty much par for the course for raocow. If it's easy he's going to inexplicably struggle with it a weird amount. If it's hard then he'll struggle with it a lot less than the easy stuff. I dunno why it's like that for him but he's fairly consistent about it.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

story:

as a young child, red-hot ride was a level I could beat. For years, I was never able to get past this level. It was only until years later, as a much older child, that I presumably was able to realize the steam made the balloon go up (or something), and finally beat the level.

Like, everyone talks about how hard the brambles levels are, but for me, this level as a kid was "the super hard level".
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- Itch Explosion

Post by Leet »

When I was a kid I thought the hook-throwing guys were throwing socks. I also thought that squawks was throwing peanut butter cereal and that's still what it looks like
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

I'll be honest--I've played this game inside-out, and I had no idea you could defeat Krunchas by throwing you friend at them until this playthrough. It's something I absolutely must have tried as a child, but somehow I must have come to the conclusion early on that it just makes them angry like jumping on them does, and never tried it again.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i want to remake the vip4 balloons but not shit sometime
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote: 4 years agoI'll be honest--I've played this game inside-out, and I had no idea you could defeat Krunchas by throwing you friend at them until this playthrough. It's something I absolutely must have tried as a child, but somehow I must have come to the conclusion early on that it just makes them angry like jumping on them does, and never tried it again.
It's possible you held up when throwing. If I recall correctly, that actually does act as if you'd just jumped on them.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Something I really enjoyed about the DKC1 let's play was how the videos had large chunks of continuous flow without too much editing needed. Although there may be more editing required in the sequel due to higher difficulty, this tendency is still prevalent in this LP too. It really allows me to get immersed in the games I've known since childhood, and this was quite apparent in both of the mineshaft levels where there was a pause in commentary but the gameplay was still going.
J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 4 years ago I'm surprised raocow finds “Jungle Jinx” to be so much harder than the other bonus levels, as I think most people would consider it easier than all the others by a wide margin.
I find the level hard, or at least not comfortable - I might even rank this second to

Animal Antics

in the Lost World. I just didn't like the feeling of getting crushed by the giant tires pushing you into walls or landing on you, and it wasn't apparent at first that the tires had a rhythm that naturally fits with your forward movement.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I super love this game, easily one of my favorite platformers. However, I must insist that the save system (costs money, not available immediately in every world) prevents it from being "perfect"

Also, Rattly is superior to Winky for the reason mentioned by someone earlier - in addition to his extra abilities, Rattly doesn't have the super awkward "where is my landing hitbox?" issue that Winky does.
Paragraph

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- Saitama

Post by Paragraph »

Sincere lol at the Cranky implanting a coin into Rambi theory

As a kid, Kleever was my first big wall (after I realized, like someone else, that the balloons rise with the hot air features), mostly because I just kept panicking - he's terrifying!

I love the swamp levels in this game, they're usually great fun. Though the part with the moving barrel at the end of the Bayou is super nasty, and has cost me many lives, and indeed I did game over there once, after finally surmounting Kleever. That felt bad. Even worse when on my next attempt I realized I'd have to get through another level, big and spooky and under water. No, I did not realize that I could have just gone back to World 2 and saved, then flown to World 3.

These meta-design aspects beyond just the levels are often a bit overlooked when watching the game in this format; it's easy to forget how the game "normally" flows on console, when raocow can just pick up from a save state again, and also is usually just...good at the game. If you're struggling and don't quite get the optimal ways to handle things, just where in the world the Kong Kollege finally unlocks can be making or breaking your entire day's play session!

Oh, and one more positive thing to end on: most people hate SMW water levels (I know raocow doesn't) because they're slow, you can't kill enemies, etc. - well, DKC2 has always handled the Water Problem super elegantly, imho: this is afair the only level in the game where you're always (with the final room to allow you a standardized goal jump excepted) under water. All the other mainly water levels have to dip in and out, allowing you moments of free-flow gameplay, killing enemies, and so on. It's imho quite brilliant and also something the new king of platforming (for me), Rayman Origins, excels at.
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

I think the thing about Jungle Jinx is not so much that it's hard, but it's a really janky level for an otherwise really polished game. There's so many ways for those tyre spawns and ledge lips to really screw you up unexpectedly due to slight timing/movement shifts even if you've got reasonably precise platforming like mr. cow.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Me and my brother have a thing when we're playing the 2-player competition-y thing where on the bayou levels we mess with each other by saying like "remember the foreground" and that sort of thing. There are plants and stuff that you usually don't notice because they just blend in and add to the aesthetic but they can be really distracting if you're thinking too much about them.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

this track might be my favouite of dkc2.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Anyone else thought that the symbol on the rotatable barrel was a G at first?
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

As a kid, the lack of easy saving and movement between worlds made the game very stressful for me; rather than inhabiting the map freely I was forced to manage the resource of coins to save or backtrack. It's one of the reasons why I preferred DKC3, which was a much more comfortable game to exist in even though the levels were still hard.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

raocow: "Insects, they don't really think."

Bees: Are able to communicate distance and direction to resources through dance.
Source: Biology of the Dance Language by Fred C Dyer https://msu.edu/user/fcdyer/pubs/DyerDanceRev.pdf
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

but do they think, or is this more like biological programing
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

I never thought about it until now, but the whole scared of the boss thing is probably a reference to Battletoads.

Dixie's is practically the exact same!
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago but do they think, or is this more like biological programing
Depends on how you define thinking.
Clearly the bee is doing information processing. It makes judgements based on complex inputs of the food source and then makes outputs of behavior.
It's not inflexible since the bee is able to change its behaviors as food sources change. The individual bee can adapt to different food sources, you can even use Pavlonian conditioning to train individual bees on a stimulus, basically you can get them to stick their tongues out based on a scent if they associate that scent with a food reward.

Human thinking is many tiers above bee thinking though, since humans are able conceptualize abstract ideas. They are conscious of their own consciousness, and understand that other humans are also conscious of their consciousness. I don't think bee colonies differentiate very well between apiarists checking in on them and other large mammals.