(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by KobaBeach »

Replaying Arc the Lad II. First beat it last December. It's still pretty good. A huge improvement compared to the really simple, unbalanced first game actually! I love this game a lot!
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Whew, Touhou 11's gonna be a thing to 1cc. Stages 1-3 are fine, but it gets crazy from there (and even stage 3's tough compared to that of other games). Much harder than 10 overall; you get lives way more frequently but the game compensates with the difficulty. I made it through once with continues to be able to practice the stages, but I just know stage 5/Orin is gonna end a lot of runs. Utsuho doesn't seem as bad as Kanako to me, though. More straightforward dodging rather than gimmicky patterns like Kanako had.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago...feel like I need to shift onto something wildly away from puzzles for a bit.
Human Resource Machine! It's a goddamn programming game. It's the same sort of assembly-level programming you'd see in a Zachtronics game like Shenzhen IO or TIS-100, wrapped up in a darkly cute Little Inferno aesthetic. One level literally has you producing Fibonacci sequences - I thought I'd escaped those after my last programming exam-interview. It's good, but I'm not sure I'll see it through to the end - too much of a Busman's Holiday for a programmer.

Supraland! Now this I was not expecting to be what it is. What I thought this would be was some kind of cute third person game a little like Pikmin, wandering around solving quests as a little off-brand Lego man. This is wrong! It's a First Person title, and a Metroidvania with Portal-esque puzzles. The shop description makes this bloody clear by the way, I was gifted it and didn't realise. Now this is an odd one: it starts very slow, as does your character. The first two hours feel like every mediocre Portal clone or first person puzzle game you've ever played. On top of this, there are annoying enemies and your only attack (initially) is a weak-ass sword, which feels like Minecraft or Skyrim in terms of how floaty and awkward it is. However, once your first few new items add up - initially a speed boost, a triple jump, and eventually a ranged attack - it starts to flow a lot better. Once you get further mobility powers, the game world opens up drastically and you'll begin to reconsider the world design and geometry, which initially seems slapdash and haphazard but ultimately forms a genuinely great design. It just takes a few hours to get there! And once it does, man, I am jazzed to have 100%ed it. It gives you all the tools you need and then some, and the puzzles are juuuust taxing enough to make you feel smart without ever being too hard and forming a serious roadblock. On top of that, the whole thing was designed and made entirely by one guy, so it's super impressive on that front. TL;DR - Pros: world and puzzle design, exploration; Cons: combat and slow start.

No idea what to play next. Finished Supra on Sunday and haven't started anything new since, just been playing DDR and Warframe as always.
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I really wanna play Zachtronics games.

Started SaGa Frontier 2 again and I'm currently just grinding Arts a bit at the start to have an easier time later down the game, considering how frequently it throws Points of No Return at you. Got most of the staff arts, trying to do bow now.

Meanwhile I'm at White House in Arc the Lad 2. Not the White House, just a White House.
It's 白い家 (shiroi ie), not ホワイトハウス (でチョー大変).

Arc the Lad 2 has a really somber, dark story and I love it for not holding back.
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Haven't had time to start Three Houses yet, so my Fire Emblem time is with Heroes again. Having a pretty good half-year anniversary event going on right now with all these rewards they're handing out like candy.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Monster Boy and The Cursed Kingdom is a great Metroidvania and any Metroidvania fans should play it.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years agoI really wanna play Zachtronics games.
You should definitely give it a shot. I've played quite a bit of both TIS-100 and Shenzhen I/O and they're both quite fun. The only issues are that sometimes your goal isn't explained clearly enough. Also the pseudo-assembly the games use is extremely inferior to actual assembly which makes many tasks far more tedious than they should be. It's good for learning though. It made me think a lot more about how the code I write in actual programming works under the hood. (Opus Magnum is pretty fun too but it's fairly different from those other two.)
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 4 years agoI really wanna play Zachtronics games.
You should definitely give it a shot. I've played quite a bit of both TIS-100 and Shenzhen I/O and they're both quite fun. The only issues are that sometimes your goal isn't explained clearly enough. Also the pseudo-assembly the games use is extremely inferior to actual assembly which makes many tasks far more tedious than they should be. It's good for learning though. It made me think a lot more about how the code I write in actual programming works under the hood. (Opus Magnum is pretty fun too but it's fairly different from those other two.)
Opus belongs to the same subsubsubgenre as Codex of Alchemical Engineering, SpaceChem and InfiniFactory, automated spatial manipulation/arrangement of objects to split and combine. TIS-100 and Shenzhen are both signal processing/calculating programming games. Zachtronics definitely has a niche, but even within that niche there's surprising variance.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I started Majin Tensei, and while it's not too graphically impressive I have had a lot of fun so far. I got to Scenario 7 (Out of 52, I think so I have a long way to go) Since I am not good at deciding names for characters I had someone else name the Hero and Heroine. So they're named Vylon and Edelgard respectively.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago Monster Boy and The Cursed Kingdom is a great Metroidvania and any Metroidvania fans should play it.
Ended up finishing it today.

This game is amazing and roaocow totally needs to lp it.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Went through that one back in the spring. It takes a short bit to get going, but once it does, it's on. Really enjoyed that game.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

hngngngngnngngngn Made it to the first visit to Forles (For-less) in Arc the Lad 2 yesterday, i.e. Lieza and Gogen's part of the Journey. Saved Leets from some monster bandits

and Leets saved Lieza and Gogen from the Ramul jail because the citizens of Ramul are prejudiced against the beast whisperer "witches" of Holn

. Heading to Holn now that we have Gogen to remove the magic powered boulder blocking our path.

Finished Elc's arc by escaping from the White House

and having Elc get in a mind break induced coma due to Mariel being made into a human bomb in an attempt to stop him and make him into a Chimera

and taking up shelter in Touvil thanks to Arc's gang's help, and started the Chimera Research Lab arc by attempting to steal an aircraft to reach Romalia as Shu and Shante.

Shante gets flung off of the battleship due to high winds and attacking military and ends up washing up on Clenia Isle, helping Gruga save his adoptive daughter from Romalia's goons after they came after him for winning the tournament, hoping to harness his skills for a Chimera. Shu flies off in the Hien to Houfion, in the outskirts of Romalia, but that's not until later.

Image Image
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Touhou 11's down! Had an almost flawless run up until Utsuho. She's honestly not that hard, but my nerves were shot at this point and I made dumb mistakes, haha. If you want, you can download the replay here (or see my other ones by searching GenesisJames): https://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=45884
If you watch it, keep an eye out for that amazing death the moment her last card ends! Start the replay from Stage 5 though as SA has a glitch where Utsuho's fight gets desynched if you start directly from Stage 6. Super happy to have this done. On to the next one!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Finished the Main Chimera Lab in Arc the Lad 2

and offed Gallarno's Chimera form

. I'm at Greyshinne, the game opens up a bit due to the Martyr Plan arc after this.... But I'm gonna play some Shining Force first.

Chapter 2 is pretty tough according to a guide I looked up. I hope it's just the first battle... Gonna grind a bit to upgrade my weapons at least. The zombies are assholes :c

I grinded a bit at the start so my characters are a wee bit overleveled but I haven't beat the game before this, so I'm gonna play cautiously.
Managed to make Gong actually useful by doing so, which is good!

Characters I have are:
Max (renamed David, because he's the self insert)
Lowe (adorable little weenie)
Ken
Luke (also really adorable i want to give him a noogie)
Tao (the most useful character thus far)
Hans (also really good)
Gong
Gort (best name)
Mae (kaiji-ass pointy chin)
Khris (furry!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
If I could do it and I wasn't penalized for it I

don't know if I could forgive the King of Alterone. Bowing down to fascists in the false hope that they'll be nice to your kingdom? No Dignity

GenesisJames wrote: Touhou 11's down! Had an almost flawless run up until Utsuho. She's honestly not that hard, but my nerves were shot at this point and I made dumb mistakes, haha.
Utsuho isn't that hard of a boss compared to Touhou 12 late game and Kanako, she's mostly there for mindgames.
Her last card is really just a matter of keeping your cool.

Orin and Stage 5 are the true motherfuckers.
Image Image
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago Utsuho isn't that hard of a boss compared to Touhou 12 late game and Kanako, she's mostly there for mindgames.
Her last card is really just a matter of keeping your cool.

Orin and Stage 5 are the true motherfuckers.
Definitely agree that Kanako is harder overall. Utsuho has the intimidation factor down, but most of her attacks are just straight dodging, while Kanako requires some tricky movements and misdirecting. Looking forward to how Touhou 12 stacks up!

I had a nearly perfect run against Orin, but I lost a life on her last card by running into her fairy just as it reanimated again :'(
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Actually brought out the 3DS again and went through River City: Rival Showdown, a remake of the original River City Ransom. It was all right, but you definitely need a guide to get the best ending. Even with one, I think I just got the normal one since there's also a time limit deal going on here, and I missed a few key events.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I forgot to mention but I played some DoDonPachi yesterday.
Gave myself a leeway of three continues (four credits, basically) and got to just before the Stage 5 boss.

Boss 3, Stage 4 and Stage 5 are just a huge skill wall for me, I can do Boss 4 if I just zone out.
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I never really got much into any FPS games, but I've had my eye on Doom 2016 since it came out to positive reviews. I suppose one of the major things keeping me from getting into shooters is that I don't care much for competitive multiplayer games, and that's what the genre is for the most part. But Doom reviewed well specifically for its single player campaign (and from what I've heard, the multiplayer is incredibly lacklustre) so that's right up my alley! There was recently a pretty good sale on it where I got it for like $8 or something, likely to get people like me to finally pull the trigger on playing it and get us to buy the upcoming sequel.

I'm somewhere between 6-7 hours into the game and it's been a lot of fun so far! The combat really keeps you on your toes, platforming and movement feels good, there's neat customization elements, etc. Overall a good time! The writing is also pretty good, and the world design is nice to look at. Would recommend!
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago But Doom reviewed well specifically for its single player campaign so that's right up my alley!
Once you're done with Doom, I can't recommend Titanfall 2 enough for the same reasons. That campaign is a masterclass of game design.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Getting around to Marvel's Spider-Man. Seems to be a 3D collectathon with chase sequences and group battles for the most part. It's fun enough, but I still think my favorite's going to be the first PS1 game when it's all said and done. I do like how fast you can swing around the city though.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Been playing a bit of Age of Empires II HD now that they apparently finally fixed the lag problems. Had a fair bit of fun but I'm not the biggest fan about how the remake's AI players are far more aggressive than the old ones. Not that it helped them any. In my first game last night I managed to hold them off until the imperial age and by that point my defenses were too strong for them to actually get through so I just started focusing on picking all the npcs off one by one.

Today's game was a bit better. Played with a good friend of mine and we made a pretty good team. My usual play style largely involves focusing on units that are good at taking out other units. His play style apparently has him building a ton of rams and horses. So I'd go in and get a landing zone setup and start dropping off a ton of war wagons (Korean special unit) and he'd bring in some horses and a ton of battering rams. He'd take down all the buildings while I'd hold off the enemy units.

And we had naval superiority too because for some reason the AI builds a shit load of fire ships and basically nothing else. As it so happens, the Korean unique boat unit is rather resistant against fire ships. A fleet of three of those turtle ships, three galleons, and three fire ships could take out a surprising amount of enemy fire ships before the last ship finally sank.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Made it to near the end of Chapter 3 in Shining Force, the Laser Eye battle. No idea how I'm gonna beat this. Might get some help from an FAQ orz. I'm probably missing something painfully obvious. Maybe I'm meant to wait until the Laser Eye clears the whole bridge before moving?

Also started Popolocrois Monogatari (The Story of Popolocrois) yesterday. Really fun, charming game. I did just a normal run yesterday until near the end of Chapter 1 and it's really good. Now doing a run where I actually read the dialogue (JP only). The game controls like a mix of turn based with tactical with you moving your party around to attack enemies. It's kinda like Legend of Heroes - the Gagharv Trilogy and the Trails subseries - in a way.

If you don't mind the whole "is in Japanese" thing or you can read Japanese, do play it. Maybe the sequels, Poporogue and Popolocrois Monogatari II? I have no opinion on those yet. There is a PSP remake of sorts that was translated into English but it also somewhat changes some plot elements and isn't as expansive due to fitting Monogatari 1&2 in one game. Do check that out if you're interested!

I plan on checking it out once I'm done with the PS1 games. I actually started it before, but felt like I was missing out by not playing the PS1 games, hahaha.

Also I kind of have a fear of games skipping text boxes without allowing me to read it first (SENGOKU TURB YOU PIECE OF SHIT) so I keep pausing the emulator with every new textbox which is kinda funny.

Haven't played Arc 2 or SaGa Frontier 2 in a while, sorry.
Image Image
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I played through the Adventure Mode of Mario Tennis Aces thanks to the free trial thing.
It was pretty neat.
I found the first three bosses to be a lot harder than the last three.
Luigi was also surprisingly easy.
I had a harder time against Blooper.
It's a very mechanically solid game, I just wish there was more for single player content.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Bean wrote: 4 years ago Getting around to Marvel's Spider-Man. Seems to be a 3D collectathon with chase sequences and group battles for the most part. It's fun enough, but I still think my favorite's going to be the first PS1 game when it's all said and done. I do like how fast you can swing around the city though.
The PS1 Spider-Man game is god-tier; gonna play the new one soon, hope it stacks up!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

GenesisJames wrote: 4 years agoThe PS1 Spider-Man game is god-tier; gonna play the new one soon, hope it stacks up!
It definitely did a better job on traversing areas. Spidey's movements are very fluid and eventually effortless to pull off. Combat is a mixed bag since I think they go a bit overkill on fighting groups at times, but it's still pretty fun overall. Guess that's the difference between playing through a game and going for 100% on it though.

If you do get around to playing it, I totally recommend doing side quests and optional stuff here and there between story missions. Whether you choose to do some or all at once is your call. Either way, I'd give the game a pretty good B+ rating. It had some spots where it dragged, but I enjoyed it more than I didn't, and I'm not even much of a Marvel guy. In fact, this was the first Spider-Man game I beat since the first movie one way back in 2002. This PS4 one's definitely better than that was. Ha-ha.