(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario's Keytastrophe: Rebirth Edition

Post by Sebby19 »

Since it's unlikely raocow will shlep back to use his 50+ Chuckle Beans (and 10 Hoo beans), here a list of what he missed:

E. Gadds items:
-First, the Power Grip that he did get today. It was originally supposed to be an Energy Tank, given by Samus. The remake replaces this with the Secret Specs (a Virtual Boy), allowing you to see outlines of invisible blocks
-Next would've been the

Cobalt Necktie

, which doubles your Stache. It was originally a UV Lamp, given my Captain Olimar and his Pikmin.
-The last reward would have been the

Game Boy Horror SP

, and was always planned to be given by E.Gadd. It finally gives you access to enemies rare item drops, but cuts off access to their regular drops.
Last edited by Sebby19 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

So yeah, imagine how rough it would be to do a battle at low level on a time limit! Roy was walling me earlier today, but I eventually did some sweet high-level gameplay to get past him.
Equip Luigi with a badge that gives him a POW boost at the beginning of battle, then lower Roy's DEF with Thunder Bros. Then use Swing Bros. as Mario because it uses Luigi's POW, and Super Cyclone Bros. for its high power and chance to stun targets. Then, once Luigi's POW boost wears off, let him die and revive him, which actually gives him back his boost! Repeat until Roy dies, and get really really really good at reading and dodging.
Also, some of these fights are different in the remake! I'm sure a certain someone is listing those differences, which I'm grateful for, but I gotta shout Ludwig out because it's hilarious. He throws a huge magic attack, then several tiny magic attacks while the huge one floats through the air. You have to survive the smaller attacks right up until the big one is close enough to smack back. If you miss it, it explodes and instakills you. If you hit it back, it explodes and instakills Ludwig.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

raocow also missed the 8th unique Bros. Attack: Cyclone Bros!
A hammer based attack, Luigi shrinks Mario. Mario then spins in place. Luigi jumps on Mario with his Hammer out, the they both spins toward their target, hitting them multiple times. What's unique here is that you can use the D-pad to change target mid attack!

Here a run down of all the advance versions, seen and unseen:
-Advanced Splash Bros.: Does less damage than the regular, but more if the foe is Spiked
-Advanced Bounce Bros.: Mario and Luigi split up in the air, allowing you to attack 2 foes at once. It's a weak attack though, even if both bro hit the same enemy twice. Executing is also extremely hard, worst attack in the game
-Advanced Chopper and Advanced Knockback Bros. are changed into infinites, the attack keeps going until you mess up (remake puts a limit on this, grumble)
-Advanced Fire Bros. is switched from a mutli-hit attack, into a single giant attack. Mario spikes the big fireball like a volleyball.
-Advanced Thunder Bros. is switched from an attack-all that inflicts DEF-down, to a single-target attack that inflicts POW-down. Luigi is baried into the ground, then uppercuts below the enemy, releasing a friggin lightning bolt from below.
-Advanced Swing and Advanced Cyclone Bros. add a finishing move to the end of the regular version. Advanced Swing Bros. specifically lets you steal the common/rare drop from the enemy.

It's a darn shame we didn't get to see most of this. They are the highlight of the game.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

By the way, Bowser's Castle is my favorite theme in the game. Here's the remake. Both versions are SO GOOD

LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Wow, this was a long video. When I saw the video length I was wondering if he went and fought all 7 Koopalings, and he sure did. I actually remember things from this part of the game, though given what part of the game this is that's probably not a surprise.

It looks like raocow had a lot of close calls with the enemies here, including one point (at about 28:48 in the video) where he would have gotten a game over if not for the fact that the Great Force gets disabled if the bro. with it isn't standing.

Also, when Luigi failed to defeat one of the Magikoopas (at around 33:20) that was because he had been inflicted with a POW reducing status effect. It is pretty subtle though, which is kind of surprising when this game is usually pretty good about making it clear when you've been inflicted with a status effect.

Anyway, here's raocow's bonus stat allocations. Now featuring one of the bros. reaching +50 in POW from level up bonuses.
The first number is the total increase, the first set of brackets show level up bonuses, and the second set of brackets show bonuses from drinks.
Mario
HP +17 (+3 +2 +2 +3 +3) (+4)
BP +7 (+2 +1) (+4)
POW +49 (+2 +1 +1 +1 +3 +2 +2 +4 +1 +3 +3 +4 +3 +3 +4 +3 +4 +1) (+4)
DEF +8 (+2 +2) (+4)
SPEED +3 (+3)
STACHE +31 (+2 +2 +4 +4 +4 +3 +2 +2 +3 +5)

Luigi
HP +7 (+5 +2)
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +50 (+1 +3 +1 +1 +4 +3 +1 +2 +2 +1 +2 +3 +2 +2 +2 +3 +1 +3 +2 +1 +5 +4 +1)
DEF +6 (+2 +4)
SPEED +7 (+4 +3)
STACHE +28 (+1 +2 +5 +5 +2 +5 +3 +4) (+4)

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Found a compilation of all the Bros. Attacks, including how they look in the remake
As my last (non-spoiler) advise regarding the final boss:
-She's a difficulty spike. Prepare to Game Over mutliple times.
-First time took me a half hour. I predict it might take you 15-20 minutes at your power level, but that's ignoring Game Overs.
-No checkpoints
-And if you think the emulator is breaking, that's normal. It's supposed to do that.

(Mod edit: Right after you come back from a week's ban for repeated spoilers/backseating, you do it again... That was your last chance.)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Something weird I found while watching.

During the Wendy fight, how did Luigi go from 60+ health to 0? Happened twice. It says he only took 36 damage each time, but it's like he lost twice as much health (while Mario lost the normal amount and got heavyweight status added to him).
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Awww...you didn't go get the second special prize from Hammerhead Bros. :(

Remake notes:
  • So I didn't mention this before, but the item menu is much more organized. There are four tabs in the Item menu: The Mushroom contains regular consumables, the Bean contains Beans you've collected, the Bean Juice contains the Bean Juice you made, and the Key stands for key items.
  • You finally got the Power Grip! And this is one of the things that gets replaced in the remake. What the Power Grip does is allow you to hold the button when you're defending with hammers without having to time it, so counters are much easier. Because in later games this is done automatically, the remake added it and replaced it with the Secret Specs, which looks like a Virtual Boy (much like the Power Grip looks like a Power Glove). It basically shows hidden blocks.
  • As noted by Blivsey, Bowser's Castle gets a 3D model in the remake, along with a swirly dark aura.
  • Ah, the Koopalings. Soooo, that scene introducing them is cut from the remake. The reason for this is they play a big role in Bowser's Minions, which consequently changed their plot appearance and relevance. They serve as the bosses in the side game, alongside Fawful and the Elite Trio. Plot for them is: They're initially on the hunt for Bowser when Fawful intercepts them. He attempts to brainwash them with a gas he's been using to convert Bowser's minions to his side, but after they resist, he uses a stronger gas to enthrall them. (This gas is used in Bowser's Inside Story) Captain Goomba has to defeat them, which frees them from the brainwashing and makes them join the Goomba's cause. The normal ending of Bowser's Minions has Captain Goomba meeting "Bowser" who suspiciously tells him to "destroy" Mario. In essence, that's what replaces the cutscene here: Essentially, the Koopalings aren't attacking the Bros. under Bowletta's orders, but Captain Goomba's.
  • Gunner Guy looks like a regular Snifit (the Shy Guy pushing him also looks like a regular Shy Guy), and the Hammer Bro looks like a regular Hammer Bro from later games.
  • Boos only kind of operate on the rules of Boos in the remake. I didn't understand their behavior at all. Plus their models got changed to fit more recent Mario and Luigi games.
  • All the Koopalings have some dialogue.
  • In Iggy's pre-fight, if you screw up, the game resets you after you've been made dizzy, not before. That said, the controls while dizzy are consistently inverted controls (horizontal becomes vertical, and vice versa).
  • Magikoopas do death screams when they die, which is a weird distinction.
  • After the Koopalings fights, you get free heals in the original. The remake removes this because of the Heart Blocks (which are free heals), a few of which are found in the castle.
  • Those gray doors are green in the remake, so they're easier to see.
  • Iggy in the remake looks more distinct from Lemmy, per later designs of him. Iggy gets green hair.
  • The Mechakoopas in the electrical puzzle are replaced by the mecha mice from the Hooniversity. The final one in that puzzle also doesn't just stop and wander around. It just slows down and saunters over to the end of the platform.
  • Ludwig's fight is a lot different. Instead of an actual fight, you have basically a "can you counter?" test. You have to hit back all of Ludwig's projectiles after he fires a giant Spirit Bomb at you. Eventually, you have to hit that ball back at him, which insta-kills him. (If you fail to hit it back, it's game over).
  • The time bomb dialogue is changed, because it's Roy explaining how the mechanic works. Also, it's only said once. Finally, the time bomb explodes after you beat the Koopaling, just in a harmless manner.
  • Roy drops a Bowser Fang, which is a very powerful badge (and more powerful than the nerfed Mush AA). Ludwig drops a Bowser Fist, about as powerful.
  • The Boos are much more powerful. You can only hit them for single digit damage. That said, they have low HP (like, around 15?). Their theft ability is also much more consistent (though counter moves are left alone).
  • In any room that requires a barrel, there's a reset switch in case you screw up.
...Now that's a list.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago Something weird I found while watching.

During the Wendy fight, how did Luigi go from 60+ health to 0? Happened twice. It says he only took 36 damage each time, but it's like he lost twice as much health (while Mario lost the normal amount and got heavyweight status added to him).
Luigi got hit twice in each.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Should note that the Koopaling's appearance here is the first time they've been used in like a decade. And it would be another decade for them to appear again (in NSMB.Wii).
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago And it would be another decade for them to appear again (in NSMB.Wii).
It was 6 years later, not a decade.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

"I don't know why I'm so terrible at this."

Late game bosses are likely to hit you a few times the first few times they attack. So, you will probably make a mistake or two before you start dodging the attack consistently. Being a glass cannon means that you are heavily punished for taking damage, but it also means that the fights are short, so you don't really learn much of the boss or enemy patterns.

While Wendy Game Over'ed you by hitting you with her strongest attack four times, here you obliterated Wendy with 2 attacks! Had you got a GREAT! on your Advanced Splash Bros you might have killed her in one hit. Heck, if it got a LUCKY! hit you would've one-shot her. This is simply the consequence of being a silicon blasting tube.

What causes me to scream "RAOCOOOOWW!!!" at the screen for me is how the first bros moves still haven't really been intuited into your muscle memory.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

I found it funny how at one point raocow said something like "if i have more POW then i don't need more health because i'll defeat the enemies faster" when really, the only thing stopping him from defeating the enemies faster is using attacks that target multiple enemies, since he's already one-shotting everything.

Also, i've been watching these videos in double speed and I'm kinda glad i have when i was faced with SUPERSTAR SAGA: THE MOVIE.
ImageImage
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago By the way, Bowser's Castle is my favorite theme in the game.
SAME IT IS SO GREAT

For whatever reason when I was really little the first time I finished the game it didn't stand out to me that much but then a replay in middle school I was like "why didn't I remember this this is like the best" and yeah that is my story thx for read

why do i say words ever
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Roy drops a Bowser Fang, which is a very powerful badge (and more powerful than the nerfed Mush AA). Ludwig drops a Bowser Fist, about as powerful.
These drop in the original game too, but you need to steal them or have the GBHSP (weird abbreviation...)
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Shard1697

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Abducted Toad

Post by Shard1697 »

boppo
Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago Speaking of which, I'm about halfway through it myself. I just got past

the timed boss, which would very obviously wall someone who's doing piddly amounts of damage every turn without boosts

Just thunder bros. by itself is all you need for that even on a run with no POW increases from roulettes and the weakest possible gear.

thunder bros is really good
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I just found a funny video, raocow has nothing on this in terms of power (final boss spoilers)

Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I don't know if you noticed in editing, but your initial hunch of using the high jump to spit out water and put out the flames worked but you just didn't notice. The row you shot at wasn't shooting fire any more.
Here's the timestamp if you need another look:
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago raocow, you have yet to make any coffee with the red chuckle beans (facepalm)

As others have mentioned, going all in on POW is a valid strategy, and I agree, but maybe not on a first playthrough? ;)
do you just actively want to be loathed or something
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Kind of repeating what Sebby alluded to, but the historical context of the Koopalings being used here is probably lost in the modern era where Nintendo uses them all over the place. Their appearance here was a HUGE deal at the time!
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Blivsey

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Abducted Toad

Post by Blivsey »

Sebby's gone, guys, no need to insult him anymore.
Shard1697 wrote: 4 years ago boppo
Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago Speaking of which, I'm about halfway through it myself. I just got past

the timed boss, which would very obviously wall someone who's doing piddly amounts of damage every turn without boosts

Just thunder bros. by itself is all you need for that even on a run with no POW increases from roulettes and the weakest possible gear.

thunder bros is really good
I guarantee you I wouldn't have beaten Roy in nine turns under those conditions. I only managed to beat him with two turns left on a perfect run of the fight.

Remember, I'm playing the remake, so it might be different!

Also I have NO idea how today is gonna go. Like, everything feels equally likely.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I said this before but I'm

really looking forward to raocow dying multiple times to the final form's first attack. he will pay for his hubris

Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago I said this before but I'm

really looking forward to raocow dying multiple times to the final form's first attack. he will pay for his hubris

Are we assuming he doesn't have enough speed to get a turn to heal before Cackletta attacks?

Orgnolf

Post by Orgnolf »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago

Are we assuming he doesn't have enough speed to get a turn to heal before Cackletta attacks?

The wiki states that the boss has 120 speed, so you would need at least 121 to go first if this works how I think it does.

:catcrime:
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Orgnolf wrote: 4 years ago
Ashan wrote: 4 years ago

The wiki states that the boss has 120 speed, so you would need at least 121 to go first if this works how I think it does.

This matters even less than we would like to think it does. Even if raocow bought First Strike pants against his delusions of power, Cackletta would almost certainly be oneshotting him on every attack at this point because of the lack of def, great force, and subpar dodging, meaning he's just going to flat out die anyway even if he heals.