(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Abducted Toad

Post by Grounder »

Bowletta's Castle's appearance is lifted straight from Paper Mario 64.

This game was made before the big N decided to take the storybook framing device of that series far too seriously, you see.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I find it kind of funny that raocow still doesn't seem to realize that fully red pants means only Mario can equip them while fully green pants can only be equipped by Luigi. I was thinking that he would figure it out when those pants in the store referred to the turn order in relation to Mario; it's not like Mario can go right before Mario. Though given their effect I doubt those pants would be better than Luigi's current pants in terms of raw stats, so raocow probably isn't missing out on much.

Anyway, here's raocow's bonus stat allocations. And since we're approaching the end, I decided it might be fun to see the average numbers the bros. have gotten on the bonus wheel. Mario has gotten an average of 2.6 while Luigi has an average of about 2.528. Interestingly they both have a total of 91, but Luigi is one level higher.
The first number is the total increase, the first set of brackets show level up bonuses, and the second set of brackets show bonuses from drinks.
Mario
HP +17 (+3 +2 +2 +3 +3) (+4)
BP +3 (+2 +1)
POW +41 (+2 +1 +1 +1 +3 +2 +2 +4 +1 +3 +3 +4 +3 +3 +4) (+4)
DEF +8 (+2 +2) (+4)
SPEED +3 (+3)
STACHE +31 (+2 +2 +4 +4 +4 +3 +2 +2 +3 +5)

Luigi
HP +7 (+5 +2)
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +40 (+1 +3 +1 +1 +4 +3 +1 +2 +2 +1 +2 +3 +2 +2 +2 +3 +1 +3 +2 +1)
DEF +6 (+2 +4)
SPEED +7 (+4 +3)
STACHE +28 (+1 +2 +5 +5 +2 +5 +3 +4) (+4)

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I wonder how many Chuckle and Hoo beans raocow has amassed. He probably has over 50 Chuckle ones alone.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago The surfing minigame is fun to optimize, if the surfing controls are your thing. If you beat 38, you get pants called Casual Coral, which have crazy high defense stats, I think?
Best stats in the game and 60% Poison Dodge. I am sad that the Iron Pants aren't actually the most defensive, since they have a "downside".
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

As one last eater egg: Did you know you can combine Mini Mario and the sad Hi-Jump?
Instructions:

Make Mario small. Then, switch to Hi-Jump, and use it. When Luigi is above Mario, have Mario jump

8-)
Face the camera for the best effect.

Here's the score sheet for the Surfing Minigame
-Under 59 seconds = 1 Woo Bean
-Under 49 seconds = 1 Hoo Bean
-Under 45 seconds = 1 Chuckle Bean
-Under 40 seconds = 2 Hoo Beans, 2 Chuckle Beans
-Under 38 seconds = Casual Coral wear (1st time only)
-Under 38 seconds = 2 Woo Beans, 2 Hoo Beans, and 2 Chuckle Beans.

The yellow Hee beans you normally get from minigames are completely absent, this time around.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Actually, I'm gonna be honest: I was tempted to add the mini-mario/sadjump to the cleanup list

Also Casual Coral might be the best armor in the game but it's not worth becoming a surfing master over. 38 seconds is ridiculously tight, so tight I'm pretty sure they raised the time limit for the remake. My usual armor choice anyway is giving Mario pants that make him go first, then giving Luigi pants that make him follow after Mario.

Moving first in battle is going to be extremely helpful once I get to that final boss. Which I expect to spend a very, very long time on.

last dumb fact: the corner of the map with Bowser's Castle was originally curled over before it appeared as the final dungeon. In the remake, it's not, and instead there's a picture of the castle crudely taped in and it's honestly funnier that way

Bowser's Castle is also 3D in the remake, whoooOOOOOO
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

So yeah, we're almost done. Remake notes:
  • The attack from Bowser's Castle lasts a bit longer in the remake, and makes it rather explicit they're targeting the Nuclear Power Plant castle.
  • So, even funnier: In the remake, Bowser's Castle is taped onto the World Map. As if they didn't know where else to put it. (That said, the original does a better job of giving you the hint of how to access Bowser's Castle if you don't talk to Lady Lima.
  • The water plant puzzle in the remake emphasizes the world "tickle." Also, because the remake automatically adjusts the Solo/Bros. Action based on what one brother can be doing, you have an easier time figuring out which action to use.
  • Spangle's story gets somewhat elaborated on in Bowser's Minions. There's a very strange "cute battle contest" that happens at Gwarhar Lagoon, where the minions have to fight and...be cute in order to meet

Wendy

. Spangle is on one of the teams for the contest, with his teammates being two of those starfish enemies you see and Starlow, a character who shows up in later Mario and Luigi games. Spangle, sadly, is a creep in this part of the story, hitting on Starlow repeatedly before she kicks his ass and sends him flying. (It doesn't explain the whole "365 days" bit, but I also forgot that part of the game, so I'll have to double check and see if they forgot to edit that in the script...I see that as possible).
Before you go up to Bowser's Castle, there's one last thing you should do: Get the other special prize from the Hammerhead Bros. shop. There's a save book at the entrance, so if you run out of money, just reset.

I'll be finishing the game tonight, after which I should be in the clear on remake notes.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Before you go up to Bowser's Castle, there's one last thing you should do: Get the other special prize from the Hammerhead Bros. shop. There's a save book at the entrance, so if you run out of money, just reset.
Aw crap! Almost forgot about that!

Better do that first before blowing all your coinage on shrooms.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

The Mush Badge is the strongest out of all the infinity stones.
ImageImage
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago Also Casual Coral might be the best armor in the game but it's not worth becoming a surfing master over. 38 seconds is ridiculously tight, so tight I'm pretty sure they raised the time limit for the remake.
Downside is that Casual Coral isn't nearly as good in the remake, which sadly makes it kinda disappointing.

Actually, it's kind of a funny theme that the remake has, all of the stuff that was really good in the original game has been replaced with other good stuff instead, one of the new late-game pants makes you have half health, but gives you crazy strong defense and attack.

Same thing with badges, mush badge sucks now, but other badges like Burning Love and Oh-Pah can be insanely strong.

Except Great Force, it's still broken.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

They also added a bunch of accessories, beyond the 7 you can only get from Starbeans.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

apologies in advance for tonight's video which is 10 seconds short from being an hour long
I know that long videos are a problem for some of you
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago apologies in advance for tonight's video which is 10 seconds short from being an hour long
how
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

whenever I should have stopped I just kept playing instead
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

You could split it over two days

One video left after that one?

Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Feels like it could be the finale, depending on the amount of editing involved.

video games
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Anyway some observations about the cleanup video:
  • Now that the Beanstar is safely sealed in the castle again, I wonder if the pipe system in the basement has been reverted to "leaking state" (since repairing the plumbing is how you disable the Beanstar security system). Speaking of the castle, did raocow ever check out past the door to the east of the entrance after you enter?
    Makes me sad if he didn't :atsy:
  • Do the stronger Mush Badge variants have a more powerful Shroom Force effect than the original, or is it the same effect? It's odd that Badge AA costs twice as much as Badge A if they have the same effect and only has a few POW points of difference.
  • I wonder how the Grab Badge item effect interacts with the rare items stuff that MonkeyShrapnel explained.
  • Weird flickering around 17:02 - 17:13. I wouldn't have discounted it being some gimmick for that spot if it was like in Woohoo Hooniversity or something.
  • In a video like this where's there's a lot of exploration and overworld-based interactivity, the few battles feel out of place.
Last edited by ano0maly 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago apologies in advance for tonight's video which is 10 seconds short from being an hour long
Clearly you should've played for 10 more seconds then Image

Would this be the longest raocow video ever?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years agoSpeaking of the castle, did raocow ever check out past the door to the east of the entrance after you enter?
Makes me sad if he didn't :atsy:
I mean, there was a cutscene that takes place in that area (after the Airport scenario where it's revealed the Peach whose voice was stolen was a decoy). If he went to Bowser's castle and played for an hour he's probably already too far in to turn around for what would be pretty useless exploration, so I think we just won't see it in this playthrough. Oh well!
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Oh dear, this is going to be a fun one to watch. This could be the finale, or it could be just before the final fight.

Anyway, I finished both the main game and Bowser's Minions this morning. My thoughts on that below:

Minion Quest: The Search for Bowser (aka Bowser's Minions) is...too simple and too overwhelming to be fun. As I said before, the game basically takes a lot of cues from games like Gratuitous Space Battles, where you have very limited control over how your setup (in this case, squad) plays out. A lot of the game is heavily dependent on Power Triangle dynamics, even when certain minions are capable of being strong against certain enemy types against the Triangle. It's also heavily dependent on leveling and RNG, which makes the game rather boring when you have to grind to get to an appropriate level to move on.

Also, despite the variety of minions around and the vast number you get over time (you do have a cap, but I think that grows with your level), the fact you had to grind to get minions to appropriate levels means you mostly decide to focus on only a few minions, namely elite-level minions (i.e., the Elite Trio, Starlow, Prince Peasley,

the Koopalings

). The game tries to counteract this with fortifying beans that give a minion experience, but they distribute them too infrequently to be of much use. And even then, there are just too many minions to really work with.

The matches get a bit boring: You just watch, wait for a Special Attack to happen, either Deny it (on the enemy side) or attempt to execute one yourself (on your side), then wait for the battle to conclude. In an inexcusable oversight, most Special Attacks have no cue to indicate when you're supposed to actually hit the A Button to time it properly. The only exceptions are the stats-up Specials (which have a meter to them) and Ranged Specials (which usually have a moving targeting reticle that you have to hit in the right spot(s)). It usually doesn't make that much of a difference, but for a game that made a lot of Quality-of-Life improvements, it's rather frustrating.

The Captain Commands help add some variety to the battles, but not that much. There are only three Commands worth using out of the 13 available: Deny (which you have by default, disables Special Attacks), Chance (which gives you randomized boost of some sort), and Rally (which boosts Spirit, enabling you to increase the chance of Special Attacks). The rest are either situational or just plain worthless. Even the unique captain commands for each captain are rarely useful.

It's kind of sad this is what we get as a sidegame, rather than perhaps a mini-RPG. The one redeeming quality of this game is its story: It's about one Goomba's fervent quest to save his lord, Bowser. It's pretty funny and at times touching. There are really fun moments in the story, including the "cute battle contest" and Dr. E. Gadd talking up his backstory while everyone just walks away. It also does a really good job of expanding on the lore in not just this game but later games in the series. I think it would've benefited from a different type of game to play.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I wonder how many bosses raocow one-shotted in Bowser's Castle :cry:

I believe the reason the video is an hour long is because the final boss is going to take up the 2nd half.

I remember the first time I fought the final boss, she took me a half hour to do. An appropraite difficukty spike, at the end there. I wonder how many times she killed Bowser :twisted:
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago I wonder how many bosses raocow one-shotted in Bowser's Castle :cry:

I believe the reason the video is an hour long is because the final boss is going to take up the 2nd half.
Doubt that. It's not like there's no dungeon there, it's... definitely a dungeon, and he still has to walk through it and do all the puzzles.

I mean we'll all know in half an hour anyway so

Speaking of which, I'm about halfway through it myself. I just got past

the timed boss, which would very obviously wall someone who's doing piddly amounts of damage every turn without boosts

. Kinda proud of myself for it, honestly. I assumed I'd be there for a while, but after a few terrible attempts and a break I got it on the next try.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Sebby19

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario's Keytastrophe: Rebirth Edition

Post by Sebby19 »

raocow, you have yet to make any coffee with the red chuckle beans (facepalm)

As to answer your question on "Why am I so bad at the game?" It's because of your playstyle.
You went in on all POW, thus one shotting almost all your enemies. Then, you lose out on real time experience defending yourself (internalizing the timings and whatnot).
2nd, there is the fact that you do have the Great Force equipped, which as you know, makes getting hit way more punishing than it should be.
Lastly, the emulator might be causing slight input lag, but I can only guess.

As others have mentioned, going all in on POW is a valid strategy, and I agree, but maybe not on a first playthrough? ;)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Grounder

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario's Keytastrophe: Rebirth Edition

Post by Grounder »

raocow the movie 3 and luigi: trouser's castle

Anyway, you may have noticed in editing, but the real Wendy was densynched with her clones.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage