(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - The Variety Of Chance

Post by Blivsey »

Mandew wrote: 4 years agoone of my favorite memories about this boss fight:

One time, I managed to get Jojora's cohort a "Burn" status by use Fire. She died from the Burn damage while Jojora was away. It didn't trigger the event where Jojora came back, so then the fight kept going with no targets. When I tried to use jump or whatever, the game crashed with the enemy name being some awkward variations of "ÄÄÄÄÄAasdafaaBbabaASBHporeopA" overflowing from the name tag. it was funny.

CONFIRMED HAUNTED

By the way, all the attacks this boss has are easy to counter. Sometimes the friend will change her hair color, messing with her elemental weakness. Fire will do critical damage when her hair is yellow, while electricity does nothing. Pink hair makes her neutral to both elements, I think.

Only real obstacle in a low-level run is Jojora's counterattacks, which she does when you attack the Friend before knocking her staff away. She summons a snowstorm, and you have to mash jump to break free of the snow. If you don't do it in time, you get hit (by the frostbite, i guess) and it can inflict Heavy on you. Even if you do dodge it, using the attack heals both Jojora and her friend for 40.

Jojora has 50 HP, and takes miniscule damage. You'll only ever do 1 or 2 damage to her (excluding the Mush Badge fun), so just beat the friend and Jojora will book it. You get a sizable amount of EXP and money for your time if you beat her first, though it's still not enough to justify dicking around for like ten minutes. And if you're playing the remake, you're outta luck, because she has 500 whole HP that you have to take out one point at a time.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years agoAnd if you're playing the remake, you're outta luck, because she has 500 whole HP that you have to take out one point at a time.
According to the info on Super Mario Wiki she has higher HP but her defense is lowered so it doesn't convey so much the idea that you're not supposed to go for her. She also has a new item drop if defeated.

Also wow didn't expect to get to near the end of the map of this place in one video
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Saying this now since raocow definitely won't go back for them,
but there's two very well hidden secrets you can uncover in Joke's End for a whole bunch of Hoo Beans

Basically, that barrel that raocow never used does in fact have a use,
and there's also another use for the water fountain.

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago And if you're playing the remake, you're outta luck, because she has 500 whole HP that you have to take out one point at a time.
She's actually much easier to kill normally in the remake.
Last edited by MonkeyShrapnel 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Hoo boy, long video. I expect a lot of remake notes:
  • So Glurp is balanced out in the remake. You can hit him with the hammer for a bit more damage than 2.
  • In one of the few moments where the original is better than the remake: Any time you screw up on those hair rollers, not only does the game reset to the spot you started in the remake, it also resets your Actions to default, aka Jump. So you have to put the action back to where it was before you can try again. This is such a pain in the ass that doesn't make any sense.
  • The fights during the split segment are made easier in the remake. There are fewer enemies in each encounter, often only one or two.
  • The blocks mini-game is made somewhat easier: You only need to hit 25 blocks in 25 seconds.
  • The colors in the first room with the Sudden Lift blocks are different in the remake.
  • The barrel drop occurs in the same spot, it's not randomized.
  • I think the candles just get extinguished with a jet water (i.e., High Jump on Mario) in the remake. At least that's what I did. Plus, the effect it shows is the water splashing everywhere.
  • You're given a bit more time to complete the dash puzzle. This is balanced out by the blocks fading out from furthest to closest.
I didn't bring up Jojora because other peeps are too fast :(

Now, onto something someone brought up...
Blivsey wrote: The Jojora boss fight is weird and silly. Everything about Jojora is weird. She just hangs out in Joke's End as a playground, apparently? What's her lore? Why does she hang out with four near-identical golem girls? Does the Bowser's Minions thing feature her? Why did she come here in the first place? Is– was she deAD ALL ALONG
She actually isn't in Bowser's Minions. Joke's End is an area in the side game, but the map kind of isn't the centerpiece of that part of the game. I'll explain tomorrow. But as for Jojora, make of her appearance what you will.

Speaking of, I'm almost finished with Bowser's Minions. I'll probably split my post into two tomorrow, with one being about the remake, and one about Bowser's Minions, since the latter I'll likely finish tonight (I believe I have two battles left?).
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

@ the two corrections: i went on mario wiki briefly, saw the line about "has ten times as much HP", and made an assumption based off the 1 damage I did counterattacking her in my low-level battle

So you can understand my mistake, I hope
thatguyif wrote: She actually isn't in Bowser's Minions.
The ONE character they could have fleshed out even a little, and they didn't? Why???
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

This is a pretty neat area. I've been saying that the enemies in areas where the bros. split up seem pretty weak, but that is certainly not the case here. They're pretty strong even when the bros. are together, and running away while alone is definitely a reasonable choice. Also, while most people I've seen tend to not really like the music here, I actually like it quite a bit. There's not much to it, but there's something about it that I like.

The boss here is one that I actually remembered exists. I didn't remember much else about it, but that's still more than I can say for most things around this part of the game.

I was wondering if raocow was going to invest enough into STACHE to become more invested in it than POW, but now he's gone back to upgrading POW during level ups. I was also going to comment on how Luigi got +5 both times he upgraded HP, but then raocow got a game over and only got +2 the second time around. Anyway, here's raocow's bonus stat allocations.
The first number is the total increase, the first set of brackets show level up bonuses, and the second set of brackets show bonuses from drinks.
Mario
HP +17 (+3 +2 +2 +3 +3) (+4)
BP +3 (+2 +1)
POW +37 (+2 +1 +1 +1 +3 +2 +2 +4 +1 +3 +3 +4 +3 +3) (+4)
DEF +8 (+2 +2) (+4)
SPEED +3 (+3)
STACHE +31 (+2 +2 +4 +4 +4 +3 +2 +2 +3 +5)

Luigi
HP +7 (+5 +2)
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +37 (+1 +3 +1 +1 +4 +3 +1 +2 +2 +1 +2 +3 +2 +2 +2 +3 +1 +3)
DEF +6 (+2 +4)
SPEED +7 (+4 +3)
STACHE +28 (+1 +2 +5 +5 +2 +5 +3 +4) (+4)

thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago
thatguyif wrote: She actually isn't in Bowser's Minions.
The ONE character they could have fleshed out even a little, and they didn't? Why???
I think the reason has something to do with how they set up that particular area, story-wise. Again, I'll bring it up tomorrow since it involves stuff that'll be revealed (mostly, perhaps all of it) in the next video, and it's pointless to add spoilers to something you know is about to happen.

Update: So it turns out the last battle is gated by accessing the final level of the main game. I'm not sure if I approve of that decision. Regardless, this means I'll probably finish the game first before finishing Bowser's Minions. Still, this isn't a problem, since I'm still ahead in terms of videos right now (and raocow has stated he'll do a clean-up video).
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Jam-packed episode! I love this area, it makes you use all of your tools you've gained up to this point in unique and creative ways, and has some fun puzzles. I also love that they hint at some deep lore for this area but never really explain it. Who the hell Jojora is, why she has a giant snow woman friend with multiple names, what she's doing here, etc. Never explained and I don't want them to explain it! This is something the FromSoftware games (for the most part) do well -- hinting at lore in the areas you're in, but never outright explaining everything that's going on. It makes the world feel lived in, like it doesn't just exist to tell the specific story surrounding the protagonists. And as I've mentioned previously, it's something the later games in the series never really capture to this extent.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Throughout the game there's all theses images of smiles (the Hooniversity, the chuckola tree sanctum, the buildings in Beanbean town etc), so it's cool to see the dungeon at the beginning of the last stretch of the game do a total 180 with grimaces instead, no doubt from all those bad jokes.
I really like the outdoor staircase parts that give you a view over the ocean, I can just feel the cold salty air blowing past.
Jojora is probably my favourite boss in the game. I've always interpreted her friend as being the doll she carries around earlier. The way Mario/Luigi just stands there and gets pushed when hit by the friend's snowball attack is hilarious.
While others may want to know the lore behind Jojora, I want to know the lore behind Joke's End broth. Why is there soup lying around? Who made it? Is it to be eaten cold? What does it taste like?
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - The Variety Of Chase

Post by Awoo »

Kleetus wrote: 4 years ago I want to know the lore behind Joke's End broth. Why is there soup lying around? Who made it? Is it to be eaten cold? What does it taste like?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - JUMP

Post by BurntTenda »

Max Nut

Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

egg

I suggest you head back to castle town first for a little more story. It's basically all you have left to do before you reach the point where you wouldn't want to be backtracking anymore.

Here's your squeaky-clean backtracking list, which apparently comes with much fanfare.

Hoohoo Mountain Base (between the minecart minigame and central Beanbean)
  • North of the path to Teehee Valley
Beanbean Outskirts
  • The gate west of Teehee Valley entrance
  • Platforms east of Teehee Valley entrance
  • Beach southeast of Castle Town (like, southeastern corner of the "central grid", not the Hooniversity)
  • Platforms north of Harhall's studio
  • Near the entrance to the airport
Oho Ocean
  • Surf northwest of the oasis
  • Islands southeast of the oasis
Gwarhar Lagoon
  • From Hermie, head all the way south, then all the way east
Little Fungitown
  • In front of the embassy (not actually a sidequest, just one last thing to see)
Popple stole your hammer, then died with it, so Luigi couldn't use his Hammer for the rest of the fight. Also, Popple morphed it into a Super Hammer. What
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

More shocking than the fact that Luigi can pull off a perfect imitation of Peach's voice is that Luigi can speak actual real words.
ImageImage
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Now here's something that I remember, though seeing Luigi disguised as Princess Peach isn't really something one forgets easily. I also remembered this fight with Popple and Birdo, but I didn't remember what point in the game it occurred. Anyway, I don't have much else to say here, so here's raocow's bonus stat allocations.
The first number is the total increase, the first set of brackets show level up bonuses, and the second set of brackets show bonuses from drinks.
Mario
HP +17 (+3 +2 +2 +3 +3) (+4)
BP +3 (+2 +1)
POW +41 (+2 +1 +1 +1 +3 +2 +2 +4 +1 +3 +3 +4 +3 +3 +4) (+4)
DEF +8 (+2 +2) (+4)
SPEED +3 (+3)
STACHE +31 (+2 +2 +4 +4 +4 +3 +2 +2 +3 +5)

Luigi
HP +7 (+5 +2)
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +39 (+1 +3 +1 +1 +4 +3 +1 +2 +2 +1 +2 +3 +2 +2 +2 +3 +1 +3 +2)
DEF +6 (+2 +4)
SPEED +7 (+4 +3)
STACHE +28 (+1 +2 +5 +5 +2 +5 +3 +4) (+4)

thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

So I somehow forgot the Popple segment. I'll still reveal the bit blivsey wanted to know about, after these short remake notes:
  • So I didn't notice this until now, but Teehee Valley's theme switches to the underground theme when going underground in the remake.
  • Finally, I get to explain Super Splash Bros., which is a different attack from Advanced Splash Bros. While it's still single-target, it executes a lot differently, probably to make it easier to do. Also, the animation is quite different: He pirouettes off Luigi twice (first bouncing off him, then Luigi lifting him up) before executing a power screw slam on the enemy.
  • So, the graphical error Blivsey mentioned...I think they fixed that in the remake? Again, it's hard to tell because in the remake, you don't have to time your hammer counters, so that attack is easy to dodge.
  • Birdo...err, Birdie's multi-egg attack goes much faster in the remake, so it's a rare case of the game's boss being made harder.
Also, dangit I didn't know you could get extra Hoo Beans on the Cruiser! :(

Anyway
Blivsey wrote: egg
Bacon

So, the Joke's End segment of Bowser's Minions has little to do with Joke's End, since it occurs chronologically after the Brothers' visit there. Basically, Bowletta and Fawful ditch the damaged Koopa Cruiser at Joke's End to head to the Mushroom Kingdom (though why they couldn't fly there is beyond me...maybe Joke's End is close to the border?). The Minions discover the damaged Cruiser, and decide to repair the thing using...Minion parts? (Don't ask, I don't get it either). The Koopa Cruiser is somehow repaired to pristine condition, and after one last attempt by the Elite Trio (a trio of minions that make appearances after this game in Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team) to bring down Captain Goomba and sabotage his mission by blowing up the Cruiser, they fly off to the final area of the game...

Oh, and raocow: You have to hold the button for Swing Bros., not Thunder Bros.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

It appears Prince Peasley has won the wing ceremony and earned the Sailcloth, confirming suspicion that he is in fact Princess Link.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I feel that the story gets convoluted here.

You prepare a fake Beanstar, but Bowletta and Fawful see through it, so you also prepare a fake Peach? And they thought that they got the fake one while the real one is over there with Mario, but it's actually the opposite. It makes you wonder about a few things. Why would Peach just casually show up next to Mario there if it's so easy for Bowletta to snatch her again? Why didn't Bowletta just keep both? And even if Mario and "Peach" succeeded in tricking them (as Bowletta initially thought), isn't it too soon to gloat in front of them when they have the Beanstar? That would look suspicious.

Also couldn't Fawful just fly over after the crates blocked the pathway
And I feel that the story moves a little too fast after this. In the short time that Mario and Luigi reunited with the Beanstar in hand, Bowletta managed to go to the Mushroom Kingdom, deploy the flying castle with everything in it, and return to the Beanbean Kingdom and attack the kingdom castle grounds. I'm also wondering if Bowletta just gave up on the Beanstar at this point and is trying to conquer the kingdom by force. Before the final battle, Bowletta says "My new country has no need for old superstars!" Here Bowletta was referring to Mario and Luigi as the superstars, but when I played the game I somehow interpreted that as saying that Bowletta doesn't need the Beanstar to take over the kingdom.
Something to add about the video before: I found Jojora to be quite a jerk. She teases and belittles the heroes throughout the icy palace and then once you defeat her friend in the boss battle, she whines and calls Mario and Luigi names and runs away crying, and you never see her again. Quite irritating, and therefore I think the battle is more satisfying if you defeat Jojora outright and not just target her friend. I'm glad to know that the remake made this easier and also rewards you for doing it.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - JUMP & WALL MIX

Post by Awoo »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago I found Jojora to be quite a jerk. She teases and belittles the heroes throughout the icy palace and then once you defeat her friend in the boss battle, she whines and calls Mario and Luigi names and runs away crying, and you never see her again. Quite irritating, and therefore I think the battle is more satisfying if you defeat Jojora outright and not just target her friend. I'm glad to know that the remake made this easier and also rewards you for doing it.
Well, she is a child, so immaturity is a natural character flaw for her to have.

Shame she's not expanded upon, this game has a lot of interesting characters and creatures that would be super neat to see more fleshed out. The world-building is pretty great, but I hunger for so much more :ehh:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Somehow it never struck me as a child A) how inelegant/bad the "disguised Luigi" plan was executed, nor B) that Luigi totally had an extensive speaking role in that scene. Like, what the hell!?
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Turns out Cackletta and Fawful really don't like being laughed at. And they -did- get duped by a fake princess before. I think their decision to switch princesses was hastily made when they lost their cool. And I mean, it happens. Especially when one is under pressure from being outwitted so many times. Doesn't help that neither of them are all that smart.
video games
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

It always kinda blows my mind that Luigi just casually has dialogue in this game when he's in the Peach disguise. It never seemed right to me.
Nintendo seems to be completely random to whether or not Luigi is a silent protagonist. He USUALLY is but in Thousand Year Door he has extensive dialogue. And most recently in Mario Maker 2 if you die a few times Luigi will pop his smug face onto the screen to call you an incompetent piece of trash and ask you to hand over the controller so he can beat the level for you.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Won't matter probably, but would it be a good idea for raocow to spend the last of his cash on maxing out the rest of his mushroom supply?
Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago
Here's your squeaky-clean backtracking list, which apparently comes with much fanfare.

Hoohoo Mountain Base (between the minecart minigame and central Beanbean)
  • North of the path to Teehee Valley
Beanbean Outskirts
  • The gate west of Teehee Valley entrance
  • Platforms east of Teehee Valley entrance
  • Beach southeast of Castle Town (like, southeastern corner of the "central grid", not the Hooniversity)
  • Platforms north of Harhall's studio
  • Near the entrance to the airport
Oho Ocean
  • Surf northwest of the oasis
  • Islands southeast of the oasis
Gwarhar Lagoon
  • From Hermie, head all the way south, then all the way east
Little Fungitown
  • In front of the embassy (not actually a sidequest, just one last thing to see)
I guess you probably should've included maps or something, since he had trouble finding one
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Blivsey

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Abducted Toad

Post by Blivsey »

You're all welcome for my kindness in guiding raocow to the MAX NUT

You got everything I listed, so no worries! The only things I didn't send you after are a bean stash under the ocean and a repeat of the painting minigame that would have been thirty minutes of boredom.

Apologies about the southeastern beach: they put something non-bean-related there in the remake, but apparently there was literally nothing there in the original. There were also, apparently, several blocks that were promoted to actually having useful items, but only had beans in the original. OOPS

I also now realize that my descriptions were too vague. I didn't want to baby you around but instead I just kinda sent you on a confusing scavenger hunt. Sorry about that! Next time I make a cleanup list no one asked for, I'll keep it in mind.

The surfing minigame is fun to optimize, if the surfing controls are your thing. If you beat 38, you get pants called Casual Coral, which have crazy high defense stats, I think?