(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Re: All The S@nics - CD - ...The Problem's Chronic!

Post by Mandew »

just eyeballing it here,

it seems the goal is not to reach any certain speed, but to maintain a high-enough speed for a desired length of time.

video games
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Mandew wrote: 4 years ago just eyeballing it here,

it seems the goal is not to reach any certain speed, but to maintain a high-enough speed for a desired length of time.

Spoilering it just in case even though I feel it's not necessary:

Yep. Like it was said earlier, Ohshima was pretty inspired by Back to the Future when making Sonic CD. You just need a good stretch of land, or two springs next to eachother or whatever, to reach top speed and maintain it for a few seconds then you're whisked away to the chosen time period.

Also I keep having to look up how to spell Naoto Ohshima's name because Torahiko Ooshima from Morenatsu has the exact same surname, kanji and all, but people romanize the Oo (大) part differently for some reason. Shout outs to my fellow furries in the audience.

Ohshima is Bigisland from previous games if you're not aware, that's a literal translation of his surname.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

There's actually a few objects in the game that preserve Sonic's momentum while keeping him in place, which can be used for easy time travel. The spinny platforms we saw in Palmtree Panic Act 2 are an example of this- if you build up enough speed for the sparkle trail to appear and then land on one of those platforms, you can just spin in place for a few seconds until you warp. It's actually pretty hard to time travel just by running through the level, which is why the speed shoes are usually pretty useless. The levels are full of sudden walls and spikes that are placed in such a way that you just can't keep your speed up long enough to time travel.

It would be interesting to see an actual modern take on the Sonic CD mechanics, where the levels are actually built in such way that you can time travel just by playing the game normally, and the time travel effect happens instantaneously without load screens between it. It's genuinely really cool seeing the same zone in different time periods, but it's such a pain to actually go between time periods.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

srb2cd when
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

Looking back on the original Sonic the Hedgehog, Ohshima concluded that the game's cast was simply too sparse. He began thinking that two new cast members would be idea; one to serve as a possible extra protagonist, and more importantly, an enemy that could be marketed on the same level as Dr. Eggman. The game's visual designer, Kazuyuki Hoshino, was tasked with creating the designs of these two new characters for the game.

The first of these, Amy Rose, was actually inspired by a character of the same name being used in the Sonic the Hedgehog manga (though she regrettably lost her mohawk in the transition). With Amy drawn up, and taking the standard route of involving female characters in the plot through kidnapping, Ohshima wanted to avoid the kidnapping/romance scenario so incredibly overused in the gaming world. Therefore, he decided that Amy would harbor an unrequited love, with Sonic only rescuing her to foil Eggman's schemes.

The second new face in the game, Metal Sonic, was expressly designed to be a sleek mechanical copy of Sonic, as Ohshima was none too pleased at the sight of the clunky Mecha Sonic drawn up for Sonic the Hedgehog 2. It was a simple yet eye-catching design, and with the status of first Sonic rival, as well as being plastered all over advertising materials for Sonic CD, this look for Metal Sonic has outlasted all others.

EXTRA FUN FACTS! METAL SONIC

Metal Sonic's robotic specifications at one time formed part of his official Sonic Channel profile in Japan, taken from the Japanese manual for Sonic CD. These specifications are oddly reasonable for what a machine of Metal Sonic's capabilities might require.

" Height: 765.4 mm
Weight: 125.2kg
Outer Armor: Strength Enhanced Navy Blue Metal Tektite

Main Computer Artificial Intelligence: ROBOTNIK Custom Chip Series
Internal CPU has a neurological network system capable of both high mathematical computation and independent high-speed reactions throughout the body.

The power control system is governed by the Neo Super FX DSP Chip (with a 5 link system connecting to each section of the body). The TV picture imaging compensation unit is the Next Risk Chip Series 3 Model (each eye has an 8 link system utilizing RGB imaging).

Main Engine: 255 cc, 4 Valve Organ Fusion Engine
Maximum Output: 55ps/6800rpm
Maximum Torque: 7.54 kg-m/4000rpm

Secondary Engine: Tesla Power Coil, produces electricity through electro-magnetic induction
Maximum Output: 256kW"
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

you made that level last about as long as it possibly could

the bosses in this game are weeeird btw, yeah

this one you can literally just get behind and kill in literally seconds if you wanted to
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Damn, Metal Sonic is one heavy mf
ImageImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Prototype 510 of CD had this boss, but with pincers on the sprite. Presumably it was meant to be able to hurt you at one point, though even by this point that idea had been scrapped.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

Good Future time:

Also it's time for the best damn boss theme ever made:
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The S@nics - CD - ...The Problem's certainly a thing!

Post by Awoo »

What is up with the US soundtrack for this game? It's somewhat subdued for the good future with such minor variation that it's pretty much just the exact same piece without much distinction.

And that boss music, good lord, were they trying to give people nightmares?

I guess this kinda explains why people freaked out over the "Fun is infinite with Sega Enterprises signed Maijin or whatever that, um, thing, is.

People seriously prefer the US soundtrack? I really don't get it :ehh:
Last edited by Awoo 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Well, it's a good thing that Act 3 was considerably shortened (yet still kept distinct from Act 2) on account of that fearsome boss.

Post by 10204307 »

Super Llama wrote: 4 years agoAlso it's time for the best damn boss theme ever made:
The war is declared... the earth trembling in fear... Bold, brainy, and cold hearted. The distance grows closer, little by little... Wow, the power you possess is incredible! He doesn't stand a chance!

Work that sucker to death, c'mon now, work that sucker to death!
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 4 years agoOhshima wanted to avoid the kidnapping/romance scenario so incredibly overused in the gaming world.
Cool, introducing a female character whose role isn't to be in love with and rescued by the male protagonist
Therefore, he decided that Amy would harbor an unrequited love, with Sonic only rescuing her to foil Eggman's schemes.
...oh.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: All The S@nics - CD - ...The Problem's certainly a thing!

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago

I guess this kinda explains why people freaked out over the "Fun is infinite with Sega Enterprises signed Maijin or whatever that, um, thing, is.

Yeah, the Japanese version still has the spooky message, but accompanied by the goofy and upbeat JP audio seen above. It crossed the line into high-octane nightmare fuel with the OST change.
Crow

Post by Crow »

well, let's wait and see if raocow gets game over, then

Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

At first I thought that Robotnik swapping out woodland creatures for plant seeds in his killer robots was kinda lame, but from a technology standpoint it's way more impressive and probably more efficient.

Post by 10204307 »

For some reason I've always assumed that the flowers represented the spirits of the animals Robotnik turned into machines, but in hindsight that's probably not what they were going for.
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

i'm late but @ thread title: Tell Me, Does Life Exist Beyond It?
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: 4 years ago i'm late but @ thread title: Tell Me, Does Life Exist Beyond It?
Yes. Exactly three times and counting in the games, and once in the anime.

The werehog is more of an unviable class change.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The S8nics - CD - ...The Problem Roblem Droblem Froblem Problem!

Post by Awoo »

Oh, raocow, you almost went to the good future nyoro~n

Congrats on the 3 for 3! You're way better at these special stages than I've ever been :pal:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow

Post by Crow »

total reading failure

"Past" and "Future" are not similar words, you dolt :rao:
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

As others have expressed already, I'm impressed that raocow managed to go back to the past instead of the future,
and very amused that upon seeing a future sign, thought "oh no, don't wanna break stuff".
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

I don't know if you've noticed raocow, although i'm pretty sure you have, but right next to your life counter shows whatever time post you've gotten last. Wouldn't blame you if you haven't tho, since this is a pretty graphically busy game.
ImageImage
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

Though not on the level of the gigantic Sonic 2, Sonic CD did have its own collection of scrapped content, something miraculously never mentioned in any magazine (to the point where the first discovery of anything unused was in the 1996 PC port) much as its co-existing Mega Drive sibling. However, the only unfinished level in the game is known as R2.

R2 (the name is from a reference to a deleted level from Sonic CD. By examining the level files on a PC, the sequence skip from R1 (level 1) to R3 (level 3), with no R2 to be found.) Little is known for certain about the unused and unfinished level, butaccording to The Taxman (developer of the 2011 mobile port of Sonic CD) a number of sketches in the developers diary relate to it and that the antlion from the extended ending was also a part of the level. However, the level has no map or in game graphics, as it was removed some time before the 510 build of the game, the earliest known prototype.

Part of this lack of unused content is because, strangely, the team was practically exempt from corporate's looming gaze. Even though this was the game meant to turn the Mega CD into a smash hit, Ohshima believed the lack of oversight was due to the concurrent development of Sonic 2, as recounted below.

“Sonic CD wasn't Sonic 2; it was really meant to be more of a CD version of the original Sonic. I can't help but wonder, therefore, if we had more fun making CD than they did making Sonic 2, because we didn't have the pressure of making a 'numbered sequel'.„

Released in Japan on September 23rd, 1993, the game would go on to be considered more than just a must-have Mega CD title, becoming seen as one of the best Sonic games ever produced. However, all that praise translated to anemic sales for the struggling add-ons sales.

Post by 10204307 »

Every time I play this game I spindash at the start of this level and run directly into the spikes and die.