(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
xnamkcor

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Super Talking Time Bros. 2

Post by xnamkcor »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago kinda hard to internalize the timing without knowing what the timing is
As someone who learned to ride a bike and walk without on-screen prompts, I can assure you that it's not that hard.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Notte Luminosa

Post by ano0maly »

I agree with Leet here. It doesn't make sense to try to go by timing alone and ignore the visual flashes, when they plainly tell you when and what to press. Once you understand how the flashes match up to other cues (like "when Luigi is on Mario" and such), then you can fine-tune the timing.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Making a fan club for a sapient species is kinda...
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Also those Neon Eggs are gonna be all warm and coated in mucus
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

That Yoshi line was great.
ImageImage
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Mata Hari wrote: 4 years ago Making a fan club for a sapient species is kinda...
Eh, not that different from Pokemon fan clubs.

Anyhow...remake notes!
  • Three of the theater posters in the lobby are changed to reference the four other Mario and Luigi games in the series. From left to right: Partners in Time, Bowser's Inside Story/Dream Team, Unknown, and Dream Team. The third features a Cheep-Cheep, and isn't a direct reference to any of the other games. Might be a reference to M&L 6? Finding Nemo?
  • The hunt for Bean Fruits is made much much easier in the remake thanks to the mini-map. The game basically goes a step further and places the exact location of the Bean Fruits on your mini-map alongside the World Map. There's another thing too, but I'll bring that up after tomorrow's video.
  • The Yoshi Theater is actually the setting of the intro screen to the remake. A bunch of Yoshis are watching the game as though it were a film.
  • The Yoshis make more Yoshi noises in dialogue.
We're getting close to where I need to advance forward. I'll be playing tomorrow night. I think I'll try to finish up Bowser's Minions, too, since that's on the last "map?" I'll give a thorough review to that game afterward.
Last edited by thatguyif 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

It's kinda funny you managed to find a bean fruit by accident right before the section where they're necessary. You actually would have found one in an earlier episode; one of the first flower squares you encountered you tried digging in and didn't get anything and moved on. The area you have to pop up is annoyingly precise, and I recall on my first playthrough I got stuck here for a bit cause I tried digging in the flower squares and wasn't getting the fruit so I assumed I was looking in the wrong place.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Chuckle Beans.
raocow, you probably have enough Chuckle Beans to make both of it's coffee blends.

NOW is a good time to really explores the ring of fields surrounding the castle & town. There are a lot more of the golden monty moles.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Also, why is the current thread title referencing the Cursed ROM Hack?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Also, why is the current thread title referencing the Cursed ROM Hack?
raocow played it
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

furry icon boddle
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

(Eggsona.)
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Good news, rao: you scratched a few things off the cleanup list today! Though I'm sure that's not a surprise, given the first half of the episode was what it was.

I can't even imagine what "a fruit that tastes like a bean but then starts tasting like a fruit" would taste like. Also, Stafy is a cute game. Maybe rao should play The Legendary Starfy one day!

Next time on Superstar Saga: the thing that makes a 100% run completely impossible!
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I wonder what you mean by 100% completion not possible?
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Here's a list of some the Hidden Blocks that contain the rare brown Hoo Beans. Not ALL of them, just the ones that have multiple hidden blocks in the same room.

Bean Bean Castle, 5 of them:
After that small hedge maze only Mini Mario can go through, the is a disconnected room in the castle. There are 5 block in a M formation
Bean Bean Castle Town, 3 of them
In an empty house, that at first looks like it only has a mushroom. There are 3 more in the room, completing a rectangular formation. raocow already bopped 1, leaving 2 more.
Chucklehuck Woods, 3 of them
Just before the original end of woods, there is a room where the path splits in 3, for seemingly no reason. All the hidden blocks are randomly on the right path
Woohoo Hooniversity, 4 of them
In a hidden room rao never found, but it's existence is marked on the map. It's after that one room where you had to play a quick minigame, jumping with each bro to hit 30 moving blocks. The hidden blocks make a diamond formation
Gwarhar Lagoon, 3 of them
In an empty underwater room, that is a dead end. Each block is above a rock on the ground.
Oho Ocean Seabed, 4 of them
Technically, raocow has been in the room already, but he needs to enter it from another entrance. Currently not possible at this moment. Only mentioning it since this is the last room with a bunch of Hoo Beans (plus 1 Chuckle).
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Oh man, this video has something that I actually remember! Surprisingly it's nothing to do with the Yoshi Theater; it's those gold monty moles that I remember. I would think that something like the Yoshi Theater would stick out in my mind more, especially considering that I like yoshis a lot, but clearly my memory works in mysterious ways.

It's been a few videos since raocow last leveled up, but now he has once again, so here's raocow's bonus stat allocations.
The first number is the total increase, the first set of brackets show level up bonuses, and the second set of brackets show bonuses from drinks.
Mario
HP +14 (+3 +2 +2 +3) (+4)
BP +3 (+2 +1)
POW +34 (+2 +1 +1 +1 +3 +2 +2 +4 +1 +3 +3 +4 +3) (+4)
DEF +8 (+2 +2) (+4)
SPEED +3 (+3)
STACHE +26 (+2 +2 +4 +4 +4 +3 +2 +2 +3)

Luigi
HP +5 (+5)
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +34 (+1 +3 +1 +1 +4 +3 +1 +2 +2 +1 +2 +3 +2 +2 +2 +3 +1)
DEF +6 (+2 +4)
SPEED +7 (+4 +3)
STACHE +28 (+1 +2 +5 +5 +2 +5 +3 +4) (+4)

Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago I wonder what you mean by 100% completion not possible?
Guess I'll be the one to educate tomorrow!
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

To think that the thing that would prevent 100% completion is the choice between a swing set and a suit made of plant tissue.

(Btw, Japan doesn't have this problem.) :partygator:
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

Mata Hari wrote: 4 years ago Making a fan club for a sapient species is kinda...
I mean if you look at it as like "Human Fanclub", that's weird, but something like a fanclub for a celebrity or group is not super out there!
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago I wonder what you mean by 100% completion not possible?
Guess I'll be the one to educate tomorrow!
I'm only raising an eyebrow now since I know that the boss for the airport can drop one of two equips. But that was ages ago. So I'm not sure what your talking about now.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Drama Mistery

Post by Sebby19 »

So glad raocow finally explored the fields. I was hoping he would find those 2D sections.

There is actually one more 2D section. I don't remember exactly where it is, but I think its straight left of the desert entrance (not in the desert, just left of the entrance).

Thus concludes the 'collect the plot coupons' portion of the story. Now to assemble the Macguffin.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

So that boss, Piranha Bean, has something unfortunate about it. It involves something rao doesn't have access to right now, so I'll put in spoilers, but also add a spoiler-free explanation for raocow to appreciate.
The Piranha Swing is Piranha Bean's usual item drop, but it also happens to have a second item drop, the Piranha Suit. Thing is, it only drops the Piranha Suit if Luigi (yes, him, since Mario isn't around) is equipped with the Game Boy Horror SP, the last item you get from Starbeans Cafe which guarantees an enemy will drop its rarest drop. The unfortunate thing is that if you use the GBH to get the Piranha Suit, the Piranha Swing DOESN'T drop. So no matter what, you can only get one or the other, making it impossible to collect every item in the game. And it's definitely an oversight, because in the remake, the Piranha Swing is the only item this boss drops, while the Piranha Suit is now dropped by a different boss.
nospoiler:
Piranha Bean drops one of two items, the Piranha Swing or Piranha Suit, depending on the method by which you defeat it. But there's no way to get both; you can only get one or the other, meaning it's impossible to collect every item in the game. They fixed it in the remake, so it's definitely a mistake. OOPS

Also we're getting very close to the best point to do cleanup, and my list is pretty much set. And much smaller, thanks to raocow missing the bean on the front lawn and taking detours!
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago Piranha Bean drops one of two items, the Piranha Swing or Piranha Suit, depending on the method by which you defeat it. But there's no way to get both; you can only get one or the other, meaning it's impossible to collect every item in the game. They fixed it in the remake, so it's definitely a mistake. OOPS
It's worth noting that the Remake uses the Japanese version as the base game, so that's not necessarily true.

That being said, the Piranha Suit is dropped by a different enemy in said Japanese version.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago So glad raocow finally explored the fields. I was hoping he would find those 2D sections.

There is actually one more 2D section. I don't remember exactly where it is, but I think its straight left of the desert entrance (not in the desert, just left of the entrance).

Thus concludes the 'collect the plot coupons' portion of the story. Now to assemble the Macguffin.
Every single day you respond to the video by telling raocow where he should go next, the location of something he didn't know existed nor asked to be told of and yesterday you responded to a post that was using inline spoilers with an unspoilered response that spoiled the lack of a postgame? How do you not see a problem with the way you post in this and other topics for games you've played?
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Ometeotl wrote: 4 years agoyesterday you responded to a post that was using inline spoilers with an unspoilered response that spoiled the lack of a postgame?
Is that really spoilers? I'm normally against spoilers, but I don't really consider that a spoiler at all. *shrug* Maybe it is, i dunno.

Also, while I'll agree with you he is probably backseating a bit too much, I'd argue there's been a lot worse posted in other threads, which might be why no one has brought it up until now. Besides, most of his information-giving is stuff that's highly-unlikely to be shown off by raocow anyway. imo i don't think his post that you quoted is any more worse than this, or any of the posts about weapon info from the atmm thread. no on really called those out.

EDIT: Really, I think it's that I still have no real idea on what should be called out for spoilers/backseating because it seems (at least to me) people here are applying it way too inconsistently. Also, this really should've been a post in the backseating thread, but it's here now. oh well.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I like the little challenge caves you have to go through to get to the golden moles. They're pretty unique compared to everything else you do in this game which might be why I remember them despite not remembering anything else from this point in the game.

On the topic of things I've said before, I had mentioned that it felt a bit weird that the process of getting the first Beanstar piece is a far greater endeavor than any of the other pieces. Thinking about it though, I can understand why; if each Beanstar piece had it's own new area to explore in order to find it the player's level could vary drastically depending on what order they went. This could easily result in situations where the enemies end up being either too strong or too weak.

Speaking of enemies being weak, that Piranha Bean boss sure wasn't doing much damage. Even it's strongest attack (where it spits Prince Peasley at Luigi) only did 6 damage. I mentioned the last time Luigi was by himself why enemies might need to be weaker for solo fights, but just like before I feel like this is a bit too weak.

Anyway, raocow leveled up once again, so here's his bonus stat allocations.
The first number is the total increase, the first set of brackets show level up bonuses, and the second set of brackets show bonuses from drinks.
Mario
HP +14 (+3 +2 +2 +3) (+4)
BP +3 (+2 +1)
POW +34 (+2 +1 +1 +1 +3 +2 +2 +4 +1 +3 +3 +4 +3) (+4)
DEF +8 (+2 +2) (+4)
SPEED +3 (+3)
STACHE +31 (+2 +2 +4 +4 +4 +3 +2 +2 +3 +5)

Luigi
HP +5 (+5)
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +34 (+1 +3 +1 +1 +4 +3 +1 +2 +2 +1 +2 +3 +2 +2 +2 +3 +1)
DEF +6 (+2 +4)
SPEED +7 (+4 +3)
STACHE +28 (+1 +2 +5 +5 +2 +5 +3 +4) (+4)