(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Chirei

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - The Legend of Randorland 3

Post by Chirei »

Transformers: Water In The Guy is a good show
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

hello raocow, this is MarioAndLuigiFanFawful2003
and I just wanted to say
don't worry, I don't want to protect you from the game,
I just want to protect the game from your opinions
now don't get me wrong, I love this game but
I don't have faith in the game being able to speak for itself

please be more curious about your options
except if you're curious about the wrong option,
I'm gonna be annoyed so
I'm just gonna tell you about what the options are

oh and I want you to see everything there is to discover
except so you don't miss it, I won't let you discover anything
I'll just spoil the surprises and tell you instead
video games
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

Mandew wrote: 4 years ago hello raocow, this is MarioAndLuigiFanFawful2003
and I just wanted to say
don't worry, I don't want to protect you from the game,
I just want to protect the game from your opinions
now don't get me wrong, I love this game but
I don't have faith in the game being able to speak for itself

please be more curious about your options
except if you're curious about the wrong option,
I'm gonna be annoyed so
I'm just gonna tell you about what the options are

oh and I want you to see everything there is to discover
except so you don't miss it, I won't let you discover anything
I'll just spoil the surprises and tell you instead
This was worth a thumbs-up-fart-button.
I change this sig every year for Advent
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I never really considered how hilarious it is that these researchers went to an island, found its native creatures who can talk in simple sentences and seem to have some sort of connection to magic elemental powers...

And just started setting them on fire. And not only that, took their time to document, "they don't like being set on fire" as their big scientific discovery
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

Ah remember when we where all innocent and had no idea about the innuendo hidden behind a SUPER NUT?
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I'm pretty sure setting the red Oho Jee on fire was a complete accident.
First time I played, I was seriously concerned about the fact that the enraged Oho Jee turned one of the scientists into another Oho Jee. Umm kay??? What a dark thing to include suddenly! Especially since, light spoilers, this doesn't factor into gameplay at all!
I wonder what happened to the rest of the exhibition...

Since rao beat Popple early, we missed a couple new moves: They developed their own Bros, Attacks!
-The first one involves Rookie grabbing Popple, tosses him in the air, jumps up and grabs Popple midair, and then pile drives him head first. This creates two shockwaves you need to jump over.
-2nd one has Rookie light Popple on fire, then he grabs to lit thief and tosses him at a single bro. You need to deflect with the hammer.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Upon seeing raocow getting the School Emblem I thought about making a joke about a hypothetical Fire Emblem game where the characters go to school, but... well that's exactly what the newest Fire Emblem game is.

Anyway, there's another boss here, and I like how Mario and Popple take the time to respectfully set the Beanstar aside before the fight starts. Also, wow, raocow's doing a lot of damage with those bros. attacks. Apparently it's even enough for raocow to miss out on some of their attacks, but I'm fine with that; in my opinion anyone who want's to see things that raocow might not showcase, or who just want to see the game played differently, should play the game for themselves. This leads into the whole people telling raocow how to play the game issue.

I'd like to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that they're just doing this out of an altruistic drive to help, but I feel like anyone like that probably would have gotten the point the first time this issue came up and stopped. What seems more likely, based on my own experience, is that people are simply getting frustrated at the way raocow is playing. I've definitely felt this way before, and it's the reason I came up with the 'play the game yourself' thing in the first place; if you've already played the game you can just sit back and laugh at any mistakes the player might make rather than your first time experiencing the game being saddled with frustration at the person playing. I can't speak for anyone else, but in my experience if I'm getting frustrated watching someone play a game playing it myself helps a lot.

Other than people getting frustrated, there also seems to be some people that just want raocow to showcase everything there is to see in the game, which is somewhat understandable, but I feel like the ideas of a blind playthrough and a comprehensive playthrough are just plain contradictory. Maybe at the end you could go back and show things that were missed (though I feel like that might be unfeasible for some games, this being one of them). Also, it's not like raocow's the only let's player out there. Any RPG that raocow might play probably has a comprehensive let's play of it out there somewhere (and I know for a fact that there's some out there for this game). With all that in mind I feel like it would be best to let raocow do his own thing rather than trying to get him to show off everything.

I've said a lot, and I'm not sure if posting it here will change anything, given that most of the trouble seems to be in the youtube comments (I don't read them much but the first time this issue came up I checked the comments on the previous video and there was a lot of people telling raocow what to do). Anyway though, I've talked about this enough, now it's time for raocow's bonus stat allocations.
The first number is the total increase, the first set of brackets show level up bonuses, and the second set of brackets show bonuses from drinks.
Mario
HP +11 (+3 +2 +2) (+4)
BP +3 (+2 +1)
POW +20 (+2 +1 +1 +1 +3 +2 +2 +4 +1 +3)
DEF +4 (+2 +2)
SPEED +3 (+3)
STACHE +4 (+2 +2)

Luigi
HP +5 (+5)
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +24 (+1 +3 +1 +1 +4 +3 +1 +2 +2 +1 +2 +3)
DEF +6 (+2 +4)
SPEED +7 (+4 +3)
STACHE +5 (+1) (+4)

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I know I'm the wrong person be asking, but deep question time:
What happened to the Let's in Let's Play?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Since rao beat Popple early, we missed a couple new moves: They developed their own Bros, Attacks!
I'm not caught up but geez, that's one of the coolest parts of the game imo :'(
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
bbbrrr_it_cold
Always ambivalent, always lurking...
First name: Quagsire

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago I know I'm the wrong person be asking, but deep question time:
The fact that you get to watch them and experience it with them.

I could sit here and explicate further, but I don't really want to. The "let's" never went anywhere. You just want it to mean something more.
I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
I have a youtube (currently only with stream highlights): (Don't watch it)
I have a twitter (where I say just about nothing): (Don't follow it)
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago I know I'm the wrong person be asking, but deep question time:
nothing

you just have no concept of other people's boundaries
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Sebby19 wrote: I know I'm the wrong person be asking, but deep question time:
Same thing that happened to the My.

I love these dumb weird island muffins for some reason. They're, like, a step away from Mr. Saturns in terms of silly.

(raocow voice) OHO JEEZ
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I have a vague memory of the Let's (let us) meaning something more to rao. Unfortunately for the life of me I can't remember what he said. This was almost a decade ago. So opinions ofcourse can change.

But I think it was more about community involvement.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

sebby, either youre arguing in favor of the worst of backseat gaming, or what you're saying is irrelevant to this situation
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

I slapped my face at work when raocow thought that Oho Jee is supposed to mean OG. Now there's a chance that he's not wrong because I don't really know either, but it was way too 80's for me and I was defeated by it.
LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: Upon seeing raocow getting the School Emblem I thought about making a joke about a hypothetical Fire Emblem game where the characters go to school, but... well that's exactly what the newest Fire Emblem game is.
Luigi equipped the badge, so now the real question.

Did he join the Black Eagles, Blue Lions, or Golden Deer?
Quadro
Heh heh.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Quadro »

Oh man, I thought this would happen. I swear I said something like this around episode 3 or so.

I'm sorry, rao. I want you to enjoy this game, and other rpgs. And I'm pretty sure we all would want to enjoy them with you, but if the comments are really getting in the way that much, I'd completely understand turning them off or ignoring them or whatever.

This is your playthrough, not ours. Play your way. And we'll have fun with you.

Chirei wrote: Luigi equipped the badge, so now the real question.

Did he join the Black Eagles, Blue Lions, or Golden Deer?
I'd guess Green Mantis, but that's just me.

"You are loved and you matter, whether you want to or not."
-raocow, 2023

"Wherever you are tonight,
I wish you the best of everything."

-Tom Petty

icon stolen from:
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Chirei wrote: I slapped my face at work when raocow thought that Oho Jee is supposed to mean OG. Now there's a chance that he's not wrong because I don't really know either, but it was way too 80's for me and I was defeated by it.
I don't think he was saying it's OG, it's like "oh, jee" as a reaction to a joke. Jee as in "jee whiz." I'm not sure if that's actually the case or not, the "oho" I'm pretty sure is in reference to laughter, similar to "ahaha" but it's more "ohoho." I never considered the "jee" part but he could be right
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

I've always interpreted the white in the basement as gritty ice/snow, and that the basement was just super cold.
The viruses are cool enemies, some stuff about them
Depending on which colour they are when defeated they have different drops, their stats are also different. This is why they seem to take a random amount of turns to defeat, and why they sometimes attack twice, it's their SPD changing after being counterattacked.
Viruses always have a base HP of 36, tied for Mechachomp, slightly lower then Yo Bro and miles ahead of Laser Snifit and Eeker.
Red and Yellow have POW 16 second highest of all enemies in the Hooniveristy, including bosses, but first place is a tie. Highest is Yo Bro/Cackletta at 17. In the Blue form POW drops to 15, same as everyone who isn't Laser Snifit,
Red has slightly below average DEF, 40, tied for second lowest with Laser Snifit and good SPD 60 tied for Eeker for second highest non-boss SPD. Rookie, the slowest boss in the area also has SPD 60.
Having lower POW Blue has both good SPD and DEF. SPD is 80 making it the fastest non-boss enemy in the area. DEF is 60, more than Pople(50) tied with Rookie for third place of all enemies in the Hooniversity, including bosses.
Yellow's SPD is 40, only Mechachomp is slower, but DEF is 80 the highest of ALL enemies in the Hooniversity, Cackletta is second at 74.
Blivsey wrote: (raocow voice) OHO JEEZ
I love little back water islands in video games and Oho Oasis is one of my favourites.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years agoI have a vague memory of the Let's (let us) meaning something more to rao. Unfortunately for the life of me I can't remember what he said. This was almost a decade ago. So opinions ofcourse can change.

The community is plenty involved. There's just a fine line between helping raocow out and giving him advice or suggestions and backseat gaming. And for this lp there seems to be quite a few people who are apparently backseat gaming despite the fact raocow doesn't seem to be having huge trouble caused by his own actions.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The way today's video started out was a concern for me. I want him to have fun. Because it's a fun game, and he can clearly see that it is. I sometimes read some of the Youtube comments on the videos, and I want to say they're largely thought-out with helpful content, I can see that they also can be a bit demanding to the player - or at least, the player might feel that the comments are demanding a lot from him.

For me personally, I think I gave up on expecting any sort of completionist style out of this blind playthrough some time ago because... well I myself don't remember many of the content and details. There were times when I was surprised at what I see in the video because I didn't expect that to be there, given that it's been so long since I played the game. I guess this kind of worked out in favor of my enjoyment of watching the series?

On the other hand, I've honestly gotten somewhat annoyed with this discussion popping up in this thread every few days, and it seems like some of the posted remarks are treating any kind of discussions as spoilers or the equivalent thereof. Like, what is this thread even for? I do think that a recorded let's play shouldn't be a mere "watch me play", especially when the player has a whole forum dedicated to discussing the game and the playthrough progress. Not even a single megathread at a third-party forum, but a place directly related to him and his videos where each LP gets a thread made specifically for that LP.

The discussion just needs to be contributing, rather than ordering him around like Twitch Plays Pokemon or something.
LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 4 years agoAny RPG that raocow might play probably has a comprehensive let's play of it out there somewhere (and I know for a fact that there's some out there for this game).
I discovered during this LP that Chuggaconroy made a video playthrough of this game. He probably did an informative and comprehensive style of playthrough.
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

As in "Let First-Party-involved play the game", in this case 'first-party-involved' being raocow?

that's a good question, Sebby.
Why don't you answer that for me?
video games
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Well then that would be "let him play" not "let's play".

And he did:
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago I have a vague memory of the Let's (let us) meaning something more to rao. Unfortunately for the life of me I can't remember what he said. This was almost a decade ago. So opinions ofcourse can change.

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

ok yeah if it's legit bothering rao that much then i have an opinion
Just... Close the comments. Blacklist the Talkhaus until it's over. It isn't going to get better, we go through this every couple of weeks in some form. It's not worth it, and it hasn't been the moment the controls were fixed up.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago Well then that would be "let him play" not "let's play".

And he did:
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago I have a vague memory of the Let's (let us) meaning something more to rao. Unfortunately for the life of me I can't remember what he said. This was almost a decade ago. So opinions ofcourse can change.

Unsatisfactory.

Answer me this:
Why is it that in this "Let's Play", raocow would just about be the only being involved not actually allowed to play the game?
video games
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I already said the discussion should contribute to the experience rather than dictate it. He can have his own input too. The LPer is allowed to play, as are the viewers allowed to talk.

Obviously I'll just restate what I already said if you skip over everything I just said about let's plays and respond to an old comment without considering the resulting replies to it.