(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: What games are games playing?

Post by Awoo »

I found through my last Golden Sun playthrough that it's way easier if you keep all your characters with Djinni of their specific elements, and *never* unleash them. I almost never used summons or individual Djinn (save for a few handy ones), and the game was way easier. Just spam psienergy and use your weapon unleashes, and you'll rarely have a problem
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Ashan »

Yeah I enjoy the buffs from having the djinni set so I barely use them, with the exceptions of one I have equipped to Ivan that raises party defense, and one I have on Mia that drops an enemy's attack. But I tend to just use the effect then immediately set it again cause summoning doesn't do all that much damage.

The whole djinni system seems kinda needlessly complex, and I don't really want to worry that much about how setting and unsetting different ones will give me different psynergies and whatnot. It's too much work and the game seems to be completely playable without putting that effort in so I haven't found a reason to yet.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago The whole djinni system seems kinda needlessly complex, and I don't really want to worry that much about how setting and unsetting different ones will give me different psynergies and whatnot. It's too much work and the game seems to be completely playable without putting that effort in so I haven't found a reason to yet.
I've played through both games, and am working my way through the third... I simply set all my djinni to the character that their element matches, and... never had a problem. It's an interesting system, but I've always felt like the spells you gain through combining djinn of different types don't make up for the spells you'd *lose* by *not* mixing them.

The only time I bothered with summons was

a bonus boss on the second game who would not only unset your djinni, but then use your own summons against you if you didn't do so first. So I just went in with every djinn unset, and blasted it with summons. Figured, if it was going to play cheap, so was I.

Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: What game did I play?

Post by Awoo »

YelseyKing wrote: 4 years ago
Ashan wrote: 4 years ago The whole djinni system seems kinda needlessly complex, and I don't really want to worry that much about how setting and unsetting different ones will give me different psynergies and whatnot. It's too much work and the game seems to be completely playable without putting that effort in so I haven't found a reason to yet.
I've played through both games, and am working my way through the third... I simply set all my djinni to the character that their element matches, and... never had a problem. It's an interesting system, but I've always felt like the spells you gain through combining djinn of different types don't make up for the spells you'd *lose* by *not* mixing them.

The only time I bothered with summons was

a bonus boss on the second game who would not only unset your djinni, but then use your own summons against you if you didn't do so first. So I just went in with every djinn unset, and blasted it with summons. Figured, if it was going to play cheap, so was I.

Dullahan? I always exploited the fuck out of summons and the fact that if your first party goes down, than your second one goes up but the active missile(s) from Daedalus comes in to nuke while recovering/prepping other things.

DD spoilers

He was even easier in Dark Dawn thanks to Lull and other enemy turn skipping abilities. No more djinn storm. Wololo

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

YelseyKing wrote: 4 years ago I've played through both games, and am working my way through the third... I simply set all my djinni to the character that their element matches, and... never had a problem. It's an interesting system, but I've always felt like the spells you gain through combining djinn of different types don't make up for the spells you'd *lose* by *not* mixing them.
I'm over 16 hours in and I don't have any idea how the element system works, nor did I even know any of the characters had elements. I guess Mia seems to mostly have water/ice spells so I've given her djinni that give her more of those I think. At the very least I don't give her any djinni that remove her healing spells since those are pretty damn important for, ya know... a healer.

In today's adventures, I wasted a bunch of time on this puzzle cause I wasn't aware this pillar is standing up, meaning I can go behind it. I thought it was toppled over and laying on its side like all the other pillars but I just couldn't move it. If you don't understand this, the puzzle is impossible. Cool!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

In today's Golden Sun misadventures, I did the colosseum trials and seemingly got softlocked because I did a puzzle wrong. I pushed both the log and the pillar all the way to the left and then I literally had no way of getting past it. I ran around for about 10 minutes, but there's not many places to go. You can't cast retreat so literally all I could do was turn off the console and restart.
Thank you game, very cool!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Still playing Lufia II. Got Artea (Arty) and

I guess this means Tia isn't coming back from NPC status. :c RIP Dekar btw, he was a cute himbo.

Taking a break at the Divine Shrine south of Eserikto because some of these puzzles and dungeon designs can get a bit complex at times. orz

Maxim's at Lv. 40, so I'm nearing the end of the game.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Bean
Yep.

Re: What games are me playing?

Post by Bean »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago I've never, for the life of me, been able to get into Castlevania. Is there something I'm missing? :ehh:

maybe it's just not my thing? certainly feels that way

I'm the same way about Pokémon. I get it and even enjoyed a semi-clone in World of Final Fantasy since catching monsters was the big part of the deal, but it's not my style.

I like platformers, and while the exploration ones like Metroid and Castlevania don't get into the hectic moments of Mario, DKC, Sonic, and Mega Man, they still can hold my attention when you're going all around the place looking for stuff. It probably helps that this is the first one of this style in years and does not hold back on referencing those past classics either.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: What games are you'se guys playing?

Post by Awoo »

Bean wrote: 4 years ago
Awoo wrote: 4 years ago I've never, for the life of me, been able to get into Castlevania. Is there something I'm missing? :ehh:

maybe it's just not my thing? certainly feels that way

I'm the same way about Pokémon. I get it and even enjoyed a semi-clone in World of Final Fantasy since catching monsters was the big part of the deal, but it's not my style.

I like platformers, and while the exploration ones like Metroid and Castlevania don't get into the hectic moments of Mario, DKC, Sonic, and Mega Man, they still can hold my attention when you're going all around the place looking for stuff. It probably helps that this is the first one of this style in years and does not hold back on referencing those past classics either.
I couldn't get into Pokemon either, like, at all. Most I ever had were the original trading cards way back in the day
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I wasn't allowed to watch Pokemon or play the games because my parents thought it was making kids worship the devil.

Relevant song:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

should have gotten into digimon instead like us cool kids 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
we have actual demon monsters

I beat Lufia II and I like how even knowing that ending was coming, the events afterwards still hit like a motherfucking truck.

Maxim and Selan are fucking dead and everyone expects them to still be alive and to come back soon except for Tia who feels that Maxim has died and bursts into tears, but isn't aware that that is the reason, and Maxim and Selan's child Jeros who feels Selan's presence as their spirits hover over Parcelyte.

Holy shit, Arc the Lad II and its depressing fucking ending has nothing on this.

The bit at the end with The Savior of Those On Earth playing was just a masterpiece. How did this game go from a poorly written JRPG for babies to this at the very end. what the Fuck

I'm gonna try Lufia 1 again now. I feel ready.
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: What games are you into playing?

Post by Awoo »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago should have gotten into digimon instead like us cool kids 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
we have actual demon monsters
Not to mention literal angels :catplanet:
Digimon ftw
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Digimon was a no-go too

Basically all anime is of the devil
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Philistines.
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I can't think of a clever way to phrase the obvious "that's ridiculous, one of the most greatest animes of alltime is christian" joke so just imagine it for yourself
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

to be fair superbook did get a lot of christian children in the 80s into anime
i know you mean eva that's the joke
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: What game are you playing?

Post by Awoo »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Digimon was a no-go too

Basically all anime is of the devil
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Been playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Ngiht a bunch when I can find the time. Easily one of the best Metroidvanias I've ever played. Seems to combine the best aspects of Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia which are my two favorite entries in the Castlevania series. Also the map is freaking enormous I'm only at about 40% map completion and it feels like I've already explored more than Aria or Ecclesia have in total. (And I'm still not too terribly far into the game. I'm only like level 23-24 or so.)
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Apparently at some point in Golden Sun they just decide to make all status spells never work as part of the "challenge" so that's cool

I'm fighting this stupid tornado lizard (the boss one, not the ones you fight throughout the desert trek) and he's like 10x harder than anything else out of nowhere. He's apparently got high agility cause he'll get like 3 turns in a row, and has a few attacks he can spam to just wipe my whole party out without me getting a turn. I've been spamming sleep and bind on him to stop him from doing that but they seem to have like a 5% chance of working. So my strategy has been resetting the system every time he kills me and hoping on one of these attempts the spells will actually work enough times to kill him. But I did that several times and still haven't gotten him down so I guess it's time to grind. Fun
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: What game are you played?

Post by Awoo »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Apparently at some point in Golden Sun they just decide to make all status spells never work as part of the "challenge" so that's cool

I'm fighting this stupid tornado lizard (the boss one, not the ones you fight throughout the desert trek) and he's like 10x harder than anything else out of nowhere. He's apparently got high agility cause he'll get like 3 turns in a row, and has a few attacks he can spam to just wipe my whole party out without me getting a turn. I've been spamming sleep and bind on him to stop him from doing that but they seem to have like a 5% chance of working. So my strategy has been resetting the system every time he kills me and hoping on one of these attempts the spells will actually work enough times to kill him. But I did that several times and still haven't gotten him down so I guess it's time to grind. Fun
I don't remember how I killed that/anything in Golden Sun. Maybe I should dig up my old save file or something. Might be worth it to play through it again since work's been so damn slow these past few months :ehh:

Status spells are generally not worth it in RPGs from my experience, *especially* on bosses. I always try to maximize damage with the heavy hitters, heal as appropriate, and account for any weaknesses on either my side or the enemy(s). It's definitely a thing.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

The game still has not explained any sort of weakness system. I assume there's one there because there's elements, but it didn't explain anything and I don't know how any of the elements interact, nor do I know what element anything is. I also don't have any spells that can heal more than one person at a time, so when this boss does two back-to-back attacks that drain my entire party to 20 health each, there's not really anything I can do to heal them before he finishes them off.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Alice wrote: 4 years agoBeen playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Ngiht a bunch when I can find the time. Easily one of the best Metroidvanias I've ever played. Seems to combine the best aspects of Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia which are my two favorite entries in the Castlevania series. Also the map is freaking enormous I'm only at about 40% map completion and it feels like I've already explored more than Aria or Ecclesia have in total. (And I'm still not too terribly far into the game. I'm only like level 23-24 or so.)
Yeah. It's a long one. I had a free weekend to go to town on it after easing into it the day it released, so I did just that and beat it. Very good game that's only held back by a few technical flaws. The actual gameplay is as smooth and fun as can be.
KobaBeach

Re: What game are you played?

Post by KobaBeach »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago Status spells are generally not worth it in RPGs from my experience, *especially* on bosses.
The more Dragon Quest inspired ones tend to make them actually effective, knowing your way around status effects helps a lot in DQ1 for instance. It's just FF and the ones that take from it tend to go with the whole "status effects aren't worth it" schtick. It's honestly pretty dumb.

Also I just shut my brain off for a few hours the day before yesterday and binged through Lufia 1. Now I'm just grinding a bit and progressing through the endgame bit by bit.
Image Image
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Re: What's gamering you?

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

i've been playing SO much baba is you because it's Good. my long-distance girlfriend is going to be here for two weeks starting tomorrow and we're planning to play seiken densetsu 3/trials of mana via collection of mana, which should be fun! i've played trials of mana a ton since my older sister was way into rpgs (especially squaresoft rpgs) when i was younger, so i experienced a lot of them through her and kept playing them after she moved out. besides, what's better for developing a relationship than playing co-op action rpgs together?

nothing.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat Lufia 1. The ending was cheesy and an ass-pull but god if I wasn't on the brink of tears. It's a Dragon Quest clone that feels ancient due to the grinding but there's something about the characters that are just so dumb they're likeable.

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: i've played trials of mana a ton since my older sister was way into rpgs (especially squaresoft rpgs) when i was younger, so i experienced a lot of them through her and kept playing them after she moved out. besides, what's better for developing a relationship than playing co-op action rpgs together?

nothing.
my brother was into squaresoft rpgs too (mostly ff7, ff9, ff10, ff10-2, chrono trigger and kingdom hearts, i think he owned saga frontier 2 too. he'd later own ff12 and ff13, but he never played much of ff12 and he never finished 13) but i've never really played any of the mana games together with anyone. i'm jealous haha
Image Image