(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Luigi's World

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Wow, digging up those marks on the ground sure is unnecessarily precise. I often partake in internally shouting at the screen whenever raocow doesn't understand something obvious, but after watching the previous video concluding that you have to interact with them in some other way seemed perfectly reasonable.

Anyway, both bros. leveled up twice today, so here's raocow's bonus stat allocations so far.
The first number is the total increase, while the numbers in brackets show each individual level up.
Mario
HP +3 (+3)
BP +3 (+2 +1)
POW +12 (+2 +1 +1 +1 +3 +2 +2)
DEF +2 (+2)
SPEED +0
STACHE +2 (+2)

Luigi
HP +0
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +14 (+1 +3 +1 +1 +4 +3 +1)
DEF +2 (+2)
SPEED +4 (+4)
STACHE +1 (+1)

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

if raocow says he's up for playing more rpgs, then i'm totally suggesting the legend of xanadu when the english translation is finished.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago if raocow says he's up for playing more rpgs, then i'm totally suggesting the legend of xanadu when the english translation is finished.
And here I was gonna suggest Wild Arms as a joke and you go and one up me by digging into the Falcom archives.

PS: It's too bad SNES style fight pads aren't that common, or he could have an extra pair of face buttons for things like A+B.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

raocow messing up his inputs like [image]

But really now, you've been doing a lot better in battles! And even improved a bunch on the overworld, so don't be too hard on yourself. One piece of advice that you might not be doing is trying to look at the top right of your screen where your inputs are on the overworld basically any time you need to use them, like, on a redundant level.

I'm saying it because really the only "scream at your screen" moment of this episode was when you went "oh, i guess i can't jump as small mario" when you had your hammer on, and even though you realized fairly quickly you had just missed that, I feel that if you had been paying attention at what your inputs were at all times, that might've not happened.
Attachments
it was merely an act.png
it was merely an act.png (386.76 KiB) Viewed 3742 times
ImageImage
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago raocow messing up his inputs like

But really now, you've been doing a lot better in battles! And even improved a bunch on the overworld, so don't be too hard on yourself. One piece of advice that you might not be doing is trying to look at the top right of your screen where your inputs are on the overworld basically any time you need to use them, like, on a redundant level.

I'm saying it because really the only "scream at your screen" moment of this episode was when you went "oh, i guess i can't jump as small mario" when you had your hammer on, and even though you realized fairly quickly you had just missed that, I feel that if you had been paying attention at what your inputs were at all times, that might've not happened.
You can embed images you upload...
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

So, I will start this off with NOT a remake note, but a translation note:
  • So, as someone pointed out in the YouTube comments, Pestnut is a pun-based portmanteau of "pest" and "chestnut." What is interesting is the French translation of the game retains this pun in its version with "Chateigne," a portmanteau of "châtaigne" (chestnut) and "teigne" (pest). It's really clever! (For those wondering, the Japanese name is クリマロ, or "Kurimaro." Kuri is the Japanese word for chestnut)
Anyway, remake notes:
  • As noted elsewhere, the remake is far less sensitive regarding digging out soft spots. There is a point a tiny bit later in the game where they retain sensitivity on a digging matter, but it's only there.
  • The mechanics of barrel hopping are much more simplified, as is similar to stomping on Water-filled Mario. It automatically changes to that option when Luigi goes into the barrel.
  • The maps you've been looking at in this level to find where you are do not exist in the remake. This is because the mini-map you get at the border (which also shows you where you are in an area) renders them redundant.
And now that RPGs are now available....
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Not related to the LP but I only just learned about Tomato Adventure (this game's non-Mario predecessor) today and thought I should share its existence because it's quite interesting.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

xnamkcor wrote: 4 years ago You can embed images you upload...
Hadn't really thought of doing it through the site's own image uploading thing, thanks for the heads up.
But since the opportunity was brought up, I will feign having known about it all along and say that Image
ImageImage
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

not specifically about MLSS, but rather a question about the adjacent topic of future potential raocow RPG play(s)
if raocow were to one day play a touhou RPG, what would folks recommend?

i ask with no knowledge of touhou RPGs out there other than "i assume they exist"

and with no particular strong feelings about the issue other than "this seems incredibly on-brand"
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Voltgloss wrote: not specifically about MLSS, but rather a question about the adjacent topic of future potential raocow RPG play(s)

i ask with no knowledge of touhou RPGs out there other than "i assume they exist"

and with no particular strong feelings about the issue other than "this seems incredibly on-brand"
I think it would be best to work the way down and look at rpgs that have active elements instead of straight up random encounters with static commands. I don't know the breadth of touhou rpgs that do this but I don't remember any.
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

Chirei wrote: 4 years ago
Voltgloss wrote: not specifically about MLSS, but rather a question about the adjacent topic of future potential raocow RPG play(s)

I think it would be best to work the way down and look at rpgs that have active elements instead of straight up random encounters with static commands. I don't know the breadth of touhou rpgs that do this but I don't remember any.
Very much agree. Traditional RPGs with their minimal interaction 'cue up commands and wait' playstyle would be very unsuited for raocow I think.
Leet

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - World Of Illusion

Post by Leet »

By the way, when I said "this game won't be completed", what I had in mind was that it just wouldn't be working out and I envisioned it ending before beanbean castle.

The fact that raocow's still playing at this point ensures this game will be completed.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Not following the LP at all but, what about Action RPGs like Terranigma, Ys, Mana, Beyond Oasis...? (maybe even Kingdom Hearts if Disney doesn't copyright claim the entire series /s)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

That's why I suggested LoZ.

EDIT: Faxanadu has been suggested bore too.
Last edited by SAJewers 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

just so you know i pressed the thumbs up fart button.
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Chirei wrote: 4 years ago

There's this on steam:

Would that work? (I have no idea; don't know much about it honestly)
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

"I want to go down in the cave now. See, like that's being smart." raocow says as he avoids an optional room that's no doubt full of goodies (I don't actually know what's in that room, but I feel like that's a pretty good guess). Anyway, here's raocow's bonus stat allocations.
The first number is the total increase, while the numbers in brackets show each individual level up.
Mario
HP +3 (+3)
BP +3 (+2 +1)
POW +17 (+2 +1 +1 +1 +3 +2 +2 +4 +1)
DEF +2 (+2)
SPEED +0
STACHE +2 (+2)

Luigi
HP +0
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +16 (+1 +3 +1 +1 +4 +3 +1 +2)
DEF +6 (+2 +4)
SPEED +4 (+4)
STACHE +1 (+1)
SAJewers wrote: There's this on steam:

Would that work? (I have no idea; don't know much about it honestly)
Having played that game myself, I'd say probably not. If you're familiar with the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games it's a lot like that, except the progression system is kind of weird. Any time you leave a dungeon (whether it's by clearing it, using an item to escape, or simply being defeated) your level resets back to level 1. However the game has a system where you can level up equipment while you use it, and the level of your equipment doesn't reset.

My experience with the game involved running through the main dungeon several times before I had good equipment that was strong enough to take on the boss. And then after you beat the main story you unlock several side stories, most of them featuring their own characters that don't share items with the main character, requiring you to repeat the process of finding equipment and leveling it up.

It's entirely possible that the way I play the game isn't optimal and that there's a better way to do things, but if I have some degree of trouble despite being somewhat familiar with these types of games I can't imagine raocow faring much better.

Leet

Post by Leet »

Yall are forgetting that raocow already played action-RPGs before (Distorted Travesty) so yeah that's established ground
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Scarlet Curiosity and Youyou Kengeki Musou are closer to modern Ys in terms of gameplay, so I think it'd work out better.

Heads up about SC tho:
The track that plays at Kourindou is Sandpiper by Earth.boy, which is a copyrighted music track.

This led to players who make playthroughs of the game unable to monetize their video on YouTube unless the music is turned off when visiting Kourindou.
Image Image
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

As much as I love Mystery Dungeon (PMD2 is the best md game dont fight me, you'll lose), it's a little too stop and go for what i'm thinking of.

I'm gonna echo the sentiment of people who want a raocow battle network in the far future. The encounters are mostly random, but it's even more active than Luigi&Luigi and it would be a "101% completion" to All Da Mega Men.

Also I hear the best character in the series isn't even in Genso Wanderer so no point in playing it
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

After a decade of cutoff in bad kaizo romhacks, I completely understand him being traumatized at the sight of the chucklefuck cutoff tree.

Good habit of maintaining timed hits alright. The first two RPGs I played were Super Mario RPG and Partners in Time, and after that I instinctively go for timed hits in any RPG that has animated attacks even if they aren't actually a mechanic.

I can't figure out what indicates if those spearthrower shy guys will do a charge or a tripping attack.

Is it just me or does Bubbles sound sort of like Fawful?

The Chuckola Reserve is a bit of a wake-up boss with how much HP it has, it seems.

Tune in next time to finally answer the question of how they get the cola to beanbean castle without a casket! ...oh dear.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I really like the bros attacks you get from the Cork and Cask. They're satisfying to pull off, especially chopper bros where you get to spam A and do a bunch of hits!

Also I like this boss, even though I agree it's really hard to tell where he's aiming when he shoots the blobs. One of the worse instances of perspective issues in this game.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

General_Urist wrote: 4 years agoI can't figure out what indicates if those spearthrower shy guys will do a charge or a tripping attack.
I think it's the way they twirl their spears. The tells in these games can be pretty subtle. a lot of paid attention is required.

And introducing our first Wiggler boss! There has been exactly one boss fight against these guys in each of the sequels, and in my opinion each one is better than the last.

But the Wiggler fight in Paper Jam is another league above the previous four.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Here are my two cents on Editing out fights: you don't have to feel like it's an wll or nothing thing. If ypu think you have commentary worth keeping during a fight, or if somethijg noteworthy happens (EG level ups or any spectacular failures) leave it in.
Nast

Post by Nast »

General_Urist wrote: 4 years ago I can't figure out what indicates if those spearthrower shy guys will do a charge or a tripping attack.

If they do a little hop before approaching Mario/Luigi, they'll do a charge attack. Otherwise it's the trip move.