(shouting)

chico virtual wario tierra

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

chico virtual wario tierra

Post by KobaBeach »

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Sebby19

Re: chico virtual wario tierra

Post by Sebby19 »

How about an actual intro...

Welcome to VB Wario Land, the 2nd game in the Wario Land series! The undisputed, #1 ranked, best game to play on the Virtual Boy. I don't think any other games on other consoles can claim a title like that.

And if you have a 3DS, you can watch this in 3D! Especially notable during the treasure rooms.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Shame raocow couldn't get the 3D youtube output working for this.

If you have 3D glasses, here's how it's supposed to look:

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: chico virtual wario tierra de los muertos

Post by Awoo »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago Image
Angola?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago Shame raocow couldn't get the 3D youtube output working for this.

If you have 3D glasses, here's how it's supposed to look:

Oh cool, I can watch this perfectly, without the need for glasses on my 3DS!

In Rao's video, I had to turn on the red/blue glasses icon to sorta get the 3D effect. It was only really noticable in the treasure rooms, and of course I'm just blendin red and blue, so you can still see that.

I forget which VB emulator I downloaded, but by default it just let me play in 2D. I also remember settings to change the colour from red/black to white/black, or blue/black, or green/black, etc.
I don't think I had mine setup correctly, as my window was cutting off the right side of the screen.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

This game honestly looks pretty cool to play (emulated, at least) once you get past the colour. Though if one uses their imagination, they can see the purple hues as a unique cave aesthetic.
warpio

Post by warpio »

I can't believe Nintendo never remastered this game on the 3DS. Talk about a wasted opportunity lol.

This is a great sequel to the first Wario Land. It actually gets quite a bit harder than the first game later on too. Although I'm not quite sure if that's just because I don't have as much experience with this game as I do the first Wario Land, or if the game really is that much harder.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I'm also surprised VB games never made it to the 3DS Virtual Console. Missed opportunity there, but Nintendo is all about making weird decisions (like GBA on Wii U, but not 3DS)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Wow, the spritework in this game is, like, seriously beautiful.
churine

Post by churine »

I'm not sure what emulator are you using raocow but in vbjin (the one I use) among view options you can change the coloring (red+blue, yellow+cyan, grayscale, all red etc) and how the two screens are displayed (right now is at anaglyph)
you should probably set it to side-to-side and only record one screen to avoid blurryness, with whichiever palette feels nicer (gray or yellow work very well, red is too dark but I guess good for that OG experience)

(also it seems you're using a pretty old emulator if graphics are glitchy?)

the automatic pause is that every x minutes the game will autopause for eye strain concerns, all VB games had it, you can turn it off

also iirc the game doesn't save? I vaguely remember that no VB game has a battery.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago I'm also surprised VB games never made it to the 3DS Virtual Console. Missed opportunity there, but Nintendo is all about making weird decisions (like GBA on Wii U, but not 3DS)
GBA on 3DS was mostly nixed by "we can't actually add the other Virtual Console features endemic to the other emulated platforms to GBA VC while still having it run in hardware mode". Which translates to "it doesn't go to sleep when you close the lid, which eats battery life like a mother."

And yes, I'm speaking from experience. VC injection is my preferred way to play GBA games on my 3ds, but it simply does not work for the kinds of games I want to play - RPGs - in the timeframes that I like to play them - during my bathroom breaks at work - due to the battery life issue. GBA VC is still running when the system is closed, in contrast to every other piece of nds and 3ds software (which gets suspended).

As for why there was no Virtual Boy VC, you're talking about writing an entire 3d-aware emulator for a system with a total retail library of 22 games (half of which were exclusive to one region or another), of which maybe six would sell. Missed opportunity or not, Nintendo would have lost money on that bet.
Last edited by raekuul 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Why don't you just turn off the console once you're done playing? Many GBA RPGs know that they're on a "commute or bathroom break" handheld, so they have save anywhere, quicksave or other features for that.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I do do that, but that's not usually an option during long battles (cough-Chain of Memories-cough), and you have to sit through the boot screens each time (for some games that's not an issue, but for others - where every developer that so much as looked at the project gets a splash screen - that's basically the entire session).
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

broke: yelling at the screen because raocow missed a couple of really obvious doors
woke: yelling at the screen because raocow didn't try throwing enemies at the coin clouds (admittedly I don't know if that actually does anything)

Virtual Boyness aside though this game really does look good for 1995 and I dig the mine setting, geddit?
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

raekuul wrote: 4 years ago As for why there was no Virtual Boy VC, you're talking about writing an entire 3d-aware emulator for a system with a total retail library of 22 games (half of which were exclusive to one region or another), of which maybe six would sell. Missed opportunity or not, Nintendo would have lost money on that bet.
p. sure the idea was less "add the VB to the VC" and more "remake solely this game with the same gameplay but with actual 3D and color"

admittedly it looks pretty small for a remake to be a standard retail release, but i could imagine it being pretty well received as an e-shop exclusive or if it got the donkey kong gb treatment of massively expanding the game past its original levels
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Nintendo did do that 3D classics series that had a handful of NES games made 3D. Though I don't know if the games were manually recreated or if they were able to just make some kind of NES emulator that put different layers on different levels of 3D.
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

YES!!!! I have waited literally YEARS for this since I first requested it on the Patapon Q&A videos!

This is the only Virtual Boy game I ever played, in a display at Blockbuster Video in the 90s, and it may have left me with a skewed perception of the Virtual Boy's overall quality.

By the way, I am legit watching this LP with 3-D glasses on, and it looks amazing.

On the downside, I may develop an astigmatism by the time this LP is over.
I change this sig every year for Advent
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

going forward the videos are gonna be in greyscale because I am legit afraid of hurting some people :I
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
rena
type 2 invested entity
First name: cat
Pronouns: spider
https://rena.talkhaus.com/

Post by rena »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago going forward the videos are gonna be in greyscale because I am legit afraid of hurting some people :I
thats the authentic virtual boy experience
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

raocow wrote:going forward the videos are gonna be in greyscale because I am legit afraid of hurting some people :I
yeah the default famous hot magenta is kinda hard to look at at the best of times. It's a common complaint with that series of VB emulators but it makes sense from the standpoint that that precise color is neutral with respect to the red/cyan that would be used if you're wearing Anaglyph Glasses.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago going forward the videos are gonna be in greyscale because I am legit afraid of hurting some people :I
there definitely should be a way to record it so that one can enable or disable the 3d when watching on youtube. I have no idea how to do it though

the video i posted earlier in the thread as an option to enable/disable the 3d, with the 3d disabled being pure greyscale.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

That's totally fair. It was fun watching the first episode in 3D, but it would get old real fast.
I change this sig every year for Advent
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Aww, I was looking forward to watching this on my 3DS.

Quick, someone who knows something! Tell raocow how to upload in proper 3D!
The example SAJewers posted looks great!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years agoThe undisputed, #1 ranked, best game to play on the Virtual Boy. I don't think any other games on other consoles can claim a title like that.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Does anyone even talk about that game?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica