(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Kouhai

Post by Ashan »

I'd be shocked if raocow continued past SS. I'm a pretty big fan of the series but this is the only one I really have an interest in seeing an LP of cause the writing is so good. Plus DS LPs are weird, especially for that game where the top screen is a continuation of the bottom screen, there's not a good way to fit that into a YouTube video
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago I'd be shocked if raocow continued past SS. I'm a pretty big fan of the series but this is the only one I really have an interest in seeing an LP of cause the writing is so good. Plus DS LPs are weird, especially for that game where the top screen is a continuation of the bottom screen, there's not a good way to fit that into a YouTube video
I wouldn't mind seeing BiS in the future, but yeah. It's really just an idle thought for if this somehow sparks the want to do an "ALL THE MARIO AND LUIGI"
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

Don't forget to use your Bros attacks on dangerous enemies! Also, notice than when you clip the wings off a Parabeanie, it becomes a regular Beanie and does way less damage, so you may want to focus first on getting rid of both sets of wings before actually killing them.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

warpio wrote: 4 years ago Bowser's Inside Story is great too, but I'm not a fan of the heavy touchscreen focus that game had with all of Bowser's attacks being touchscreen based and a whole bunch of forced touchscreen minigames being part of story progress.
For me it was the microphone. It took me a long time to get the hang of using the microphone for giant Bowser's breath attack.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Bean wrote: 4 years agoI'd say playing three games a day would be a key in doing that. Also doesn't help when you feel like the buttons should be somewhere different. See Mega Man 9's start and select buttons being reversed for proof of that.
Ah yeah, that's a fair point actually. I was too caught up on "there's literally just two buttons here" to consider that, lol.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Kleetus wrote: 4 years ago
warpio wrote: 4 years ago Bowser's Inside Story is great too, but I'm not a fan of the heavy touchscreen focus that game had with all of Bowser's attacks being touchscreen based and a whole bunch of forced touchscreen minigames being part of story progress.
For me it was the microphone. It took me a long time to get the hang of using the microphone for giant Bowser's breath attack.
The giant battles in that game are so stupid. They're all just spectacle so they could put them in ads, but in the context of the game they're throwing all your stats out the window so you can play the world's most simplified version of a turn-based battle system ever implemented where every move is a QTE that involves the touchscreen or microphone. They did it again in Dream Team and it's just as dumb. Paper Jam thankfully got rid of these in place of a little rompy minigame that at the very least felt fully interactive instead of watching a bunch of cutscenes that are trying to convince you you're doing something cool or interesting.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Having watched up to the latest episode, I think leaving fights unedited is working out for the most part. The commentary you have during battles so far seem entertaining and seamless, so it doesn't feel that those battles are boring or redundant. It seems fine to leave them alone unless you want to edit them out.

I also noticed that Luigi's speed is a little low, so he keeps getting his first turn after some of the enemies attack.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I personally also prefer seeing all the battles. But it's good to keep options open, for later in the game.

I remember that Luigi can lag far behind in Speed, if you don't keep tabs on that. Out of all the stats, Speed is the one I like to have matched by both Bros. I'll explain why after Starbeans Cafe (which could be today)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
General_Urist

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Rise To The Challenge

Post by General_Urist »

Is keeping speed up really that important? It still amounts to 2 bros actions for each enemy action. Plus, the one time I tried keeping Luigi's speed stat up with Mario's, it required a large effort that I didn't feel worth it with the opportunity cost.

I wonder, is this the first time raocow has had to manage money in a game he's played? He's more controlled with the herbs than I ever was.

Glad to see the revamped controls are working out! This session went well.

Is there a way to tell how many times Fighter Flys can jump?
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Whether you realize it or not, I think remapping your buttons improved your play like 10 times over in this episode. I don't necessarily agree with having two A button mappings cause that's kinda needlessly overcomplicating things in a control setup you're already struggling with, but whatever works for you I guess

Also I just about had an aneurysm when you were trying to figure out how to turn the valve and tried the high jump but not the spin. Especially when a few minutes earlier you saw a plugged cork and immediately thought to spin on it for some reason!
General_Urist wrote: 4 years ago Is there a way to tell how many times Fighter Flys can jump?
I don't think so but it doesn't matter cause as soon as they start moving forward they'll keep moving forward.
Mea

Post by Mea »

That was a substantially improved run, good job!
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

General_Urist wrote: 4 years ago Is keeping speed up really that important? It still amounts to 2 bros actions for each enemy action. Plus, the one time I tried keeping Luigi's speed stat up with Mario's, it required a large effort that I didn't feel worth it with the opportunity cost.
The normal speed you get from level ups plus the speed you get from other, non-roulette sources should suffice for the game.

I think if you lag way too far behind, the enemies will actually get to double attack you. This kinda doesn't matter if you just counter them, though.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Wow...

Anyway, the only remake note worth noting is that Beanbean Castle Town looks a lot different in its initial appearance. The place looks far bleaker, to give the idea that the place has been thoroughly wrecked. (Though one could argue that the GBA version gives off a super-dystopic vibe for being glaringly bright despite the destruction) That said, I could swear the shot of the downed Beanbean Castle person (which is when you meet "Lady Lima") looks a bit different, but I was moving too fast to notice.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Oh yeah, also I'm not crazy thinking that old man laying on the ground has blood on his face, right? How did that slip through in an E rated game?
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

...wait, raocow, do you not have functional-plumbing-based failsafes installed in your residence? I thought they were standard in this day and age
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

To be fair, "fixing" such an inane security system isn't something anyone would think of or do on accident.

Though that brings up its own question...

Does Beanbean Castle just not have working toilets? :|
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

I mean, do a race of living beans really need toilets?
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Wow, fixing the buttons really did improve rao's game.

It helps that the Super Fly's are just a recolor of the Fighter Fly's from Stardust Fields.

This might be a bit hand holdy, but tomorrow, don't forget to go into the prison cell that was keeping the real Lady Lima!

ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Xenesis wrote: 4 years ago I mean, do a race of living beans really need toilets?
No...but effective plumbing helps water planets better, as well as maintain a balanced water table
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Sage - Raise To The Challenge

Post by Awoo »

General_Urist wrote: 4 years ago I wonder, is this the first time raocow has had to manage money in a game he's played? He's more controlled with the herbs than I ever was.
Nah, he's had to manage his money in Hollow Knight. THAT took some farming, as did La-Mulana

dang you capitalism

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Wow, it looks like changing the controls made a huge difference. If I had known how raocow had his controls set up I definitely would have also suggested changing it, because having the buttons set up any other way when everything is clearly designed with the GBA's button layout in mind just seems crazy to me.

Anyway, now that raocow has finally leveled up again after not doing so for two videos I can continue the thing I was doing where I keep track of his bonus stat allocations.
The first number is the total increase, while the numbers in brackets show each individual level up.
Mario
HP +0
BP +3 (+2 +1)
POW +8 (+2 +1 +1 +1 +3)
DEF +2 (+2)
SPEED +0
STACHE +2 (+2)

Luigi
HP +0
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +10 (+1 +3 +1 +1 +4)
DEF +2 (+2)
SPEED +0
STACHE +1 (+1)

Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Man, I had absolutely forgotten Paper Jam was even a thing.
ImageImage
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

So did I approximately 3 minutes after I finished it