(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - The Ninji Saga

Post by Ivy »

Uh-oh! Not a very fun post to snipe the new page with!

...looking forward to

Bowletta's Bobs. The more accurate depiction of Super Crown morphology.

3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Implo

Post by Implo »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years agoKamek is he
So he's a male after all. I guess, what deceived me was his appearance in Yoshi Island - him flying on broom. Usually in the old anime flying on broom is domain of witches. Of course, right now there is Harry Potter, so everybody can fly on broom.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Really no need to discuss which genital configuration gives you the horn
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Ivy wrote: 4 years ago Uh-oh! Not a very fun post to snipe the new page with!
Mata Hari wrote: Really no need to discuss which genital configuration gives you the horn
what the fuck did i just miss

Ivy wrote: 4 years ago ...looking forward to

why does the mario character have bobbies

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Grounder

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario's Misadventure

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

The exchange rate is indeed 1:10, which means it is not very good for getting Hee Beans once you clear the single stages. I actually don't think you can play the single stages again, either.

Given how short level 3 was, that would be the best place in the game to get the beans, so it's just a one-time reward.
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

Local bovine single-handedly reopens gem mine after asking "Why does Mario sound so sad when he’s saying nut?".
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

You know, I never spent much time on the minecart game. Those sprites of Mario and Luigi when they accept to ride the carts again -- are they unique? It kinda threw me off cause I feel like I've never seen them before.
I don't blame the devs for not using them much cause they're... not great. Mario's hand is huge for some reason and I don't even know what Luigi is doing.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I'm so glad rao found the lady that murdered the previous homeowner.
Wut.

raocow actually did very well in the minigame today. It's officially called Mysterious Minecarts.
Once you unlock the marathon mode, you keep going until you either reach the end again, or you miss a single diamond. You are allowed to get hit by the thwomps, bats, and boos as many times as you don't want.
Sadly there is no special prize for getting all 125 diamonds (no easy feat), and the max beans you can get is 9 (according to Mariowiki).

Future official minigames are score-based instead of level-based, so keep that in mind.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - The Ninja Sage

Post by Awoo »

Ivy wrote: 4 years ago Uh-oh! Not a very fun post to snipe the new page with!

...looking forward to

oh, gods, I forgot that was even a thing.

send bobs and vagene

pls don't though srsly

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Chirei wrote: 4 years ago Might as well also do this too while i'm on a math kick and it's still too hot to sleep and raocow now has the hammers:

MAYRO AND LOOG: JUMP/HAMMER PROFICIENCIES
People seem to have found the attack constants for their jump and hammer attacks, and they are actually different!

-Mario-
Jump: 0.4778
Hammer*: 0.3175 / 0.4171 / 0.5167

-Luigi-
Jump: 0.3984
Hammer*: 0.3175 / 0.4373 / 0.5571

*There is apparently RNG involved when you time the hammer correctly. It will just randomly use one of these three constants no matter what. These are NOT values for a failed input.

If the bros have 100 POW against an enemy with 20 DEF, this is what it would look like using the damage formula above:

Mario jumps on enemy: 20 (rounded up from 19.112)
Mario hits enemy with hammer: 13 / 17 / 21
Average hammer damage (to mitigate RNG interference): 17

Luigi jumps on enemy: 16 (rounded up from 15.936)
Luigi hits enemy with hammer: 13 / 18 / 23
Average hammer damage (to mitigate RNG interference): 18

In extremely simplified terms, this means:
Mario is about 20~25% better with jumps than Luigi is.
Luigi is about 5~10% better with hammers than Mario is.
It's also worth noting that the damage variables for the hammer change based on

what hammer you have.

Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I get where raocow's coming from regarding this whole advice issue; when I'm considering playing a game for the first time I usually try to avoid any discussion about it to avoid seeing any kind of tips (as well as other kinds of spoilers). With that in mind, while there are times where I really want to give raocow a hand, I always try to keep any advice to myself.

Anyway, I don't have much else to say here. I was thinking of making a joke, but I'm not sure of a good way to say it, so just pretend I made a funny quip about raocow playing Donkey Kong Country here.

Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Myself and many others absolutely did get walled in by accidentally only upgrading HP.

I couldn't get past the piranha plant boss at the airport because it heals faster than I could damage it.

I don't mean to be 'that guy', but no, you did not get walled because you only upgraded HP.

Piranha mom only heals, at most, 20 HP per turn-10 HP per piranha plant that matches its color. If it has no piranha plants alive, or only one or neither matches its color, it can heal 10 or 0 per turn. So if you manage them well you can cut its healing by a lot.

But even if you don't, you can still outdamage the healing pretty easily.
Since I wanna play along with the LP, and since I've played the game before, I am doing a challenge run(despite my earlier post).

I'm using the worst gear possible(work pants/jeans and castle badge on both M&L), I'm not using beans for extra stats, I'm not grinding(fairly often running past enemies), and I'm only leveling my speed stat because it doesn't improve survivability or damage and is pretty useless to level past a certain point. I have not put a single roulette spin into power or stache, only speed.

Even with no power boosts at all, one bros. attack does around 40 damage, double the (maximum)amount of healing the boss gets each turn. And I get to do that twice a turn since there are two characters, so my damage per turn is roughly quadruple the bosses' max healing per turn. As long as you kill at least one plant so they both don't get mad and attack you at once when you hit the mom, it's not tough to burn down its HP. I didn't have to spend any actions using syrup this fight either.

I don't say all this to be rude, I just... it's not that hard of a game. It's a Mario RPG. The reason you got stuck is not because of your build, it's because you were a little kid. (I got stuck walking around the island area for at least several weeks as a kid myself.) raocow is an adult(who plays videogames basically all the time, for a living) and will do fine, regardless of what stats he chooses.

MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Shard1697 wrote: 4 years ago I don't say all this to be rude, I just... it's not that hard of a game. It's a Mario RPG. The reason you got stuck is not because of your build, it's because you were a little kid. (I got stuck walking around the island area for at least several weeks as a kid myself.) raocow is an adult(who plays videogames basically all the time, for a living) and will do fine, regardless of what stats he chooses.
I think people often forget how stubborn and short-sighted kids can be.

As a kid, I could not for the life of me get past disc 1 of FF 9, I got stuck at a certain watery boss jerk.
Of course, as an adult, I can only be baffled at how stuck I was, given that there are tons of ways to deal with it.
But well, I was just a dumb kid, so the idea of trying out new things and simply buying better equipment was not on the agenda.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Jeez well I don't know what the hell I did wrong as a kid then. But I distinctly remember fighting that thing for like half an hour and not killing it. I can't recall exactly how the baby piranha plants work off the top of my head, but I don't know, maybe I was doing something non-optimally that made my DPS worse.

All that said, my point wasn't to say that the game was hard, in fact I've stated the very opposite previously in this thread. But anyway, I'll just believe you guys who dig into the numbers cause I'm way too lazy to do that or comprehend anyone's findings.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

This is my first time really digging into the numbers of any RPG. It's kinda exciting.

But's its been really difficult for me trying to find any info on this game on the internet. The only real good spot I've found is that one link I've already referenced twice, and even then the main point of that guy's post was comparing the English and JP versions, so it doesn't go all in.

Chirei, where did you find those #s for the attack constants, because they're different than what I found.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Chirei, where did you find those #s for the attack constants, because they're different than what I found.
http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/GBx/ ... kAlgorithm

Seems accurate given the damage raocow is doing to stuff like Beanies.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

something i want to touch on from a previous convo: i don't think any of the generic mario enemies, including magikoopa, are actually gender locked, since a. it's not like most of them even have sexual characteristics, and b. even the ones that clearly don't have had characters of their species / job / whatever express a particular gender, such as bombette the bob-omb

... though i think the paper mario games have had npcs that are bob-omb couples with kids, and while that could be explained through the robots ( the dreamwork's movie ) way of doing it ... mario games are pretty damn weird

either way, it's worth keeping in mind that most mario enemies are inspired by things that a clearly sexless, reproduce in a way entirely different from animals, and / or display sex characteristics in a way that are entirely unlike how humans do so. honestly between the mario world overall seeming like a really nice place to live and a vast majority of its population falling under those previous categories ( including toads, in fact, if you interpret them as strictly mushroom beings ) i can't really imagine gender-related stuff having anywhere near the weight it does in our world

which would certainly fit in with the fact that bowser doesn't miss a beat complimenting mario's dress in odyssey. i mean, it is a nice dress

y'know until making this post i didn't realize how we've really had disappointingly few piranha plants with speaking roles

like i don't think we've even seen a singing one in a game despite them being blatantly inspired by audrey ii

strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

not many opportunities to sing in Mario, sadly.
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago Speaking of stats, I wonder what's more preferable between HP and defense.

Obviously if your max health is so low that you regularly go into single digits, you would probably want to raise your HP, but a smart RPG system would reward some investment to defense. Healing items/abilities with fixed health would heal smaller proportions of your health as your health pool grows, but having stronger defense would allow you reduce the percentage of health lost when taking damage, so it works better with those heals.
Another thing to think about is that, if you don't raise HP, then your healing items will typically overheal you and so be "wasted" in some sense. Here we see raoman using 25HP healing mushrooms when Mario is at something like 8/18 so there's definietly some milage to be gotten out of a little more max health, possibly tanking one extra hit before needing a mushroom, and therefore needing fewer of them. Of course, this mostly only matters if healing items are at least somewhat scarce, which they don't seem to be so far...
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

This game absolutely showers you in healing items, and they're cheap to buy as well.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Arctangent wrote:

y'know until making this post i didn't realize how we've really had disappointingly few piranha plants with speaking roles

like i don't think we've even seen a singing one in a game despite them being blatantly inspired by audrey ii

Closest thing.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Chirei

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Kouhai

Post by Chirei »

That was no input delay - when a bro dies, the extra weight of the downed bro will make it much harder to defend than normal. If you slip up in this game it will compound extremely fast.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Hammers are seriously annoying to use in this game. Yes, even for someone who's been playing this for years. I still don't have the timing down. The remakes changed the timing for the better, so you don't have to worry about waiting too long on the defense swing.

Also it's fun seeing this and knowing that you could still have gone somewhere significantly worse. Beanbean Outskirts is a huge place and there aren't many roadblocks stopping you from walking straight into a dangerous area. Actually, it's a good thing you saw the bridge into Beanbean Town when you did, since it's entirely possible to walk south and completely miss it.

You got that super-convenient warp pipe, though! So this sidetrack was entirely worth it in my opinion!!
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

So, how long until raocow finally figures out the controls, or will he never?

I know it's 100% not intentional, but it's starting hilarious/cringy.
Last edited by SAJewers 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB