(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - The Ninji Saga

Post by FPzero »

If you're unsure what the timing of Bounce Bros is, there's no shame in quickly trying out a Level 1 version of it on a weak enemy so you can see the timing with the slowdowns. Nice job with the boss fight!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago one last thing: the hammerhead bros say only the bro in front can use a hammer but this is a lie aimed at preventing you from having fun. check your back actions with L
freshtalk wrote: 4 years ago I also vote to testing out using the hammer with the bro in the back too.
Guys, he's had the hammer for all of a minute so far. Let him find these things himself. He'll OBVIOUSLY stumble upon this naturally just like EVERYONE does when they play this cause you have to cycle past the hammer to get to the jumps. This is the same as when people told him to make Luigi drink water. They're just fun little touches in the game that are fun to stumble upon yourself. You don't need to direct him on things like this, all you're doing is hyping it which inevitably ruins the fun.
Now what's gonna happen is he'll try this out, go "oh look it does nothing, thanks for making me do that" and continue on. Just like he did with the Luigi water drinking thing.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

also like honestly it's a mario RPG

it's not that punishing, there doesn't need to be that much advice in general.
especially in terms of character building. it's not like you can really mess up mario or luigi's stats, whatever you do with the roulettes the game is still reasonable.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Even back when I was saying "this lp won't go well" there were all these people saying "why? we can guide him if he needs help" like... no... no... you don't... auuugh
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

raocow, here's a little tip! you can use the d-pad to move your chosen brother while outside of combat! i hope this will help you in the future. also, if you "save", you can return to your progress at a later date. this is helpful if you have to

sleep or go to work

(this is satire that is subtly telling you guys to lay off the hints alright)
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I vote for a Mario Bros video :demo: :iris:

Honestly though my memory is a bit blurry but doesn't the game eventually teach you more advanced stuff you can do with the hammer later anyway? The existing moves you have get a few upgrades during the course of gameplay. I don't see why you worry that he will miss this.

General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

You know, after years of seeing raocow handle all new platform hell like a duck to water, I guess seeing him have trouble learning a new game is an alien experience to us.

For the record the Rexes are entirely impossible to counter unless you have squished them at least once. I agree, it's real annoying.

After Chuggaaconroy, raocow is the second LPer I've seen call the castle a Power Plant. Who has ever heard of a cooling tower with crenellations?

Great to see our Bovine has Splash Bros down, though Bounce Bros continues to cause him trouble. You actually killed that boss impressively quickly!

In case you haven't noticed, Nuts recover HP of both bros at once.
sylvie

Post by sylvie »

I wonder if the people who are worried about raocow putting too many bonus points into POW have actually tried an all-POW run....

Maybe they're just worried about raocow killing later bosses in like two turns and not getting to see all their attacks?

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Oh yeah, that's a concern I didn't even think about.

First time I played I too thought that Beanbean Castle looked like a Nuclear Station.

Yo Ashan, just report them if they bug you that much.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago

Honestly though my memory is a bit blurry but doesn't the game eventually teach you more advanced stuff you can do with the hammer later anyway? The existing moves you have get a few upgrades during the course of gameplay. I don't see why you worry that he will miss this.

Well, later on you learn the move to shrink Mario or bonk Luigi into the ground. But right now if you try smacking either of them on the head, they'll just squish and bounce back up and get mad at whoever did the smacking. It's just a fun little joke at this point in the game. But the punchline only hits properly if you discover it by screwing around, like you're supposed to.

Sebby19 wrote: Yo Ashan, just report them if they bug you that much.
We need to publicly point out bad examples of backseating so it doesn't keep happening.

Honestly, I think the hand-holding as a whole has been alright so far. It's kind of an impossible task to expect an entire community to not do it cause it only takes one to ruin it, and also everyone has their own threshold for what they consider hand-holding. I think people get a little antsy with suggestions because they want to have an effect on the LP. I get it, it's fun when the video man says your name or acknowledges a post you made. But at the same time, a lot of the fun of these games is going in blind and discovering things in the way the developers intended.

An example of hand-holding I don't mind is pointing out that dumping all level-ups into POW will probably screw you over in the long run. Cause like, if we get to a point in the series where we can't progress cause level-ups were chosen badly, it's gonna ruin the fun for everyone. Having to grind to fix it is fine when you're playing on your own, but when it's a couple thousand people trying to enjoy the journey, it's better to nip that in the bud.
sylvie

Post by sylvie »

I think balancing your stats was probably the intended way to play, but I support raocow putting all his points into POW if he wants to. It's kind of a weird fun way to play the game and I really doubt he'll get stuck and have to grind.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

I remember the dragon taking a bit longer to defeat, but then again, i was like 9 or less when i played the game.
ImageImage
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I'm kinda just trusting the people that said they screwed themselves over by doing that. I definitely screwed myself over by pumping everything into health (because I was a kid that just mashed A and didn't know you could select other stats) and then I couldn't deal enough damage to fight a specific boss later in the game. I don't really know the consequences of doing that with POW but I thought some people said it turns out bad in the long run?
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Rob-Omb's Quest

Post by Kleetus »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago So out of the 5 games so far, which one is your favorite, you guys? Mine has to be Dream Team.
I'll second SS because I really like the side characters, my opinion's kind useless because I haven't played all of the M&L games though.
Dragohoho is an interesting boss because of how well he makes use of the game's dodging mechanics.
When the stone is active, you have less time to react to Dragohoho's attacks. Destroying the stone is optional, but makes it easier to dodge the boss.
Looking through some stuff, I found that Rex drops are different depending on whether they are full sized or crushed.

Weirdly, Rexs's absorb firebrand attacks, even though they appear super early in the game.

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

@Ashan:
Later on enemies and bosses would outspeed and destroy you. Other 'disadvantage' would be killing bosses too quickly, losing out on some of the experience of what they can do.
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Some interesting trivia about Lucky hits. Your Stache obviously controls how often those happen, but it does that by comparing itself to the enemy's stache luck stat. The % rate of Lucky hits changes depending on if your Stache is higher or lower than the enemy's, and by how much.

So for those that are huge RPG nerds, is this system pretty unique?

Thankfully, enemies can't land Lucky hits against you.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Why was everyone mean about yesterday's boss? I forgot the gimmick when I fought that boss just the other day, and I wasted a lot of BP for that. He should be commended for it :(
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago I don't really know the consequences of doing that with POW but I thought some people said it turns out bad in the long run?
Really depends.

It pays off exponentially the more crap you are able to dodge flying at you. If you get hit a lot, you're going to be going down like every turn. The "mistake" in this case can be eventually overcome by skill. You just have to learn while getting 1-2 hit all the time.
Sebby19 wrote: The % rate of Lucky hits changes depending on if your Stache is higher or lower than the enemy's, and by how much.

So for those that are huge RPG nerds, is this system pretty unique?
That depends on what you are looking for.

In Fire Emblem, there is a crit value that is affected both ways by Luck VS enemy Luck. Usually most enemies have nonexistent Luck or anything that can crit you because they do triple damage in a game with Paper Mario health values, which usually means you are dead and there is nothing you can do about it.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

It's been a long time since I've played this game, so I don't have a very detailed memory of this game, but I remember liking Prince Peasley a lot, and seeing raocow's reaction to him was pretty great. And while I haven't played in a while, I do feel like that boss went by rather quickly. Though that may be because of raocow's insistence on upgrading POW all the time.

At this point for raocow Mario and Luigi +5 and +6 POW respectively from the bonus wheel, while if I were playing I'd only have upgraded POW once and I'd be lucky to have +3. And this is still an early point in the game, where even just getting +1 on the bonus wheel is still a decent increase.

Since I took the time to go back and look at all of raocow's level up bonuses, I figured I might start keeping track of them, so here's all the bonus stats raocow has gained so far.
The first number is the total increase, while the numbers in brackets show each individual level up.

Mario
HP +0
BP +3 (+2 +1)
POW +5 (+2 +1 +1 +1)
DEF +0
SPEED +0
STACHE +2 (+2)

Luigi
HP +0
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +6 (+1 +3 +1 +1)
DEF +0
SPEED +0
STACHE +1 (+1)

Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - The Ninji Sage

Post by Awoo »

Hey, raocow,
nut(s) to you!
because you got a nut in that video!
:catplanet:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Speaking of stats, I wonder what's more preferable between HP and defense.

Obviously if your max health is so low that you regularly go into single digits, you would probably want to raise your HP, but a smart RPG system would reward some investment to defense. Healing items/abilities with fixed health would heal smaller proportions of your health as your health pool grows, but having stronger defense would allow you reduce the percentage of health lost when taking damage, so it works better with those heals.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago An example of hand-holding I don't mind is pointing out that dumping all level-ups into POW will probably screw you over in the long run. Cause like, if we get to a point in the series where we can't progress cause level-ups were chosen badly, it's gonna ruin the fun for everyone. Having to grind to fix it is fine when you're playing on your own, but when it's a couple thousand people trying to enjoy the journey, it's better to nip that in the bud.
M&LSS is just not a game that walls you if you build your characters wrong. It's not that kind of RPG. The worst case scenario is the game ends up being somewhat harder, but you never end up in a situation where you need to grind to reasonably be able to progress.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Myself and many others absolutely did get walled in by accidentally only upgrading HP.

I couldn't get past the piranha plant boss at the airport because it heals faster than I could damage it.

Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

I'll happily admit I was too hand-holdy there, yeah.

In my defense, I was trying to nudge him into making Luigi smack Mario with a hammer for a cheap laugh. You can't possibly hate such noble intentions.

convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Mea

Post by Mea »

Chirei wrote: 4 years ago In Fire Emblem, there is a crit value that is affected both ways by Luck VS enemy Luck. Usually most enemies have nonexistent Luck or anything that can crit you because they do triple damage in a game with Paper Mario health values, which usually means you are dead and there is nothing you can do about it.
And also since any of your units dying means most players will invariably reset the whole level, potentially undoing up to an hour's worth of progress.

Are the stat growths in this game probability based? I've always really enjoyed that aspect of Fire Emblem's character growth mechanic, I wonder what other rpgs do that.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I think Mario's and Luigi's stat growth is fixed, if you ignore the user bonuses.

Nuts are super useful to heal both Bros at the same time, in battle. They were my favorite item my first time playing the game.
Which makes it odd that I barely used them in the other games.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica